Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 pm

M.Steiner
The last of my manga pick-ups for this month (and probably for a while), thought I'd share!
A millennium has passed since "Seven Days of Fire," an apocalyptic war that almost wiped out human civilization. Since then, the earth is covered with an ever-growing "Sea of Corruption," a vast forest of fungi that secretes poisonous miasma and invasive spores, along with large and deadly insects inhabit within. In order to fight for more habitable lands unpolluted by the Sea of Corruption, the Kingdom of Torumekia has declared war against the Dorok Empire. Nausicaä, princess and heir of a small city-state named "Valley of the Wind" which pledged alliance with Torumekia, is now forced to join Torumekian to invade Dorok Empire. This war will change her life and the fate of human race forever.

This was the very first Miyazaki movie I saw back when I started watching anime and has remained one of my all-time favourites ever since (not just from him but anime in general). I'm sure you've all seen the movie before and probably several times if you're a Ghibli/Miyazaki fan (and if you haven't, wtf?. Go watch!) but have any of you ever read the manga?. It apparently goes much, much deeper than the movie did and covers much more ground as well, as great and powerful as the movie itself was. Saw the manga being discussed just recently and discovered this stunning deluxe boxset countaining two big hardcover books featuring several colour pages and a little poster too. Knew I must have it before it potentially goes out of print again, beautifully made.
Still got the Pluto manga to read as well as Monster (when some more volumes have been released) so I won't be getting to this just yet but from all the praise I've read of the manga I should be in for a treat!

Also I got this brand new for £24 which was a bloody steal imo. (RRP is £45 which is what Amazon themselves are selling it for)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Very nice indeed! That last picture especially looks beautiful!

You really getting into manga now then I take it? :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 pm

M.Steiner
Slowly hehe.
I've had the Death Note manga for a while now (got this lovely set as a Christmas gift a few years back) but I wanted to leave a nice enough gap between reading that and seeing the anime, so as not to blur the two. Been a good few years since I saw that now so I decided to go and grab the manga and finally give that a go. Been loving that just as much as I did the series the first time around and has been a real good page turner, so I started looking around a bit which was when the idea of checking the Monster manga out came to mind too, as well as exploring some of his other works like Pluto which haven't been adapted to anime. As for Nausicaa... I didn't even know this manga boxset existed until I was reading about it earlier on in the week and hearing so much praise about it. It has always been my favourite film from him so as soon as I saw that I wanted it and figured I'd add that to my list haha.

Manga never really appealed to me before (as western comics never have either) which is why I've always kept to anime, but when reading one it doesn't feel that much different from anime tbh. Just non-animated and in print form. So yeah, slowly getting into it now. Going to mainly focus on Urasawa's works to start with (so Monster and Pluto first of all), and assuming I enjoy those I'll look at getting his 20th Century Boys at Christmas or something (which appears to be the 4th highest rated manga on MAL too).
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “Anime”