Star Wars: The Old Republic

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Star Wars: The Old Republic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:06 pm

M.Steiner
Quite a few of us have been showing an interest in TOR for a while now, both on the forums and on IRC. I still strongly believe that this could be the next big game for us if we not only have enough people to start a group but enough experienced members to support it and focus on introducing some new folk to our community and help make sure it's our best group yet. Whilst there are other potential MMOs for us to do the same in like Black Prophecy, more people seem to be interested in TOR it seems (?), so this is probably the best opportunity we've had in several years as I've said a few times now lol.

The game is still a little while off but I was wondering just how many of us there are that plan on playing this? Get an idea of numbers...
If there IS enough interest and we do manage to start an SSX group, where should our loyalty lie as a group? Do we go with The Galactic Republic and be the good side like we usually do in games? or should we join the dark side for a change and go with The Sith Empire? Would you be happy to play as either on your main character or have you got your heart set on one particular side already? I know some have already made up their mind as to what they're doing personally and that's cool.
It might be too early to discuss such a thing but maybe it'll give everyone an idea at least, plus we've got plenty of time to discuss and decide what we want to do as a group. Of course it would be best if we could all agree on 1 side instead of being split up and all over the place, at least that'd give us the best chance of having a successfull new group with all main characters. I suppose going with the majority wouldn't be too bad and those that choose the opposite side just having alts in the clan instead of their mains. Though that wouldn't be my ideal choice, I can't imagine what NC would have been like if some of us were off playing other factions on our main characters instead of the Fallen Angels lol (getting epic rewards aside), alts sure.

Also what classes are you guys interested in too?

Me - My first choice would probably be the Republic. In RPGs like Mass Effect and MMOs etc I always play the good guy (or neutral). I try to be friendly and helpful to everyone I meet unless I really disagree with what they're about so I find it hard trying to play a "bad" character when it's the good that always comes naturally ( :p ). That being said, I'm happy to play as the dark side if that's what everyone else (or the majority) seem to want to go with. Sith may also be a nice change for us as a group I suppose. Group is my main interest so I'm not fussy either way really.
Classes, hmm. Leaning towards Imperial Agent & Bounty Hunter or Trooper & Smuggler, depend on which side we go with. I'll probably try them both out and see which fits my playstyle the most, unless I change my mind and then I'll try all 4 lol.

Thoughts?! :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:54 am

SSX-Ava
Personal preference would be to play as Sith. However....if the majority want to play as the light side I'll go along with that. I would hate to see a splintered group with mains all over the place. It would be nice if we could get an active group together which wouldn't happen if we chose to distance ourselves.
I'll most likely play either a Sith Inquisitor or a Jedi Consular depending on which side we end up on. :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 pm

BlackDove
I've read one of the books.

It was shit.

But it seems that players in the game won't be separated all too much?

The entire idea behind this "universe" or time period, is that the Sith and the Jedi are forced to work together, by way of a truce signed. What's going on is that both sides are trying to create an upset that would lead to a full out war, but the "state of the world" is cold war, and the two sides are forced to co-operate.

So.... it's highly likely, even by design, that you'll have Sith Lord as your APU/Black Mage super damage caster and Jedi Consular as your PPU/White Mage healer and your Jedi Guardian as your Tank, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll be playing, and playing as a Sith. Probably the equivilant of one of the three classes in KOTOR, but I haven't completely decided on that front yet. Guardian or Consular is likely.

If the majority want to play as Galactic Republic, which I have kinda been expecting if I am honest, then I'll roll an alt and keep it in the guild - trying to be active with it as much as I can. But yes, my main will be Sith regardless. Normally I am not one for making such decisions, and I'm sorry if it seems like I am being selfish with it (as indeed I probably am). All I can say is that the KOTOR series is one of my favourite, if not my outright favourite, series of RPGs and I intend to play it as I have the others - namely, as a DS character. Since we have been denied a true KOTOR 3, and this is supposedly heavily focused on story, I really don't intend to spoil my enjoyment of the game by playing a goody-two shoes ;)

I never really find any fun in Star Wars games as the good guy. Give away everything you obtain, help everyone even if you don't like them, pacifistic ideals. I much prefer to steal from people in need, either laugh at those requesting help and/or kill them for loot, and generally cause havoc through violence. Much more fun, and often hillarious. So yes, this is one game where I will end up being a little selfish with regards to my faction and style of play ;)

With regards to seperation BD, I think you're both right and wrong. Whilst PVP etc will be in place to exploit the divide between the two sides, there won't be a draconian level of seperation (I expect to be mingling with the other side often). That said though, I have read on the TOR site that guilds will be faction restricted - so if we want a single guild, then we will still have to choose one side or the other unfortunately.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:18 pm

M.Steiner
BlackDove wrote:The entire idea behind this "universe" or time period, is that the Sith and the Jedi are forced to work together, by way of a truce signed. What's going on is that both sides are trying to create an upset that would lead to a full out war, but the "state of the world" is cold war, and the two sides are forced to co-operate.

