Minecraft

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Minecraft

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:00 am

BlueFlames
I'm a little surprised that the search tool turned up no Minecraft posts. The way the alpha version's player base has exploded, it seemed like there'd at least be mention of it.

If you're not familiar with it, think of Minecraft as a proper Lego-themed game. You collect pieces and build with them in an enormous sandbox world. It's an incredibly basic premise, but it works so well that you will lose hours mining and building and mining and building and planning megaprojects and mining materials for those megaprojects and building and on and on and on. Oh, and bad things spawn at night to eat your face (hardly seemed worth mentioning).

If that sounds enjoyable to you, the game is available at www.minecraft.net. The older, 'Classic' version is free, or you can buy into the Alpha version (and access to all subsequent updates, as they are released) for ten Euros (about thirteen US dollars, depending on how the exchange rate swings in any given day).

On the subject of big projects, though, I just finished one of my own:

Having decided that fighting Creepers was the work of plebians, I elected to elevate myself above such crass duties, literally. Now, travelling from the house at my spawn point to either of my mines is a simple matter of hopping on the elevated railway and enjoying a scenic trip above the hills and woods. ... Rather, it would be, if I had enough iron to build the minecarts that travel on the rails. I had to burn through about one hundred ingots to make the railway, so right now, travel is less of a scenic trip and more of a high-wire act.

Re: Minecraft

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Chimera
Yeah I started getting into this and League of Legends (LoL) lately. Pretty nifty actually.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Stracius
I've seen a few different video clips of players building shit and have to admit it does look a little funky, if not a huge timesink (only gives me ideas for a Deathstar to blow away that silly little ship). The graphics just feel so Doom-ish, however, it makes my eyes bleed.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Isileth
Yeah I played it when the big rush suddenly happened due to it being free while the servers couldn't cope.

Certainly fun but I just don't have the patience or the imagination to do anything big on it so I quickly reached my limit, however I do keep looking at all the great stuff others have done. Such a nice simple game but quite clearly the potential to be a massive time sink.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:17 am

Stracius
Waitaminute, isn't this just a rehash of Second Life? Dumbed down and minus social networkingizing?
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 pm

BlueFlames
*eep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Stracius
Aww crap, sorry BF. I thought I hit the quote button, and hit the edit button by mistake :( Where's the undo button?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:26 am

BlueFlames
Graphics less important than gameplay. Second Life comparison laughable.

Keep it classy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 pm

suggz
I was just reading about this in the new gameInformer looks like it could be cool....also Chimera or anyone who plays League of Legends should look me up i love that game my name is suggz
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
To comment on the report you submitted Strac, the implementation of an Undo button and/or table storing older revisions of posts would require EXTENSIVE rewriting of the forum, and would mean a significant increase in data stored within the database. Whilst the latter may well be feasible (I'd have to look at it in more depth as to whether we are limited in the amount we can store), the former is most certainly not.

Rewriting phpBB to that extent would be both very difficult, and would probably be inadvisible. Considering this issue has only come up once in six years, I think it's probably be better to write it off as something unlikely to happen too often and that we can live with ;)

As to the topic, I must admit that Minecraft leaves me puzzled as a concept. I find it very hard to see what enjoyment people can find in such a game truth be told. But each to their own tastes naturally, and I am glad that some are indeed getting enjoyment out of it. I am also probably one of the fussiest gamers around here, with a strong storyline being an essential requirement prior to my picking up a game - so in some ways it should be no surprise this is yet another game that does not seem to be for me :)

Also, drop by more often BF :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Stracius
I guess I'll just have to contain my excitement when it comes to button pushing. Mmmm, buttons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 am

BlueFlames
As to the topic, I must admit that Minecraft leaves me puzzled as a concept. I find it very hard to see what enjoyment people can find in such a game truth be told. But each to their own tastes naturally, and I am glad that some are indeed getting enjoyment out of it. I am also probably one of the fussiest gamers around here, with a strong storyline being an essential requirement prior to my picking up a game - so in some ways it should be no surprise this is yet another game that does not seem to be for me :)
You know, a strong narrative element is usually a must for me as well, but there's an occasional exception. Civilization gets a pass, because you wind up writing a story that encompasses a world's entire history throughout the course of the game. Minecraft is getting a pass because I was a sucker for Legos in my youth (and occasionally in my adulthood too).

I suppose I can see that it doesn't have universal appeal, but I thought I'd see if there was some interest to be teased out of the group.
Also, drop by more often BF :p
Would you believe that the SSX front page is still my browser homepage?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
BlueFlames wrote:Would you believe that the SSX front page is still my browser homepage?
As do I! In which case I should perhaps amend my statement to 'post more' ;)
BlueFlames wrote:I suppose I can see that it doesn't have universal appeal, but I thought I'd see if there was some interest to be teased out of the group.
Don't get me wrong, not criticising the fact that people DO enjoy it - it just puzzles me as to what the allure is. Alas, whilst the game may not have universal appeal I most certainly have very niche tastes.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Stracius
What Anny said.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:20 pm

BlueFlames
*Bump*

I don't exactly think small, do I?

Return to “General Discussions”