Double Fine Adventure & Kickstarter General

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: Double Fine Adventure & Kickstarter General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Small text? Ashamed? :p
Actually, no lol :p
Just figured most people who were viewing this thread would already be aware of it by the time I posted it ;)

I haven't done just yet but I'll be pledging towards Shadow run too, probably Larry as well just for fun heh.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Stracius
Mechanus wrote:
M.Steiner wrote:Developers need to slow the <censored> down with these kickstarters already, there are only so many I can support! :lol:
Shadowrun Returns :thumb:

(and for those who don't frequent IRC - Leisure Suit Larry)
My pledged to Shadowrun without a second thought. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Seconded.

Also, the kickstarter video for it: laughed my ass off at 1:45, even harder at 1:47. So true, so true. I couldn't figure out why the host (Jordan) was bothering to mention the xbox game Shadowrun until the aforementioned scenes.

Never had the opportunity to play the P&P version, but the SNES version was one of my all-time favorite SNES games. The Sega version was pretty good as well.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

Stracius
Who said the space flight genre was dead?

It's not Freespace: Resurrection, but it's worth checking out. I was a bit skeptical about the low 150k for a good space sim, but this guy has quite the resume. Hopefully more details will emerge about the project.

edit: Found more in the comments section, seems Mr. Gaber has been active in responding. Here's a snippet:
Supporter wrote:1. Joystick support? By which I mean actually tuned for a Joystick and no just it works sort off.

2.How are the physics going to play out? Personally I love them in Freespace and wing commander,not so much for freelancer.
Escape Hatch Entertainment wrote:1. Joystick support is definitely planned. We have several in studio and will be making sure that the game is well tuned for all the supported input devices.

2. We have an extremely robust physics model, both for planetary and orbital environments. We are going to make sure that the physics don't get in the way of the fun, and feel right.

My pitch is vague only because one is only given so much time to make a pitch and choices have to be made about what to show... We are planning to do an update in a few days that shows a razzed up version of that teaser, with all shots redone at the proper PC resolution, but that won't even reflect the final art.

I'm going to be putting together a FAQ and an update over the next couple days.
Seems like they're going to do a version for the Vita, too, for any owners here. I'll buy a new joystick for my PC, but that dual analog joystick control could be interesting.

And yes, more details are soon forthcoming. Keep your eye on this one.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:21 pm

M.Steiner
That sounds rather interesting for fans of the genre, though I'm not really a fan of space combat games if I'm honest so this one isn't for me. Hopefully something the rest of you are interested in supporting though :)

I found another I liked the look of a day or two ago and linked it on IRC but there has been absolutely no promotion of it so far. Less than 100 backers atm.
Tis called Nekro. Oh and there's Ravaged too.

Also! - episode 1 of the DFA documentary series entitled "Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure!" is up. Log in to watch. :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Stracius
Nekro caught my eye as well; pitched into that effort.
M.Steiner wrote:I'm not really a fan of space combat games
BUUUUUUUUUUUURN THE HERETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!

Edited for accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:
M.Steiner wrote:I'm not really a fan of space combat games
BUUUUUUUUUUUURN THE HERETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!
Agreed. I'll get the kindling, you get the petrol to douse him with.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:15 pm

M.Steiner
Police Warfare
It's a multiplayer shooter but the thought of a "Heat" inspired video game with a cops and robbers focus including vehicles, rappelling system & stuff like that sounds like a lot of fun to me. Ofc there was the Kane & Lynch MP but that was hardly game of the year heh. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll say it again, just looking at that one reminds me of our antics in the SWAT 3 Beta many moons ago :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm

M.Steiner
The kickstarter page hasn't gone live yet (just a preview) but I discovered this one earlier today; Grim Dawn. :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:39 pm

M.Steiner
Anyone spotted any new projects worth supporting?

Here's a few I haven't posted yet:
République
I looked at this one when it was first posted and really liked the look of it and ideas behind it, only trouble was it was an iOS title only so I (and many others it seems) didn't bother backing it. However! they recently announced PC & Mac versions which was great news but seeing as they're at 32% funded with only 8 days to go... I think they left it a little too late unfortunately :/
Go pledge and lets try make this happen. Would be a shame to see it fail :)

Jane Jensen's Moebius
This one has been up a while now but forgot to post it.

and 2 new ones which I backed yesterday:
Cross of the Dutchman and Spate.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm mainly relying on you pointing out good ones to me rather than looking for new ones myself, I must admit :lol:

Republique looks very interesting - had definately slipped under the radar for me. I'm just reading through all their information now - hopefully they can pull off a miracle in the next week...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:32 pm

M.Steiner
Hope so, will be extremely disappointing if not. :)
They've just announced 2 of the people who will be doing voice over work on their game too - David Hayter & Jennifer Hale. Pretty impressive imo ^^
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486 ... sts/220041

Update: Dead State kickstarter is apparently coming "soon" too. A couple of weeks ago Brian said they'd be launching it in around a months time, once all of their team had signed off on the trailer they're putting together for it. Soo if all is going to plan this may be ready to go live in a couple of weeks!

