Getting started with EvE

Moderators: EvE Moderators, Global Moderators

Getting started with EvE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Fentia
Hey EvE guys, recently i've been quite fascinated with EvE Online, and i want to start playing, what do i need to know, where are you guys playing and in general how do i get started? I am from Denmark (CET/GMT+1) and i have my finals in the coming month or two, so i will not be that active in the beginning :) Thanks

/Fen

Re: Getting started with EvE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:11 pm

SL33PY
Hey Fentia,

You can start out as you wish. The corp itself is located in 0.0 sec space, which means lawless. We are part of a coalition called "Space Monkeys Alliance" or just SMA. We're pretty heavy on the US TZ, but there are plenty of Euro guys too. You can already read up some EVE info and decide on what type of game you want EVE to be for you. I have multiple accounts active, both in and out of corp.

If you so wish you can start out of corp with a PvE toon before moving on to PvP. Or maybe you like to mine. Build stuff. Research stuff. Haul stuff... what not. Mostly people like the PvP the most and with our alliance we have tons of PvP.

I suggest you talk to Winbrian, since Ozany has real life stuff going on, he manages the corp and he's better placed to give you some info imo.

So most dudes in SS-X are also US based from east to west coast, with some added EU flavor to bring some style :) I'm from Belgium and I guess we'll be playing together from time to time.

Also imo, RL comes first. From time to time I'm also less active or almost not active because of real life stuff. Stress at work, work on the house, second child incoming (for real), so those things come first, you don't have to excuse yourself for having finals. I'm sure you'll catch up during the summer holidays :D :D

Anyways, nice to hear from you, I hope this post was a bit what you were looking for, if not, just ask away :):)

-SL33PY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Fentia
I am installing it right now, and i'm psyched! It will probably take me some time to get used to, but i will try as hard as possible :-) Just one more question, what are the requirements to join SMA and is there anything specific you need that i could start out as (proffession/class if that exists etc.) Thanks :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 pm

NewportBox
As for professions and classes, they don't exist in Eve Online in the normal sense. Everybody starts off in a similar situation, and what they do from that point is completely up to the pilot.

There are four races to choose from, and their skills vary by race. (Click here!)

Basically once you're in the game, you choose what you'd like to fly first, and then check on it's information tab to see the prerequisites to fly what you've chosen.

(For example, in order to fly a basic hauling ship you would need to train your race's Industrial skill to the prerequisite level needed to fly it. If you'd like to expand your cargo bay, you'd need to look at the Cargo Bay Extender's pre-required skills and then train to achieve the desired result.)

Eve Online has been referred to as "The Ultimate Sandbox", and the quote is *very* true. This game has so much depth to it, you'll be learning new stuff for quite some time to come :)

As for requirements for joining SSX (more like requirements for joining any corporation within our alliance), you should go ahead and create your character first, get a feel for flying your ship.. that kinda deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you're somewhat familiar (any SSX member will be more than glad to help with any questions) you'll need to submit your full API Key to Jameswin. This is easiest done by going to http://support.eveonline.com/api and logging into your account at the page. Once you're logged in click "Create API Key" - you'll find it on the left side, towards the top.

This will bring you to a screen with a bunch of check marks, don't worry - it's more overwhelming to look at than to do :)

You're going to check *every* box there. (James may tell you some aren't needed, in which case follow his instructions on which ones to leave out)

Now, on the left side (in the center of the page) you'll see "Name" with a blank space next to it. You can type anything you want in here. This is for your own organizational purposes, so I recommend that you name it "SS-X API KEY", or something similiar. Trust me, once you're completely addicted to Eve (and it won't take long lol) you'll end up making other API Keys, for other websites / etc.. So it's good to be able to tell this one apart from any future ones :)

Ignore "Verification Code" for now, we'll get to that soon.

Next, you'll see "Character". Leave that at it's default option, which should be "All".

After that you'll see "Type". Leave this at it's default as well, which should be "Character".

