Book 10: The City of the Kings

The Free People of Middle Earth need you in the fight against the Dark Lord Sauron and his minions. Will you answer the call and join the forces of good in the War of the Ring?

Moderators: Global Moderators, LOTRO Moderators

Book 10: The City of the Kings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Ozgafen
The following is an announcement I found on www.theonering.net. Great news!

TURBINE and Codemasters Online gaming unveil BOOK 10: THE City of the kings FOR THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE

Major Content Update to Hit MMO to be Available on August 20th

WESTWOOD, MA August 13, 2007 - Turbine, Inc. and Codemasters Online Gaming announced the details of the second free content update for subscribers to The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar. Book 10: The City of the Kings continues the epic story, adds over 100 new quests, implements significant enhancements to monster play and introduces the Reputation and Bartering systems. Book 10: The City of the Kings will be available to subscribers of The Lord of the Rings Online on August 20, 2007.

Our first update significantly expanded the world of Middle-earth with new story arcs, quests, and exciting new kinds of gameplay, said Jeffrey Anderson, president and CEO of Turbine, Inc. For Book 10 we continue the epic story and introduce a ton of new content, but we also are introducing legendary play, a completely new way to experience monster play that enables you to play as a powerful Ranger of the North or a terrible Troll.

Beginning August 20th, heroes can join the battle in Book 10: The City of the Kings, the second of many free updates to The Lord of the Rings Online.

NEW FEATURES:

The Epic Continues! Amarthiel, introduced in Book 9: Shores of Evendim, has reclaimed the palantir of Carn Dm and is now seeking to make Annminas her new seat of power as she searches for her lost ring of power: Narchuil. The Dnedain stands against her as the Rangers mount a last, desperate attempt to wrest the palantir from Amarthiel. Before she can find Narchuil, a most dangerous opportunity presents itself that may give the Dnedain the advantage they need to blind the eye of Angmar.

Legendary Play Once in the Ettenmoors, players can experience monster play in a completely new way by spending their Destiny Points to play as a powerful Ranger of the North or a terrible Troll to offer a strategic advantage to their allies in the battle for control of the Ettenmoors.

Critter Play Friendly barnyard animals love squawking around the landscape, exploring chicken coops, hunting for worms and more! Players can now explore Middle-earth from a different and sometimes unexpected viewpoint as a chicken, the first of many new playable critters that will be added to the game in the future.

New Reputation and Bartering Systems Book 10 introduces the Reputation and Bartering systems. The Reputation system enables players to earn positive and negative standing with different races and groups in Middle-earth based on both monster kills and quest completions. The Bartering system allows players to trade trophies earned in battle for rewards such as armor sets or mounts.

Over 100 New Quests The story continues for players as they aid the Fellowship and encounter new adventures, new dungeons and over a dozen new monsters.

Enhanced User Interface The games UI is now customizable. In addition to being able to skin your UI with a unique look, Book 10 will enable players to access sliders in their Options panel to scale the size of individual elements of the UI to their liking.

We are working very hard to deliver the most content and best experiences to our subscribers and it is extremely satisfying to see such a large number of players embracing the game and joining us in Middle-earth, added Anderson. We intend to continue our long established reputation of delivering frequent and substantial updates to our players with the release of Book 11 this Fall which will offer players the opportunity to live in their very own house in Middle-earth!

The Lord of the Rings Online delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the quaint surroundings of the Shire to Angmar, the vile kingdom of the Witch-king, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before. The Lord of the Rings Online is now available for purchase at major retailers across North America and Europe. For more information about The Lord of the Rings Online, please visit www.lotro.com or www.lotro-erope.com.
Ozgafen Level 50 Champion (GM Tailor, GM Prospector & GM Forrester)
Warin Level 49 Guardian (GM Metalsmith, GM Prospector & Tailor)
Runescryer Level 15 Lore Master (GM Scholar, GM Farmer, Weaponsmith)
Nicknack Level 12 Burgler (GM Jeweller, GM Cook, GM Prospector)
Jhona Level 6 Bank/AH Mule. I mean Hunter (what ever woodcrafters do)

Re: Book 10: The City of the Kings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:14 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
Ozgafen wrote:
Critter Play Friendly barnyard animals love squawking around the landscape, exploring chicken coops, hunting for worms and more! Players can now explore Middle-earth from a different and sometimes unexpected viewpoint as a chicken, the first of many new playable critters that will be added to the game in the future.
wow, turbine is really listening to the people. i've always said i'd like to role-play a chicken (those of you that know me know i'm not kidding) and it looks like now i'm going to get my chance. we can only hope that in future updates, chickens will be granted psionic powers.
"you see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. where can you go from there? where?"
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:51 pm

Ozgafen
Not just that, read on! This is from one of my favorite gaming review sites, www.ign.com

E3 2007: The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar - Book X Preview

Want to learn about the Cloak of the Cluck? Yeah, you know you do.

