Oculus Rift pre-orders

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Oculus Rift pre-orders

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:17 pm

M.Steiner
Are any of you expecting the Oculus Rift to go up for pre-order during CES this week and if so, are you planning to pre-order one? :)

Me? I'm expecting it to and seriously considering it but it will probably depend on the price methinks. The Vive looks mighty tempting too but I don't game from my living room (like a lot of console gamers for example) so don't really have the space to take full advantage of the Vive and a play-area. I'm thinking the Rift may be more suitable for just a seated experience and I'm guessing cheaper too. QD has also piqued my interest in EVE: Valkyrie too and that ships with the rift so... does look pretty sweet even to someone who doesn't generally play those kinda games lol (Star Citizen was the first).

Or maybe some of you think VR is just another gimmick and will never take off?
Personally, VR is the kinda future-tech I've been imagining for years and can't wait to finally arrive. As long as it isn't going to cost a bomb I want in on that day one :D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Oculus Rift Pre-orders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:15 pm

M.Steiner
Speak of the devil; Pre-orders open this Wed at 8am Pacific (which should be 4pm for those in the UK, 5pm EU)
https://www1.oculus.com/blog/oculus-rif ... january-6/
:thumb:

Re: Oculus Rift pre-orders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 pm

M.Steiner
One day to go!

If you're not sure if your system is ready for the Rift, you can run the Fire Strike 1.1 benchmark with the 3DMark demo (on Steam) to check:
benchmark.jpg
benchmark.jpg (196.43 KiB) Viewed 13197 times
reddit.jpg
reddit.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 13197 times
:thumb:

[Edit]
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/1458224?ref=backer_project_update wrote:As a small token of our appreciation for your support, all Kickstarter backers who pledged for a Rift development kit will get a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift! And like all Rift pre-order purchasers, you’ll receive a bundled copy of Lucky’s Tale and EVE: Valkyrie.

To claim your free Rift, fill out the survey you’ll receive from Kickstarter before February 1, 2016 and provide a shipping address that is located in one of the 20 countries Rift is launching in. For those who don’t live in one of those 20 countries, we’re working on an alternative, and you can let us know your preference in the form.
Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Not overly convinced VR is for me, even if it is very impressive tech. Definitely not until I have my own place though!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:40 pm

NF
Arbiter
I had a DK1 (non Kickstarter unfortunately) and I'll definitely be grabbing this though probably not tomorrow as January is a terrible month, financially, with Xmas and my daughters birthday... As a result I might be on the second wave.. :(
NF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:04 pm

M.Steiner
If it helps:
tweets.jpg
tweets.jpg (125.76 KiB) Viewed 13158 times
Surprised actually, I expected us to have to pay some of it up front or at least a tiny deposit. This is just the same as an Amazon pre-order in that case. Pre-order, no deposit, can cancel anytime, don't get charged until it ships. DK1 backers have until Feb 1st to fill our their survey so it looks like they'll be taking money in Feb/March. We'll find out in 3hrs!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:36 pm

NF
Arbiter
Thanks for that - ordered but on second wave with the June delivery.
NF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:41 am

M.Steiner
4 of us have pre-ordered in that case;

BD - Is either March or April as he was the first to pre-order on Discord, and QD & I were still having trouble getting through the checkout.
QD - April
Me - May
NF - June

PL said that some of us may get bumped up the queue after they weeded out fraudulent orders too but our order pages don't appear display that info so... not sure how we're supposed to know that except for when the time comes lol :)

Return to “General Discussions”