Fornost but No Fireworks!

The Free People of Middle Earth need you in the fight against the Dark Lord Sauron and his minions. Will you answer the call and join the forces of good in the War of the Ring?

Moderators: Global Moderators, LOTRO Moderators

Fornost but No Fireworks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 pm

Syro
With the Great Star still shining in the heavens, Sidewinder, Eli, Mariwen, Faernath, Gandalor, and Syro journeyed deep into the heart of Fornost. They faced many trolls, goblins, and vile spirits with courage, honor, and determination. And they finally tasted victory after a fourth night of fighting!

Weary from their long and arduous battle, Sidewinder exclaimed, What? Thats it. No fireworks? I was expecting fireworks! So if anyone is heading to Michel Delving soon, please pick up some fireworks for SW!

It was a lot of fun, and a few of the bosses dropped legendary items!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Inquisitor
Nice :)
No signature

Fornost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:25 am

El Oso
It was a pretty successful run, too. We knocked out all the high level quests except for "Free the Fallen," which looks like it's spread out over half the instance.

In related news,

I opened a support ticket with the GMs, inquiring about the bind on acquire items we encountered while in the Fornost instance. Before opening the ticket, I checked the help pages for "bound items," which say the following: "You will be warned before successfully acquiring or equipping bound on pickup/bound on use items." So... where was the warning? I asked about this and requested that the item be moved from my inventory to another fellowship member's... Their response was-

"I would like to tell you that game feature is working as intended. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. However, currently, LotRO In-game Support is not able to grant, replace, or restore any in-game content or quest progression status that may have been affected by any means. I would like to suggest you , please put this as suggestion by visiting Forums. Thank you for contacting. Have fun in the fantasy world of Lord of the Rings: Shadows of Angmar."

I'll hit the forums to see if I can get an answer from the devs as to which scenario is the intended one...

For those of you who weren't there with us, we all rolled greed on a loot item & it was bind on acquire without any warning!

Still mad that I won the greed roll on that pocket item,
Faernath

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:55 am

firedancer
is it just me, or why i am completely confused by your complain.
if all roll greed on an item, i would find it very annoying having to click again for a warning. so from reading your post it seems to work like i
would like the game to work.

the issue that ppl start looting while in combat is very annoying, and
causes ppl to make a choice before beeing able to read the stats. but
that is in my opinion a problem of the players and not the game design.
(it is a very bad habit to loot while still in combat, and unfortunately everyone is doing it --including myself :() and in any case you can allways change the looting rule of your fellowship.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:18 pm

Syro
He is referring to a Legendary item that would have better served another person in the group. I did not notice that the Legendary items were BOA instead of BOE, but I should have known better!

Ideally, the first earring should have gone to Sidewinder and the pocket item to Mariwen or Eli. Since they were BOA, we had no way to give the items to the appropriate people after the fact. Harsh lesson learned. Even an accidental Need or Greed roll can be costly.

The reason for BOA Legendary items from bosses is understandable: a player must be in the group or raid to acquire the item. Otherwise, we would see legendary boss items (without level reqs) being sold in AH or sent to alts for an unfair advantage.

The systems works but we were not prepared for the system. We will be next time!

We probably need to Pass on all Legendary items so people can decide who should get it or who should roll. Once it is decided who should receive the item, then they would loot the corpse. (I have not tested this "Everyone Pass" solution, but I will tonight to see if a person can loot the mob or if the item magically goes to the person who initiated the loot.)

It would be nice if BOA Legendary items had a "warning" on a roll. Firedancer, how many Legendary items do you roll on in a day that it would cause you to be annoyed if a warning message popped up for Legendary BOA items? It's far more annoying that there is/was no warning on the roll after a long hard battle to defeat a major boss. Faernath has a valid concern/issue. I did not see it as an idle complaint.

Complaint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:20 pm

El Oso
Could just be you... maybe not... Different things bother different people; this bothers me.

