Summer 2011 : Recommendations

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Summer 2011 : Recommendations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 pm

M.Steiner
Lots of great looking shows again starting very very soon!. These are what I'll be watching;
(A chart for this season can be viewed here.)
  • Appleseed XIII (Production I.G & Jinnis Animation Studios) [6th July] <- This is a new adaption so you don't need to have seen the original OVA and 2 movies. That being said all 3 are worth watching, they're just not as good as the GITS series imo.
  • No. 6 (Bones | noitaminA slot) [7th July]
  • Usagi Drop (Production I.G | noitaminA slot) [7th July]
  • Kamisama Dolls (Brains Base) [5th July]
  • Kamisama no Memochou (J.C. Staff) [2nd July]
  • Blood-C (Production I.G) [7th July] <- Shouldn't need to have seen Blood+ or The Last Vampire movie though I have seen the latter already. A good watch but nothing spectacular.
  • -Roberta's Blood Trail (Final episode of the Black Lagoon OVA) [22nd June] <- These OVA's have been badass but the first and second barrage are a must watch.
  • -Third Season of Natsume Yuujinchou (Brains Base | Director of Baccano!, Durarara!! and Jigoku Shoujo) [4th July] <- First 2 seasons were brilliant and ones I would highly recommend. I watched them recently just so I could follow this as it airs.
  • -Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira (10th anniversary OVA. Ep1) [21st July] <- The Higurashi series is also one I would recommend if you're looking for a mystery/horror thriller (and supposedly miles better than Umineko, of which I still need to see). Hoping this OVA isn't just fanservice but we'll see...
  • **Kokurikozaka Kara (Studio Ghibli | Goro Miyazaki) <- Cinema airing so it'll be a while before we can see this one..
Which shows will you guys be picking up? :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Summer 2011 : Recommendations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll probably pick up Appleseed XIII, Blood-C, No. 6 and Sacred Seven.

Looking forward to Blood-C most of all by quite a way. That show looks really good :)

You ARE watching a lot MS. Hope you don't plan to try any marathonning alongside those? Lol.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:37 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:You ARE watching a lot MS. Hope you don't plan to try any marathonning alongside those? Lol.
True lol, though it's not much more than I'm currently watching really. It'll just be the initial overlap of shows from this season which may be a little too much, will see how I go on hehe.
I'll most likely watch an old show along side them too but chances are I won't be marathoning them as fast as I have in the past. Going quite slowly with Last Exile atm.

Natsume S3 is the series I'm most looking forward to personally but I'd say the summer season looks even more promising than the spring one did. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 pm

BlackDove
I ran the first two of Kamisama no Memochou.

It's... we'll see.

Could be something good, if they play their cards right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

M.Steiner
I was assuming the first ep of that must have been an extended premiere special or something as it still seems to be classed as episode 1 rather than ep1 & 2 back to back. Whatever the case though I decided to add it to my schedule as well. :thumb:
Watched it yesterday and there's definitely a Durarara vibe going on there in parts, though not all the way through. I wasn't going to watch this originally but figured whilst I *am* watching a lot, it's not like adding an extra 23 minutes of anime to my schedule once a week is going to do any harm really. Not when I'm so used to watching multiple tv shows which usually run for 40mins - 1hr each. If it turns out to be great then all is good. If not it has at least added to my anime experience and broadened my list some more!
Will see how it goes. Could be good as you say. :)

I wasn't going to watch Kamisama Dolls either until I saw it was from Brains Base. Omori isn't behind it sadly (he directed the best Brains Base shows) but I figured it was worth a look. At least I've got the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou San from him this season. Speaking of which I'm hoping I'll be able to watch that this evening <3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Stracius
Forget blood c. I tried watching the first ep last night and had to frequently stop to reconfirm when the anime was made. Shoddy art work straight from the 80's that I just couldn't forgive - I can't watch a show if I'm too distracted by an element so terribly done that I can't focus on anything else.

