Subjobs for mages.

Chocobo, wark!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Subjobs for mages.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:48 pm

Inquisitor
MS asked about this, here's the typical run down.

Mage jobs sub mage jobs, melee jobs sub melee (some jobs are not pure melee though, more on those later). And remember, you subjob is capped at half your main level. So, a 30 BLM/!5 WHM would be casting white magic capped at level 15, so the subjob specific spells would be less effective,

BLM typically subs WHM, so they can backup heal and status clear. Sometimes, BLM can sub RDM for the INT bump, but that usually is because you have RDM as your main and don;t want to level WHM.

WHM has two choices: BLM for no advanced job and minor nuking (and warping/escaping at higher levels, handy ability for travelling and getting out of tight spots) or SMN. The sub SMN mostly for the big bump. Very rarely do I see WHM/SMN actually summoning (some of the bloodpacts are handy and not underlevelled). You also sub SMN at 50+ for auto MP refresh, which is nice.

RDM typically subs WHM or BLM, depending on if they plan on main healing in a party. At 50+ subbing SMN becomes an interesting option, but you lose out on the other mage utility spells. I prefer BLM post 34 so I can warp myself home at the end of a party, and I like the elemental enfeebs. I only sub WHM if Pixi makes me. RDM makes a so-so subjob for everything though, ebcause the red mage specific skills will be capped at the lower level, and typically aren't as powerful as they would be when cast by a /WHM (and you lack the group buffs). So you enthunder would be alot lower level than the mobs you were fighting in a party.

SMN typically subs WHM, because SMN are typically asked to be party main healer. That's it. I have as yet to party with a SMN/BLM, though I suppose they exist, i can see SMN only parties that might want a mix of BLM or WHM subs. You get the extra MP from BLM, lose the ability to heal though. You typically see sub SMN for autorefresh and MP boosts. Your mileage may vary.

If you party with me, and want to experiment, I am game. These are the "typical" subs. Everyone can sub NIN at level 24 though, for soloing. Some mages sub other melees for soloing, rumour has it DRK makes an interesting RDM sub at level 75.

Thats my nickel.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Stracius
Yeah, I'm tempted to go with my BLM as a main and sub SMN for the mp and int boost. Some of the feedback that I've received so far indicates that a BLM/SMN is going to have a very tough time finding groups. I do like a lot of the WHM spells though, so I imagine I might end up sub'ing that instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:06 pm

M.Steiner
Cheers for posting this Ed, very helpful. :thumb:

My character plan of RDM/WHM > SMN/WHM should work out quite well then so long as i enjoy it, and if i don't i can always switch jobs and try something different.
Job system is great. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:08 pm

Inquisitor
WHM gets subbed alot in the non-mage, non-melee jobs for similar reasons.

You'll see BRD, COR and sometimes DRG subbing WHM in parties. BRD and COR become backup healers, status clearers. DRG uses it for some pet abilities, and certainly does it as a solo for self healing/buffing. PUP apparently subs WHM in parties sometimes, though I more frequently see them sub melee jobs. Again, mileage may vary.

BST subs WHM for all the solo advantages, MANY jobs can find /WHM advantages in solo, especially at lower levels.

As for BLU as a sub, I have no idea, it has potential to be a multijob sub, but its so darn new.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:11 pm

BlackDove
I saw NIN's sub BLU.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:40 pm

Inquisitor
BD, maybe you can share some melee wisdom?

All my melee jobs are below 30, most just at 20.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:53 am

BlackDove
On what really? Melee's are fairly easy to figure out subjobs for.

DRK has to have THF at 37 and WAR at 37. I think NIN is for soloing.

MNK needs WAR/NIN

SAM needs WAR/THF/NIN/RNG

WAR needs NIN/THF

PLD needs WAR/NIN/WHM

RNG needs WAR/NIN

THF needs NIN/WAR

More or less.

It's all fairly repetitive. You sub NIN for the solo value, however the only one outstanding in that is the WAR. WAR at 75 with NIN sub is a better tank than a 75 NIN if he has the proper equipment, which is expensive as hell considering it's done thru abjurations and crap.

You sub WAR for the strength and DOT. Double Attack, Agressor, Berserk, all attck+ traits more or less. This is for TP burns and farming and soloing more or less.

THF is for Treasure Hunter and SATA obviously. At lower levels the tanks (or if your NIN tank blows) need the Trick Attack done on them so they get hate. Nothing much more to THF at sub value. As main it requires NIN - only n00bs sub WAR. Dual weild = faster TP, and considering you're weak as hell +eva and +shadows from NIN are a must.

At high level DRK subs THF. SA+Spinning Slash with a Great Sword does 1200 damage at 115 TP or so, and if you're doing the whole drain thing wtih the boost from the latest patch, you can do much more.

Did I leave anything out?

Return to “Final Fantasy”