Guild Wars 2

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: Guild Wars 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
My eyes are being drawn despite myself.

A mini-review or your impressions of the game would be very welcome, to either further tempt or put me off :lol:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 pm

SSX-Andy
Haven't really gotten so far as to do a review yet.

So far I'm having a blast, although remade my char a few times to get a look I liked. Damned good graphics and too many choices.

Didn't play the original GW so can't compare with that one. The skill system is different. Been playing an Elementalist, so trying to learn to change attunements based on what is required. Have so far not placed any points into any skills yet, no idea what do buy but will probably get around to it.

One thing that really annoys me is the Overflow system. If an area is full you are placed in an overflow, a copy of the world. Then moved to the real world when there is place. Would have been better if they just made several "real" worlds since the overflow acts like it in real way, apart from keeping groups together and letting you move to each others overflow worlds. Makes doing things together difficult this early since everyone is in the starting areas.

The public quest system is rather fun. Remind me of the one in WAR where everyone in the area worked towards the same objectives. Seems to only be those quests and the personal storyline. Suits me fine since I'm starting to get bored with the kill XX things then come back to me quests.

Will give a more in depth description when I have come further into the game and actually started to use skills and leave the starter area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:45 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:A mini-review or your impressions of the game would be very welcome, to either further tempt or put me off :lol:
Think I pretty much covered most things I've experienced this afternoon on IRC but if you want to ask anything else please do, can post the chatlog if anyone else wanted to read too btw. Would be great if you got it mate :)
Really loving the game so far though which you probably gathered hehe.

Ash playing too?
I hadn't really thought about starting a new group up in this game since there didn't seem to be many of us, plus Chim is on a US world and not sure where Mech plans on rolling. But did you guys want to create a little guild or something on Gandara just to chat amongst ourselves n stuff?. Looking at the menu we can create guilds at the click of a button without the need to have X amount of people online at the same time like TOR, just costs 1silver iirc.

I've been uploading some of my screenies on my journey too btw, can view them here as I keep adding them :thumb:
Gonna try some WvW tonight I think as I haven't played any of that since beta, been enjoying the PvE content so much and figuring everything out as I go that I haven't got to that yet!
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Ash
Yep I am playing, but with the crowd I played GW1.

Norn Ranger currently lvl 26 and levelling has just flown by.

Main is called Greywulfe, Home server is Maguuma (US).

Loving the game so far, very natural progression and there are plenty of things to do.
Crafting is nicely done, especially cooking. :rolleyes:

Even tried abit of WvWvW on day 1 which was fun but totally disorganised.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:08 pm

M.Steiner
Ahh kk Ash, well hope you have fun over there man. We could always guest at some point I guess! :)

As for a guild, little update on my last post.
Andy, Anny (if you get it) and Mech (if you're not going on a US based server like Chim). This is not set in stone as it hasn't been created yet I don't think but how'd you fancy joining a new guild with some of our old wow buddies?. People like Bob, Dodo, Triv, Dyna, Ava? All of these guys have got (or are planning on getting) the game and playing on Gandara too. Could be good! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:23 am

Padishar
Not sure which server to pick.
Wonder if EU members get preferential placement,
because Gandara always shows as full to me (at least the last 2 days)
and does not allow me to make a char there.

It stinks that we can't just play in the big ol sandbox like we did with GW1.

Oh yeah, I logged in and updated the old GW1 SSX Guild MOTD,
just to see if anyone still played it and to invite them here.
Looks like a couple still do, but they havn't played in months.

Any idea on an official US server? seems we have 2 people so far and both are on diff servers... hehe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Chimera
I have a character on Darkhaven I'll be playing with my wife. Oh, ArenaNet ID is Derffe.3290.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm

M.Steiner
Padishar wrote:Wonder if EU members get preferential placement,
because Gandara always shows as full to me (at least the last 2 days)
and does not allow me to make a char there.
hmm maybe. My bro only bought his copy last night but said he had no issues with choosing Gandara as his home server and creating a character.

