Call of Duty 4

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Call of Duty 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm

BlackDove
Bad. Ass.

If they only had the Chernobyl level, it would've been enough. In that one, when the graphics merge with the gameplay, you can definitely see why graphics need to be pushed further and further, and just how much they mean. They really managed to capture the look and feel of that god forsaken place, as you and the captain make sniping rounds. Photoshop filter power for the win.

Rest of the game is pretty great too. I also have to say I very much liked the initial training session, and then the offer on which difficulty setting you should be playing. It will cross out the ones you should not be playing at (well, it will warn you if you try), be they the easier or the harder setting - and it's a very good tool to make your game challenging enough, because the game samples your skills and then reccomends you to go at it with the pace that isn't going to bore you to tears or be frustrating enough to make you quit.

Recommended the "Hardened" difficulty for me, which is the one under the highest difficutly setting, and I gotta say, while I could've cruised through it on easy nicely, I do appreciate the challenge of having to pay close attention.

But yeah, many many high points - the entry level with the tanker, the airplane "CNN footage" bombardment of enemies that threaten your allies' positions, over the whole Chernobyl level...

This experience is a must (on normal/high graphic settings).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:46 pm

BlackDove
Ka-Boom.

Finished. It's really entertaining to the end, even if it's a Tom Clancy generic scenario near the end. Like I said, with the gameplay and the graphics, everything else is sort of not really important.

Though some of the story with chasing the bad guys was pretty neat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mmmm, I would prefer originality rather than another sequel with shiny graphics to be honest. Its all well and good having realistic graphics, but if gameplay never changes it gets old. Ron Gilbert got it right when he said:
Why do you think there are so little specific art styles seen in games? Super realistic water etc. doesnt really add much to gameplay. And yet strangely it seems to be one of the things that impress a lot of people the most.
Because the industry is ruled by programmers, and that's what they enjoy doing and it's been ingrained in consumers that graphics is what matters (thank you very much John Carmack).

Now that the newness of 3D with super realistic graphics and such is beginning to wear off, do you think games will move into more interesting styles and concepts?
Dear god I hope so. I'm so bored with realistic graphics. I can go outside and see realistic graphics. I want something that really excites my imagination. While doing realism is technically very challenging, it's not very creatively challenging and we need some more creativity in this business. All these stupid space marine games all look the same. None of them make me care at all about the world. Sorry Halo.
Not that I'm saying CoD4 is a bad game or anything, haven't played it. I just wish that instead of games like this we'd get more like Psychonauts. Real creativity, real originality.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:39 pm

BlackDove
Kind of the opposite, in fact actually I think CoD4 proves his statements to be completely wrong.

The realism of the graphics (or should we say the style) provides really fantastic gameplay elements, which come together in the Chernobyl level, where you're LITERALLY almost feeling like you're there or were there. The whole system is used to depict, in a very cool and realistic way, two snipers sneaking through enemy territory, trying to remain invisible by either evading or removing the opposition with extreme silence, all in it culminating in a long distance sniping of a specific target, getting cover blown, and going through the extraction process as you're being chased.

Without the graphics, the whole concept is bullshit that doesn't work (or if it's ugly, it's a constant reminder that the whole thing is fake). If I played this in any Unreal Tournament or Doom or Source engine (even the new Medal of Honor engine), the whole thing would just be bland and non-noteworthy. The graphics managed to CONVINCE me that the concept could be real (even though it's a long shot), followed by the excellent gameplay features and AI.

The level is really something else. The others are very good too, especially some of the more styled ones, but this one just takes the cake as far as FPS game levels go.

As far as sequels go, even though it's called Call of Duty 4, it's only done in that way because it's trying to cater to the old audience and make it familiar - the entire concept is new (CoD games were WW2 games, this isn't).

And this game is proof FPS' don't get old, as well.

So you really couldn't be more wrong with your assuming opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
my favorite color is blue.
"you see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. where can you go from there? where?"
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Inquisitor
The CoD series is always a great, nail biting, intense, fun experience.

