Fall 2013 [Sep - Nov]

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Fall 2013 [Sep - Nov]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:37 am

Kon
MS saying he wouldn't make this thread is actually what alerted me to the upcoming season.
CHART

What piqued my interest?

1. Sakasama no Patema (movie) - From Yasuhiro Yoshiura, the director of Eve no Jikan. Looks to be some sort of dystopian thing where a society of underground hermits begins to unravel due to a curious child. The official description is more interesting. I'm excited for this one, but being a movie, it might be some time before subs arrive.

2. Gingitsune - A girl who lives at a temple works with this fox-spirit-thing to relay messages between the gods and the people in her community. It seems like they go around helping people, but she's the only one who can see or interact with the fox. If it's done right, the concept seems like it has the potential to be the most interesting show of the season.

3. Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (movie) - Studio Ghibli film directed by Takahata Isao, who did Grave of the Fireflies. Based on the folk tale The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. I'm not sure about the animation, but the director is enough for me.

4. Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers (movie) - I haven't seen the first one yet, but Part 2 is upon us. I don't know what to expect from Arise, but I will certainly be watching.

5. Samurai Flamenco - A "regular" guy decides he's going to become a superhero. A cop learns the hero's secret identity. This one could either be really clever, or some stupid otaku shit. We'll see.

Valvrave season 2 will also be of interest to those who watched the first. There's also some Geass-related OVA. Not sure what that's all about, but I can't say I care.
So there you have it. There's also a few mecha and action sci-fi shows on this season, which might interest some of you. I'm a bit burned out on that sort of thing, to be honest. Gargantia was an exception, but that show really wasn't about the mechs at all.

What will you be watching this season?
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

Re: Fall 2013 [Sep - Nov]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The description for "Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio -Ars Nova-" looks somewhat interesting to me, but as far as series go there's nothing else which catches my eye :(

Movies wise, Persona 3 The Movie is a must (because the game was fantastic), and obviously I still plan to watch the Geass OVAs - though not until they're all released.

I haven't watched anime in a while now though, so I still need to catch up on all the stuff from Spring. So I guess a less appealing season isn't a bad thing for me haha :lol:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 pm

M.Steiner
OMG, Takahiro Omori!!

Every season I always make a point of looking out for his name. He is one of my all time favourite directors in anime and I love everything he touches pretty much. The guy has yet to disappoint me. I have mentioned him on here a few times in the past but to jog your memories he directed the likes of Baccano!, Durarara!!, Natsume & Hotarubi no Mori e which are among some of the best anime I have seen. I know Anny loved DRRR!! just as much as me too when he eventually gave it a try. I'd already gone through the charts for this autumn season and came away without noticing his name again, to my disappointment. That is until I saw your post, Kahn. Samurai Flamenco is his new show. Super exciting! :D
The synopsis doesn't give a lot to go on but his name is enough for me.

Here's what I've had my eye on:
DEFINITE

CONSIDERING

MOVIES
I plan on watching all 4 of the shows listed under definite, and all of the movies too but we won't get to see some of those for a while yet if they're going to the cinema first. Haven't decided which shows to pick up from the second row just yet (probably just 1 or 2 rather than all 4 of those as well), but I'm leaning mostly towards Gingitsune too which sounds quite similar to Natsume actually.
Really excited for Samurai Flamenco now with that basically coming out of nowhere for me, thanks for pointing that one out!. Hopefully it won't disappoint and tarnish his good name and success rate for me but if it is anything like his other shows this could very well be the pick of the season.
Fingers crossed ^^
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Hmmm, I may keep an eye on Samurai Flamenco then - or at least, keep an eye on what you all think of it haha - as Durarara was indeed one of my favourite anime of all time, and Baccano wasn't bad either!

Really hope that one pans out - thanks for pointing it out! I don't look at producers normally :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:54 am

Kon
Gingitsune is off to a fantastic start! I hope it can keep this level of quality throughout the projected 21 episodes.

Smaurai Flamenco starts on Friday. Thanks for the info, MS. I'm now more optimistic about the show's prospects! Commie will be subbing it, if you care about that sort of thing. Vivid is doing Gingitsune.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:04 pm

M.Steiner
Have enjoyed the first eps for both Coppelion & Gingitsune. Gingitsune has a way to go to reach the heights of Natsume but they're both off to a good start so far I think, I look forward to seeing how those progress!. I decided to pass on Kyoukai no Kanata & Kill la Kill from my second row list but still considering Non Non Biyori which airs later today. (Samurai Flamenco, Valvrave season 2 & Pupa are yet to air)
I have seen a lot of people raving about Kill La Kill already though it should be noted. It is, however, supposed to be very similar to Gurren Lagann which I've seen many people compare it to already (same director), but I never really liked the look of that show if I'm honest. Needless to say I decided to skip that for now but I might give it a try later sometime, maybe sooner if some of you start singing its praises too. FLCL is listed under the similar animes too it seems (though I have only seen people directly compare it to GL) which I did see a long time ago but I didn't like that so much tbh lol. Shows like that you either love or hate I guess. Anyway, if any of you were a fan of Gurren Lagann it seems Kill La Kill is something you should definitely be picking up this season from all accounts. Some people really loved the first episode.

Can't wait for Samaurai Flamenco. I just hope he doesn't disappoint now I've bigged him up so much heh. Almost everything else I've seen of his has been gold though so fingers crossed, have high hopes and expectations for his new show.
Durarara, Natsume, Baccano & Hotarubi no Mori e all of which he directed got a 10 from me and I try not to give those out too easily, Kuragehime was pretty great too. Haibane Renmei was another show he worked on as well which was absolutely beautiful and still sits within my top 5. So yeah, the guy has some really fantastic work behind him imo. Hearing his name is enough to excite me.
Just started watching Jigoku Shoujo this weekend actually but I've only seen 3 episodes of that so far. Will be watching more later...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:14 am

M.Steiner
Yes?

Goto-san! I really screwed up!
I found a spare suit in a different colour, so I wanted to try it out.

Ah, I see...
You're a complete idiot!

I told some middle schoolers to go home.
And now, they're targeting me.

I told you to stop playing vigilante!
Well? What's the situation?

Right now, I'm running from them...
:D

Only one episode so far but I like what I'm seeing. First ep was actually really funny, hope they can keep that up as well as the interactions between the pair of them heh.
MAL has it down as 22 episodes too which is great to see since the other shows I've picked up are all short ones at 12-13, also nice that it is his show that's the longest I've picked up, being one of my fav anime directors and all. Will it turn out to be as good as Durarara, Natsume or Baccano?. Too early to say ofc but I really enjoyed the first ep. There's definitely potential there and it's already my fav of the shows this season basing it on first episodes alone, though I could be a little biased on the latter perhaps.
Looking forward to next weeks anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Kon
Yeah, I really enjoyed that first episode of Flamenco. I'll definitely be watching this all the way through. I have to admit that it's my first anime from this guy, but if I really enjoy this show then I'll probably go back and check out some others. I already have Haibane Renmei and Hotarubi no Mori e on my To Watch list.

Return to “Anime”