So.... it's highly likely, even by design, that you'll have Sith Lord as your APU/Black Mage super damage caster and Jedi Consular as your PPU/White Mage healer and your Jedi Guardian as your Tank, etc.
hmm. Whilst the idea of both sides working together would be an interesting mix up for an MMO, my automatic assumption was that players would be able to create either a Sith or Republic clan which could only comprise of members of one of those factions. You think there's a possibility that mixed clans may be an option if that's the case then? I was just going with what's normal for MMOs and thinking something like that would never happen despite the story setting.

Like Ant I would hate to see a splintered group. With this probably being the biggest MMO launch since WoW and us having the most interested people in it this game than any for a long time I'd want everything to be perfect heh. All of our main characters in the clan, alts for the opposite side for those who want a taste of that as well. Not being here, there and everywhere, alts in the clan and mains on the opposite side, a clan for each. Group would be half-arsed then and not off to a good strong start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Whizbang
Three words: Sith Imperial Agent. Why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qVJ8bTwuw
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I'll be playing, and playing as a Sith.
If the majority want to play as Galactic Republic, which I have kinda been expecting if I am honest, then I'll roll an alt and keep it in the guild - trying to be active with it as much as I can. But yes, my main will be Sith regardless. Normally I am not one for making such decisions, and I'm sorry if it seems like I am being selfish with it (as indeed I probably am).
Wouldn't say selfish mate, not for me or anyone else to dictate how you're to play the game. I would however like to hope that others are willing to play as either side though even if they do have a preference. If everyone else has made up their mind and won't budge then our groups not gonna get off to a very strong start at all and could cause problems further down the road. :)

The problem I have with alts in our clan rather than main in the clan and alt elsewhere is that in WoW for example, QD didn't go play as Horde on his Paladin on a different server, in Neocron Rah didn't go off and join Black Dragon on his APU but keep an alt in our FA clan. Every single one of us played as Alliance and the Fallen Angels on our main characters. Sure some of us may have jumped factions with our characters in NC to get other faction rewards but it was only ever temporary, and we may have had alts in other factions for various reasons too but the clan was always the home of our mains. In WoW the game wouldn't even allow you to play characters in both factions on the same pvp server, it was one or the other so it's a good job we all agreed to go Alliance lol.

My worry is that for those who don't game very often either because they don't have the time, have a life, play other games at the same time or are a "casual" gamer, if they happen to play a main character outside of the clan but keep an alt in it instead. How often are people going to see them actually active WITHIN the clan?. Will we ever see them?. If we're gonna be recruiting new people the more of us existing members that are active within the clan the better. That way any new people that join us are more likely to logon and have other people in the clan to chat & play with and we're off to a good start. If they're logging in to nobody/hardly anyone because our members are scattered between the 2 factions then some (not all) will likely start to look elswhere. If none of us are logged in at the time then that can't be helped of course, can't be on all the time. But if it's because of the former then it's something we could have avoided and would only have ourselves to blame.
People playing clan alts will also be underleveled compared to everyone else because they'll be playing their clan character less than their main and even less than if they were just a casual, and so they may end up playing with randoms or alone more often. That is until we've got some new members and have people of all different levels that they could team up with. That could start to bother some people.

