Looking for some recommendations

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Looking for some recommendations

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:06 am

M.Steiner
for anime movies. Preferably ones which are self-contained and aren't necessarily part of a show or anything. Otherwise, movies which are linked to a series but can be watched before the series itself for example, either as a prequel or intro or whatever. Looking for movies like this rather than ones which I need to watch X amount of episodes of a series beforehand or even finish it. Will already have enough shows on the go for the time being which is the only reason I'm not looking for the latter atm but wouldn't mind some new movies to watch inbetween the shows I'll already be following.

Posting a thread for this since the recommendations thread itself is several years out of date for some peoples lists now and there's only a few of us on MAL, plus my last post in there when I was looking for some show recommendations which hadn't appeared on the forum before got ignored heh. Not looking for any particular genres really, just movies which you think are worth recommending and would rate quite highly. I would say 8/10 and above but I suppose we all have our way of grading stuff. I can have a look through them then and see which I fancy trying.

Since I've seen quite a few movies over the years I'll add a list of those below just so people aren't recommending me things I've already seen:
5 Centimeters per Second
Akira
Appleseed
Appleseed: Ex Machina
Arrietty
Aruvu Rezuru: Mechanized Fairies
Barefoot Gen
Barefoot Gen 2
Blood: The Last Vampire
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Colorful (Movie)
Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Death Billiards
Eden of The East Movie I: The King of Eden
Eden of The East Movie II: Paradise Lost
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Eve no Jikan (Movie)
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
First Squad: The Moment of Truth
Flanders no Inu (Movie)
From Up on Poppy Hill
Fullmetal Alchemist: Milos no Seinaru Hoshi
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Golgo 13: The Professional
Grave of the Fireflies
Hotarubi no Mori e
Howl's Moving Castle
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek
Kara no Kyoukai 1: Fukan Fuukei
Kara no Kyoukai 2: Satsujin Kousatsu (Part 1)
Kara no Kyoukai 3: Tsuukaku Zanryuu
Kara no Kyoukai 4: Garan no Dou
Kara no Kyoukai 5: Mujun Rasen
Kara no Kyoukai 6: Boukyaku Rokuon
Kara no Kyoukai 7: Satsujin Kousatsu (Part 2)
Kiki's Delivery Service
King of Thorn
Kino's Journey: Life Goes On
Kino's Journey: The Land of Sickness -For You-
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War
Little Norse Prince
Little Witch Academia
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
Macross 7: The Galaxy is Calling Me
Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime
Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa
Macross Plus Movie Edition
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion
Metropolis
Millennium Actress
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
Ocean Waves
Only Yesterday
Origin: Spirits of the Past
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Piano no Mori
Ponyo
Princess Mononoke
Redline
Resident Evil: Damnation
Resident Evil: Degeneration
Spirited Away
Steamboy
Summer Wars
Sword of the Stranger
Tekkon Kinkreet
The Diary of Anne Frank
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
The Sky Crawlers
The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki
Tokyo Godfathers
Trigun: Badlands Rumble
Tsumiki no Ie
Whisper of the Heart
Think that's it...

It's also worth mentioning that Film4 over here in the UK are showing 18 different Studio Ghibli movies over the course of 3 weeks starting from this Tuesday. I'm a big fan of Ghibli as I'm sure some of you are aware so I plan to record some of the ones I haven't seen yet whilst they're being shown on tv. I've recommended Anny do the same as well for a few of the classics (Fireflies, Nausicaa, Laputa, Mononoke) since he hasn't seen any of their stuff before and this would be a perfect opportunity to fix that :p
Of the 18, these are the 7 I've never seen:
Little Norse Prince [Now Seen]
Ocean Waves [Now Seen]
Only Yesterday [Now Seen]
Pom Poko
Porco Rosso
Tales from Earthsea
The Cat Returns
I know none of those will be up there with the likes of Grave of the Fireflies etc but if there's any films in that list which stand out more than the rest, just lemme know and I'll make sure I record em. Would be a good time for me to see them.

Just watched a great couple of movies this weekend too. One in particular was The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki. This is from the guy who did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time & Summer Wars, also fantastic movies if you've never seen those either. (Incidentally, TGWLTT was the first anime movie I ever saw which hadn't been recommended to me by someone else hehe). Anyhow, I would highly recommend Wolf Children, it won Animation of the Year at the Tokyo Anime Awards as well as best director, best screenplay etc too. Loved it.

So, any to recommend?! :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Looking for some recommendations

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Sorry, but I think you realise by now films aren't really my thing haha. I think I could count the number I've watched on one hand!

Hope you get some good recommendations though - know you're partial to the medium :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 am

Whizbang
Look into Fist of the North Star, Ninja Scroll, and 3x3 Eyes. The first two are movies, the second a 4-part OVA although it does seem to flow a bit like a movie. Also, Escaflowne, Patlabor 1 and 2, Space Pirate Captain Harlock: The Mystery of Arcadia.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:40 am

M.Steiner
Cheers for those, Mech. Much appreciated :thumb:
Will definitely look into getting Escaflowne and 3x3 Eyes first of all I think. Like the sound of those two in particular.
Pretty sure I've heard of Escaflowne before but definitely haven't seen it, there's a few there which I've never come across before too ^^

Also Anny. Looking at your list on MAL atm.. of the 12 movies you have listed as having watched you've actually scored 8 of them either 9 or 10 out of 10. All but 1 of those is linked to a series of course but there's bound to be lots of other movies out there which you'd enjoy and appreciate just as much I reckon, even if you're not much of a movie buff. I won't start giving you recommendations or anything (other than to still suggest you record a couple of those Ghibli classics I mentioned), but you just have to ask if you're ever looking for something new to try and are after some suggestions. I think you'd surprise yourself :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “Anime”