Its not ever "just a shooter." Its different (and possibly better) than even the "great" shooters out there (Half Life, Halo, etc).

You don't need to have Psychonauts gameplay to have a good game. I've bought the first 3 CoD's, I will very likely be getting this one as well.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 am

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm not calling it dull or horrendous at all, I'm just pointing out that its not really original. I loved CoD, was impressed with 2 too, but when endless sequels start to churn out franchises begin to bore me. So what if this one is in a modern setting, its still basically the same game with shiny new graphics and different weapons.

As you know, I am an RPG man. Originality, creativity, those are what make games fun for me. Unfortunately, FPS' are the most susceptible to refusing to change core gameplay, just making graphics shinier and locations different.
Psychonauts I quoted because it went out and did something I hadnt seen before in both story and gameplay terms (due to the way it tied in so well with the story). Its graphics weren't ultra realistic, in fact they were generally cartoony, but I didn't really care much. Just in the same way that I go back and play classics like Monkey Island 1 and 2 (pixelated galore) every year and don't care about their much dated graphics. It is the gameplay, its originality, and a creative concept that makes games - something which unfortunately franchises with endless sequels seem to lose along the way.

The march for 'my blade of grass is more realistic than yours!' graphics is holding the games industry back imo. The sooner we let go of it and people begin to concentrate on story and gameplay instead, the better.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:20 am

BlackDove
You need to stop droning and read my post, it completely disproves that opinion of yours.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:38 pm

M.Steiner
I've always been a fan of the series so i was planning to play this sooner or later anyway. In the past i've found them to be some of the most immersive games i've played with being able to make you feel like you're really there so the thought of a CoD4 level being set in Chernobyl sounds awesome enough for me, i'm going to have to get around to playing this soon. Nice writeup BD. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:37 pm

Fenavian
To be fair Anubis, just about every game lately is a copy in some way shape or form of something else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:27 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Laughing Man wrote:To be fair Anubis, just about every game lately is a copy in some way shape or form of something else.
Gameplay wise to some extent you are correct of course. Gameplay is always derived from another title nowadays, it is just how much developers try to make it unique that provides the variation. If you mean concepts however, I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree.

There is a line between common themes that are creative and unique in the way they do and present things and carbon copies. Unfortunately, most FPS' seem to fall into the latter camp.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:19 pm

Fenavian
You can strongly disagree all you would like but its a simple fact. But thats a completely separate topic.

BD, I made it to the Chernobyl level and you hit it spot on. Probably one of my favorite levels in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:46 pm

Inquisitor
Of course I couldn't find a copy yesterday.

As to the concepts, it depends on what "concepts" yo uare talking about. CoD has always been about immersion, that's where they make unique games. Few others achieve that "wartime storytelling" in such a visceral way.

Playing a CoD is like watching Band of Brothers. That has to count for something in the originality department. The game mechanic they chose, to me, is like choosing whether to film on black and white or colour, animated, digital or live action. Its the canvas.

And for this type of immersion, realism is probably pretty key.

You an slag the genre and get nods of agreement (possibly), but you have to give credit to the individual titles that achieve what they set out to do. Not everything needs to have unique gameplay mechanics to be unique or valuable. Since so much IS derivative, the kinda needs to find other ways to set itself apart.

Inifinity Ward seems to choose "oh shit we're all gonna die" story telling/immersion ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:03 pm

BlackDove
Laughing Man wrote:You can strongly disagree all you would like but its a simple fact. But thats a completely separate topic.

BD, I made it to the Chernobyl level and you hit it spot on. Probably one of my favorite levels in the game.
I'm re-playing it on Veteran now (that was my recommended difficulty level the second time around ha-ha)

It's... hard. Very hard. The unrealistic aspects all turn heavily against you, when it's one-shot-gets-you-to-red-near-death and the second one kills you.

I'm on the mission just before the Chernobyl one (Where you eliminate Al-Assad).

