The Wind Rises

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

The Wind Rises

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Kon
I saw the subtitled version in theaters this week. I thought the beginning was great, but it went downhill as the film progressed. The political commentary became increasingly muted as the characters got more and more involved with the military. By the end of the film, it almost seems to be excusing Jiro's role in making the war even deadlier. This is very surprising considering the events that have been unfolding in Japan recently, and Miyazaki's own views on the current government's plan for remilitarization.

Indeed, when I read that interview last summer, I thought that he chose Jiro as a subject precisely so that he could respond to current events. Parts of the film speak to this, but unfortunately, a big part of that message seems to have been left on the cutting room floor. Indeed, there's been some poor responses to this film in Korea because it's easy to see the film as writing off the horrible nature of Imperial Japan.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think? I know there are some big Ghibli fans here, so I'd love to hear your opinions.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

Re: The Wind Rises

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:28 pm

M.Steiner
I haven't seen The Wind Rises just yet but I will be doing as soon as it releases on blu-ray and subs become available. Last I checked that was sometime this summer iirc.
Shame to hear about your experience/disappointment with the film though. I do consider myself to be a big Ghibli fan but whilst I have still liked and enjoyed some of their more recent productions, I do tend to prefer their earlier stuff by a long way. Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke etc. Hopefully won't be too long before I get to see The Wind Rises too and can see how I feel about it myself.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “Anime”