Another point of view?

Our US players can be found on the Mannoroth PVP server!

Moderators: Global Moderators, WoW =US= Moderators

As a group, which direction will keep your current enjoyment with the group up?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:17 pm

Hardcore Raiding and trying to keep up with the latest dungeons as quickly as possible.
11%
Laid back raiding with a desire to see new content but no rush to get there.
89%
No more raiding
No votes

Total votes: 19

Another point of view?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Magdalena
From the time I was placed in an officer/moderator position here I have taken my role in trying to work for the good of our group very seriously. I care very much for each and every friend I have in this group, and couldn't imagine a better group of people to play with.

Lately however, it seems from the voices that speak out I am either failing miserably or others in the group no longer see the same future for our group. I am unsure if this is a few speaking for the masses and I'm out of line or just a few speaking loudly and often at this point, so rather than guessing while most remain silent, I'm asking you all to speak up, namely those that haven't spoken up before, but I'm leaving the vote up to all.

I will gladly step down and hand my officer torch off to those with the same visions as the majority if that is what needs to be done. I don't feel I could serve this group properly if there is a desire to go hardcore on raiding. At the same time, if the majority does not wish this to happen I don't find it fair to keep bringing up topics to change our group to the ways and mannerisms of a hardcore raiding guild.

In the end, the only proper manner I see in going about this is to have the group as a whole choose which path we want to take.

I am asking since this only affects the players of Mannoroth that only those playing WoW-Mannoroth vote on this topic. Others are of course welcome to put their thoughts down on the matter, but I'm trying to get the views of our group.

If you aren't on WoW-Mannoroth with us and still feel you must vote on this, please at least respect us enough to let us know you did so and which direction it was and why.

Please no flames in here or jabs at each other, we know this is a touchy subject to broach guys. I know there are people adamently on both sides of the fence, and am asking both to keep the peace.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Achara
I am concerned about this poll.

Your post seems to say that if people want to go to hardcore raiding that you intend to step down. This really confuses the issue. What if someone really wants more emphasis on raiding but doesn't want you to step down? There would be no vote they are comfortable with.

Also, want is meant by "hardcore raiding"? Are you talking about a demanding raid schedule that requires attendance at 90% of raids by the players main with a certain spec, gear type, and consumables? I do think very many people would vote yes to that. Are you talking about something in between what we currently do and that extreme? Maybe more would have an opinion on that.

I've had a lot of survey research education and experience. This poll is not really going to help you get at the opinions of the group.

Maybe it would be better to ask if people support putting guidelines in place for progression type raiding. Then you could ask people to suggest what types of guidelines and how stringently they should be enforced.

There is a very fine line between casual rading with progression and hardcore raiding. It will take time, discussion, and several revisitations of these topics to find a compromise that makes the majority happy.

~ Catherine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Inquisitor
Do you want this in Members to prevent any non-Member votes?

I did not vote, btw :)

Though, it doesn;t seem "hardcore" (whatever it actually means) and SSX mix well by definition and if Euro is any indication. Food for thought.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:20 pm

Magdalena
Definitions:

Hardcore Raiding: 90% Attendance required, DKP Looting system for Main Toons, Close Systematic and Precise on goals. Raid Spec requirements, consumable requirements, and gear requirements all the way around.

Casual Raiding: Open Raiding Environment, try to put forth effort to get further but no requirements on spec, gear, consumables, toons, attendance. Loose looting system, casual environment.

Trying for anywhere in between is going to lose everybody and drive our officers mad. This group I know was intended for the latter of the two. Myself along with all of the other members at that time voted that was the direction they wanted. Some opinions may have changed or we may have not been clear enough on this focus in the recruiting process, whichever is the case we have been receiving requests weekly from a small populous for rulings that would put us in the direction of the first.

My statement on stepping down is a warning that if you want it, be prepared to possibly be managing it. Its not fair to expect others to manage and bring forth something they don't believe in. Many had opportunities to be a part of a hardcore raiding guild way back then, I know I did. I didn't want to be part of one then, and I don't want to be part of one now. The bottom line is people wanting hardcore aren't going to be happy in a casual guild, people wanting casual aren't going to be happy in a hardcore guild, and both are going to be miserable and squabbling in a guild somewhere in between. So, we need to figure out which we have more of and keep on that direction. It's going to leave out part of us if we have both. One side or the other is going to have to look elsewhere for what they want out of a guild. At least if we figure it out and get the line drawn in the sand now, maybe those that don't agree can keep the friendships they've built over the very long period of time some of us have been together.