The other problem I have with it is that with MMOs there's only ever so much one can do solo before you need a clan. Playing solo you're limited to the amount of story you can experience, bosses you can kill, places you can go, all of that. Some may be completely fine with playing their main like that but not everyone will be and that's a given. What's to say someone decides to play the opposite faction to us, shoves an alt in the clan but then gets to a point where they want more out of the game and the only way the can do that is by joining another group of people with their main character? This is much more likely to happen than if it was just an alt outside of the clan that one would just play casually on the side because it would be their main character which they use the most... Unless we're to start allowing multiclanning all of a sudden to avoid such complications and let people have their main in 1 group and their alt in our clan if that's what they want. Maybe it's just me but none of that sounds good and is completely ridiculous when we have a gaming community right here and I won't be one agreeing to such an idea should it ever be suggested.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun with some of this and thinking of problems where there may never be any but like I say, I'd want everything to be perfect and to try and avoid any possible problems or needless drama before they could happen. Things like the above we should maybe consider so we don't run even encounter them. :)
Anyway, so far it's 3 for Sith and me being easy either way would make that a 4. Maybe we can all come to one decision afterall? lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
No no, those are all perfectly valid points that I agree with. And I can understand where you're coming from - hence why I am able to admit to myself that, should the majority want to play Republic, I am being selfish.

But all of those issues I accept for myself as I say that I'll go Sith regardless. I've been well aware that was the likely way I'd be playing for a while, and am quite happy with the idea of playing with just my NPC companions if it came to it - I'll probably be using just them for most story content anyway. Whether others would feel the same though is debatable as you say.

All I can say is that if we DO end up going Republic, I would do my utmost to ensure my going Sith did not harm the clan, and if it appeared to be doing so I would leave the clan and eliminate any trouble for the rest of you. The only thing that doesn't solve is activity, but with my working I'm unlikely to be able to be ultra-active anyway, so that may well be a non-issue from the getgo.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:22 am

Axavier
I will be playing a bounty hunter or a smuggler. It doesn't matter to me at all which side we're on.
"Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition."

"You tell kids today that, and they won't believe you. No, no, they won't."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Isileth
I would certainly go Republic myself.

Ignoring all the other issues almost all mmos put the good guys in nice starting areas with lush forests and waterfalls or high tech cities etc, while the bad guys get dumped in caves and rocky deserts. If im going to spend 80% of my time in one area of the game I want it to be somewhere interesting.

Outside of that the classes look like they are going to be extremely similar across the factions and I would most likely go with a consular or trooper since surely 90% of people will pick a jedi knight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:51 pm

M.Steiner
Isileth wrote:almost all mmos put the good guys in nice starting areas with lush forests and waterfalls or high tech cities etc, while the bad guys get dumped in caves and rocky deserts.
hehe. Whilst that may be true for the most part the Blood Elves in WoW start out in Silvermoon City which is one of the prettiest locations in the game imo, and they're horde. Maybe TOR won't be so cliche?, We'll just have to wait and see ;)
since surely 90% of people will pick a jedi knight.
I would like to hope not but you're probably right, I expect they'll be common as muck just maybe not to that extent. I won't be using either of the classes who wield lightsabers for that reason. Tbh though some of the other classes appeal to me more anyway so all is good.

I've been leaning more towards Sith since I last posted, think that may spice things up a bit more as it will be unusual for me as I always go with the good guys. I'm still happy to play which ever the group eventually goes with though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:38 pm

suggz
I will play on any side... best part of the game is playing with you cats
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 am

Stracius
suggz wrote:I will play on any side... best part of the game is playing with your cats
Fixed.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

Isileth
SSX-MS wrote:hehe. Whilst that may be true for the most part the Blood Elves in WoW start out in Silvermoon City which is one of the prettiest locations in the game imo, and they're horde. Maybe TOR won't be so cliche?, We'll just have to wait and see ;)
Well sadly ive just checked the details and it is just as cliche as ever.

Jedi starting planet "Mountains and forests"
Sith starting planet "Red, rocky desert"

Trooper/Smuggler starting planet "Saltwater seas and islands"
Bounty Hunter/Agent starting planet "Swamps and industrial wasteland"

Unfortunately just whats expected. http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Planets that has some images of them as well. Its even got the bad guys temples covered with cobwebs and all that nonsense. Republic looks the prettier to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 pm

M.Steiner
Isileth wrote:Republic looks the prettier to me.
Looking at those pics I'd agree. Seen some of them before on the main site but couldn't remember off the top of my head which were Republic / Sith or whatever.
Some are better looking than others I'll admit. I wouldn't necessarily class Ord Mantell as "pretty" tbh but Tython certainly is, though comparing both of those zones to the Sith starting ones I guess that one could be called pretty too in comparison hehe.