Loving the look of Lion's Arch. Like something out of a Final Fantasy game ^^
ImageImage

Also to give you guys an idea of the sheer size of WvW:
ImageImage

And some other WvW shots:
ImageImage

So much fun :)
I'd say this has been by far the smoothest MMO launch & early access I've ever experienced too. Will see how things go this evening but other than a couple of hiccups I honestly don't think it could have gone better. Very surprising for such a massive launch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Ahh kk Ash, well hope you have fun over there man. We could always guest at some point I guess! :)

As for a guild, little update on my last post.
Andy, Anny (if you get it) and Mech (if you're not going on a US based server like Chim). This is not set in stone as it hasn't been created yet I don't think but how'd you fancy joining a new guild with some of our old wow buddies?. People like Bob, Dodo, Triv, Dyna, Ava? All of these guys have got (or are planning on getting) the game and playing on Gandara too. Could be good! :)
Still not sure whether or not I'll buy it anytime soon (as I have other things I'm hopeful will be going on for me sometime soon that may consume more of my time), but if I were to buy it that sounds really good to me mate.

Would be nice to see some of the old WoW-EU crowd again :) Would it be an SSX group, or something else? We can provide facilities if you guys need them.

Also, those pics are so pretty :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Padishar
Chimera wrote:I have a character on Darkhaven I'll be playing with my wife. Oh, ArenaNet ID is Derffe.3290.
I checked one last time this morning and Gandara was still full, then seen your post Chim and Darkhaven it is!
My Arena ID is Pad.9572

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:25 pm

SSX-Andy
Think they have free server transfers for a while after release. You can always try changing server for the account. It will cost jewels to switch servers later on, but afaik it is free now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:13 pm

M.Steiner
This is amazing lol. I need to try this at some point :D
(It's not shown in the video but when you come to the end of the vid with the chest and the pirate, there's a karma vendor selling pirate weapons down there too)

[Dumb question maybe but what is this icon for? Image
It has a number next to it but I'm not sure what it means, perhaps I've just forgotten...] [Edit: nm, think it's achievement points?]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 pm

suggz
Hey guys, I am thinking about picking this up... I just have to wait and see what my school workload looks like before I commit to something that's going to steal large chunks of my time. I will most likely be playing on Darkhaven as I am in the US.
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Chimera
Yeah I'll definitely be playing this. I'm completing moving apartments this weekend and then I'll be in California to do some science until the 14th. But after that count on me being in the game :)
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Padishar
Thx for the update on server transfers!
Its good to know we can all merge at some point if we opt to after the dust settles ^^

I have had very little time beyond making a couple chars/reserving names, to play much... work work work.
Though I will play a lil tonight and then will be back Sunday or Monday, as I will be in New York till then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Ash
I did the pirate puzzle in Lions Arch the other day,
good fun.

Just make sure you have a couple of people to allow on the spot rezzing.

;D
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 pm

SSX-Andy
Gandara is only listed as High on the world select now.

Think it's possible to change just by clicking the Transfer button.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Do you guys need a forum or anything that we can provide for you btw? There seem to be a few of you now, albeit scattered across a few servers, so depends how you all feel?

Just shout if we can help you all out in any way really :)

EDIT: Might actually be a better idea to un-archive the GuildWars forum than create a new one for GW2? Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:59 pm

M.Steiner
Probably best to wait and see how much more GW2 chatter there is in here first, but in the case that we do it might be a good idea to reopen the old GW1 forum, yep. Then just add GW2 into the name somewhere too so there's no confusion.
Still a lot of games on the way which I expect to be spending lots of time with so as each of those release I'll be spending less time with GW2 personally. Really need to spend more time with Planetside 2 for a start but Borderlands 2 is only 3 weeks away and just 6 weeks for my lovely Dishonored. Ohh yeah. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:38 am

suggz
Hey, got the game and set up on darkhaven... my ID is mboom.4287. If people end up wanting to set the guild up on the other server I don't have a problem with transferring over.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:50 pm

SSX-Andy
Hmm... seem to know quite a few people on Desolation as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:43 pm

suggz
Hey guys hows it going? I have been playing GW2 a good amount the last week and must say I am enjoying the ride. I am only at lvl 22 on my ranger "the humble assassin"... The thing that I like the most is how the game just allows you to run around and lvl without ever having to stop and talk to quest givers. Also the lvl down scaling for lower lvl areas is awesome. Keeps the zones fun and challenging while still dropping loot that is useful for my actual lvl. This system really works for people like me who might only have an hour or so a few times a week to play. You can cover a ton of ground and lvl quick in a short play session unlike other MMOs that might require a bit more time dedication. How are you guys finding the game so far?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Whizbang
Really enjoying this game. They've made the game flow so that I don't ever feel like I'm too big for a level and never have to run around and find someone to tell me to kill 20 chickens to find a snowball and bring it back. I'm also enjoying the crafting aspect and how you're given basic recipes and then get to discover new ones. Another thing that I've found refreshing is the weapon swapping which allows you to change your skills on the fly. Really nice to have my ranger throwing out damage from his long bow and then to swap over to a sword/dagger combo and begin laying down the hurt in melee.