I really don't know what went through their minds with that one. Either they need to hire new artists, or new producers (if the terrible drawing was on purpose).
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:40 pm

M.Steiner
Stracius wrote:Forget blood c. I tried watching the first ep last night and had to frequently stop to reconfirm when the anime was made. Shoddy art work straight from the 80's that I just couldn't forgive - I can't watch a show if I'm too distracted by an element so terribly done that I can't focus on anything else.

I really don't know what went through their minds with that one. Either they need to hire new artists, or new producers (if the terrible drawing was on purpose).
I didn't think Blood-C started until Thu as I've not seen it yet anyway hehe...perhaps they had a pre-air stream thingy like Appleseed.
and hmm :/. Maybe I'll hold off on starting this then, at least until Anny and/or BD post their thoughts too if they still watch it. Thanks for the heads up Strac.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 pm

BlackDove
Waiting on HD for Blood C.

Since the original film was done in the 80's or start of 90ies (I don't even remember anymore), the homage does make sense.

But I'll render final verdict when I see it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 am

Stracius
If it were just an 80's-style-artwork homage thing, I wouldn't have used the word shoddy. Sadly, this was not the case; I've seen amateur work with better results.

And yes, it was an online stream source.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 pm

BlackDove
I've seen the first episode, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the animation.

You must have mistaken art direction for the shitty sub-SD stream you watched.

Anyway, content wise, I'll watch a few more episodes to see if it's worth it (Blood + was a mixed bag). Saya's personality here is more appealing, as she's not just a brooding emo anymore. Anyway, it's still a monster slayer anime, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:54 pm

M.Steiner
I haven't watched Blood-C ep1 but I skipped through it just to take a look at the art work. There didn't look to be anything wrong with it quite honestly? Perhaps the stream quality played a big part in downgrading that? Either way I will hold off for now. I'll continue to acquire the eps and if it's deemed worth watching I'll either marathon it once it has finished or catch up. It wasn't one of my most anticipated so I won't be too disappointed if not.

As for the other shows. Natsume S3 aside which looks like it'll be fantastic once again, I enjoyed the first eps of No.6, Usagi Drop and Kamisama Dolls (already mentioned Kamisama no Momochou a few posts above). Kamisama Dolls was both intriguing and yet so-so in other parts. Will see how it turns out.
Usagi Drop & No.6 on the other hand (both noitamina shows) I found very promising, really great first eps imo. Neither the manga or anime are tagged as such but going from the end of ep1 of No.6 there may turn out to be some hinted shonen-ai undertones going on as it progresses but then again there may not. Tis too early to properly judge really. Some stupid people talked of dropping the show if it does just for that reason oO. Homophobes tbh, their loss. Whatever the case I thought the first ep was very good so I'll continue to watch. That has been one of my top picks leading up to this season so hopefully it'll turn out good :)

Still no idea wtf is happening with Appleseed XIII. 3rd June, 6th June, 13th June, 6th July. Still no sign lol :weird:
Any ideas/news?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:21 pm

BlackDove
6 has an interesting world. It's a bishonen anime, so obviously there's gonna be homolust there. People who can't embrace it are all the poorer for it. <censored> 'em.

We'll see how fully realized the world and the story are. That's the most important thing for me.

I do wonder what the point of Usagi is. We'll see. Good first ep.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I just watched the first episode of Blood-C and honestly I didn't see any issues with the animation, though I'm not exactly an authority on these things. The show itself....doesn't seem to be quite what I expected (though not in a hugely negative way), but it's early days yet. Will have to give it some time before I can judge it though, obviously :)

Maybe you should check out the non-streaming release Strac. Unless I'm completely missing whatever it is that looked off to you, I just couldn't see a problem with it. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more if you go back to it!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 am

Stracius
Yeah, I gave it another shot with the official release on Thursday. I found it less irksome, to say the least. I may have been a bit quick to judge based on a stream, though I'm still not altogether fond of the style. I realize that anime isn't supposed to be realistic, but - saucer-eyes aside - 1.5 meter (5 foot) legs and .5 meter (1'ish foot) torsos... G'ah. Perhaps I'm just trying to find something to not like about it.

Anyway, I found the second release more tolerable. I'll stick with it for now and see if it leaves an impression.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 pm

BlackDove
Yeah, the artistic style is out of proportion (as is the perspective), but it's certainly not the first time we've seen such artistic direction, and definitely not the last.

