Build sequences?

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Build sequences?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:04 am

Inquisitor
Share em, i need to get my timing down. Only way I am gonna do that is if you lot share with me :)
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:08 am

M.Steiner
Well this is how i usually always start off;

You start with your stronghold and a builder unit, i get him to start building a temple whilst i make 1 lot of infantry from my stronghold.
Whilst the builder is making the temple, the infantry start taking nearby strategic points.
Whilst they are busy doing that i make a 2nd builder to make a couple of power generators and as soon as the 1st builder has finished the temple, he gets started on an armory. > And whilst they are busy building those i start to make some marines from the temple just incase someone tries to rush me :p
Once my builders are done with them i get em to make listening post on each of the strategic points that ive captured, and also upgrading my HQ and then upgrading my points with the engagement research...

Then it depends what kinda game i'm playing really and what i feel like doing at the time, if its a take and hold game then i get onto forming an army as soon as i have enough requisition and power. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:02 am

Anubis
Site Admin
My strategy is basically the same whatever game type i'm playing. But be warned, this is a bad strategy if you're in a 1v1 game since i only produce squads late on, but it can be useful in a team game.

First of all i immediately set my Servitor to work building a Chapel Barracks whilst i get my HQ to build me another Servitor and two Scout Marine Squads. When the Servitor is produced i immediately set him to work building Plasma Generators whilst the scouts go after the Strategic Points surrounding my camp. Once my Chapel Barracks is complete i set my first Servitor to start building an armory and the second that that is completed i upgrade my HQ. Whilst the HQ is upgrading i generally raise my number of Plasma Generators to 4 and start placing Listening Posts on my Strategic Points.
When my HQ has finished upgrading i immediately set both Servitors to work building me a Machine Pit whilst in research the upgrade on my Plasma Generators. Then i normally realise that i haven't increased my squad or vehicle caps yet so i start doing that quickly.
Whilst my Machine Pit is building i start to produce a couple of Marine Squads, upgrading them to 8 man squads as soon as they appear. When my Macine Pit is built i start construction of a Dreadnought whilst my Servitors turn to building a Sacred Artifact. I never actually use my Sacred Artifact, its just there so i can upgrade my HQ again. Once the Sacred Artifact is completed i start to research my HQ upgrade.
When my HQ is upgraded again i start to build my army. This mainly consists of a full population of Marine Squads that have all been upgraded to 8 man squads, two Dreadnoughts which have been upgraded with the Twin Linked Lasercannon, and two Predators which have been upgraded with all Laser Cannon research. Then i go and attack.

Well, thats what i do. Hope it helps Quiz.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:47 pm

Inquisitor
Do you guys have a target army composition?

Anyone use Marine Librarians or Apothecaries?
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
No, i never use Librarians or Apothecaries. They are far too expensive. When i play against the Eldar i do sometimes use a Force Commander so that i can see through their cloaks, but that isn't often.
My army basically consists of three quarters normal Space Marines, one quarter Assault Marines. Then as many Predators and Dreadnoughts that i can make.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:15 pm

QuantumDelta
Inquisitor wrote:Do you guys have a target army composition?

Anyone use Marine Librarians or Apothecaries?

Heck yes, but never something I plan before a fight unless I know what the sides and map positions are, and the skill levels of the players, and, pretty much, how they play their armies.

If you commit to the same set piece setup everytime, you will start to find people handing it to you on a platter.

Task one;
Spread out with scouts, securing points.
Task two;
Maintain hold on points, and locate enemy closest/enemy your fighting- gain intel on them.
Task three;
adjust force that, at that point in time should be (if marines);
Pure Marine Squads, with dreads, for example.

Set piece strategies are easy to counter...

Libs/Apos -
You'll see me use a librarian if I ever fight the eldar, because he's a very natural counter to the farseer, no unit hinders the farseers abilities more than him.

command units between them are often the most effective things when used against other armies (they can hold their own against avatars and such if you use them properly).

Apocs;
If the enemy are using vehical heavy armies, the best counter for those vehicals are marine squads with apoc's attatched.
Simply because of the rocket/rocket/heavy bolter/plasma-or-flamer (I prefer flamer because it gives me something against orcs and seer councils), will rip any vehical a new one.

You are on the right path, though, from what I can tell in irc;
You are looking to have either; forces available early game (normally best strategy in any real RTS to be honest... rush/defend) or you want to get up to the higher tier forces faster than anyone else by far, then deploy THEM early, when they're at their most effective.

