SWTOR PreLaunch Guild Setup

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

SWTOR PreLaunch Guild Setup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:18 am

Scorpius
http://www.swtor.com/guilds
There you go apparently they snuck an update out on the Wednesday, sneaky Bioware. :lol:

(Edit - So the links are easy to find. [MS])
Want to join us in TOR? Join either of our pre-launch guilds below! [If you apply to join with a different name (other than your forum one) please post just so we know who you are. Thankies!]

Sith Guild
Republic Guild [TBC]
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

Re: SWTOR PreLaunch Guild Setup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:49 pm

M.Steiner
ohh this is a great idea for clans already planning to play. Very nice ^^
Should we go ahead and create one in advance guys? Only problem will be choosing from the selections lol :/

This is the form to fill out;

Choose your guild's allegiance:
[The Galactic Republic] | [The Sith Empire]

Choose your play style:
The Old Republic will offer different server types and each will emphasize different styles of game play. When your guild gets transferred into the game, it will be placed on the server type that matches your selection here.*
--Player-vs-Player servers have a slightly different rule set as PvE servers. On a PvP server, players may be attacked by other players from the opposing faction in more areas of the game world.
--Player-vs-Environment servers can be considered representative of the standard play style and rule set. The focus on PvE servers is on experiencing the story and working with friends against the non-player enemies in the game world.
--Role-Playing servers use the standard PvE ruleset, but are identified as great places for players who enjoy acting out their characters in the game world to congregate and find other like-minded players.

[PvP] | [PvE] | [Role-Play]

What language will your guild members speak?
[English]

When will your guild be active?
Select the time zone that best reflects your guild's location and desired schedule. This option DOES affect server assignment, so please select the time zone that best suits your guild.*

[US East EST] | [US West PST] | [Europe GMT]

What will your guild be called?
Shattered Star Exiles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't filled this in for real btw but going by previous posts those answers seem the most appropriate with the info to go off.
-Sith seems most likely because the majority of members that posted in the previous thread specified the Sith Empire as being their main choice. Some of us were still happy to play either side like myself but going by those posts unless there are a lot of others who didn't post but only want to play Republic it seems going Sith is the fairest option.

-PvP, best of both worlds imo. Have we ever gone PvE or RP?

-English obviously.

-Picked Europe because most people that posted in the previous thread come under that category. That being said /

Going by these questions and the search options you can pick from when searching for a guild it appears to me that we'll be able to play on whatever server we want despite whether it's primarily US or EU.
"I am looking for [Any/Empire/Republic] guilds that will play on [Any type of/PvE/PvP/Role-Playing] servers. My preferred language is [English/etc] and I prefer to play in [Any/US East/US West/Europe] time zone.".
Whilst we do have to pick whether our clan will be located on a EU or US server going by the wording here it looks to me like we'll be able to play on any regardless of where we're from, great news. :)

Once we pick a faction we can't change it so best to be sure but the sooner we're up there the better I'd say since we're given the option. Maybe we'll have some peeps looking to play with us before the game has even launched which would be very nice indeed and a good head start.
The same guild name can be registered a limited number of times apparently so I suppose there's an option of creating both a Sith and a Republic guild but that's not something I'd be wanting to go for 'cept as a last resort. Been so long since a big game came along like this and with plenty of interest so I'd rather we made the most of that and started off as strong as possible personally, rather than see us split between the 2 factions or even servers from the start. :)

To ensure our clan is transferred into the game we need to make sure whoever sets this up as is guild leader (which can be changed) verifies that we're still active and still want to be transferred when the time comes otherwise we won't be imported. The other requirement being that at least four of us must have the game pre-ordered by time of import. [We will all receive an email when phase 3 arrives). Pre-order program details to follow apparently..
I'm waiting to see if they announce any other editions of the game like a Collector's Edition and what they may include before I pre-order my copy but unless the interest here has died by then I usually pre-order my games a month or two in advance anyway.

So. Do we go ahead and create a Sith guild on a EU server? Wait a bit longer to see if more members post their preference for Republic in the other thread and see where they're from? (how long?), Or go down the splintered route and create one of each? again EU or US.. Thoughts? lol :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:44 pm

Ash
I would be interested in playing and am not personally bothered regarding Republic or Sith,
as there are character classes on both sides I'm interested in.

