Need Red Mage Advice...

Chocobo, wark!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Need Red Mage Advice...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:24 pm

Janyxus
Greetaru-ings everone!

For those of you I haven't met, I'm Janyxus, newcomer to FFXI and the GTC Linkshell. I have a few questions about how I should go about leveling and equiping my Hume Red Mage. I am currently Lvl 9. My questions are:

1) At my level, where is the best place for me to farm/level? (In the Windy area)

2) I currently use an Onion Sword. At what point do I need to upgrade, and what should I upgrade to?

3) What is the best item to farm for? I am currently kiting Carrion Crows for fire crystals and Yagudos for necklaces. Is there something better? Also, what other mobs drop fire crystals in Windy?

If anyone can answer all or any of these questions I would be very thankful. I apologize for my being a complete newb, thanks for your patience!

And thanks to all my GTC Linkshell peeps who have helped me out with gear and such!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:08 pm

Inquisitor
Upgrade now. Just about anything is better than an Onion Sword. Level 9 might be able to use a Spatha (though that might be 10), I think i used a Xiphos or a Wax Sword for a while. Buy the best you can afford.

I know nothing about Windy, though. Just Bastok and San d'Oria. Level 15 RDM myself.
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:31 pm

Pixistix
Janyxus! YAY!

N00b-ness is totally acceptable ^^! In fact that's one of the cool things about having a forum, you can ask questions here to be a better player when you are on.

I agree with Inquisitor, try to keep your equiptments as up to date as you can afford to. Whenever possible try to buy from NPCs and not the AH (there is a good deal of inflation). Click on the link bellow from the Allakhazam RDM forum for a complete list of items for RDM. If you click on an item it will take you to a page with information on the item, where to buy it, and how to craft it if you're crafting skill is a high enough level.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/dyn/items/job2.html

As far as farming/lvling at your lvl goes you are on the right track. An option that you can look into is going to the Horutoto Ruins and killing goblins and bats in the main areas. You will get fire and wind crystals, onions, clothcraft supplies (grass threads/cloth etc), bat wings and gil. Additional mobs you should hit up when farming are rabbits (hides sell for about 1.2K/ stack and will be easy for you to motor through at your level), crawlers who drop silk thread (10K/stack), giant bees/giddeus bees who drop behive chips (7-10K/stack depending on the market).

Other tips I would give you: save the necklaces and crawler calculi for the repeatable windy quests involving those items to increase your fame (you will get money for this, and as your fame goes up, the cost of items from NPCs will go down, the amount NPCs will pay you for things will go up, and other quests that require fame will become available to you). You can turn in necklaces to Nanaa Mihgo (J - 3) Windy Woods, and calculi to Illu Bohjaa (H - 6) Windy Woods.

Pixi

Edit: Also when you are looking for new gear look for items that will increase your mp, MND and IND. As a magic user these things will become very important to you. The higer your MND score, the more you will resist magic attacks, and the more powerfull your healing spells will be. The higher your INT, the more offten your enfeebling spells will stick and the more damage your BLM spells will have. Being hume you start out with a slightly smaller mp pool than you would starting as a Taru, so thing that increase your mp are always nice.

Edit 2: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html ... 838&num=43 RDM 101 guide from the RDM forum. Handy reference, a little on the "AHHH too much information!! I can't absorb it all!!" side, but worth looking at if you have some time.
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:07 pm

Janyxus
Thanks Pixi! That's a relly good help. I put up a stack of fire crystals and other stuff last night on the AH, so as soon as they sell I'll take your advice and upgrade everything. Thanks also for the Horotoro tip, I think I'll give that a try!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:34 pm

Pixistix
^^

Do you have a cape? If not, don't buy one! I've been making them and will send you one.

Also, when you get to be about 10-11 got to the Cayon and try to find a party. You will be able to fight in the Maze at that point and the xp is really good for that lvl. Once you hit around 13-14 head to the dunes and again party out there for better xp. At 18 you will be able to do the subjob quest and then you can start over lvling a subjob ^^. I will be on this afternoon if you need some help.
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:37 am

Janyxus
I got the cape just fine Pixi, thank you very much! I took yours and Inquisitors advice and upgraded all my stuff...

I just got all the leather set, and as soon as I get to lvl. 11 I'm going to upgrade to the Bee Spatha +1 sword.

Also, can anyone tell me where I can buy the barsleep and barwater scrolls?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:09 pm

Inquisitor
I got mine at the AH.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:18 pm

Pixistix
I got my bar-spells at the AH as well. I don't think the local vendors in windy sell them.

NPC that sell these spells:

Barsleep is sold by Hasim in Lower Jeuno at (H-9), and Susu in Lower Jeuno at (H-9)

Barwater is also sold by Hasim

See what the AH prices are (if you havn't bought these already). If they are crazy see if there is anyone on the LS in Jeuno and see if you can send them gil, and have them send you the spells ^^. I will be in Jeuno possibly tonight or tomorrow night if you can wait that long.
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:20 pm

Inquisitor
There are also 2 mages in Selbina who sell scrolls of higher level.
No signature

Return to “Final Fantasy”