Smithing Guide

Chocobo, wark!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Smithing Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:58 pm

Inquisitor
I stole this from teh 7th forums, who stole it from somewhere else :)

I will post a bunch and then collect the links ot them in a sticky.
This is what I would consider to be one of the most profitable crafts. And the money invested at the start, will be kindly be multiplied many times over.

For this craft I would highly recommend that you take up mining. Mining will help lower the cost of materials and also give you the extra money to feed your blacksmith skills further.

The items below are the items I would highly recommend you craft to save on money and gain your skills as fast as possible.

You can get to level 22 of smithy very easily if you mine your own ingredients, I would highly recommend Zerhun Mines, because the iron ore rate there is extremely high.

Also when every possible always use Synthesis support provided by the guild.

Lvl 2 Bronze ingot (3 Copper Ore + Tin Ore + Fire)
(Try and get as many of these as you can price of these have increased so much. It used cost 2k per stack, but since the guild point system was introduced the price of a stack no is from 4-6k you can sell these for profit but I would advise that you keep these for levelling)

Lvl 4 Bronze Sheets (Bronze Ingot + Fire)
(Made from the bronze ingots youve made)

Lvl 10 Bronze scales (Bronze Sheet + Wind)
(This is where you lose money unless you save the scales to make scale mail, if you dont have any bronze sheets, you can buy them at a decent price in the guilds, about 120g each. I personal sold them back to the guild)

Lvl 15 Tin ingots (4 Tin Ore + Fire)
(Making this doesnt really make any real profit, a stack sells at around 1k in the AH, I sold my tin ingots back to the guild, I camped the guild for tin ore, using the money which I gained from selling Iron, Zinc and darksteel ore which I mined)

Lvl 20 Iron Ingots (4 Iron Ores + Fire) (HQ results in Steel Ingot)
(This is where you start making you real profit, best to mine all the iron you can, yes it may be time consuming but time versus money I prefer to waste that extra bit of time mining than spending 2-2.8k per iron ingot. And when you fail thats a lot of money lost. Also try and save 3-4 stacks for the next items)

Lvl 22 Iron Sheet (Iron Ingot + Fire) (this is an option)
(This will give you and extra 5-7k on top of the sells from iron ingots, but does sell a bit slower than iron ingots)

Lvl 25 Spatha (lizard skin + 3 Bronze ingots + Fire)
(You can buy the lizard skins to make this but I spent about 1-2 hours (also I found that lizards in valkum dunes have a higher skin drop rate than in any other place. Another place for high lizard skin drops is crawlers nest. I think the previous update has messed up the drop rate of skins in the dunes, due to people like myself training and mass killing lizards which people where using to exp on)

Lvl 28 Bilbo (Iron ingot + Silver Ingot + Fire)
(This is an alternative, I have found a nice cheap way to make silver ingots so this item can be a cheap way to level blacksmith, but you do require your gold to be level 7 to do this. Check below for cheap silver ingots)

Lvl 29 Iron Mask (Iron Sheet + Brass Sheet + Earth)
(I highly recommend that you also level Gold smith to the point where you can make your own Brass Sheets. Just take some time out and do it, because 7-10k per stack of brass ingots isnt cheap at this stage)

NOTE: Even though Goblin gear (gob mail and helmet) has a level cap at 30 I highly suggest that you save your money on buying this gear until your at least level 50+

Trick of the Trade!!!
There is a vendor in North Sandy that sells leather belts. Because Iron will become your main ingredient in most of the items made. This is one of the cheapest ways to obtain iron ingots other than mining it

To make a leather belt consists of 1 Iron chain and 1 sheep leather.

If you de-synthesis you will get as a result of:

1 Sheep Leather
1 Iron Ingot (HQ1)
2 Iron Ingot (HQ2)

(Please Note info below, Leather belts is really a leather craft trade, the success is seems to be based on both crafts)

The Blacksmith level need for this is 0, but this d-synthesis has a high fail rate!!! The only way I have found to counter this high fail rate is to raise your leather to 10+ (the higher the better) Try and d-synthesis on a dark day, and have your Mog House with a lightning enhancement effect (Powerful or overwhelming).

