The State of the Kinship

The Free People of Middle Earth need you in the fight against the Dark Lord Sauron and his minions. Will you answer the call and join the forces of good in the War of the Ring?

Moderators: Global Moderators, LOTRO Moderators

The State of the Kinship

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Eli
Hi Everyone:

It appears that the number of active members in our kinship has dwindled to only a few. I am well aware that a number of you are playing AOC, entranced by boobies and gore at the moment. However, I believe we need to take a poll and determine if SSX will be rekindled in the near future, especially with the release of the expansion.

Re: The State of the Kinship

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:21 pm

El Oso
Eli wrote:It appears that the number of active members in our kinship has dwindled to only a few. I am well aware that a number of you are playing AOC, entranced by boobies and gore at the moment. However, I believe we need to take a poll and determine if SSX will be rekindled in the near future, especially with the release of the expansion.
I have been playing a lot of AOC lately (mmm, boobies and gore) and as expected my time in Lotro will be limited- I'm not *leaving* Lotro, but I do expect to be splitting my play time over the next few months- this will be decidedly skewed towards AOC, where I am having a blast. I will definitely be in game in Lotro here and there & my play time will increase with the expansion, if not earlier...

To leave SSX-Lotro with in-game leadership & representation, my intent was to switch leadership to Ozzy but he has been unreachable for the past week. Ozzy are you with us?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Stracius
I believe he said he was going to be unavailable for a few days.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:28 am

Wulfsmark
I find this really sad... is there any way to incorporate AOC and Lotro together... I mean the kin thing... I haven't gotten to AOC yet.. but may in the near future... Anyway just an idea...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:47 am

El Oso
Wulfsmark wrote:I find this really sad... is there any way to incorporate AOC and Lotro together... I mean the kin thing... I haven't gotten to AOC yet.. but may in the near future... Anyway just an idea...
Most peeps have already either left lotro or left the kin... :shake:

I think numbers will look better by the time Moria comes out but it is going to be slow for a while.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Ardith
In the meantime if you guys group with any cool kinless people you could always introduce them to SSX!

It's also nice, especially in slumps, to be in touch with other kinships that are experiencing the same thing. I'm sure many kinships in LOTRO have been affected by the release of AoC. Try sending Chris (or another friend for that matter) a /tell to see if his kinship needs to fill any spots for book/instance runs. Advertising in /l is always an option too, I've met a lot of good friends from LOTRO that way.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 pm

El Oso
To get back on topic, here Eli: Yes I will be back by the expansion.

Current count:
Eli
Mari
Al
Faer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Syro
We have 4 people from SSX playing LOTRO at the moment?

Can we set up a Ventrillo meeting for all the interested parties?

I am not in favor of transfering the kin over to Ozzy simply to keep SSX-LOTRO on life support.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Stracius
I've no plans on letting anything go down the tubes while I'm here. Kin recruitment is on our minds, but I also don't wish to go the route of broadcasting recruitment messages. I think several of the others still with us can agree with that.

Kin numbers may be down, but I noticed a larger than usual amount of new characters. On chatting with them, many seem to be first time players, and /advice channel is being put to quite active use. There doesn't seem to be too much of an actual player shortage, if they all stick around and keep the game that is - lol.

There are few other active players as well, though they don't frequent the forums.

Rentor (well, he does)
Nymia
Cyowen

Vent's not an option for me atm as I currently have no mic. Is irc an option for you all?
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:18 am

El Oso
Syro wrote:We have 4 people from SSX playing LOTRO at the moment?

Can we set up a Ventrillo meeting for all the interested parties?

I am not in favor of transfering the kin over to Ozzy simply to keep SSX-LOTRO on life support.
The list I posted was following Eli's request for people to raise their hands and state they'll be around. I started it with the people who had already chimed in. My intent was for more people to /sign it. By my count SSX has 6 regulars atm and 17 individuals total...

Eli's OP talked about rekindling the kinship by the time the expansion comes out. That's 5 months. The kinship's numbers have never been static for that long, I can't see new people NOT joining before then. A leadership transfer will not be life-support until some later date- the in-game kinship has 17 members with varying time spent in game & in most cases alts at various levels. As long as there are regulars, I think active in-game leadership is a must. The transfer is essential because I will not be in game 4+ hours a day like I have been since I took over leadership...

I agree with Al, I think recruitment should be handled as it has in the past: by adventuring with new peeps. I like the fact that SSX has never spammed chat looking for members. That's not the type of group I'd want to be in. IMO it's quality, not quantity, that's important!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 am

Orinol
As I am infrequent at best, I cannot provide much insight into the matter. However, I do agree/feel that SSX is about the quality of the player, not the quantity in the kin. I do know that I will be around so long as the game continues to offer new content, which it seems they do at a great rate. I'm sure we will see both a return of old players and the entrance of new as we get closed to the release of Moria. I think the key now is to continue our reputation as a solid group of people, and I think the numbers will take care of themselves :thumb:
"Forecast for tomorrow: A few sprinkles of genius with a chance of DOOM!"