July 12, 2007 - "You paid a lot of money for this game," a Turbine rep says as a demo of The Lord of the Rings Online: Book X loads, "so you deserve a lot of content." And a lot of new content is on the way.

The warm response to June's free Book IX: Shores of Evendim expansion was half attributed to all the new content, but also because of the fact that the expansion was absolutely free. "We're planning on releasing new expansions bi-monthly," a Turbine confirmed rep in response to my queries pertaining to how often players could expect free releases.

The primary new addition to Shadows of Angmar by way of Book X is called Session Play. Similar to Monster Play, characters can take on the role of certain creatures such as trolls or chickens--yes, chickens--for a limited period of time for certain quests. The troll creature has a wide array of area-of-effect spells, many of which send creatures flying across the screen as a result of the creature's mighty blows.

The aforementioned role of a chicken can be assumed for as long as six hours, and if certain quests conditions are met while playing as the chicken, players will receive the soon-to-be-revered Cloak of the Cluck, which sprays dozens of feathers in all directions every time players emit a cluck.

Following in Evindim's well-received footsteps, Book X will expand the game world by 10%, according to a Turbine rep. Additionally, over 100 new quests will be added, bringing the overall total to well over 1500. Considering that these expansion packs come rather quickly and are absolutely free, other popular MMOs will have to quite a bit to compete.

The Lord of the Rings Online Book X should be available some time in August.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:07 am

El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:53 pm

Inquisitor
Wow, alot of changes to Hunter.
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Jeredoc
One of the best bits I read: "Gath Forthnir now has a Milestone"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:08 pm

Ardrake
Well servers are now down for the patch and Book 10!

Roheryn is up, any of you have toons started on the test servers ?
" He who aims at nothing hits it with remarkable success ! "

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm

Syro
Bye bye gold farmers. No more level 7 miners in TS. Yay!

Level Challenge Ratings: All landscape and dungeons in the game now have a level challenge rating associated with them. If you enter a location that you do not meet the challenge rating for, the radar and billboard feedback for that area will be red. Players that are significantly below the challenge rating for an area or dungeon will now find monsters in those locations much more aggressive. Players that are significantly below the challenge rating for an area or dungeon will now be sent to their Map Home location upon defeat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 pm

Jeredoc
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I did the pre-patch last night so the install over my lunch break was pretty quick. I didn't get to play much but noticed changes right away.

Getting XP just by logging in was awesome! Some quests were removed from my log and I had to get them again. Make sure you read the General output when you log in so you don't miss anything like the removed quests. Item graphics were also changed some good, some bad.

The hunter animations seemed way better than before. I don't think attacks are faster but the character definitely feels more responsive which is nice.

BUGS!
Everything except the front door of Elrond's house is invisible to me? I first noticed it because Frodo was floating in mid air. As I expected, toggled abilities stayed on when mounted even the hunter speed although I didn't seem to run any faster than normal. But to my surprise when I was knocked off my pony I did not loose the hunter speed and was able to quickly outrun the aggro. I then tested it on foot and still did not loose the hunter speed. I did stop and fight once but I forgot to check to see if the hunter speed was still applied. It would be cool if that was not a bug and the speed only went away when I explicitly engaged into battle, but I'm not hopeful.

Can't wait to play some more!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:27 pm

LOTRO_Lee
WOW - the specs on the crafted items (armor and weapons) just went way up!!! I put on the breastplate and leggings I had bought due to the fact they now blow away my quest reward items!!!

Lee :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:33 pm

Inquisitor
How does the "login and get xp" work?
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Jeredoc
Inquisitor wrote:How does the "login and get xp" work?
They introduced some new traits that I already qualified for, or had enough kills to receive. Just make sure you read the General output when you log in. It will have all the info there on earning and/or quest changes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 pm

Ozgafen
WOOT!

From the patch notes-
Class Quest trophies from Carn Dum and Urugarth are now a 100% drop from the appropriate bosses.

Well, WOOT! for those of us who have NOT finished our class quests!

Now Syro cant laugh at me for expecting this to have happened with the Flawless Scale drop from Lhugrien. HaHa! :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:14 pm

Inquisitor
They introduced some new traits that I already qualified for, or had enough kills to receive. Just make sure you read the General output when you log in. It will have all the info there on earning and/or quest changes.
Sweeeeeet.
No signature

Return to “Lord of the Rings”