Also try to get your Sandy Fame as high as possible. Because the higher your fame is, the cheaper you can buy the leather belts. Sheep leather can be sold to the AH and the money obtain from it can be used to buy more leather belts or lizard skins to level other items.

Lvl 35 Iron Cuisses (2 Iron Scales + Leather Trousers + Cotton Thread + Earth) (Optional)
(I recommend you level this item because not only are you levelling your Blacksmith you can also level Leather skills to 5 which will help with an item later on)

Lvl 33-35 Rusty Items (Rusty Caps or Rusty Picks + Light)
(I only recommend this if you have a fishing skills, so you can fish for caps and picks. The prices of caps have gone down a lot since SE has lowered the price in which you can sell caps to vendors/stores. Try to only buy these at 800 - 1.5k the most. Once restored these will give you results of a war pick or padded cap, caps can be sold back at 2.6k making you a small profit thats if you dont fail)

Lvl 39 Padded Cap (Iron Sheet + 2 Lizard Skins+ Earth)
(Once again you have to go back and try to farm lizard skins (optional), but you dont have to cap out this to level 39, once youre about level 37 move the next item, this will save you on cost/time for lizard skins. Padded caps will also level your level to a cap of 9)

Lvl 41 Iron Mittens (Iron Sheet + Lizard skin + Earth)
(This will also level your leather to 10 cap)

Lvl 45 Iron Subilgar (Iron Sheet + Lizard Skin + Cotton Cloth + Earth)
(This will help you level Leather to 12 also. If you have the time and want to save more money, cotton cloth can also be farmed off Bogy (ghost type MOB))

At this stage you can now de-synthesis Quadav gear, but its best of farm them. Its only worth buying and de-synthesis Quadav gear at level 65+ because the return versus cost would be more effective.

Lvl 52 Darksteel Ingot (Darksteel Ore + 3 Iron Ore + Fire)
(I would highly recommend you mine most of your irons and darksteel ores. Losing a darksteel ore, while you synthesis is really painful. Only start buying darksteel ore to level once your level 48+ and have synthesis support on)

Lvl 57 Gauntlets (2 Iron Sheet + 2 Leather Gloves + Fire)
(Use the Trade trick of leather belts to obtain most of your irons here. You can also buy your leather gloves in the Armoury in North Sandy, Gauntlets can be sold back to the guild to get the cost of the money invested in the items back or sold in the AH)

Lvl 58 Breastplate (4 Iron Sheet + Sheep Leather + Fire)
(Once again use the Trade Trick of leather belts, you can make a profit on breastplates if you sell them to the AH, or break even if sold to the guild.)

Lvl 64 Darksteel Mufflers (Darksteel Sheet x2, Chain Mittens + earth)
(This is an alternative. I know it may look expensive, but because Darksteel Muffers are used later on at a higher level of blacksmith to make Thick Mufflers which are level 84, these do sell very well in the AH, you can get most of your cost from making these)

Lvl 66 Nodowa (Iron Sheet + Silk Thread + Earth)
(The reason why I have jump 8 levels ahead from breastplates to Nodowa is because cost versus fails on making nodowa. Nodowa comes out on top. Once again use the Trade trick to get your Iron. With the latest price of silk thread 16-20k, Its best if you spend time on farming silk thread until you are around level 60+ of blacksmith, because this well help lower the cost on fails once pass level 60 its best to just buy the silk, because you will get your money back. Well I would recommend you also start trying to build your Guild Points here to get your gloves to make synthing easier)

Lvl 73 Darksteel Pick (Darksteel + Elm Lumber + Fire)
(Well with a lot of the resent prices darksteel ores and ingots, this is no longer a money making item, 14-16k for darksteel on my server. I recommend you mine in gusgen mines which has a very good rate for darksteel ore. Make your own darksteel ingots and just buy the elm lumber you need. This is the only way you can make a decent gil while levelling on this item)

Lvl 79 Karimata Arrowheads (Iron ingots + Tama-Hagane + Wind)
(Try to level you Norg fame very high to make buying Tama-Hagane cheap, about 4k with high fame. The arrowheads sell at about 6-8k so you dont lose that much gil while making this, but they do sell very slow. Unless you have a high wood crafter mate who can turn these into Karimata arrows, which sells at 99 gil each to a npc. You could make a nice little profit off these.)

