Website assistance?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Website assistance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:33 am

Ozone
Hey all. Decided to stop procrastinating and get off my ass to finalize a business website to coincide with making housecalls.

My art career ended about 8-10 years back, so this was seat of my pants memory flying. Was using a developer tool but hand tuning the html codes and tags (unless the google bots been around in the past 15 minutes, probably no associations yet).

Know you guys are a lot more up on this than I am, and keeping in mind its not a national site, just a site for a small low population area of Upstate NY, I'd appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) as well as any suggestions anyone might be kind enough to make.

If any probs viewing, would appreciate info on OS and browser.

http://www.corkinchiropractic.com

Cheers.

P.S. Of note - Used to use 'Fetch' as an FTP about 10 years back for minor stuff and was looking for something akin to it. I downloaded a free FTP for Firefox called, oddly enough, 'FireFTP'. Opens up directly in a browser tab, interface is quite straightforward and has some nice (up to intermediate level) controls. Might be worth a look for anyone interested.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: Website assistance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 pm

suggz
Hey, I took a look at your site and it has a nice layout. I was looking at your code and I didnt see anything for google analytics. Google analytics will help with your google ranking so your going to want to do two things... first your going to want to go sign up at google analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics) its free and it will help you track traffic at your site, it will also give you some code to add to your site. The code talks to the google bot to track your site.(sorry if you did this i must have missed it in the code) The other thing you will want to do is add a <meta name="description" content="'> and a <meta name="keywords" content="'> in the head of your site with your other meta tags. the "description" is what will show up under the link in the results of your web search. The "keywords" are things that are directly relevant to anything that can be found on your page...any words that do not relate to your site that you add will hurt your ranking. It will also help if you give unique keywords and description tags for each page. Sorry if this is all stuff you knew hope it helps.
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
My only real negative comment would be that you should change the colour of the text and links in the footer. The grey, for me at least, blurs into the background a little and may be hard for someone with vision problems to read as a result. Especially due to it being a business site, you need to make sure every little thing is completely legible even if it is only the footer.

That aside, it looks impressive. The layout is pretty good, and I was very impressed to see that you'd gone to the effort of ensuring all the markup was valid and compliant with XHTML Transitional standards (meaning it's far less likely to encounter cross-browser issues). The CSS does not appear to be valid though, so you may want to take a look at that (you can find the validator here: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/) if standards compliance is a priority for you.

Finally, regarding your request for details if anyone encounters problems, instead of doing that take a look at this tool. http://browsershots.org/ If you give it the URL of the site, it'll take pictures of what the site looks like in various browsers on various different OS' and upload them for you to view/download. I have found that that tool is by far the best way to quickly find out if any cross-platform issues exist before an actual user runs into them themself.

Generally though, very good. You have done a good job :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Ozone
Thanks for the feedback guys. Advice taken on board and most appreciated. Hope to find some time this week to implement the changes.
Cheers,
Oz
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Return to “General Discussions”