I'd rather step out of the guild than lose those in it as friends over a difference in play styles in a game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:45 pm

QuantumDelta
90% attendance wtf :O
Most of the hardcore raiding guilds on outland have 60-80% attend. reqs :I

Hardcore raiding, for this guild?
NOW just before TBC?
People voting for that have to REALLY think to themselves what they're doing here.
Two Years into the game, working on the games first raid instance (!) that's 24 months old.
They want to go hardcore?
Hardcore means Naxxramas and AQ40, it means farming Flask of Supreme Spell Power / Flask of the Titans EVERY WEEK.
It means Mongoose / Arcane Elixirs for *every raid* mana oils for *every raid*.
It means No "I will bring my alt today hmmm" it means you will sign up to a raid and you will be there on that toon and the raid leader is 100% in charge and what they say 100% goes - including raid attendance on toons (You have a priest? That's what you're playing, is the common one).

This guild, even if the people want it, is far from in a position to 'hardcore raid'.
You can find a balance, but do you really wanna end up like KOA?
I find it absolutely stupid that they have retarded raiding systems (that don't even make that much sense) for a guild that can't even get into BWL on their own, and this guild would just end up the same.
Lax the current 'rules' and 'guidelines' in regards to raids and kick the people who $)^%* bitch about loot EVERY NIGHT.

/Goes to cool off >_<

Edit;

This is one PALADIN Preq list for Patchwerk for attempt(s).
This is The FIRST Boss in Naxx Abom Wing.

Alot of major mana pots (might have to spam them every cd)
Mageblood potions
Mana oils (pref the best ones :p )
nightfin soup

I'm going to use (once we have the fight down)

Flask of distilled wisdom
Brilliant mana oil
Major mana pots
Mageblood
Nightfin soup
Demonic runes/dark runes
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:15 pm

Zepol
Im kinda in both i mean i come from playing very Hardcore games
Tribes 2
CounterStrike : Source
Battle Field2
Battle Field2142
Unreal Tournament
Ghost Recon
Enemy Territory
FEAR
Doom
and many many more

But what is diffrent about WoW is that you can grab that same intensity in a Raid and on the side be able to relax and have fun, I mean not for anything but the Rag fight was about a week ago but people are still talking about it like if it happenned a couple of hours ago.

Granted that we dont have the numbers to do the fights, but the obsticle of that is that we have each other and are willing to give it a try, there is nothing wrong with trying new things, maybe will succeed maybe we wont.
I recall somebody saying right after we beat Rag "Wow my heart is beating so hard" THAT! is what a great game is all about and to be able to enjoy it with your best friends makes it so much better. Nothing is better in life then sitting down with the ones you love and enjoying a bear. Being able to accomplish goals with each other and just have fun.

Keep in mind that WoW is just a game
but SSX is a open bar with all of your friends in it
So just play it and love it :thumb:

Ill be up for election if anybody wants to vote for me
(RIP-You will never be forgotten)Zepol lvl 70 Lock- Afflication and Destruction.
(Reborn)Zepol lvl 80 Mage - Arcane (Akama)
Ive lvl 80 Shamman - Resto/Elemental(Akama)
Faeith lvl 80 DeathKnight - Frost Tank/Blood DPS(Akama)
Never give up before attempting it first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:23 pm

Achara
Well, I haven't voted and I don't plan too. I don't think the only options are to go "hardcore" or remain exactly the same.

Flexability and discussion are good things in my book. Every once a while rules need to be revisited, especially since this isn't a static group or a static game.

Yes, there was a loot issue with the hunters a few weeks ago and yes, there was one with the mages last weekend. Both situations seemed to have been dealt with. The current rules have been clarified in the loot sheet thread. We need to move on without the hurt feelings.

~ Catherine

EDIT: I can't believe people are taking the 90% attendence thing seriously. :eek: I meant that to be a rediculous example.
Last edited by Achara on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:25 pm

Bladesinger
I voted for the 2nd option with some qualifications.

