The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:40 pm

M.Steiner
RPG fans rejoice, the wait is almost over :D
Move over Crysis & Metro 2033. Geralt of Rivia is coming!
This is my most anticipated PC title of the last few years so I'm extremely excited for this. Who else is getting it? Only a couple of days left. The first game remains one of the best RPGs ever imo and I'm sure many who have completed it would agree. After following TW2 like a hawk for so long I'd say it's very possible the sequel could top that.
For me there's going to be 2 main GOTY contenders this year. The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex. Help support CD Projekt and add this to your "to buy" list if you haven't done so already already. This is how you treat your PC crowd, Crytek.

Will post screenshots and impressions when my CE arrives on Tue/Wed! ;)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The first one really needs to impress me instead of boring me to tears on the third attempt before I consider this. Hopefully it will when I finally go back to it again :blank:

Hope you enjoy it though! Impressions and pics are obviously appreciated :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:40 pm

M.Steiner
A day late but it has arrived.
Haven't properly looked through everything yet but the hardback artbook alone is beautiful. I had a few CE's for the 360 which came with artbooks before I traded them in for PC games but none were as big or detailed as this one. If anyone's really interested I could post a few pics later on.

Off to install! :D

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:Haven't properly looked through everything yet but the hardback artbook alone is beautiful. I had a few CE's for the 360 which came with artbooks before I traded them in for PC games but none were as big or detailed as this one. If anyone's really interested I could post a few pics later on.
I command you to do so :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:20 pm

M.Steiner
Okay here we go. I took some pictures of the rest of the box too whilst I was at it. :thumb:
I just took a few random pics from inside the artbook itself as it's rather big lol. Also gonna wait until I've finished the game before I delve further into it as it'll cover lots I haven't seen much of it.
The text on the artbook pages should be clear enough to read too btw ;)

Click images to enlarge.
Image Image Image
Sexy box which houses all the contents. Game box and Geralt sculpture on the right

Roche Commando Jacket (CE DLC) / Papercraft / Stickers / Temerian Coin / Playing Cards & Guide / Dice Set & Bag

The game itself & manual / Bonus DVD including the soundtrack, screenshots, making of etc) / Printed World Map / Pamphlet & Coin / Game Guide / More papercraft. All in a very nice solid box.
(Just to note. All in the contents in this image come with the standard edition as well. Not overpriced like an Activision published title either, just 1125!)

Closeup of the Temerian Oren & Cursed Coin

Closeup of the built Geralt Papercraft (lol ^^)

Closeup of the Geralt Sculpture

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hardcover Artbook which is just under 200 pages.

This is one Collector's Edition I won't regret buying. <3 CD Projekt.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:05 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
That art really does look stunning. Not one for collecting books of art myself, or Collectors Editions of any kind really, but I do have to admit that's a nice inclusion.

Thanks for the pics :)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm

M.Steiner
Aye it is. I used to buy collector's editions for a lot for my 360 games when I was a console gamer but since I traded those in for PC replacements I haven't really bothered again unless they're something special, not overpriced and for a game I know I'm gonna love. Needless to say this one is only one of a couple that I own now lol, very impressed with it. Even the standard (though called "premium") edition of TW2 is fantastic for what you get when it's only 1125. Any other PC release which came with a game guide, printed map, soundtrack etc would cost a lot more, no doubt there. Hell, Activision (as I've said before) would put a 1135 price tag on a PC title without any of that stuff included. Really do hope this sells well for them as CD Projekt are one developer that deserves every penny. :)

Here are some of the screenshots I've taken. (Edit: Added some more)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:19 pm

BlackDove
There you go.

Anyone whines to me about how the game is hard, I swear, I'm going to call the police and have them send you to jail.

I'm even making tons of mistakes on purpose, and I'm still winning every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:09 pm

M.Steiner
(There shouldn't be any spoilers below for anyone who is either currently playing the game or will be doing shortly. I hope that BD, Ava and myself aren't the only ones who have been playing this so far as this really is an unmissable game. (Anny aside who will be doing when he finishes the first). - If you haven't completed TW1 either get to it already as you're missing out! :))

I was one of the people who, to a degree, defended BioWare and Dragon Age II when it released earlier this year. I'd still consider them one of my favourite game developers and I won't go back on my words and say I didn't enjoy DA2 at all because I did, but after seeing what an incredible job the guys at CD Projekt RED have done here it puts that game to shame. I knew TW2 would be better but quite frankly DA2 is an embarrassment for BioWare now. They better pull their socks up for DA3. Anyway....

