PC Problems

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

PC Problems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:16 pm

Scorpius
Seems my OS is falling down around my ears. As I explained in an earlier thread I can't play any type of video file with my new card tho everything else seems to run normal. Now after installing verious codecs and latest version of IE a new problem as reared its head. IE and Outlook express startup icons in my start menu have changed so all they do is call up the propertys tag instead ! I can still in a roundabout way gain access to IE but for the life of me can't get access to Outlook express or MSN. I'm gonna do a format on my main drive this weekend and do a complete OS reinstall and would really like to access Outlook to get some cd key info and such. So does anyone know how to access Outlook express other than from the start menu ?
I use WINXP home edition. I've also checked for virus's and spyware with nothing turning up on each.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Zepol
You can access Outlook express at
C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice

Now what video card did you have and change too?
Did you change any other hardware in addtion to your new VC?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:32 pm

Scorpius
I've changed to a Geforce 7800GS from a geforce 4200ti. (AGP both)
Games seem to work ok I've only had the usual troubles with NWN 2.
Just won't play avi, mpeg, wmv, quicktime mov ( just get a blank screen and sound with quicktime).
WMplayer just slows to a crawl and basically it takes ages to do anything, sometimes I have to switch the pc off at the wall.
I also don't have a directory called Microsoft office. I have one called Outlook express but theres no exe file in there hidden or otherwise which will start Outlook express.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Zepol
k sounds like you might be missing either direct X or the most up to date driver which for you it would be Version: 93.71

For Direct X the latest one is DirectX9.0c, but for this you will need to validate your XP license so make sure you have a valid one =D

For outlook express, try re-installing it...lol i just got a ticket for that.
Go to "add and remove programs"(in control panel) and click in "add and remove windows components" on the left hand side. then look for Outlook Express and you should see acheck mark, just click it off and select ok. Then restart that process and click it back on and hit finish and it will re-install.

let me know if you continue to have a issue
(RIP-You will never be forgotten)Zepol lvl 70 Lock- Afflication and Destruction.
(Reborn)Zepol lvl 80 Mage - Arcane (Akama)
Ive lvl 80 Shamman - Resto/Elemental(Akama)
Faeith lvl 80 DeathKnight - Frost Tank/Blood DPS(Akama)
Never give up before attempting it first.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:33 am

Scorpius
Well the advice for Express worked I've even got IE back on the start menu too..... :thumb:
However I'm upto date on all drivers for all my cards my Xi-fi extreme, 7800 and direct x 9.0c and still no video.... :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Brittfire
aahh yes, i've had this problem before, but not with my old 4200ti, but on my newer stuff. think i ended up deleting anything to do with video codecs and gfx drivers and started from there. but it was bloody ages ago tho :(
even tho, after i fixed all that, i still couldnt play a video and play wow at the same time for some strange reason :( , not untill a reinstall of xp anyway (my way of fixing = mass reinstall)
TBC update
tomato ketchup will be a required reagent for feign death and rogues can apply huntersmark with a crayon!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:59 pm

Scorpius
Yeah I think I'm gonna do a massive reinstall too..... :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:05 am

Scorpius
Well after one format and a complete reinstall I still have the same problem !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:19 pm

Plovske
only one thing i can think of:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_L ... c_Pack.htm

hope it works :)
enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Stracius
Scorpius wrote:Well after one format and a complete reinstall I still have the same problem !
Find a support telephone number for the manufacturer of your video card and call them. The only new component in this equation /is/ the video card, and you shouldn't have even needed to reformat to try getting it to work. On the other hand, with a fresh install their customer support won't be able to cop out on any "old software conflicts" excuses and send you away.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:39 pm

Scorpius
In the end had to down grade my Nividia drivers to what was supplied with the card as it has problems with the newer drivers !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:10 am

Stracius
:weird: So does that mean those particular cards are not good, or the most recent nvidia driver update is not good?
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:49 pm

Scorpius
From what I've been told its the drivers fault LOL. Apparently alot of people have had this trouble with this card. ( Sparkle Geforce 7800 GS for AGP slot)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:01 pm

Brittfire
evil evil drivers....

the ones i had problems with were replaced with even newer ones tho, but still.
TBC update
tomato ketchup will be a required reagent for feign death and rogues can apply huntersmark with a crayon!

Return to “General Discussions”