After reading the Guild Info, there are certain criteria that need to be met for the Guild to be transferred ingame,
namely confirmation prior to release that the guild is active (by the guild leader) and a number of guild members
need to have preordered the game.
So at the end of the day we wouldn't be held to any decision that is made here and now.

So why not create/ register a Republic and Sith Guild, then confirm the actual one prior to release that is going to be used,
once the decision has been made on the forums, the preorder members make sure they are guild members of the correct guild and hey presto.

and hey all btw.

Ash
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Whizbang
My only concern is being one of the cousins across the pond that wouldn't benefit from playing on an EU server. I understand that many of you are from east of the Atlantic :p and would prefer playing on servers that fit into your play time according to TZ. But how exactly would that work out for us that are much further into the negative of GMT? I have no real problem playing either side of the coin or what sort of server played on, but the logistics of time is one that does pose problematic.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm

M.Steiner
Ash wrote:So why not create/ register a Republic and Sith Guild, then confirm the actual one prior to release that is going to be used,
once the decision has been made on the forums, the preorder members make sure they are guild members of the correct guild and hey presto.
Hey Ash :)
This might be the best option actually. If peeps make sure they leave and join the guild we have confirmed before Bioware start transferring them that should work out ok I think. Or if we really need to we could confirm both, especially if we've got lots of outside interest in one or the other. If the leader of one of those wanted to join the other they'd have to pass leadership onto someone else first and/or disband if there are no other members linked.
We'll have to make our final decisions in phase 2 as the "guild creation and administration features will be removed from the website and moved in-game" with phase3.

Only tricky bit now would be picking a server. Might be a bit silly creating both a Sith & Republic guild for EU, US East and US west and that's if that doesn't exceed the limit of using the same name.
Mechanus wrote:My only concern is being one of the cousins across the pond that wouldn't benefit from playing on an EU server. I understand that many of you are from east of the Atlantic :p and would prefer playing on servers that fit into your play time according to TZ. But how exactly would that work out for us that are much further into the negative of GMT? I have no real problem playing either side of the coin or what sort of server played on, but the logistics of time is one that does pose problematic.
Aye this is the thing and a valid concern. Whilst the idea of global servers or being allowed to play on which ever servers you like is a great feature to have in an MMO it all depends on the group you're playing with.

In an ideal world it's nice to think that everyone can all join the same clan ingame whether they live in the US, UK, Netherlands, Germany or where ever but if your time zone is in a minority for the group itself it may not turn out very fair or enjoyable if those guys haven't got many guildies to play with, even more so if the server isn't based where you live. Back in the good days of Neocron our group was like this. NC didn't have EU/US servers but simply English/German so our clan was full of people from UK, US/Canada and Germany. It did admittedly become difficult for the US folk as we became less active as there weren't as many of us online but because the SSC/X has always had people from all over and playing at all different times, time zones were never really a problem for the most part tbh. People like myself would often be on during the nights (over here) too and end up playing with US members like Futile & Biggie and they'd often be on at our times as well so we had a really great clan there. Greatly missed heh.
Going by this I think it'll depend how many of us end up playing. Whether our final clan choice is EU or US if we manage to get a nice amount of members from each side of the pond actively playing it may not won't matter what we pick besides pings. We should get a better idea of how this'll be closer to the time but seeing how many people join our Pre-launch guild should help with that I would think.

I may go ahead and submit the form like I posted above later on. Right now EU seems most appropriate going by the previous thread so if I do I'll go with that but if it starts to look like we'll have more US players It can always be disbanded or whatever if we can remove people. :)
[Edit] Created. Will update with info shortly!.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Scorpius
The trouble with playing on different region servers is if theres going to be in game events. I'm not so keen anymore to stay up to like 2-3 am on a mornings anymore to do a world spawn raid boss or castle siege etc.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm

M.Steiner
Here we go;
http://www.swtor.com/guilds/15255/shattered-star-exiles
Sith / PvP / Europe

Get joining ;)

If one of you guys that wants to play no other than the Republic by all means create a guild on that side if you wish, for which ever time zone seems most appropriate (no harm in waiting a bit longer if you want). Even if it only turns out to be temporary it may help gauge interest like a poll. :)

As for guild leadership. Not that any of our clans ever really have a "leader" per se but I'm currently in that spot. If this is the guild we confirm for importing I have no objections to handing that spot over to someone else if needs be. Can cross that bridge if/when we come to it though!