The Witcher 1 had its faults but remains a classic which was just as good as Origins if not better. When it comes to the sequel they didn't rush it out, dumb shit down, re-use enviroments or go backwards with features. You can tell they care about their fans and have put their hearts and souls into making this game. From memory I think there may have been more sidequests in TW1 but other than that I'd say they've improved on the first in every way possible.
Looking at what they offer with the game too I find impressive and in need of mentioning. They're not trying to rip people off, sell content which should have been with the game to begin with or anything like that. For no more than the price of most other PC titles in the UK (25 quid) they include a printed copy of the world map, a Bonus DVD with soundtrack etc, a pamphlet & coin from the game, some papercraft and a game guide all in a nicely designed solid box. That's the standard edition and is already a few quid cheaper than Starcraft II which has been out almost a year. They also offer a 100% DRM free version from gog.com and not just that but all DLC for the game will be completely free. Now this is a developer worth supporting.

Combat mechanics are much better this time around. Not that they were terrible in the first game or anything (I liked em) but they've done a marvelous job this time around, it really is fantastic. It's like Assassins Creed meets Arkham but with magic, alchemy, traps and bombs in the mix too. Early on in the game especially you have to use techniques like stun/roll/trap etc against certain enemies (like guards with shields for-instance) to be able to hit them as you can't just keep mashing your left mouse. Some battles you'll benefit from drinking potions before hand as they can be quite challenging even on normal. This isn't a negative though, I happen to love it and the keyboard/mouse controls are perfect. That being said combat does get easier as you skill up.
Graphics are breathtakingly stunning as I'm sure I don't need to point out. Not that graphics are everything but when the rest of the game is first rate too they just enhance the experience. As a PC gamer with a decent rig it's nice to have another game like this as up until now Crysis/Warhead and Metro 2033 were the only real benchmarkers. Optimization is spot on too as it runs amazingly well. If it runs bad for anyone then it must be their system and not the game.
The gameworld feels completely seamless and I can't stress enough how impressive this is. You can walk around huge open areas, in and out of rooms and buildings etc without ever breaking that impression. In a lot of other games you'd be sat looking at a loading screen for several seconds every time you did this. Exit a building = loading screen. Exit the town = loading screen. Not here!. - Because of this and coupled with the beautiful graphics the game is extremely immersive and a joy to explore.

There's a day and night cycle like TW1 and NPCs go about their day to day business. If it's midnight they're not going to be out like during the day but instead have gone to bed as you'd expect. If it's evening people may get together in the Inn or gather around a campfire... Now when I think back to DA2's City of Kirkwall all I can do is cringe. It was dead and lifeless and the fast travel connections between the different districts of the city only made it feel smaller. Sure this isn't anything new for RPGs but they've still done a great job at making the world feel lived in and NPCs having a life of their own. Just one building in Flotsam has more life than the entire City of Kirkwall did.

Questing is also joy. I love how the journal fills up with the story (as written by Dandelion) for each quest you're on and updates as you progress through them. Need to quickly jog your memory? Have a read through your journal.
Sometimes your quest will have a directive but no map marker. Destroying nekker nests as one little example. How would you know exactly where they were anyway?. No hand holding and big glowing marker, get out there and explore.
Another example is when you're trying to find a certain character. Again, no marker. You literally have to track this persons trail through the forest with dead ends too. I thought this was a nice touch.
In some other games if you're given markers all the time and you constantly fill your quest log up with missions they can be a bit of a chore. Like a shopping list that you'll mindlessly go from A to B doing several at a time and sometimes without even caring. Never like that with TW2, never a dull moment and all the quests feel significant enough. Whilst I'm on the subject of traveling there's no fast travel either thankfully. Why anyone would want such a system when they can walk through TW2's lush environments and take in their surroundings I don't know but I'm glad there isn't.

