Monster

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Monster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:28 pm

M.Steiner
Can't see a thread dedicated to this wonderful show? What a shame. At least some of you have seen the light and have it listed as a recommendation ;)
It has been nearly a year since I saw Monster but I feel it deserves a thread to get more peoples attention hehe.
Kenzou Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon in Germany, had it all: incredible skill at his work, a rich and beautiful fiancee, and a promising career at his hospital. However, after becoming disenchanted by hospital politics, he chose to save the life of a young boy who got shot in the head over the life of the mayor. As a result he lost the support of the hospital director, as well as his position in the hospital and his fiance. A short time later, the hospital director and the doctors that replaced him were murdered, and once again he was catapulted back onto the top. But as the chief suspect of the murders, Tenma did not get a easy life. As a matter of fact, it seems that the boy he saved was much more than he had appeared to be... Now to clear his name and to correct his past mistake, Tenma must get to the bottom of these and other murders, and investigate the truth of the Monster who is behind all of this.
Not going to delve any further into the story or characters other than quoting that synopsis as like a good Hitchcock film that would spoil the suspense and intrigue and ruin the experience for you. It's a mystery drama so the little you know about both the better.
I consider myself to have seen a relatively broad range of anime shows & movies so far ( obviously not as much as some) and this here show is as close to perfection as they come. Aside from a few exceptions like GITS but there aren't many which come close.

First and foremost this is a mature show which requires patience, don't give up on it and don't be put off by the 74 episodes. If you're used to watching shows based at a younger audience which are more actiony and OTT and you prefer those then perhaps this isn't best suited for you. However for those who like a more believable adult series which is a bit deeper and thought provoking then have patience with it and you'll be rewarded with one of the best anime shows you will ever see. Honestly I don't think I'm exaggerating either. Monster not only lives up to the praise it receives and blows most other shows away but is exceptional on every level. Hell, even the supporting characters are incredibly fascinating and fleshed out better than some main characters in other shows. Grimmer being just one example (don't go reading character bio).

Needless to say I'd consider Monster a must watch. Masterpiece :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Monster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:28 pm

SSX-Ava
Watched it a couple of months ago and it was fantastic. 10 out of 10 easily

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Monster is next on my list after I finish Baccano. I'll update in (probably) a couple of months when I've finished it :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:39 am

Fenavian
Monster was a very deep experience for me. I found it quite disturbing at times. The character development was superb I felt, especially in the latter half of the anime.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:09 am

Kon
Far and away the greatest anime I have seen to date, and certainly one of my favorite shows in general. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys quality storytelling. None of the charactes are shallow, and you can find yourself feeling for all of them. I'm not even a fan of the mystery genre, but I was glued to this series. Most people seem to think it runs quite slow, as there is not a lot of riveting action, so be prepared for that. However, it is definitely worth it.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Cyma
Finally started to watch it yesterday... Really good anime ! I ended out going to bed way way later than usual since i was so absorbed into it lol

Just want to go back home and watch more :D
Huh?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Kon
I still feel that the plot is hard to top, but I dropped this to a 9/10 on my list. There's just not enough character development for me to give it a 10. I'm not saying there was none at all, but most characters were fairly stock.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:35 pm

M.Steiner
Don't know if we have many manga readers here but:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/viz-media-to-release-ranma-anime-on-bd/dvd wrote:Viz Media also announced that it will re-release Naoki Urasawa's Monster manga in a new edition. Monster: The Perfect Edition volume 1 will debut in July 2014 for US$19.99. The new oversized omnibus edition will bundle two volumes of the manga in each volume. New volumes will be available every three months. The company previously released the 18-volume series between 2006-2008.
Vol. 1: Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.com
Out now (released this week)

Vol. 2: Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.com
Pre-order

Vol. 3: Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.com
Pre-order

Vol. 4: Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.com
Pre-order
Never read any manga before but I'm going to start collecting these methinks! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

M.Steiner
Volume 1 of the Perfect Edition arrived ^^
ImageImage
Really, really nice :D
Not gonna jump into this straight away since each volume is spread out over 3 months but I'm super excited to get started on these. Tis not colour all the way through btw, just a few pages here and there.

I decided to get Urasawa's "Pluto" whilst I was at it. Will be starting this as soon as I've finished reading the Death Note manga!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Monster was never hugely my thing, but that collection looks very very nice mate :)

Know you were a huge fan, so hope you enjoy it when you get to it!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm

M.Steiner
Out of all the (314 according to MAL) anime I have seen and of all different genres, very few have ever come close to topping Monster for me. The Kenshin OVA is up there as well as a couple of others like Gankutsuou & Haibane Renmei (and ofc the GitS series, Durarara etc are all fantastic too) but Monster really was something special imo, and a show which clearly demonstrates what the medium is capable of. A true masterpiece.
Really wish you could legit buy the entire anime series (you can in Australia but they're region 4 DVDs) as I'd have grabbed that in a heartbeat. Looking forward to having the manga in my collection though, should be a good read :D

Return to “Anime”