I don't think SSX is or ever will be hardcore as defined by Catherine's qualifications above.

I do however think we will have to change things slightly is we choose to emphasize raid progression more than we are now. This doesn't mean full tilt hardcore raiding by any stretch of the imagination. Increasing emphasis on raiding a little doesn't mean we have to go fully one way. There are middle grounds to consider, discuss, and explore.

I agree with Catherine. We need to think about how much emphasis we want to put on raids and then discuss what that emphasis will entail in terms of player effort and short-term changes to our usual routine.

We all know how I think an increased emphasis on raiding would best be accomplished so I won't repeat it here. :)
Shattered Star since 1998

Gallarien of Lorien, Hunter/Woodsman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Rlyan
What mage dispute are we talking about? I know Callania won the belt, and Weili won the crown. Siddious and Callania are the only two who rolled on the belt. Siddious didn't roll on the crown I know, because she didn't realize she could win two set pieces in one night. Weili and Spencer are the only two who rolled on the crown to my knowledge, and Spencer doesn't seem like the type to cause a dispute. Being a recent convert to the mage class, I am curious what the isssue is.
Chris Clarke
ckclarke@vt.edu

Where would you be if it weren't for all the druids' help in World War III?!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 pm

Idaten
I choose the second option.

When I was in KOA, I watched SSX run MC on a few occasions. The thing I liked the most about SSX was how much fun everyone was having in vent and in chat during the raid. KOA had the time, spec, and toon requirements you're describing, and that was fine because that was their focus. But what they lacked was social camaraderie. Becoming a hardcore raiding guild takes more commitment to grinding and less to having fun (unless grinding's your thing.) It also means less chatting during raids so that you don't "waste time." For me, that = less fun, and personally, I'd hate to see that happen. I'm not saying you can't have both, just that it would be a shame to lose what we have.

The second thing that comes to mind is this:
Even with a casual raiding guild, the ugly truth is that the guild still needs to be successful. WoW tends to measure success in loot and instances. If a guild doesn't make progress people can quickly become frustrated and memories are short. I know not everyone feels this way, and if you're happy just clearing trash with your friends, hats off to you.

That said, a casual guild needs a few people at its core that can help drive it to progress. I think we have that now and that our officers do it well. (Take your praise and run!)

It seems perfectly reasonable to me for a casual guild to encourage players to farm the things or gear that will help the guild go forward. Its like saying "Here is what you can do to make us better." This is provided that it remains encouragement and is neither required nor expected of the guildies. Peoples expectations and available time differ greatly.

There's no answer that will please everyone, consensus is rare. I do think it's possible to have a happy medium. But given the choice of nothing, what we have now, or hardcore raiding, for me, it's easy.

Ida-billa-ten :sleep:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:06 am

sakuragi
fyi i didn't vote...i just wanna say something...

i thought there was a meeting on looting before...like if u have a problem with looting speak up..if u don't speak up, don't complain later....or something like that..i wasn't at the actual meeting..but i could swear everyone discussed this problem already....

if anyone has a problem with loots, they should speak up before it is given out....

why is it every weekend, there is a problem with loots? why are there arguements when people decide they want to use their percentage on something.....

if i am correct, and i know i am....the loots system is based of people not toons...so if let's say i want to use my percentage on my rogue instead of my mage, it's my choice (using myself as example only)....so if i raid and get attendance and lower my percentage with my mage, there should be no problems if i want to roll on a piece i want my rogue to have....cause that's the whole point of having the percentage system....

you can't blame me for making to raids when some people don't...it just means i am lowering my percentage....so there shouldn't be any arguments or resentment if i win....

anyways, it seems like every weekend someone is complaining about a piece they feel they deserve....well, if u deserve it and lost on a roll, it's tough luck....but if u don't roll or don't have a low enough percentage, that's ur own fault not someone elses.....

as for the poll of hardcore raiding or not...the poll really isn't about hardcore raiding.....think about it....ssx have been trying to do mc the last yr or so...people like myself, jack, mel, weili, chris (hokie), sean, liz, jerimie and more, have been to mc so much that it's getting boring (i am not saying that they said that but i am saying that)....and to try to finish mc in one nite so u guys can have a shot and seeing how bwl is for sat isn't too much to ask......

you have to think, do u really want to do mc til BC comes out?? yea ur having fun hanging out and doing mc but at the same time, most of the main ssx are bored with mc...just like everyone is bored with ubrs/e. and w strat......they just want to see if they can do some damage in BWL and that's it....

