Portal

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Portal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:14 am

BlackDove
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:33 am

SSX Fahd
Ah, another who has finished it. Welcome to the club ;).
Fahd, IM Prog's: See profile, Linky: TechSnap Video Podcast
"In the computer world few people read the 'readme.txt' files. In the real
world, few people read the signs that say 'Stand on the right'
" - Fahd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:44 am

BlackDove
That totally justified all the delays they had on that bundle.

This is spot on.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/half+life ... 312210.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Inquisitor
It was an absolute hoot, way too short.

Even with the advanced missions. But much fun.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:29 pm

M.Steiner
Quite short i agree but rather unique and lots of fun all the same. I was quite surprised by it.

Valve are releasing a companion cube toy before Christmas apparently :lol: :D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Inquisitor
Heh, I'd buy one of those, Hopefully it will have the disclaimers wrtten on it :)

"Aperture Science would like to remind you the weighted companion cube cannot speak..."
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:49 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
any of you guys finish episode 2? if so what were your thoughts on it? i enjoyed HL1, 2, and HL2 episode 1. i think in the whole series my favorite part so far has been ravenholm in HL2. anything like that in episode 2?
"you see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. where can you go from there? where?"
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:24 pm

BlackDove
Nope, ep2 has a mean finish though, that hasn't really been done before.

It's mostly more of the same. It's all okay. Nothing spectacular, but not bad either. What you'd expect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 pm

M.Steiner
Inquisitor wrote:I'd buy one of those
hehe, me too.
Lazlo Hollyfeld wrote:any of you guys finish episode 2? if so what were your thoughts on it? i enjoyed HL1, 2, and HL2 episode 1. i think in the whole series my favorite part so far has been ravenholm in HL2. anything like that in episode 2?
Yep i played it before Portal.
There aren't really any parts of it that are like Ravenholm to be honest, but there are some good adrenaline rush type moments i thought - (Spoilerish: The Antilon Guardian chase being one of them, as well as the final battle with the Striders & Hunters (even if it wasn't as chaotic as originally intended, i still found it intense.).

If you've enjoyed the series so far i should think you'll enjoy this one too. I'd recommend playing it if only for the story continuation.
Bring on ep3!
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Syn
I didn't buy the orange box, I bought Portal. Just Portal. It was the only game in the whole set I was actually looking forward too. I feel very, very vindicated right now...

But also crave more cake.
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:37 am

Futile Resistance
I managed to keep a cube with me on the "last" level of portal all the way to the boss. A pity the forcefield euthanized my cube :(

Oh, and I want some cake... Even if it's a lie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Ambush
I finished it last night, it was a hoot. :lol: :thumb:

"The portals are safe"
*Pick up gun*
"On the other hand, the gun is not"
"Ambush, You Have deceived us! I'm gonna hunt you and your ship to the ends of the universe!" --SSC-Fahd "Ham Chronicles"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:15 am

Lazlo Hollyfeld
i'm being so sincere right now
even though you broke my heart
and killed me...

portal was great. episode 2 was okay...you guys were right...nothing new, but it was a good continuation of the story.
"you see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. where can you go from there? where?"
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:16 am

BlackDove
Episode 3 should be great. You know that since the Borealis is Aperture Science made, there's gonna be a Portal gun in there somewhere.

Maybe we even get Chell as a sidekick now that she's out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:52 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
BlackDove wrote:You know that since the Borealis is Aperture Science made, there's gonna be a Portal gun in there somewhere.
a portal gun and cake.

i think one of the funniest things in the game was GLaDOS' personality. I liked the song at the end too.
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 pm

BlackDove
Yes, that would be the thing that made Portal what it is and why we all love it so much.

I personally liked her developer commentary notes (when you play with them). She can be insane off script too. Magical.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

Lazlo Hollyfeld
what's the deal with the "advanced maps" i'm reading about? are there additional maps/puzzles after the first time you defeat GLaDOS? or are the "advanced maps" just the last several levels of the game?
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:28 am

Syn
if you hit bonus maps, you get the advanced version of the last couple maps. as far as I've heard their insane, haven't actually tried em out yet.
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
oh wow....the advanced maps are awesome. it took me a long time to do the first three. i'm old and decrepit so it took me many tries on each and i had to do things that i didn't need to do at all in the regular game. lots of fast moving dynamic stuff. where you have to retarget a portal when you're flying through the air kind of thing (in one i reached terminal velocity and was hammering on the portal gun every time i went past the one little spot of concrete available till i hit it). really great though...hopefully there will be an expansion with more maps like these...

i think GLaDOS' song embedded subliminal messages in my brain. i have no intentions at all of doing any future business with black mesa, i'm already ready to shell out more money for an expansion, and i've been having strange middle of the night cake cravings.
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:42 pm

BlackDove

Do. Want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
poor weighted companion cube. you already had one. beatiful, edgy, yet with curves in all the right places. it faithfully gave you unrequited love. in return you thoughtlessly euthanized it. and broke its heart. by tossing it into a blast furnace. (at least you're still alive)
-nigel tufnel

Return to “General Discussions”