More games should have a feature like this before they launch. No need to faff about with creating the guild(s) ingame and slowly trying to get everyone invited. Just join via the webpage before launch, re-confirm our interest/pre-orders later on and everything will be done for us. The minute we've created our characters and log-in we'll be greeted by an invite. And with the option of possible recruits along the way too? Love it.

[Edit] I will promote all of our existing members to the officer rank as you appear on the roster. That way you're all free to invite when we get ingame, so long as they're not asshats :p. Only fair since we're founding this group together. Leaving any new members we get at the default member rank.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 am

Ash
Okay I've submitted an application.

Decided on the Bounty Hunter, actually will be interesting to see how
the split will be.
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:09 am

Rock-n-Roll
If only there was an Iceland server to be a happy medium...

I'm likely to be playing this, though I'm a much, MUCH more casual game player than I used to be. Age and responsibility are a terrible thing.

I don't care Sith vs Republic. In the end, it usually ends up being semantics anyhow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I've applied to the guild. Naturally I understand our US members' qualms about using an EU server, but I think that ideally we should all play together in the game if possible - not only gives us the best chance of success, but also the best chance to have fun!

That said, as I say I would completely understand if anyone wants to play on their native servers instead. Honestly, if it were the other way round I would more than likely feel the same way - as I certainly won't be wanting to miss any RP events due to the timezone. It's a tough one really. At the end of the day, people should do what they think will allow them to have the most fun - if that means splitting us up, it's not like we'll never see each other again. Whilst it wouldn't be ideal (and a shame in many ways), I don't really think there's much point subscribing to an MMO if you know you won't be getting what you want out of it due to the server you're playing on. It all depends how important such a thing is to each one of us really.

My two cents.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:58 pm

BlackDove

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Lee
just chucked my name in the bin.

i still think it looks like warcraft with a bit of 'pew-pew' but it would be nice to get online again.... even if its only for 6 months its still worth it. (didnt appreciate wow)
Honeslty i think the videos from this year have polished up an awful lot, previous clips were a complete turn off. I'm sure fun with the gang > boring wow. Almost look forward to getting my darth maul on (which i realise sounds like something completely different outside a star wars thread)

they also seem to be doing quite well with the PR, i seem to know very little about the actual game mechanics etc. even though there seems to be lots of people getting excited about it. (I wanna know some skills goddammit)

As for EU/US thingy = if they are going to provide access to all servers (which would be nice) would it not be nice to sign up on both sides so folks can simply 'drop in'. I know its not the same as actually playing together, but if latency is a problem (beyond the timezone) it would allow the possibility of saying hi. Much like everything else with this game it seems to be very much a 'wait and see'
Eeks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
BlackDove wrote:The Republic.
Can you join multiple guilds through this system? If so, I'll join up until launch - but you do, of course, know that I'll be going Sith when the game starts. In that respect it would actually be a pretty deceptive membership.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:17 pm

M.Steiner
Made another news post on the main page linking to both group pages :thumb:

I'm still hoping only one of these groups goes ahead for importing and we all shift over to the majority faction nearer the time so we're all together but I guess we'll see how things go and look at how many join up to each.
Still think it would be best to have all mains in the same place, none of the alt business. I believe alts should be for outside the clan not in it :).
Anubis wrote:Can you join multiple guilds through this system?
No. As it goes by account you can only join (or create) one clan at a time.
Come retail you could join both on seperate characters but until we get ingame it's one or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Ash
SSX-MS wrote:Made another news post on the main page linking to both group pages :thumb:

I'm still hoping only one of these groups goes ahead for importing and we all shift over to the majority faction nearer the time so we're all together but I guess we'll see how things go and look at how many join up to each.
If we end up with just the one group and it happens to be Repbulic or an East Coast Group,
I think disbanding the Sith Euro Group and reforming it wouldn't be too much of a hardship
and would allow the Group to have the SSX mantle, as the name is currently reserved.

But I imagine these decisions will not need to be made for a couple of months atleast.