I must say that this is leaps and bounds better than what GW1 was and I have had a hard time not playing this game and losing hours of my life. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:44 pm

M.Steiner
suggz wrote:Also the lvl down scaling for lower lvl areas is awesome. Keeps the zones fun and challenging while still dropping loot that is useful for my actual lvl.
Yep. This is just one of the amazing systems that ANet have in GW2. Whilst it can sometimes be good being able to storm your way through a lower level area in other MMOs, either to get through content on your own which was actually aimed at groups or to farm loot/credits or whatever, it doesn't stay enjoyable for long when you're 2 shotting mobs and no part of it is a challenge. It's like using a godmode cheat or something.

The deranking system is fantastic though for many reasons and for different types of players too. I've played quite a lot of WvW myself which was one of the main reasons I bought the game besides the dynamic world events system but playing WvW gives me a ton of exp at the same time, especially when we're taking several points on the map one after the other. Because of that I'm not far from level 80 now but my world completion is less than 40% still, plus I've got loads of my personal story left. In other games I would have out leveled sooo much content there and whilst the option would still have been there to go back and do them it would have got boring quick when I was X times higher than the area was aimed at.
Thanks to GW2's scaling though I can still go back and do any lower level zone or personal story mission and my level will get scaled down to match it whilst I'm in the area. Every zone in the game can be experienced as intended this way and remains a challenge whatever your level. The rewards from these (like personal story quests) are still for the original level they were intended for but any loot that drops is for my true level and you still gain exp from lower level areas too. I'm also a bit of a completionist and love exploring in games where it's actually useful and fun to do so like in GW2 so big props to them for this.
Something like this would have been really good for us in TOR tbh. Those of us who were far ahead of the guys who only played casually could still have done content together at whatever level brackets without that flashpoint or whatever becoming piss easy. Shame.

- Absolutely love the dynamic world. No quest hubs, just go out there and join in with events and quests going on around you. No need to manually form groups for the events as all surrounding players participate and are help towards the goal. This is the way forward. - Great article BD linked yesterday which talks about this and Firefall.
- World vs World. Quite simply there aren't many other MMOs out there which have pvp like this, with 3 massive maps full of capturable camps, towers, keeps, castles, siege weapons and on such a large scale with 3 servers vs each other besides something like Planetside 2. It may come across as just a massive zerg but there's a lot of planning and coordination behind it when people are playing well and listening, it's even a little bit RTS like tbh. Taking out the enemies supply lines (supply is used for both defense and offence: for building siege weapons, reinforcing a building, repairing walls and gates), defending your own stuff etc. Joining WvW will boost your level straight to 80 if you are less than that but you still use the same gear and utility skills you've unlocked outside of it for your real level. - WvW gives exp just like pve and gear bought with badges (sometimes dropped from enemies) can be used outside of WvW too. Plus all other loot dropped is for your real level as well.
- sPvP for those who like smaller scale 5v5 pvp tournaments. Like WvW, joining the structure PvP mode will raise your level to 80 however with sPvP you'll also unlock all of the skills and items that you'd have at 80 too. In this pvp you earn glory which is used to buy pvp gear but this is only available to use inside sPvP itself. So whether it's WvW pvp or structured PvP it's quite viable to simply play one or the other if you didn't want to focus on the pve side of the game.
- No kill stealing, everyone gets the exp and loot if there is any.
- No rushing for a gathering point. Several players can all gather from the same spot and it won't disappear until you've used it yourself. All players can gather too regardless of crafting skill, you just need the tools for it.
- Unlocking new craftable recipes with the discovery window. Here you have 4 boxes where you can place different ingredients you find and it'll find you new things to make with what you've got. - Also the mystic forge is pretty cool. Pop 4 greens in for example and it may give you a rare yellow in return.
- Skill system and combat looks standard but is also quite different. Weapon swapping (or elements) mid-combat to use different skills, swapping out your utility and elite skills whenever you want without needing to respec. Can use a different set of utility skills for pvp, one for pve etc. Dodging attacks.. Even as a necro I can choose whether I want to use daggers (in both hands or just one with a horn or focus in offhand), a staff, axes... All of which have their own set of skills so weapon swapping is very useful if you want to get the most out of it.
- Death of the trinity. No dedicated tanks, healers or damage dealers. Everyone gets access to their own utility healing skills for example.
- Underwater areas and combat.
- Exploration is actually fun and beneficial with vistas, jumping puzzles, hidden areas, events you may not have come across otherwise. You get rewards for fully completing and exploring each map. When you finally reach 100% world completion you get a gold star next to your name too ~ I know this cos I've seen a few people with it already hehe.
- Guilds gain "influence" by completing content either alone or together whilst representing the guild. Influence is used to unlock things like banks, guild emblems for banners (which you can place down for buffs, or which get displayed outside buildings in WvW if your guild is the one to claim them), buffs, guild armour etc.
- The trading post is not limited to server by server but is actually global so you can usually find whatever you're looking for. If however you're looking for something either in high demand, low drop rate or whatever you can even put a order in for it. Here you'll agree on how much you're willing to pay for the item you want then when someone comes to sell one of those items themselves they'll be able to see how many orders there are for it. Selling for that price will sell to the people who put their orders in. Really cool feature.
- No player mounts but you will discover waypoints on your travels. Each map has multiple of these and you can fast travel to them whenever you want, wherever you are and for just a small fee. I do hope they add mounts though even if they're not really "needed" to get about.