Oh and has anyone played the "Tex Murphy" games by any chance?. Anny maybe? I know you like your adventure games. :)
I've never heard of em before so not sure if they were any good or not but for anyone interested, Big Finish are launching a kickstarter on the 15th for a new Tex game. [Youtube vid]

Will keep on the lookout for any others! :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:21 am

Stracius
I saw the republique and promptly ignored it when I noticed the "for mobile devices" part. I'll give it another look-see.

In other news, I'm happy that Nekro was successfully funded!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:52 am

M.Steiner
République has gone from 32% funded to 43% in the last 20hrs which is good to see. Hopefully it'll continue at a decent rate, maybe having Solid Snake on board will help!

I decided not to pledge for Nekro in the end (same with Ravaged) but only because I'd already backed quite a lot of other projects at the time and I didn't wanna go crazy. I saw it was successfully funded this morning though which is really nice to see. I'll definitely give it a look when they eventually release :)

Also one more: Drifter. This isn't one I'm interested in myself but thought maybe some of you would be. Tis another space game. :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Sadly does not look like Republique will make it - would require a mammoth effort to get about 50% of the budget in 3 days :(

Also on the incredibly sad front, it appears that Starlight Inception is also going to fail. Such a shame, would have been great to get a new space combat game too. Oh well - back to Freespace again methinks!

MS - bring us more positive news oh Kickstarter guru!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:10 am

M.Steiner
Not to get anyones hopes up but it's very possible that Starlight Inception could still make it. The game still doesn't interest me in the slightest but I do hope it succeeds for them and for those of you who have been supporting it :)
Takedown looked very much the same during the final few hours and I was almost certain it would fail, however.. During the last 2-3hrs Notch made a tweet, someone came along and pledged a massive 10 grand and then they exceeded their budget by around 20k too. All just within the last few hours so SI could still manage it if they're lucky, not long to find out...

République on the other hand.. 206k in 70hrs is looking unlikely I'm very sad to say. Fingers crossed that they've got some friends holding out until the last minute to save the day. I've doubled my pledge too for whatever good it'll do.
(New video on their page too btw)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:23 am

Stracius
Made it with 30 minutes to spare :D

Break out your joysticks and blow off the dust, guys. We've got some time to sharpen old skills while this one gets constructed.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:Made it with 30 minutes to spare :D

Break out your joysticks and blow off the dust, guys. We've got some time to sharpen old skills while this one gets constructed.
Honestly amazed at this. It still had 33% to go when I checked yesterday.

Great to see though! Just hope that it lives up to my hopes for it now! Will truly be great to see a new space combat game come along - been far too long since FS2's release :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm

M.Steiner
yay
Happy for you guys :)

Now we just need to pray for a miracale with Republique lol :sweat:

Here's 2 more. I haven't pledged for either of these myself but they're proving to be very popular.
Two Guys SpaceVenture - by the creators of Space Quest
Carmageddon: Reincarnation

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

M.Steiner
Only 90k to go now with 25hrs left. Looks like Republique will get funded afterall ^^

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm

M.Steiner
Live steam of the final three hours of the Republique kickstarter tonight btw - 8pm - 11pm BST (12pm - 3pm PST). Anyone else gonna watch? :)
Final update: 30k to go with 10hrs remaining.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan/posts/224956 wrote:Billy and I will be hosting a special live stream tomorrow for the final three hours of this Kickstarter campaign. (12PM - 3PM PST) We're really excited to connect with you all and see if we reach this goal together with you. There could be tears of agony or cries of joy (or both!), so don't miss this. We're inviting a bunch of friends to join us on the air, eat our food, crack jokes, and answer questions from all of you!

Takedown's Christian Allen will be joining us as will 5th Cell's Jeremiah Slaczka. We're even going to have a TV setup so we can play through some related and Republique-inspired games like Resident Evil, Seaman 2 and even Lifeline! We may even lift the veil off our first prototype... So please, spend your Friday with us!

Link! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/republique

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Final update: 30k to go with 10hrs remaining.
Amazingly it made it. I thought it would be WAY short - good on them.

I may or may not watch the stream, we'll see. Glad that it's up and running though :)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 pm

M.Steiner
Well done to those of you supported it too!
It's being able to help fund original, innovative games like this which make kickstarter so damn great. Really happy for them. ;D

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:It's being able to help fund original, innovative games like this which make kickstarter so damn great.
Don't forget to thank Tim Schafer, God Among Men, for making it all possible :p

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:32 pm

M.Steiner
This is true heh :)
Whilst kickstarter was going long before him (and for games too) it's thanks to Tim Schafer and the huge success of the Double Fine Adventure that we now have so many other developers using it as a platform for their projects too.

Return to “General Discussions”