If my op was confusing, my issue is that I won an item that we all rolled greed on in the heat of the moment (I don't particularly care for the need/greed mechanic but I won't go into that now) and I have no use for it. This item could better serve another member of the party & if we'd known it was bind on acquire before encountering it, we would have acted accordingly.

My complaint is that the help texts indicate that there is a warning before obtaining a bind on acquire item. There was no warning. I will ask the developers is which of those is intended. I've never browsed the forums before so I haven't made my way over there yet to ask...

I'm not saying that I'm necessarily expecting another window to pop up as you suggested, but they say there is a warning before picking up bound items & there wasn't one. I don't care what shape or form that would take, but if it did come down to that, in the interests of the fellowship and of fairness, I'd rather deal with another popup than potentially loot some bound item that someone else can use... It wouldn't cause too many extra clicks, as there were 3 legendary drops in that instance, which was hours of play time...

It could be that all legendary items are bind on acquire. I don't know if this is the case. If it is, then it was lack of knowledge since none of us had seen one yet...

I haven't used any other looting methods, what would you suggest we use over the default one?
Last edited by El Oso on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Everyone pass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:28 pm

El Oso
Syro wrote:We probably need to Pass on all Legendary items so people can decide who should get it or who should roll. Once it is decided who should receive the item, then they would loot the corpse.
This would be a great solution!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:06 pm

firedancer
hm, so if it is a boss fight, turn on masterloot. so only one person can loot the boss and then distribute it to the one which need it. (the fellowship leader has many settings how to handle loot). think this is the option, you really looking for.

and i think the developpers are right there is a warning: when you have for example loot for freei would expect there is a warning. they just think, if you see an item displayed and you have to roll, that should be enough.

so i completely understand you that you are annoyed. but my recommendation is to learn a bit more about the different methods the game allows you to distribute loot, and all your problems will be solved.

Loot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:31 pm

El Oso
Your suggestion is to let one person loot and distribute the item. How can this happen with a bind-on-acquire item?
:smack:

The issue that I have is with the disparity between what Turbine says will happen in their help system and what is actually implemented. There IS a disparity. A roll button doesn't tell me it's bind-on-acquire. I get roll buttons on medium hides.

The only potential indicator is the background color of the item. There are bind-on-equip [light blue] items. I've seen them in /trade posts. Those are not listed as being unique and are being offered up for trade, so the color coding is not a viable indicant...

The roll system DOES work as intended, but there is no warning of whether an item is bind-on-acquire or not. This is separate from the general use of rolling & my opinion is that this would be helpful for the few items that are both rollable and bind-on-acquire.

I don't wish to argue about this, so I am done with this thread as of now.
Last edited by El Oso on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:00 pm

firedancer
hm, i definitely did not want to sound harsh, but i found it a bit
unfair to criticise the game maker for a "mistake" which i dont see to be there.

but please read the following hint, it may help you:

- the fellowhip leader can turn on different types of looting systems.
the need for greed is just the standard one, but your fellowship can actually choose which one they want. it seems you are unaware of these possibilities.

so the options are:

- free for all: what ever you loot belongs to you, no rolling for any item.

- round robin with roll: the standard option whihc you know

- round robin with masterlooter: it will display the item like in standard, but no one can roll for it, but the masterlooter distributes it. (he does not pick it first up, so id does work with boe items).

so i really hope this info helps you, and it is not supposed to be an argument.

Master loot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:08 pm

El Oso
Thank you for the tip!

That's another thing we can try, if the fellowship leader can remember to change the loot rule before/after encountering boss-type opponents. Syro's suggestion to not roll on the item & see if it's left on the corpse may be a better option, as the leader won't have to remember to switch the loot rules back/forth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:10 pm

sidewinder
I want fireworks and beer :D
Then we can all jump off the tower drunk :p

Fireworks and beer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 pm

El Oso
I've got your fireworks buddy,
you bring the beer!
When are we going back to Fornost?

Return to “Lord of the Rings”