Dawn of War?

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!

Moderator: Global Moderators

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:00 pm

M.Steiner
Done a different banner now :)

Edit: One more :o - Nicer version of the above.

Last edited by M.Steiner on Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:07 pm

BlackDove
First one's better, although I like the tips of the star :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:02 pm

Crazee Eight
I much prefer the 2nd one. Very nice. We'll have to find a way to get that around, since I can't seem to save the pics when I view them (damned quicktime plugin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:30 am

M.Steiner
Here's the files for the updated badge and banner :) (I made the badge look a bit clearer)

Badge Download | Banner Download

Same colour scheme :
Primary - 44, 44, 60
Secondary - Black
Trim - White
Weapon - Black
Eyes - 119, 5, 7

:thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:58 am

Kon
Must resist..... don't look at game.... don't want...... looks stupid........
Man this looks awsome! I want it now!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:14 am

Crazee Eight
Looks nice for Marines. The trim might need work for use on Chaos, since white looks a bit silly for them. As for Eldar, I think the secondary and primary should be the same. The simple reason for this is that, if the secondary is left black, most of the Eldar grav tank's hull will be jet black and won't show any detail. If it's unified it'll look like this.

I think we're pretty much set on the marines, though I might tweak the trim colour to just off-white or light grey on mine, just to see how it looks. The other races are, of course, totally contentious. Chaos will look good with a similar scheme to Marines, but I think Orks and Eldar will require a bit of looking at. Nice stuff so far though Maester, love the Badge and Banner. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:14 am

Inquisitor
Here come the noise marines!

I guess I should go buy this. I love 40k, but I suck at RTS games.

What to do, what to do...
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:34 pm

M.Steiner
Inquisitor wrote:Here come the noise marines!

I guess I should go buy this. I love 40k, but I suck at RTS games.

What to do, what to do...
You know you really wanna get it hehe ;D

I'm gonna see if another shop in town has it tomorrow, hopefully i will be in luck. If not, i'll have to see if they can order it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:45 pm

Inquisitor
Oh I *WANT* to get it.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:16 pm

Kon
Dawn of War = Warhammer 4000?

:smack: Curses at self for not getting into the open beta awhile back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:47 pm

M.Steiner
Kahn wrote:Dawn of War = Warhammer 4000?
Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn of War, yep :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 pm

Gryphon
It is - as the say - le sex.

I love it to bits. I'll be looking for challenges as soon as my neocron client is installed :)
ESO - EU - Ebonheart
Jalfrezi - Khajit DK/Destro
Peeks-Through-Windows - Argonian Templar/Resto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:38 pm

NightDreams
how about we get some games sorted out? from what i've seen there are never many people in the Gates of Varl lobby so we could meet up in there.

ND

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:54 pm

M.Steiner
The shops in my town have either sold out or are stupid and think it ain't even released yet so atm i can't get it :( :smack:
I would have bought it off the net with CC but i ended up using that CC to upgrade my 2 NC accounts with.

Hopefully a shop in town will get it back in stock sometime soon so i can play with u guys :sweat:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:48 pm

Inquisitor
I am gonna head over to a mall this weekend and see how bad the prices in Canada are for video games.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:35 pm

Gryphon
I just had the best battle EVER. Bloodshed alley was the map.

I was Eldar, Vs a Chaos force on the opposite side of the map.

I started off with 2 guardian units and as many bonesingers as I could muster, and got to work securing the SL's round my base. Laying down Listening posts as I went.

As I moved to each cluster of SL's I placed a webway portal - this way I could bring some troops to bear if things went pearrshaped.

From there it was just wash, rinse and repeat - until I reached the northern tip of the battlefield, My recon group of rangers was forunate, as it was under the cover of cameleoline cloaks, I say his heretics setting up a secondary base, using the power of the webway, I deployed 2 more ranger units around the perimeter of this base in progress, surrounding my opponent, I picked my targets- and unstealthed.

It was pretty fluid, watching the rangers unstealth and let loose - a matter of seconds and the expansion was brought to a grinding halt. I stealthed up, and took up some ambush positions, ready for the force that would surely come, under cover of the rangers, a webway portal was constructed, and shrouded, out of which my assault force of reapers and banshees poured out.

It was a massacre - on both sides - we lost practically all our combat units as we threw more and more units into the fray - the climax of the battle and the turning point was just ahead.