So many things to list which make GW2 so great tbh and far from being "another WoW".

Oh and the dye system is brilliant. Soooo many different colours and you can change the colour of different sections of your armour too so you don't have loads of people running around looking exactly the same. The colours finish also depends on the material used on the gear too. TOR's addition of the "match to chest" was a step forward but this is so much better. Once you've identified a dye and used it, either as a dropped "unidentified dye" which you double click to see what it is or one you've bought off the trade post, that colour is permanently added to that characters dye collection and you can use it as many times as you like. Love it.

Here's my current look using "Midnight Ice" and "Pitch":
In PvE I've mostly used dual-wielding daggers and an axe and horn as my secondary but for WvW I've swapped the latter 2 for a staff for its AoE use and the great range it has.

So yeah I'm still enjoying the game, I just wish lots more of us were playing it and on one server is all. Even more so with it being F2P and where grouping would have been absolutely perfect for us in a game like this like I was hoping TOR would have been, but in reality couldn't have been more solo focused heh..
Said so on IRC a couple of days ago but this is the first time since I've been here (in like... 9 years) that I've played an MMO at launch where I haven't been flying the SSX(C) banner as it were. Still a great bunch of guys we're playing it with don't get me wrong, a lot of which are old buddies from the WoW:EU days which are all incredibly active players too, just as much as I am infact and some even more. I know others here have gone off to play on other servers and with other guilds before today even when we've had an active SSX guild up and running and that's cool but I've never had any interest in doing that myself so this has been quite strange tbh... the only guilds I've been a part of in nearly a decade have been Shattered Star ones. I've wanted it that way. Since I've usually been one to get deeply involved in the groups I've been part of in the past it's because I've wanted to help build this place, keep it active and get people playing together. Something which just can't be done when you're playing under a different roof unless you're doing something underhanded like poaching people. Maybe it's silly of me but this did depress me I won't lie.

Meh.. enough of that. There will be other games we can form groups in to benefit this place I'm sure, like the guys playing MWO.
Infact I already bought a Firefall founders pack to join BD, Anny and co and the potential group BD will probably have for us there. - Speaking of which. I meant to ask you on IRC yesterday, Anny, when to my surprise I learnt that you hadn't bought any of those yet. If you still intend on playing the game what is it you've been waiting on exactly?. Sale has finished too so I dunno if you were looking for another price drop or something but the wait will have ended up costing you more now rather than less as the prices are back to what they were. Was only a weekend offer. Shame cos those seemed pretty great deals to me for the amount you get both ingame and out whilst it being their way of letting people put their hands in their pockets and show their support. Go buy one before they're no longer available mate as once they're gone, they're gone! <3 ;)

Also!. Lots more of my GW2 screenies here btw. Can't remember whether I've linked it above somewhere :thumb:
Anyone got any of their own pics to share? ^^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:58 am

M.Steiner
Don't know why I haven't thought about doing panoramic shots before but I had them in mind for something else I've been doing and thought I'd give them a try in GW2. Did a few yesterday and I think they came out quite well if I do say so myself!

Click to enlarge btw. The scaled down pics above don't do them justice :thumb:

Return to “General Discussions”