:D
Ash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:39 pm

M.Steiner
According to the program FAQ the same guild name can be registered multiple times (though there is a limit). Going with that us being able to use the SSX name should never be an issue I don't think, whether we imported one or both. But yeah. I'd have no issues disbanding the Sith guild if it meant 90% of us would still play as Republic on our mains. :)

I'm assuming BD just wanted to go with the Society name instead. I still agree with him that we should have changed it but unfortunately the membership has spoken heh.

btw just to clarify. The reason I've brought mains and alts up a few times is that a few things worry me. It's obvious that someone is going to play their main character far more than an alt for starters so activity levels is one. But thinking about "casual" players for instance who may only play a tiny amount each day. If their gametime is already limited as it is I fear we'd hardly ever see them on their alt within the clan if their main is in the opposite faction.

Deceptive membership is another thing as Anny stated. Both on the site and when we get ingame. Having alts in the clan instead of mains gives a false impression of our membership and activity level to anyone looking to join us. Sure alts are better than nothing and even if someone only has their alt in the guild they're still a member which goes without saying. However their focus won't be the clan in which their alt is a member, it'll be elsewhere.

Not just those but then there's the possibility we could get into rocky territory. It's a known fact that a player can only experience so much of an MMO's story and gameworld on their own before they *need* other players or a clan. Some may accept and be happy with this but it's guaranteed some won't. If a persons main character and clan alt are on the same server (because even if we import both guilds there's a chance we'll end up on different servers, or one may be far more active than the other) this could cause problems as some may [want to] seek other guilds on their main in order to get more out of the game. This would be sad to see.

Maybe I worry about nothing but we haven't had a new group like this for a long time. Just want to avoid any needless drama like we've had in the past, have everything as perfect as can be and for the vast majority of us all under one roof playing together, otherwise why have this place? :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:55 pm

BlackDove
The different guilds within any given particular game can be called whatever the <censored> you want them to be called.

That's how we worked it in the past, and I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case in the future.

In Freespace for example, we were the Burning Stars squadron. Before us, there was a Black Widows squadron. Both were under the =SSC= banner, and both tied back to the core clan.

Same here really. I simply went with a name I found would work. I actually find "exiles" works less, because it doesn't really convey an accurate picture to a newcomer. And I don't want to drown them in words words words words from the word go. "Well, you see, this is why...".

It could have been "No Talent Ass Clowns", and if it still referred back here (had the same rules, same people, same idea), it would be good. Though perhaps that particular clan name would be uncharacteristic, so it would be bad for that particular reason, but otherwise there should hardly be a problem as long as the identity remains unchanged.

When you start sectioning off though, then we'd have a problem. Like, refer people to another website, or worse, another forum that isn't this one? That's cause for concern.

As far as alts are concerned, we will all agree on a specific method on how to handle them within this game. The rules on that have varied from game to game, and were rather muddy. Conflicts of interest clearly present themselves, as well as potential for awful awful crap.

We will do this when we know more about how the game treats the alternate character system.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Stracius
SSX-MS wrote: have everything as perfect as can be
Wait, who's the lucky groom? Will there be a bachelorette party?
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Ash
BlackDove wrote: In Freespace for example, we were the Burning Stars squadron. Before us, there was a Black Widows squadron. Both were under the =SSC= banner, and both tied back to the core clan.
Funny you should mention this, while clearing out a couple of months ago I came across the old Burning Stars SquadWar admin codes.

Anyway getting back on track, I always liked Order of the Shattered Star.
I even used it as a temp guild name in WoW.

:D
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:44 pm

M.Steiner
Which one of you is BazookaTooths btw? Or have we got ourselves some outside interest? Don't recognise the name that's all :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 am

Kon
I think we're a bit past due for a TOR forum at this point, wouldn't you say?
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 am

Stracius
I'm assuming we're waiting until the game actually launches and we get confirmed player numbers, as I've seen no discussion of forming a group for it yet :p
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm

M.Steiner
Aye we may as well wait either until launch or phase3 of this guild program when we know for sure who'll be playing and where. Until most peeps here get to play the game for themselves and those that are part of BioWare's testing program are allowed to talk about it I think a TOR forum would go mostly unused. :)
Which one of you is BazookaTooths btw?
Still not sure if this person is an existing member or not?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm

suggz
I am going by bazooka tooths for my bounty hunter... In WoW I use this name (suggz) and Drunkenrogue.
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:24 pm

M.Steiner
Ahh righto!
I will bump you up a rank as I've been putting all existing members to officer. At least for the time being :thumb:

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”