BWL isn't that hard as long as u get the practice in....just like mc, with all the practice that we have had, it's starting to get easy....so i am sure u guys can go into BWL and have some fun...

anyways, just my 2 cents...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:10 am

JonisRahl
This guild and these people mean more to me than any game.....Friends and family have made us so very strong to this point it is the why and the how to why we play this game it is not that it is the ultimate game out there...its the people that make it special the experinces that make you laugh and cry,cheer and yell profanities"oops did i say that out loud"
What ever we do we do it together friends and family are what matters not Raids
Live!
Love!
SSX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:22 pm

Jophiel
JonisRahl wrote:This guild and these people mean more to me than any game.....Friends and family have made us so very strong to this point it is the why and the how to why we play this game it is not that it is the ultimate game out there...its the people that make it special the experinces that make you laugh and cry,cheer and yell profanities"oops did i say that out loud"
What ever we do we do it together friends and family are what matters not Raids
Live!
Love!
SSX
Werd.

If you want hardcore. Come to one of my pug raids. I'll slap you into to shape, noobie!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:01 pm

Ismona
Alright, so you want to discuss hardcore Raiding.

Alright, here is how it works. You haver a set raid schedual that involves every night of the week. All members are required to raid at 70% and higher or you will be placed on suspension and not able to collect loot even if you raid. Officers will have to look at the lists and see who is raiding the least and "retire" them from the guild for lack of participation. All members are required to contribute to the guild bank materials needed for specific potions and materials for FR gear...etc.

Sound like fun to you ?

Been there, done that, not doing it again. This is a game to me and I have no intention of going back down that road again.

Casual ?

I did vote for this...simply because I have been in the hardcore section and I really don't want to run this way again.

I would jsut wait for the expansion when 5 and 10 man epic raids come out and the 40 man raids dissapear. It will make the officers jobs alot easier.
'May the gods stand between you and harm in all the dark places that you must walk"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:13 pm

QuantumDelta
Jophiel wrote:
Werd.

If you want hardcore. Come to one of my pug raids. I'll slap you into to shape, noobie!
Your pugs really aint hardcore :PP
but i like 'em this way ;P
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:32 pm

Drongnel
Well i know i'm EU and not US but hopefully you won't mind if i make a little comment here...

Well back around this time last year in the EU Group we were raiding about 6 days out of 7, doing BWL, AQ40 and MC and it was hectic, we had no attendance requirements (i've always really disagreed with that sort of thing personally, i do not think a game should force you not to have a life for fear of not being able to play with your friends) we had a DKP system which seemed pretty fair and i don't think caused us much trouble except for the poor mods who had to do all the updating.

Now this was fun, the sense of achivement was great but it got really wearing after a while, even without the attendance requirements it still felt like you did not want to let the raid down by being away (this got worse once i started filling in for mipross as hunter class leader) but if the guildies were feeling a little burn it was nothing compared to what the poor mods must have been feeling, this was one of the big and main things which caused to original combustions and problems with the EU group.

We were trying to do too much, not taking the time to just chill and enjoy ourselves it got more and more hectic and alot of people myself included had a bit of a burn out and eventually we had a total disband and eventual re-form as a casual guild, i would hate to have make the same mistakes we made, having the group tear itself to pieces after we had been through so much together was some of the worst and saddest days of my life.
'I Thought what i'd do is i'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes'

Drongnel 60 Dorf hunter (Miner/Engineer)
Ank 38 Gnome mage (Engineer/Tailor)
Dinkl 38 Gnome rogue (Skinner/Leatherworker)
Tamburlaine 22 Dorf Pally (Miner/Blacksmith)
Fayed 20 Nelf Drood (Enchanter/Skinner)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Jophiel
QuantumDelta wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Werd.

That "noobie" was directed to you QD....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Jophiel
QuantumDelta wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Werd.

That "noobie" was directed to you QD.... :)

Return to “=US= World of Warcraft”