I don't know if you finished Chernobyl yet with the great escape, but it was extremly difficult on Hardened to go through that last part (it took me about two hours to figure out how to kill the opposition)- I don't know if I'll be able to do it on Veteran.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:11 pm

BlackDove
Seems like I spoke too soon, passed that part, onto the final chapter with the nukes.

I guess preparing for it better makes a difference, though my spot seems to work as well on Veteran.

It's hard, but do-able.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:12 pm

BlackDove
And wh00t, finished on Veteran.

Get a load of this nightmare on Vet though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuyHwGjLjfg

45 seconds to save the president, maniac run to the top.
Last edited by BlackDove on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:28 pm

Ruhn
Oeeh nice one BD... Do you play online aswell...its awesome! Unlockable weapons, you can create your own class..cool maps... go for it :D!
Chuck Norris beat Halo 2 on Legendary using only the strafe buttons and flashlight -.-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:49 am

BlackDove
Not online, not yet.

And this only took me an hour and a half, but I did it.

Now in video form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FngZpC7njko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:11 pm

Inquisitor
I just played to past the Chernobyl mission.

Wow. Talk about "Oh sh*t" moments. The end of the USMC segment had me saying "no way, no way" the whole time. And it was more dramatic than action. The actual action leading up to that was frantic, but purposeful. These guys know how to make you feel like a mere cog in the machine.

Wow.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:43 am

Inquisitor
I do have a couple complaints about it, so people don't think I am all fanboi ;)

No cover system- Gears of War, Rinbow 6, GRAW, a number of other games have incorporated this, and its one of hte best things to happen to FPS in a while, adds ALOT to the immersion. Its been missing since CoD3 and i felt the pain then. I want to hide behind a wall or a corner and occasionally blind fire dammit.

Coop missing- Even Halo added ober the internet coop. Gears has it, Rainbow sorta has it, GRAW has a flavor of it. For such a "team" oriented game, one where you are seemingly ALWAYS with at least one other person, if not dozens, why can't I hook up with a buddy to "enjoy" these massive firefights?

Yeah, thats' it, it seems to be damn near perfect otherwise.
Last edited by Inquisitor on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:19 am

Lazlo Hollyfeld
Inquisitor wrote:why can't I hook up with a biddy...?
because you're already married.
"you see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. where can you go from there? where?"
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:20 am

BlackDove
Inquisitor wrote:I do have a couple complaints about it, so people don't think I am all fanboi ;)

No cover system- Gears of War, Rinbow 6, GRAW, a number of other games have incorporated this, and its one of hte best things to happen to FPS in a while, adds ALOT to the immersion. Its been missing since CoD3 and i felt the pain then. I want to hide behind a wall or a corner and occasionally blind fire dammit.

Coop missing- Even Halo added ober the internet coop. Gears has it, Rainbow sorta has it, GRAW has a flavor of it. For such a "team" oriented game, one where you are seemingly ALWAYS with at least one other person, if not dozens, why can't I hook up with a buddy to "enjoy" these massive firefights?

Yeah, thats' it, it seems to be damn near perfect otherwise.
All THIRD person shooters, with possibly optional first person view.

It's experimental. I assume that's why they didn't incorprorate it. Because it's first person only.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 pm

Inquisitor
R6 was very FPS, it only went 3rd person when you went into cover ;)

Changing the camera is like 10 lines of code if you over complicate it :)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:42 pm

BlackDove
Exactly so.

No 3rd person. YOU are Soap, you're the prez, you're the US Marine. You never see their faces. The whole concept is based around you looking outward from first person view. Most of the narrative hinges on it.

Killzone 2 will be the first FPS to feature a cover system, but like I said, experimental and new. I wouldn't want to deviate from standards either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:27 pm

Inquisitor
Meh. it breaks some of the illusion when your buddies are covering and blind firing and you can't.

That said, finished it last night, I was apparently very close to teh end, so another hour or so, a very cool story ending, and then a romp through the Mile High Club on "Normal" and bang. Fabulous game.

I did TRY to play that on Veteran, ouch.
No signature

Return to “General Discussions”