NOTE: I have scrapped Darksteel Nodowa because with the price of darksteel you will be losing a lot of gil.

Lvl 84 Thick Mufflers (Darksteel Mufflers, Steel Sheet + Earth)
(On my server these sell at 33-40k or so. These are also used at a higher level of blacksmith to make Cursed Mufflers which are level 94, so they sell quite well in the AH. I some times check the AH quite often to buy the Darksteel Muffers)

From here onwards I would advise you to go and level Goldsmith to level 54+ or have Woodwork at 31+ and have both your Blacksmith Guild Apron and Gloves.

Lvl 88 Kanesada (Woodwork 31+ needed)
(Steel Ingot, Rosewood Lumber, Kanesada, Silver Thread + fire)
(Kanesada cost about 11583 13266 gil. The only reason I made this item was because I have a nice high level woodwork friend who HQ me quite a few Rosewood Lumber, You can slowly sell to the AH to make your gil back or just sell to NPC)

Lvl 89 Hellfire (Gold level 54+ needed)
(Brass Ingot, Darksteel Ingot x2, Gold Ingot, Walnut Lumber + Fire)
(This is sometimes a slow sell, but it is an item which most rangers just like to add to there collection of guns, Sells about 80-100k in the AH so you do make a nice little profit from these.

Lvl 90 Adaman Ingot (3 Adaman Ore + Iron Ore + Fire)
(Alterntive If you can mine Adaman Ore in ifirits Cauldron, do it as much as possible to cut down on cost. Otherwise make enough Darksteel Picks until you have enough money to buy Adaman ores, Very very pain fully when you fail. A friend of mine failed and lost all 3 Adaman ores, thats 300k+ lost in less than 10 seconds. But he was lucky he didnt lose his iron ore lol)

Lvl 91 Adaman Ingot (6 Adaman Nuggets + Adaman Ore + Fire)
(When every there is Adaman Nuggets on sell try to snap them up, Cheaper to buy that Adaman ore. Just a bit)

Items listed here I Have yet to make or create and have found the info for these in the net or talking to other blacksmiths.

Lvl 95 Bhuj (Ebony Lumber + Gold Ingot + Steel Ingot + 2 Darksteel Ingot + Mercury
+ Fire)
(For this is best to raise Goldsmith and woodwork crafts to level 50+ this will help to lower the fail rates and raise your Alchemy up until you can make Mercury)

Lvl 95 Adaman Sheet (Adaman Ingot + Fire)
(Save all the Adaman ingots that you make to help with cost)

Lvl 97 Adaman Cuisses (Adaman Sheet + Darksteel Sheet + Gold Ingot + Tiger Leather + Mercury + Fire)
(You need gold to be at level 50+ to help with the fail rates. Also making your own tiger leather and Mercury helps just a little)

Lvl 100 Culverin (Adman Ingot + 2 Darksteel Ingot + Mahogany Lumber + Brass Ingot)
(The final item that will raise your Blacksmith to level 100.Wood and Gold crafts need to be at level 60 to help lower fail rate)

Other tricks with in Blacksmith which can help you make or save you money are listed below. I dont recommend trying them until your blacksmith is level 60+. The reason for this is that so you can maximise the HQ results that you get. I will give you the level in which you can start to de-synthesis the items also.