Those are the only two realistic strategies in DoW....
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:12 pm

NightDreams
Just like to point out that the build orders are different for each race, along with what race u are fighting.

When i get time i will put up the build orders i know to let u all have a look. I should do this tomorrow sometime. It will also have some tips on what units to use against what.

ND
Lies can be good, If they are put to good use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:11 am

Inquisitor
Yes, but the initial sequence is usually similar.

And it's the "getting the basics" that I struggle with in RTS games.

How to be effective early, strategy and tactics will clearly evolve and vary, but, saying "have 2-4 generators, build 2 scout units and an additional builder" etc, are what I need.

It's the fundamentals i lack.

I can play RTS games like mechcommander to some effect, but there is no building or resource gathering there. It's pure tactics and planning (and of course execution).

I picked up the strat guide, it's not as useful as this thread on this subject though.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:37 pm

NightDreams
Ok here is the build order i use for eldar.
In 1v1 games
With ur first bone singer build a aspect portal as this is happening, build 3 squads of guardians but keep them small size to start with. With these squads start taking resurces points, once the aspect portal is made research the banshee aspect stone, then a farseer.
After u have researched the aspect stone and are making a farseer start training a banshee squad.
When this is happening start building up ur guardian squads. Once you have these 5 units u are ready to attack ur foe, get ur farseer to join the banshee squad and max outt hsi squad asap.
If u do this right u now have a good chance of winning any 1v1 game.
With the farseer and banshee squad use them to tie up any strong squad or ur foes HQ unit.

In larger games such as our 4v4s this is how i start.
Use ur first bonesinger to build an aspect portal, as this is happening build 2 squads of guardians and start taking resource points. Also train a second bonesinger, once this is done get both bonesingers to build a soul shrine (yes u can have more then one builder making 1 building, just encase u didnt know) with ur aspect portal start training a farseer. As the soul shrine is about 80% done take one of ur bonesingers and start building a plasma generator. Once the soul shrine is built research the eldritch storm ability for ur farseer.
As this is happening remember to reinforce ur guardian squads. By the time eldritch storm is finished ur should have enough power and resource to train a seer council from ur webway assembly.
once this is all done get ur farseer to joib the seer council and u are now ready to take the fight to them.

Well there we go, thats how i use my eldar. Hope that helps people out.
How ever if u want to improve with one race then the best thing i can suggest is ask someone u know who uses them alot.

Such as;
Crazze_eight for Chaos
Chimera for orks
meyself for eldar
As for marines i think the posts all ready made are a good start.

ND
Lies can be good, If they are put to good use.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:20 pm

Crazee Eight
QuantumDelta wrote:Task one;
Spread out with scouts, securing points.
Don't spread out too much, grab the points closest to you first. Ignore relics and critical locations early on in 1v1.
QuantumDelta wrote:Libs/Apos -
You'll see me use a librarian if I ever fight the eldar, because he's a very natural counter to the farseer, no unit hinders the farseers abilities more than him.
No he isn't. What is there about the Librarian that makes him so good vs the Farseer?
QuantumDelta wrote:command units between them are often the most effective things when used against other armies (they can hold their own against avatars and such if you use them properly).
They might beat an Avatar or Bloodthirster when absolutely fully upgraded. Otherwise, forget it.
QuantumDelta wrote:Apocs;
If the enemy are using vehical heavy armies, the best counter for those vehicals are marine squads with apoc's attatched.
Simply because of the rocket/rocket/heavy bolter/plasma-or-flamer (I prefer flamer because it gives me something against orcs and seer councils), will rip any vehical a new one.
Explain why 2 missile launchers, a heavy bolter and a plasma gun or flamer is better vs vehicles than 4 missile launchers? :shake:
QuantumDelta wrote:You are looking to have either; forces available early game (normally best strategy in any real RTS to be honest... rush/defend) or you want to get up to the higher tier forces faster than anyone else by far, then deploy THEM early, when they're at their most effective.

Those are the only two realistic strategies in DoW....
In a game where Take and Hold is in effect, rushing is not the only tactic. Teching will require too much in the way of resources. You have to balance it out carefully to get a force large enough to secure points early, but not necessarily wipe out the enemy base (as that can backfire when a counter attack is launched)

Return to “Dawn of War”