You'll see "Access Mask" below the type. Don't worry about this one, it's the same situation as the Verification Code.. nothing to worry about.

Lastly you'll see "Expires:" - there's a check box directly underneath that says "No Expiry" - please check this box.

Almost there! Double check to make sure all of the boxes are checked, and then hit "Submit".

You'll now come to a page that lists your different API Keys. Since you've only got one, it should be right there at the top.

Go ahead and log into Eve at this point. You're going to want to send an Eve Mail to Jameswin with the following information from the webpage with your API Key on it:

- ID
- Verification Code

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thus ends my extremely long post. Feel free to reply with any questions / comments / concerns / Newport you're a douche! :lol:

Welcome to Our "Special" Happy Place,
Newport

(Newportbox Khamsi / Repudiated)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Wow, that is one long helpful post.

+1 cookie for general awesomeness Newport :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am

Fentia
Thanks for all the info Newport! I've tried some of the classes and decided on the Amarr, so now i'm just following the tutorial again :-) I have created the API Key, what is Jameswin's in-game name? Thanks for all the support, i plan on being addicted soon ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:16 pm

NewportBox
You're welcome for the post, any time :)

Jameswin's name on Eve is "Jameswin" (lol)

If you need help finding him (in game), on the menu (left side of your screen by default) you'll see an icon that looks like an hourglass that's on top of little people.

When you hover over it you should see "People And Places". Click there.

This will bring open a window that has a search box at the top, type in "Jameswin" and hit enter, or click search.

The results will come up in a smaller window, with him at the top. I would recommend that it's him. To do this right click on his name and click "Show Info". If you see "Shattered Star Exiles" next to his name, that's him.

Go ahead and close the window showing the information about him and right click his name in the last again, but this time click "Send Message".

This will bring up the message window :)

Newport

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 pm

SL33PY
I'd also recommend to completing all tutorials (at least once), they give some cash and some extra skillbooks. Always nice to get those for free. The loot itself isn't that much worth, but if you manage to bring it to jita i'll reprocess it, sell it and give you the cash, unless you want to keep the minerals of course :)

Also after that you can move out to do sisters of eve missions (level 1), if you need anything, let us know and we probable will know how to hook you up. Reason why sisters of eve is not important right now ;) we'll explain later.

Also do not be afraid of the eve learning curve, it is a bit challenging, but the rewards are there as well.

http://smmobl.files.wordpress.com/2011/ ... gcurve.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:23 pm

NewportBox
By doing the tutorials you also gain some Frigates that you can do whatever you'd like with, also a nice bonus there. The Sisters of Eve ARC (Storyline Missions) are really nice, and have a pretty good payout for a beginning pilot, but know that they will literally send you across the universe and back several times :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Fentia
Well currently i am doing the tutorials (on my 2nd agent now) i got 2 new ships, but sold them and got a better one cheap off the market :P Having a blast atm! I still don't know what the sisters of eve and such are, but i will find out in time :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 pm

NewportBox
Good to hear you're having fun :)

The Sisters of Eve ARC will be revealed to you shortly, you'll be contacted by the person originating their storyline sometime during the "advanced" tutorials. (The "advanced" tutorials are the ones that you're referred to after completing a few of the very first missions you'll get, the ones that have Aura as the mission agent)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Fentia
Todays status report, still enjoying myself, stuck on the last mission of my second last trainer, lost 2 Coercers and a big chunk of cash, so tomorrow i will be farming ISK and practice before engaging the pirate leader again :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Thunderbird
They sure have changed the tutorial since I went through it, what, 6 years ago?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:48 pm

SL33PY
Thunderbird wrote:They sure have changed the tutorial since I went through it, what, 6 years ago?
Captain Obvious to the resque :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:27 am

Whizbang
I remember when there wasn't a tutorial. You made your character, got a ship, and off ye went.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 am

Stracius
Get off my lawn!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:48 am

NewportBox