De-synthesis Tricks and money savers

Claymore (25-26) (Brought in North Sandy Furniture Shop) Fame will have an effect the price of the claymore (which cost about 3k) I have made a stack of steel ingots from 3 claymores once, 9k for a stack is better than paying 50-60k

Using Lightning
Normal Result = Ash Lumber
HQ1 = Lizard Skin
HQ2 = 3 Iron Ingots
HQ3 = 4 Steel Ingots

Kunai (40) Brought from Silver Owl (Bastok Port) Akamafula (Jeuno Lower) and
Jirokichi (Norg)

Using Lightning

Normal Result = Lizard Skin
HQ1 = Lizard Skin
HQ2 = Lizard Skin
HQ3 = Steel Ingot
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:59 pm

Inquisitor
Part 2 (post was too long)
Maul (40)(drop off by Garnet Quadav, you need to be above level 50 in a job before you can try to take them on, can be sold for 3k)

Using Lightning
Normal Results = Oak Lumber
HQ1 = Oak Lumber
HQ2 = 6 Mythril Nuggets
HQ3 = 2 Mythril Ingots

Quadav Backplates (45) (Drop off my Amethyst Qaudav)

Using Lightning
Normal Results = Bronze ingot
HQ1 = Iron Ingot
HQ2 = Darksteel Ingot

Using wind you will get sheets instead of ingots

Quadav Helmet (45) (Drop off by Old Quadav in Beaudeax only)

Using Lightning
Normal Results = Bronze ingot
HQ1 = Iron Ingot
HQ2 = Steel Ingot
HQ3 = Darksteel Ingot

Antican Pauldron (65) (Drop off by Ranger type Antican)

Using Lightning
Normal Results = 2 Bronze ingot
HQ1 = Darksteel Ingot
HQ2 = Darksteel Ingot
HQ3 = Darksteel Ingot

There is more stuff which I have read and heard about, but I need to test them before I post it..

Have fun making money ^^:
A note I forgot to add when your de-synthesising your items.

Make sure you have a mog house enhancement of either dark or lightning

There are 3 level of enhancement which you have

Faint
Powerful
And Overwhelming

With Dark, you get more success rates when de-synthesising your items,

With Lightning you are less likely to lose the items your de-synthesising

In my personal opinion I would go for the Lightning enhancement.
The main reason being it that you de-synthesis most items with lightning, and you

Also have a high chance to get a level skill gain and it seems to work with other crystals other than lightning. (This is what I have noticed)

Also your going to cry less when you fail because the only item you lose is the crystal that youve used and save on money in lost items.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For example
De-synthesising a Quadav Backplate

(Without enhancement)
Below cap level
This would be a 70-80% chance of failing and a 80-90% chance of a losing the item if you fail

At cap level
50-60% chance of failing and a 70-80% chance of losing the item if you fail

25+ levels above the cap level
30-45% of failing and a 50-60% of losing the item if you fail

(With enhancement)
Below cap level
This would be a 70-80% chance of failing and a 60-70% chance of a losing the item if you fail

At cap level
50-60% chance of failing and a 50-60% chance of losing the item if you fail

25+ levels above the cap level
30-45% of failing and a 30-40% of losing the item if you fail

The above example has only been tested with overwhelming lightning enhancement
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to raise your element mog house enhancement

Under 50 points = Faint
Over 50 points but under 100 points = Powerful
Over 100 points = Overwhelming

Where to get Dark furnishing

Ancient Blood +3 (windurst quest, A pose by any other name)
Acolytes Grief +4 (Shop in Port Jueno, Gekko H-8
Autumns End +5 (Shop in Port Jueno, Gekko H-8
Star Globe +10 (Crafted)
Royal Bed +24 (Crafted)
Millionaires Desk (Unknown, yet to find info in it)

Where to get Lightning

Tarutaru Stool +2 (Crafted, Shop Windwaters, Ensasa (H-9)
Waste Basket +2 (Selbina Quest: Donate to Recycling)
Flower Stand +2 (Crafted, North San DOria Furniture Shop)
Tableware Set +3 (Mhaura Quest, Expertise)
Bastokan Flag +9 (Complete mission 9-2 in bastok)
Nobles Bed +12 (Crafted)

Note: Its best to get your fame high before you buy any furnishings to save on gils spent

I also recommend that to get the best results from your d-synthing. I would advise you to D-synth on New moon or Full Moon Days. Apart from Earths day which can result in High lost of items.
No signature

Return to “Final Fantasy”