Spring 2013 [March -> May]

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Spring 2013 [March -> May]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:13 am

M.Steiner
So after an absolutely appalling looking lineup for the winter season just passed (which I skipped entirely), the spring season started this month and looks much more promising I think. - Chart here.

Here's what I have my eye on.

Most definitely watching:
  • Suisei no Gargantia (Production I.G) <- For those of you who have just finished watching Psycho-Pass from Autumn (highly recommended if not), Gen Urobuchi is working on this too.
  • Aku no Hana (Zexcs) <- From the director of Mushishi, probably one of the best animes I've had the pleasure of seeing and one of the highest rated too. This could turn out to be very good. Keep your eye on this one.
  • Devil Survivor 2 (Bridge) <- Another Shin Megami Tensei adaption, the game is supposed to be pretty good so I understand. Seiji Kishi is directing again (he did the Persona 4 anime too).
Possibly watching:
  • Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru (Brains Base) <- May watch since it's Brains Base and I generally like all of their stuff.
  • Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 (Xebec / AIC) <- This does sound interesting after reading the chart above but do I want to watch this as well as Gargantia? hmm. Will have a think but I may leave this one until later as I think I'll be watching enough as it is.
All of these are due to start airing at the beginning of April according to the chart so just a couple of weeks away.

I haven't included any movies like Steins;Gate or the Higurashi one as I'm not sure if they'll have a theatre run first? I'm guessing so, in which case it'll be a while before we get to see those anyway.
On the plus side though!, the third rebuild of Evangelion movie is out on blu-ray in Japan on April 24th so there is this to look forward to. Unless of course you're one of the people waiting until all 4 movies are out, in which case it may be a while until you see that since the fourth hasn't even been given a release date for its theatrical release yet I don't think hehe.

Which shows will you guys be following this season? :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Spring 2013 [March -> May]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The ones that caught my eye were:

Railgun Season 2 - First season was good fun. Will watch this.
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 - This looks interesting.

I am, however, currently embroiled in rewatching Geass with my lovely new DVDs. Until I have therefore completed rewatching the greatest show of all time, I won't be picking anything else up. Even House is on hold ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Kon
Thanks for posting these schedules, as always. This time I actually took a look to see what was on offer. Several caught my eye.

Otona Joshi no Anime Time looks like a real standout to me. Turns out it's actually a collection of 4 short stories. The first was in 2011, but all the rest have all been released this month.
Suisei no Gargantia - I'd agree that this looks interesting. I'm hoping it focuses mostly on the experiences at sea, but I have a feeling it may easily devolve into another "Boy vs. Aliens" romp.

Aku no Hana may be worth a look, but it seems like it could be way too high on the teen angst scale for me.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 pm

M.Steiner
nps :)
I forgot to list another movie worth mentioning btw, one which has been on my ptw list for a while now: 009 Re:Cyborg. Will be released on blu-ray May 22nd.
Kenji Kamiyama :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:01 am

M.Steiner
Linked this to Anny a bit since. I considered it before when I was looking at the chart but decided on Gargantia etc instead, really good OP though.. Quite tempted to pick this one up as well now lol :sweat: (Picked it up now. Great first episode)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/16498/Shingeki_no_Kyojin

Assuming I continue to enjoy the first season of Railgun I'll start following Railgun 2 as soon as I'm done with that too. Might be a couple of eps into it as it starts airing next week.
(Probably going to get Yamato as well but for marathoning some other time rather than when it airs, can only watch so much lol)

Aku no Hana got quite a bit of hate after its first episode on friday unfortunately. Seems a lot of people gave it really low ratings and some dropped it only minutes in just because of the art oO. A bit closed minded if you ask me...
I'll be honest, the character designs looked ugly when seeing them compared to the manga ones, but the actual style of the animation and the background artwork I really quite liked personally.
I have no idea what's supposed to happen in this but from what I read before the show started, the manga is supposed to be pretty dark and disturbing in parts and really <censored> up acording to some heh. Perhaps the characters in the anime were designed with that in mind?. I dunno but I would imagine they'd make it all the more creepy tbh.
Will not be dropping it myself anyhow. Quite intrigued after the first episode to see where this is going to go :)

[Edit: Seen the first episode of Gargantia now too. Really awesome as expected.
This is going to be a memorable season I can just feel it. Some great potential here just from these 3 alone. ~ Suisei no Gargantia, Aku no Hana & Shingeki no Kyojin are the shows to beat]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:44 pm

M.Steiner
So we're 6 weeks in to some of our shows now. Is this like.. one of the best seasons in the history of anime or what? or maybe even the best?. I dunno, but I certainly haven't seen anything quite like it before in the years I have been watching anime.

Just caught up with another show which BD recently pointed out to me. It wasn't one I gave much thought to when I was originally looking at the charts but it's another good pick, Hataraku Maou-sama!. He describes it quite well:
"It's like FMA Brotherhood, however this one doesn't have a strict division of seriousness and comedy, it is comical even when it's serious".
Really funny show tbh, has had me laughing out loud several times already. It's just a 13 ep series again like some of the others so it's easy enough to catch up with if that looks like it may be of interest to you too, I marathoned the first 6 this weekend.

So I'm now watching the following:
01: Shingeki no Kyojin
02: Suisei no Gargantia
03: Aku no Hana
04: Kakumeiki Valvrave
05: Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
06: Hataraku Maou-sama!
07: Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru
08: Devil Survivor 2 The Animation
(BD is watching all but 7 & 8 too)

For what my opinion is worth: 1-3 are still the best shows of spring and shows one should definitely be watching if anything this season. This being said, this season has been so good that 4-7 are all worth picking up as well and you probably should if you can. What's an extra 23mins per show eh?. Quite frankly there are just too many good shows this season to skip over and as I was saying to BD yesterday we might as well make the most of that while it lasts. Failing this I'd recommend getting the shows you aren't going to pick up to watch during the summer season (June-August) instead to make up for that (since Summer looks like shit atm).

There is only one show on that list which I would not personally recommend picking up and that is #8, Devil Survivor 2. I am not particularly enjoying that at all, infact it's aload of rubbish to be quite honest. I will stick it through to the end since it's another short series but if it had been any longer than 13 episodes I would have dropped it already. 1-7 have been great though as I say and there is not one bad show amongst those worth passing up completely. What's also great about this season is that from the offset of previous seasons there may have been a handful of shows which looked potentially interesting to begin with and seemed like they'd be great shows but some of them would disappoint and after a few weeks in there would really only be a couple of shows really worth sticking with if you had to choose. Yet with this one they (mostly) started strong and just keep getting better each week as they progress. Needless to say this season is most excellent and I'm thoroughly enjoying it :)

/me goes to watch todays ep.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Right, enough delaying. Starting Kyojin and Gargantia tomorrow.

Bout time.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:57 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Right, enough delaying. Starting Kyojin and Gargantia tomorrow.

Bout time.
Started these yet? How goes it? :) (and yes, tis about damn time!)

Gargantia (and several others) finish next week if their episode counts on MAL & elsewhere are correct :(
Gonna really miss this season but at least we'll still have Kyojin & Railgun, plus Valvrave already confirmed for a second season in Oct.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:26 am

Padishar
Every once in a while a new show comes out and redefines the genre.
I have been really impressed with Shingeki no Kyojin :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Amazingly, I actually did finally start Kyojin! All good so far - it has a lot of potential :)

Return to “Anime”