First one off the top of my head is Tsubasa Chronicle. Them characters were lanky and disproportionately elongated in most scenes. All the same, it was fine, you either got used to it or you didn't.

But the actual animation, there's nothing wrong with that. Design is one thing, the creative or subjective part, but animation is purely technical. Cutting corners in frames, doing stills all the time to mask the fact that time wasn't spent on actually animating transitions, etc.

I could find very little wrong with that in C.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:04 pm

M.Steiner
:D lol

Well I've seen 2 eps of each now and Natsume's Book of Friends season 3 & No.6 are my two favourites so far. <censored> the people who have or are considering dropping the latter. Anyway those two are followed by Usagi Drop & Kamisama no Memochou, then Kamisama Dolls which I need to see more of as I'm still not entirely sold on it so far. I think Usagi Drop is going to be a lovely little series, really liked the development of that this week. An emerging gem perhaps but will see. Tis early days.
My only worry with No.6 is that it's only 11 episodes by the looks of it and I already have plenty of questions. I just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as Fractale did and for them to try and cram everything in towards the end and rush it. That being said we have already had a time skip introduced in episode 2 so maybe that's nothing to worry about. (I see you haven't started last weeks No.6 yet Anny? Catch up! :p)

How is Sacred Seven btw, Anny? The whole school/action/mech setting was a big turn off for me as you can imagine so that's not a show I looked into or considered. Did think I may try it further down the road if you spoke highly of it but looking at the initial reviews for ep1 and 2 (which are ranging between 1/10 and 7/10) perhaps not?. Doesn't look promising anyway :/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:(I see you haven't started last weeks No.6 yet Anny? Catch up! :p)

How is Sacred Seven btw, Anny? The whole school/action/mech setting was a big turn off for me as you can imagine so that's not a show I looked into or considered. Did think I may try it further down the road if you spoke highly of it but looking at the initial reviews for ep1 and 2 (which are ranging between 1/10 and 7/10) perhaps not?. Doesn't look promising anyway :/
I watched the first episode of No. 6 but don't yet know whether I'm going to keep on with it. I'm planning to use episode 2 and possibly 3 as a decider. Decided to not to add it to my list just yet, as I'm so unsure of it already :blank:

The show seemed very...the first episode gave me the impression that it would be what I told you I didn't want to watch - a yaoi love story more than anything else. I mean, it's pretty ridiculous that a criminal breaks into a house and threatens someone, then an hour later they're playing around on the bed together and holding hands as if young love was in action. The protagonist's actions also seemed really ridiculous and unrealistic to me in terms of the way he was just acting like nothing was wrong when the guy broke in, and how he ended up doing things almost like they were best friends rather than having just met in a threatening situation (taking him food/drink?). As a result, I found it really hard to immerse myself in the latter half of the episode as a result. I see potential in some of the things in the show, but like I said to you the other day - I'm not really interested in watching a yaoi love story. That's what the show seemed to be suggesting it was to me from the first episode. So yeah, very undecided at present.

As for Sacred Seven, whilst I am again not too sure yet I feel a little disappointed by it so far. I enjoyed the first episode up till the climax, up to which point it was suggesting almost an Ao no Exorcist situation - a 'bad guy' turning against his own kind, etc. Then they basically cleansed the guy of all taint and make him like an air surfer with armour - naturally, that was what disappointed me somewhat. I...don't know really, honestly. As with No. 6 it has some potential, and it would be really unfair of me to judge having not watched the second episode yet. That said though, if you were to ask for my gut feeling it would be that it'll turn out to be average - simply because of the design choice they made in terms of generic characterisation.