All that being said we may not spend very much of our time in our starting locations anyway at the end of the day. Looking at the wiki I'm wondering if the planets and their levels are going to work similar to WoW zones.
-Characters start off in allied territory (So Hutta or Korriban Planets for Sith and Ord Mantell or Tython for Republic), like WoW with Dun Morogh etc. From there we might move to another allied planet (So Loch Modan/Darkshore/Westfall in WoW for Alliance). After finishing those places (other than our capitals ofc) we may spend the rest of the game (or the majority of it) in contested territory where both factions quest (Wetlands, STV, Felwood, Winterspring etc..). World PvP may open up to players then too.

If this turns out to be the case we may not spend very long in the Republic/Sith only zones anyway before we find ourselves on joint planets where both sides may quest at either ends of the zone for instance. First 15-20 levels max maybe. TOR may turn out to be nothing like WoW in this respect but my guess would be that it will and that the time we spend in the first couple of zones will probably be very small compared to some of the later (guessing contested) planets because leveling will slow down bit by bit.
Who knows, time will tell. :)
btw have they announced what the level cap will be? I don't recall reading that yet...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Isileth
On the level cap I dont think one has been announced but they have said PvP gear would come in levels with a max of 50 so thats pretty likely the figure. But of course that means absolutely nothing without any rough mention of time taken to hit it. Not read that much on how they are doing progression and endgame but im sure more details will come as release gets nearer.

And im sure your right on the planets, its certainly how I would expect it to work. Obviously the capital will be still be a place you spend a lot of time im sure. Really only brought it up to show that I dont have a major preference for either side. The classes on each side look more or less copies with a few tweaks for flavour and in terms of faction preference I would lean republic but not by much. Just dislike it when the first 10 hours of a game your in some dark boring place while the other side is living it up with futuristic cities and great views.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:57 am

Scorpius
BlackDove wrote:I've read one of the books.

It was shit.

But it seems that players in the game won't be separated all too much?

The entire idea behind this "universe" or time period, is that the Sith and the Jedi are forced to work together, by way of a truce signed. What's going on is that both sides are trying to create an upset that would lead to a full out war, but the "state of the world" is cold war, and the two sides are forced to co-operate.

Way out there, only cross faction co-op will be a couple of the mid to high end flashpoints. Like Anubis I'll mainly be playing Sith on a PvP server but I'll happily role a smuggler to annoy erm hang with you guys again...... :cool:
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:13 pm

M.Steiner
Wish this was coming out this spring :/
Is the release still rumoured to be September anyone know?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Whizbang
I keep seeing Q2 of 2011 for the TOR release date. Now whether or not this will change once Q2 rolls around, who's to say. But that's the latest I've seen on a release date for TOR.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Scorpius
Hopefully we will find more out this weekend at Pax East.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Cyma
StephenReid

Release window for Star Wars: The Old Republic | 02.04.2011 , 11:12 AM

?Everyone at BioWare and EA is working to ensure that Star Wars: The Old Republic is delivered at the quality level you expect from BioWare and Star Wars.

?Star Wars: The Old Republic is expected to launch this year after the close of EA's fiscal 2011 (which ends March 31st, 2011). Information on the release date and pre-order programs will be released as it becomes available.

Stephen Reid | Senior Online Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

=) Its on their site muhahah If my pc can run it ill deifnitly be there
Huh?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:06 am

Ash
A new trailer and developer walkthrough have been posted on the SWTOR site.

Link to the Republic Taral V Dev walkthrough.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/tar ... alkthrough

Enjoy
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:20 pm

M.Steiner
Very good walkthrough I thought, hope we get some more lengthy vids soon.
I like how even before the endgame PvE content players will have to use tactics to take down some bosses. Putting their class strengths to use rather than just dpsing to hell and bashing away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Ash
What caught my attention was the improved/ polished graphics and the fact that
healing is not restricted to a specific class ie Jedi Consulor (sp?)/ Sith Inquisitor,
which is good as I would seriously expect a large proportion of the Repubilc side to
be playing Jedi Knight on release.

In game music was cool, as long as it was in game and not dubbed over for the video.

I'm not holding my breath on a release date, as I doubt anything will be said/confirmed until
after the close of Biowares current financial year at the end of March.
As it has been indicated that release will not be until after that date.

EDIT - also just watched a Space combat demo from PAX East on Darth Hater,
and its not looking as bad as I initially feared, potential for a nice little side game,
with XP and ability to upgarde your ship.
Still would have liked more of an X-Wing v TIE-Fighter feel but this good be fun.
Ash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 am

Ash
Some information regarding release date from Eric Brown, the CFO of EA.

http://darthhater.com/2011/03/15/releas ... -july-1st/
Ash

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”