Striding out of the fog, and towards my avatar - came the bloodthirster. At this point - I was frantically clicking away at every build button I could - I knew my opponent was doing the same, the battle hung in the balance for me at this point - I had overstretched my forces, and if the bloodthirster survived, it would wreak havoc on my forward positions, crippling my advantage - and ruining my income - I would be hopeless, Luckily for me - the long trek towards my avatar took it's toll, as the bloodthirster payed the price for lack of combat - it was at less tahn half health - just less than my avatar - possibly one of the best deamon fights ever took place - with my avatar delivering the final blow with a round house kick.

from then on it was a case of weathering the storm, and soon his base was exposed thanks to the prying eyes of my rangers, whom I set on assasination duty - executing any builder units with ease - in the mean time - I sent a small force of grav weapons towards on of his entry pionts to his base - feinting - which drew a sizable amount of his attention ( I wished I'd have sent dreadnoughts, but as an ex eldar player from 40K, it seems a shame to waste spirit stones!)

While he was fighting the eastern assault - my sledgehammer force came from the sputh - with no units to slow them down - they were able to break through his defenses - had I not feinted his eastern entrance - my sledgehammer would have been bogged down in a close assault and chewed up by his emplaced defenses, as it stood, it was a clear advance.

with his emplacements gone, I got to work - the banshees made short work of his troop defences, while a squadron of fire prisms took down his tanks. from then on - it was a few running battles at various map locations as he struck out to find a new foothold, while his main base crumbled.

It wouldn't wprk, because by that point, I had the webway in place, covering the entirety the map.

What made this battle even more enjoyable was the fact that he played in character - as did I, and took his defeat sportingly. After the battle we chatted for a while, and it turns out he lives in manchester, so in a couple of weeks, I'll be testing an eldar force against his chaos on the tabletop.

A good waste of the better part of an afternoon.

Overall game time - 2 Hours. :thumb:
ESO - EU - Ebonheart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:32 pm

Scorpius
Just Sussing the game out now, BAH Eldar beating chaos what a wuss Chaos player....... ;D
I've been enjoying the game so far.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:04 pm

Inquisitor
Picked it up. Not installed it yet.

Great recap, Gryph :) Sounds like a blast to watch.
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:40 am

Talon
I need to go get this game. I played the demo and it is awesome. I have never really been into Warhammer but the plotlines and different factions seem pretty neat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:18 am

Gryphon
Just watch that opening movie BOOTIFUL! *Hugs the movie*

GW are at a place now that they can probably undertake any kind of business venture and succeed, They have strong links in the gaming development industry - Several film studios and about 25-30 Years of background to thier hobby, I'm telling ya - if they wanted to, the could make a shedload of films, and each one would be the highest grossing of it's genre.

Just a few -

Armageddon
Horus Heresy
Tyranic War 1
TW2 ( the eldar)
Colonel scheafers bunch
Tanith First and Only.

Bleh - too many to mention - the only thing they need is money really.
ESO - EU - Ebonheart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:35 am

Scorpius
Its not GW its GJ as in Games Jerkshop who almost killed the PnP roleplay hobby in Birmingham......... :mad:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:11 pm

Scikar
I hope they do release some films - they would be awesome. At least, they could be. I can see them going the same way as the games, i.e. release one crap film after another and then finally realise that isn't doing the label any justice and get someone into do a proper film which rocks.

Btw Gryph, you can set anti-grav platforms to overdrive, which actually makes them move faster than regular squads. Then turn it off when they arrive, and detach them if you need the squad to advance under covering fire. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:16 pm

QuantumDelta
Gryphon wrote:Just watch that opening movie BOOTIFUL! *Hugs the movie*

GW are at a place now that they can probably undertake any kind of business venture and succeed, They have strong links in the gaming development industry - Several film studios and about 25-30 Years of background to thier hobby, I'm telling ya - if they wanted to, the could make a shedload of films, and each one would be the highest grossing of it's genre.

Just a few -

Armageddon
Horus Heresy
Tyranic War 1
TW2 ( the eldar)
Colonel scheafers bunch
Tanith First and Only.

Bleh - too many to mention - the only thing they need is money really.
Yet dawn of war is the first WH Vid Game that didn't actually BITE, BADLY.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:29 pm

Gryphon
True - they were all good for what they were, but tended to be lacking somewhat -

The only things I'm not too happy about are the camera gubbins. I'd like a bigger zoom...
ESO - EU - Ebonheart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:22 pm

Crazee Eight
You mean zoom out? Cos you can zoom pretty much all the way in, and hold Alt to rotate around. Gives some pretty cool views, especially in combat.

Return to “Dawn of War”