I'll keep you updated as it progresses. For now though, considering you haven't really delved into the mecha genre too much, you're probably right to hold off. There are examples of shows out there that are already known to be very good that would be better for 'cutting your teeth on', should you have that desire :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:05 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote: I watched the first episode of No. 6 but don't yet know whether I'm going to keep on with it. I'm planning to use episode 2 and possibly 3 as a decider. Decided to not to add it to my list just yet, as I'm so unsure of it already :blank:

The show seemed very...the first episode gave me the impression that it would be what I told you I didn't want to watch - a yaoi love story more than anything else. I mean, it's pretty ridiculous that a criminal breaks into a house and threatens someone, then an hour later they're playing around on the bed together and holding hands as if young love was in action. The protagonist's actions also seemed really ridiculous and unrealistic to me in terms of the way he was just acting like nothing was wrong when the guy broke in, and how he ended up doing things almost like they were best friends rather than having just met in a threatening situation (taking him food/drink?). As a result, I found it really hard to immerse myself in the latter half of the episode as a result. I see potential in some of the things in the show, but like I said to you the other day - I'm not really interested in watching a yaoi love story. That's what the show seemed to be suggesting it was to me from the first episode. So yeah, very undecided at present.
I haven't done any extensive research on these terms or anything lol, but I *did* look them up back when I replied to that yaoi Durarara comment a while back as I wasn't sure what it meant at the time. I'm not sure what your understanding of "yaoi" is and maybe one of us is wrong but from what I gathered at the time;

"Shounen Ai" can cover romance/relationships, male bonding, cute characters. Innocent boy love really. Not always the main focus of a show and is very light stuff.
"Bishounen" - Pretty boys
"Yaoi" on the other hand is on the extreme end of the scale and can contain lots of mature sexual content, is usually the main focus throughout with little plot going on and is of the graphic/hardcore kind.

If I've got those terms right then No.6 is nowhere near to being classed as a yaoi love story and will not turn in to one either. The first 2 may be suggested in parts but it's tame stuff as I say and there's so much more going on besides. Nothing for peeps to get worked up about. Quite honestly there can be more emphasis put on this stuff in proper tv shows than anything I've seen here, they show more and there are real actors involved rather than animations too. Six Feet Under is a good example. David's life & relationships as a g.ay man (closeted for at least the entirety of the first series iirc) are one of the focuses throughout all 5 seasons. That particular content was much more mature than this and it didn't lessen it any. Still one of the best tv shows there is.
I'm not saying you're the same mate but I will say that I've found it both disappointing and surprising when reading forums to see how quickly some people are to judge and write a show off just incase it may have the odd bit of gayness implied. And it's not like they were trying to hide their reasoning either and make some other excuse up. If it really was yaoi then I could understand that some wouldn't want to watch that as from my understanding it's basically animated hardcore g.ay pr0n. Not that there's anything wrong with that ofc but sure it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea and that's fine. But since No.6 is nothing of the kind (and the main character is only 12 in ep 1 lol) I really don't see what peoples problem is tbh. Thankfully lots of others are still watching. I for one am finding it very interesting so far and it's already one of the shows I look forward to the next installment of. Embrace it as BD said and enjoy the story hehe :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:19 am

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:
Anubis wrote: I watched the first episode of No. 6 but don't yet know whether I'm going to keep on with it. I'm planning to use episode 2 and possibly 3 as a decider. Decided to not to add it to my list just yet, as I'm so unsure of it already :blank:

I haven't done any extensive research on these terms or anything lol, but I *did* look them up back when I replied to that yaoi Durarara comment a while back as I wasn't sure what it meant at the time. I'm not sure what your understanding of "yaoi" is and maybe one of us is wrong but from what I gathered at the time;

"Shounen Ai" can cover romance/relationships, male bonding, cute characters. Innocent boy love really. Not always the main focus of a show and is very light stuff.
"Bishounen" - Pretty boys
"Yaoi" on the other hand is on the extreme end of the scale and can contain lots of mature sexual content, is usually the main focus throughout with little plot going on and is of the graphic/hardcore kind.