Story choices... One of TW1's strongest aspects were the moral choices. Certainly the best RPG I have played where they are concerned. Lots of grey and wasn't always sure what the consequences would be. You could find yourself having to choose between what you consider the lesser of two evils and you may not find out the outcome of some of those until it was too late to go about them differently. In the end especially if it was your first time playing the game you may not have your "perfect" playthrough.
TW2 has again been very impressive. Take DA2 again for example, you may have had choices but ultimately they changed very little and even then not until the very end. TW2 is a different story. Depending how things go down for you in chapter 1 you may end up in entirely different locations with new quests and npcs for chapter 2. This is pretty great if you ask me.

I haven't commented on the voice acting, soundtrack or crafting but all are excellent too. Infact I really have no complaints about the game what so ever. Sure I've had a couple of niggles but they're honestly not worth mentioning tbh. This is as close to perfection as you get imo.

Ever since The Witcher 2 was announced I knew it would be fantastic after playing the first game but it's not only both RPG and game of the year but one of the best games I have ever played. They have really surprised me I must say and it's even better than I had hoped for. As for the a few people commenting on the ending being "lackluster" well that is just bollocks if you ask me. None of the story was.
If you're a PC gamer and you like mature, well written, non-linear and deeply engaging RPGs then The Witcher 2 is a must buy. Anyone claiming the game to be anything less than amazing is either trolling or just doesn't know what they're talking about.
CDPR truely delivered with this sequel. TW2 is a real gem of a game and (at least for the time being) is the RPG to beat.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... her/714184

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Padishar
MS summed it up prrrrfectly :cool:
I usually have a stream of input on a game as well, but with this?

Awesome Game... Just... Awesome :thumb: :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:46 pm

M.Steiner
Good to see someone else experiencing the awesomeness!. Loved this game so much :D
I've just added 3 more closeup images of the CE a few posts above for anyone interested btw (the coins, 1 of the papercrafts and the sculpture). Was taking some photos anyway so figured I might as well post them too. Oh and a couple of extra screenies above which I added yesterday aswell. Some may have seen those already...

Linked this on IRC yesterday too... (Probably NSFW :p)
:lol: oO

Tweaks courtesy of BD
Go to Documents > Witcher 2 > Config. Then open "User.ini"

Right near the bottom you will find the Uber Sampling option which will either be set to "UberSampling=0" or "UberSampling=2" (off and on). (For those who don't know what this setting does - "The whole scene is rendered multiple times to give best possible texture and object details and antialiasing (better than antialias and anisotropy even on highest settings").
If you enable this option the configuration utility sets the level to 2 automatically and unless you're running a dual-GPU (6990 / 590) it's likely your fps will take a hit from having it on even if it's playable for the most part. I'm running a 2GB 6970 and decided to leave it off for that reason. (That being said the 1.1 patch coming this evening reportedly gives a performance improvement so I may try going with 2 again.)
You can however edit the User.uni to "UberSampling=1" instead. This should give you a boost without the noticeable performance drop that "2" gives. ;)

Also in the User.ini you will find "TextureMemoryBudget"
"If you have a 1gb card, write "1000" there. If you have a 2gb card, write "2000". Gave me about another 5-7 fps and made the loading and running around MUCH smoother."
^I haven't tried this particular one myself yet but both were mentioned by BD on IRC yesterday. Noticed Mech asking for them posting so here they are for future use :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm

M.Steiner
Just thought I'd mention... The Patch 1.1 which CDPR released last night not only fixed, added and improved some stuff with the game but also removed the DRM. TW2 is now DRM free for everyone world-wide. :)

"Our goal is to make our fans and customers happy and to reward them for buying our game and DRM schemes does not support our philosophy as they might create obstacles for users of legally bought copies. Our approach to countering piracy is to incorporate superior value in the legal version. This means it has to be superior in every respect: less troublesome to use and install, with full support, and with access to additional content and services. So, we felt keeping the DRM would mainly hurt our legitimate users. This is completely in line with what we said before the release of The Witcher 2. We felt DRM was necessary to prevent the game being pirated and leaked before release. This purpose has been served, so we are pleased to let our users enjoy the full freedom of game usage they deserve."