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 am

El Oso
Stracius wrote:Vent's not an option for me atm as I currently have no mic. Is irc an option for you all?
I had to take our vent server down due to server issues. I can hop in IRC anytime, but with the state of everyone's schedules & the fact that not everyone who's interested is currently in-game, personally I think the forums are our best bet!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm

Syro
If we are sticking to the forums, then I will be my usual direct self (haha)...

Faernath, are you going to lead the kin when the expansion comes out?

Eli, are you willing to accept leadership of the kin since you have a genuine interest in it atm?

Stracius??? How about you? You know SSX well! You willing to take the leadership role now and possibly into the future expansion?

Let's get the convo rolling ;)

Rick

Here are my plans (won't speak for Wulfy but we are playing together):

I am currently playing EQ2 with Wulfy. We will probably play for at least another month (maybe longer).

After EQ2 bores us to tears, Wulfy and I will play AoC.

If AoC is a bummer, I could see a return to LOTRO in 5-6 months (maybe). My return to LOTRO would be short. I can't imagine the game holding my interest long enough to stick around for 6 months but it might.

Somewhere in the middle of all of that... I have console games to play and life to live.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 pm

El Oso
Syro wrote:Faernath, are you going to lead the kin when the expansion comes out?

Eli, are you willing to accept leadership of the kin since you have a genuine interest in it atm?

Stracius??? How about you? You know SSX well! You willing to take the leadership role now and possibly into the future expansion?
Ozzy was voted in as successor, he has been active in game and he is next in line. If he isn't going to be on regularly or isn't interested it's a whole different matter and he will speak for that, but this what the active members decided on so please let's not circumvent that.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Syro
Since this impacts more than the few peeps playing right now or who voted on the successor, I would suggest that the LOTRO folks invite all interested stakeholders (active or inactive) to join you in the decision. If active folks are not going to invite the in-actives, then F... it. No point in even trying. You "active" Ringers can figure it out. I am not copping an attitude, but I won't beat my head against a wall. I will step away from the convo and kindly leave it to you.
Last edited by Syro on Thu May 29, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:57 pm

Stracius
That's not to say that non-active members have no say. I'm inclined to agree with Faernath on that point, however. Members (active in the game or otherwise) did make a choice regarding that particular point already.

Members are members always, regardless of their gaming status. Even those of us who have never touched LotRO have a valid concern and voice for what goes on here.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Syro
Stracius wrote:That's not to say that non-active members have no say. I'm inclined to agree with Faernath on that point, however. Members (active in the game or otherwise) did make a choice regarding that particular point already.
I am politely exiting the discussion. Best wishes. :cool:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Stracius
I said inclined :p . That doesn't make it a closed matter.

If you think we made the wrong choice, please say so and indicate why. No decisions are final and without reconsideration.

This /is/ the invite for all stakeholders to express their concerns. These are the forums, and what better place than this thread?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:13 pm

El Oso
Stracius wrote:That's not to say that non-active members have no say. I'm inclined to agree with Faernath on that point, however. Members (active in the game or otherwise) did make a choice regarding that particular point already.
I'm not saying at all that any SSX member's input or opinion (especially you Rick!) won't be weighed on in-game issues, whether that person is in-game right now or not, but this was already discussed and decided on last month & isn't an open issue. It is, of course, open to discussion but the kin's decision from last month shouldn't be ignored without cause.

I also am not saying that Eli or Al wouldn't make a great kin leader, in fact I believe either would be a great choice and the option may yet present itself if Ozzy, who is every bit as capable, is unavailable.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 pm

El Oso
Syro wrote:Faernath, are you going to lead the kin when the expansion comes out?
Nope. :)

I will be transferring leadership to our successor shortly (Ozzy currently, if he isn't interested I'll hold another vote.) I see leadership as a linear thing, my successor won't be a placeholder & I would never presume to get it back when I start playing again... When the expansion hits, I will gladly (and blindly) follow SSX-Lotro's leader, whoever that is, into Moria. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Syro
I am cool with whatever you guys decide. I am not concerned with who is the "leader." I simply care about the people. Where the Heck is my blindfold? Is this going to hurt? CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:37 am

Inquisitor
Strac has avoided responsibility for far to many years ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:04 am

Stracius
Inquisitor wrote:Strac has avoided responsibility for far to many years ;)
Hey, everyone has to be good at something, right? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Ardith
To clarify: I didn't mean advertise in /l for new kin members. I'm in agreement with everyone else in seeing that method as a rather lame way to recruit.

I only meant it as a way to find a group if you were wanting to get a short quest line/book done. Putting together groups for short-term adventures can lead to long-term friendships/connections, which is always a good thing. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:57 pm

El Oso
Syro wrote:Where the Heck is my blindfold? Is this going to hurt? CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

Return to “Lord of the Rings”