If I've got those terms right then No.6 is nowhere near to being classed as a yaoi love story and will not turn in to one either. The first 2 may be suggested in parts but it's tame stuff as I say and there's so much more going on besides. Nothing for peeps to get worked up about. Quite honestly there can be more emphasis put on this stuff in proper tv shows than anything I've seen here, they show more and there are real actors involved rather than animations too. Six Feet Under is a good example. David's life & relationships as a g.ay man (closeted for at least the entirety of the first series iirc) are one of the focuses throughout all 5 seasons. That particular content was much more mature than this and it didn't lessen it any. Still one of the best tv shows there is.
I'm not saying you're the same mate but I will say that I've found it both disappointing and surprising when reading forums to see how quickly some people are to judge and write a show off just incase it may have the odd bit of gayness implied. And it's not like they were trying to hide their reasoning either and make some other excuse up. If it really was yaoi then I could understand that some wouldn't want to watch that as from my understanding it's basically animated hardcore g.ay pr0n. Not that there's anything wrong with that ofc but sure it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea and that's fine. But since No.6 is nothing of the kind (and the main character is only 12 in ep 1 lol) I really don't see what peoples problem is tbh. Thankfully lots of others are still watching. I for one am finding it very interesting so far and it's already one of the shows I look forward to the next installment of. Embrace it as BD said and enjoy the story hehe :)
I meant more....yeah, I'm using the term wrong I think. I'm not in any way suggesting the show will turn into graphic/hardcore/mature sexual content. But the impression I took out of the first episode was that the relationship WOULD be the focus of the show.

To clarify my position somewhat, as I said to you on IRC the other day I really wouldn't have any problem with the show if the relationship was an undertone or a subplot. But what I DON'T want to be watching is a love story between the two. That's not just because of the orientation either - if you look through my anime list you'll see I've not watched any romance shows at all, which is deliberate. Love stories when they are the sole focus of a show just don't interest me at all, which is what the first episode suggests this will be (to me at least).

The characters being so unrealistic is also a large part of my uncertainty too - it's not just the romance thing. Realistically, even if you're a 12 year old, if someone broke into your house and started choking you you wouldn't tell your parents everything was fine and then immediately be best friends/would be lovers with the aggressor. It's just...ridiculous to suggest such a thing.

I don't know. Much as with Sacred Seven, I am reluctant to judge the show based off of one episode - which is why I'm giving it another episode or two to allay my worries. I'm not disliking it because it's a homosexual pairing. I'm just bothered that it's something I don't really want to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:43 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:To clarify my position somewhat, as I said to you on IRC the other day I really wouldn't have any problem with the show if the relationship was an undertone or a subplot. But what I DON'T want to be watching is a love story between the two. That's not just because of the orientation either - if you look through my anime list you'll see I've not watched any romance shows at all, which is deliberate. Love stories when they are the sole focus of a show just don't interest me at all, which is what the first episode suggests this will be (to me at least).
The impression I've gotten from the first two eps is that their relationship/friendship (however it may develop) will be more of a subplot rather than something that'd turn into the main focus of the show or at most be used to drive it as it were. I'm only assuming as we're all watching together but their characters and the world of No.6 offer up so much to delve into that it'd be a shame not to fully explore it by solely focusing on a romance or whatever. I'm not a huge fan of the romance genre either really regardless of gender, besides the movies by Matoko Shinkai which were very good. To me No.6 looks like it'll have a nice mixture of sci-fi/mystery with a bit of BL on the sidelines. Can't see it becoming the main point of the show or turning into anything heavy but time will tell. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:15 am

Stracius
beep...
beep...
beep...
beEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*points the detector back away from Anny*eep
beep...
:lol:

No. 6 is looking the most promising. Usagi Drop is both serious and cute; I can handle that. I'm holding off thoughts, brief as they may be, about Sacred Seven (For some reason I couldn't help but to think of Mai-HiME while watching) and Kamisama Dolls. They're interesting so far, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:04 pm

M.Steiner
Did anyone decide to follow Ikoku Meiro no Crois11e by any chance? I didn't give it much attention when I looked through the charts but I didn't look into AnoHana last season until later on either. Since I originally overlooked that and it later turned out to be my favourite I'm thinking about picking this one up too lol.

[Edit] Oh wow, what a wonderful show this is. Just watched the first 3 eps back to back and I'm so glad to have spotted this and decided to give it a go. Great atmosphere to it.
Very impressed so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

M.Steiner
Well some of these are coming to a close now, or have done already.