"It111s important to remember that the PC platform is far more complex than consoles. DRM adds another layer of complication and potential problems. We saw this clearly in our game. Pre-release tests showed only small performance differences compared to the DRM-free (GOG.com) versions. We were unpleasantly surprised when some of our fans reported much larger differences, up to 30% lower framerates. This was another clear signal that we had to remove DRM as soon as possible 111 the quality of our users111 gameplay experience is absolutely our number one priority!"

There was also a slight problem with the Polish Collector's Edition not activating until a some hours after it was supposed to do. Because of that they're giving every CE owner in Poland a free TW2 t-shirt of their choice (they can pick between 4).
Oh and for anyone who received a damaged sculpture they're going to be sending replacements out with a surprise in every package....

They keep on impressing. Gotta say I agree with them 100% as for the DRM. Not that their DRM was excessive or anything compared to some games out there but it does annoy me from time to time when pirates can download away and yet it's often the legit users who are supporting the developers that get screwed. Ubisofts always-on DRM was a good example of that, which they thankfully haven't been using much lately.
Bold move for them to admit that and completely remove it for everyone as they didn't have to do either. These guys are amazing, love em.
SSX-MS wrote:.......Now this is a developer worth supporting.
:thumb:

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mmmm. Whilst a lot of what you have said in this thread has struck a chord with me MS, and made me more open to a replay of TW1 as more than a "oh go on then"thing, I have to say that the DRM thing doesn't really impress me at all. Whilst it's nice to see them patching it out, the problem remains that the game needs to be installed for the patch to be applied. So in effect, you have to put the DRM on your machine anyway - something far from admirable.

With regards to DRM, the only thing developers can do to earn my respect on that count (and indeed my money too in cases where DRM could swing me away from a purchase) is to either use no DRM at all, or re-release the game with no DRM included. Honestly, if the DRM has to go on my system anyway, why should I give you credit for claiming you'll clean up the mess you've made afterwards?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 pm

M.Steiner
You do have a point though as I say above they didn't have to remove it. I mean, even with the potential performance increases the removal of the DRM gives its users some developers would still have left it in place regardless and maybe only removed it months (or perhaps years) later if at all. I'm quite impressed that they have removed it just over a week after release. Lets face it, the majority of PC games have some kind of DRM these days... :)
As for having the DRM on your system to start with to be able to patch it out. Well there's still the Gog.com version which is 100% DRM free out of the box and doesn't require you to run it through a client like steam either. Can't ask for better really. ;)

(Some more free stuff coming at the end of next week too apparently. Not sure what but free is always good!.)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:07 am

Padishar
If nothing else, they are sending a message that they are no longer supporting the lunacy that is DRM. :cool:

And thanks for the tweak info, I will try it out after I get my ordered XFX Radeon 6870 HD 1GB on Tues.
Finally got around to upgrading from Saphire Radeon 4870 HD 1GB. :sweat:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Scorpius
Kinda on the fence with this game whereas the Witcher was an excellent game the state this one has been released in is somewhat surprising.
The most frequent problem I have is it deciding to dump me to desktop everynow and then, having to manually delete save games (really in this day and age !) The extreme steep learning curve at the beginning of the game as the manual is about as helpful as a case of the thrush.
Other than that I've been enjoying the game. They could do with having a junk tab in the inventory so I can easily find the trash items to sell.
In terms of enjoyment I have to say I prefer DA 2 to this but only by a narrow margin.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:38 pm

M.Steiner
Scorpius wrote:The most frequent problem I have is it deciding to dump me to desktop everynow and then
I've had this too but literally only once or twice which is why I didn't mention it. Other than the issue of not being able to download my DLC at first it has been running flawlessly really.
I dunno whether this will help you or not mate or even be worth trying but I saw this post on the NeoGAF forums just now.
If you're using Vista 32/ Win7 32 and experiencing crashes to desktop you need to do this.

enable the 3GB switch on the Windows Vista111 or Windows 7 operating systems.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista111 or Windows 7:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:
Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
Restart the computer.

The game stopped crashing for me ever since.

I'll be going back to my chapter 1 save tomorrow probably just as soon as I've finished up with L.A. Noire. I was pro Roche on my first playthrough so I'll see what the Iorveth path is like this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Padishar
I use 6GB RAM with Win7 64bit, which prob explains why its never crashed on me, if it is a 32 bit issue ^^
Which has usually been the opposite in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 pm

M.Steiner
aye me too :)

Patch 1.2 coming tomorrow btw. Click here for the changelog.
-It's nice to see that they are including all of the preorder bonuses in the upcoming patch, just another example of their awesomeness. Sure they are only items but you can guarantee most other developers would have released those either individually, as a pack or not at all and would have charged for them had they done so. Mafia 2 car & clothing packs and some (though not all) of the DLC included in the R* pass for L.A. Noire as 2 examples.

Also for anyone living under a rock The Witcher 2 has been confirmed for the Xbox 360 and will be coming before the end of the year (Nov I think). - Sweet new trailer for that here. Lucky guys!

Hopefully they'll give us some news on any possible expansion packs in the near future too...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 am

Scorpius
Padishar wrote:I use 6GB RAM with Win7 64bit, which prob explains why its never crashed on me, if it is a 32 bit issue ^^
Which has usually been the opposite in the past.
Snap but it still crashes on me, only the kick back to desktop tho and the odd slow down when I want to access the ingame menu to save a game. Basically I'll start a game 5-10 minutes later it will just kick me back to the desktop, I'll restart and it will be trouble free apart from the odd slow down.
I've just got the Witcher working so I'm playing that again to see what changes are made in number 2 depending on what I did during the first game.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 am

M.Steiner
Speaking of TW1 choices. It's a shame Shani wasn't given a mention in TW2, unless I missed it?. I haven't read the novels (was thinking about buying them) but I know she's only supposed to be a minor character in those so wasn't expecting to see her ingame. Still, a brief mention of her wouldn't have gone unmissed especially for those who
chose her over Triss in the first game for taking care of Alvin.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 am

M.Steiner
Just a quick update but for those of you who sided with Roche on your first playthrough (like BD and myself), reload a chapter 1 save and go back and side with Iorveth instead. Just finished my second playthrough and holy shit, you won't regret it. ;)
I won't spoil anything for you but it's amazing to see just how different they play out and the things you learn when playing from the other perspective. One thing in particular you're pretty much oblivious to on the Roche path. For that reason it actually worked out better playing the Roche path first and replaying with Iorveth. Probably gave me a bigger "oh wow really??!" moment than I probably would have had by playing Iorveth first instead.
Incredible :thumb: :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
As an update on my attempt to actually GET to this game, I am surprisingly finding The Witcher 1 a lot more enjoyable this time around - not entirely sure why though.

At this moment I'd say it's quite likely that I will indeed progress onto 2, but we'll see. A lot can change yet, and I'm still not that far past where I dropped the game the last two times :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Finally finished The Witcher. Boy there was a lot of content in that game :)

I will be progressing onto 2 immediately, as I came out having thoroughly enjoyed the first when all was said and done.
Also, I KNEW that there was something up with Alvin. I never trusted him since he first reappeared, and kept doing so wherever chaos sprung up. I also didn't trust Triss at all, and believed that she was the one behind Adda being turned into a Striga for quite some time. That suspicion though, proved false.

Nice to have a game making me question things and people like that though. Very few games do :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:06 am

Stracius
For anyone who hasn't picked this one up yet, Steam's got another sale going on that has dropped it down to $30.
Steam wrote:Buy now The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and update to new & improved PC version 2.0 for free on the 29th of September 2011!

blah blah new tutorial system blah blah New difficulty setting "Dark" for the insane and new arcade-style game mode called "Arena". Aside from this new content, version 2.0 includes all of the previously-released DLC – nine packs in all! blah blah blah
On a side note, I'd also recommend checking out the indie section of games. Say what you will about Steam itself *cough*anny*cough*, but its support for independent game developers is fantastic and I've been finding a lot of great games that wouldn't otherwise have received anywhere near their deserved level of attention; Bastion, Braid, Solar 2, Trine, LIMBO, Ben there Dan that, Machinarium, and Tiny Bang Story just to name a few.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

Return to “General Discussions”