My top 3 remain: Natsume's Book of Friends S3, Usagi Drop & No.6.
Natsume's Book of Friends series 3. Still 2 eps to go but as fantastic as always. I'd highly recommend this series (the previous 2 as well obviously) to anyone who hasn't seen it before. Takahiro is one of my favourite directors with Baccano & Durarara under his belt too. I still need to watch Jigoku Shoujo which I plan on doing very soon too... Also can't wait to see his Hotarubi no Mori e movie too - and just to note, the manga that this is adapted from is by the same woman who does the manga for Natsume. ;)

Usagi Drop was a big surprise. I always expected it to be great, I mean, out of the 10+ noitaminA shows I've seen I've only ever been disappointed with a couple. The rest have been all lived up to expectations or exceeded. I just didn't expect myself to be rating it higher than No.6 when I originally planned to watch them. Lovely little series though and a perfect ending to match imo. Would love to see another series but as it stands I was very impressed. Oh and Rin-chan is adorable.

No.6. Consistently good throughout but the ending was so-so. Felt a bit rushed to say the least but still worth watching. Anny - you really had nothing to worry about with this so if you dropped it which I'm assuming you have since it's nowhere on your list still, then that's a shame as it was still one of my top picks and was very good for the most part.

Some of these still have a couple of eps left but right now I'd rate this seasons shows as follows:

10/10: Natsume Yuujinchou San
10/10: Usagi Drop
8/10: No.6 (was a 9 but lowered it to 8 after the last ep)
8/10: Kamisama no Memochou
8/10: Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
7/10: Kamisama Dolls
6/10: Appleseed XIII
5/10: Blood-C (may go to a 4 by the end)
3/10: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira

If you haven't started the bottom 3 I honestly wouldn't bother. The shows above them are much, much better.
-Appleseed *may* improve as we're only 2/13 in but I'm far from impressed, not diggin' it so far. Watch the original OVA & movies instead for the time being if you haven't already.

-Blood-C. Taken forever to actually go anywhere, drags on, repetitive, shit execution, below average. Unfortunately for me I don't like dropping something once I've started but I've kept on with this hoping it would get better. Sadly it hasn't and I'll admit after the last couple of episodes I've found myself asking "why am I still watching this?". I will finish it since there's only 2-3 eps left but if you didn't pick it up initially don't waste your time imo. It does have some good points and I have enjoyed bits and pieces but overall it is very poor indeed. Watch one of the other shows this season has to offer instead.

-Higurashi OVA. <censored> shite. I'd still recommend the Higurashi series but skip this OVA completely, it's not relevant and is just really bad fanservice anyway. Shame but I kinda expected it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I did drop No. 6 yep, after still having no interest in it whatsoever after three episodes. Just one of those which is not for me I think.

As for Blood-C, I have to say that it continues to pique my interest. It's not an amazing show, put it's posed questions throughout that I remain curious to know the answers of, and I feel it could still turn out well if they answer them in the right way. I'll happily follow it to the end, and it's sitting at maybe a 7/10 for me at present - it certainly beats out Sacred Seven which is around a 6. Clearly though it's not for everyone - maybe I just went in hoping for something different than you :)

Great write up overall though. If I were watching more than just 2 shows from this season I'd do one myself!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:56 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I'll happily follow it to the end, and it's sitting at maybe a 7/10 for me at present - it certainly beats out Sacred Seven which is around a 6. Clearly though it's not for everyone - maybe I just went in hoping for something different than you :)
I haven't seen Blood+ but compared to Blood-C, Blood: The Last Vampire was miles better and my take on that at the time was that it was just alright, nothing more. Far from amazing. Gave that a 7/10 when I saw it so C has to be rated lower for that reason too.
Tbh I didn't give the show a thought when I saw it in the charts originally but seeing some of you guys chatting about it on IRC I thought I'd add it to my list too and see how it turned out. Perhaps I should have dropped it like BD has but no harm done :). It is however encouraging for me to see that I've generally been spot on at picking shows out which I know I'm gonna like, minus a couple. My early predictions usually turn out to be my favourites.

Return to “Anime”