Star Trek Online

Join us in Star Trek Online, and boldly go where no one has gone before!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Star Trek Online

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:55 am

Futile Resistance
OK... Who's game?

Re: Star Trek Online

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:24 am

SSX-Wedge
Id be lying if I didnt say, I was tempted by this game. Looks nice.

Wedge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:10 am

SSX-Killjoy
I, my wife, and my sister (although she is waiting on hers) have open beta keys and will be investigating it. Half of the people I work with have access to the open beta. So should be interesting.
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:13 am

M.Steiner
I did think that if there's still some interest here for this and TOR by the time they're both released (with the possibility of us building a new SSX group), that I'd try to get myself a decent PC for em. I'd then be very tempted to at least give them a try & see what I think but probably wouldn't bother if others aren't. Only PC gaming I miss is being part of one of our MMO groups which is the tempting part for me, quite happy with the 360 for everything else though atm. :)

Will see what everyone else's thoughts are nearer the time I think as both games do "look" pretty good but by the sounds of what BD was saying on IRC tonight however his thoughts didn't sound too promising I must admit, that being it's just an ordinary MMO and he couldn't uninstall fast enough.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:42 am

Isileth
Ive got a key, just need to download the client. Was hoping it would be uploaded somewhere decent, best ive found so far is with a 1h30m wait to d/l and then it only goes at 200kbs anyway. Which for a 6GB file is a pain in the arse.

Must say from what I saw in terms of trailers and gameplay footage, dev releases etc. It looked really bad. But its worth checking out all the same I guess.

*Just found it on Gamershell so downloading now. Pretty much the only site that ever maxes my bandwidth which is nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:51 am

Isileth
Well so much for that, its killing my system even on the lowest settings.

Was fine till I got beamed down to fight the borg, then was running at 3fps. Load times arent brilliant either and then it just froze on me.

Ill give it another go later though but guess I do need a new rig :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Won't be able to try the beta myself due to ongoing exam commitments. However, I am very interested to hear what others think of it.

I have been hoping it would be a good option to tide me over until TOR (which will *hopefully* set the bar). From what BD said last night though, that hope may have been in vain. Another WoW is not for me I am afraid.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Slacker
Isileth wrote:Ill give it another go later though but guess I do need a new rig :(
Sounds like you should get a console... it'd be cheaper. ;)

(yes, I can hear the mob of PC gamers in here coming to hunt me down) :)
<SSX-Anubis> Did you see the E3 trailer for Hot Pursuit btw?
<SSX-Anubis> That even has me a little tempted

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Isileth
Well managed to play it, seems it was just one of the starter areas being a problem due to the rush of players. Still not great fps but certainly playable.

As far as gameplay, if you played Pirates of the Burning Sea, then you've played STO. Its pretty much identical except for going at a slightly faster pace and with a few more options per ship setup. The ground battles are exactly identical right down to the flashing doors and progress bars. Space battles are a little faster but not much more complex.

I imagine however that I will still get as much if not more playtime out of the beta than I would most retail games at the mo however. But it would become stale very fast, not something I could pay monthly for. But while its in beta and the experience is fresh its possible to look past the fact its just a skin job over the top of another game (Not to mention as always the mmo genre as a whole) and just have fun for however many hours it lasts you.

Might appeal to some, certainly with the fact it is Star Trek and it was always going to be fun flying a spaceship around for a bit. But I don't see anything that could hold me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 am

Futile Resistance
Saw Killjoy in there today. Guess you were AFK :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 am

Isileth
Must admit I am still playing it.

Put in quite a few hours already but it is getting stale. At the end of the day though im happy to get all the hours of enjoyment out of it while its free though :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:31 pm

BlackDove

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Isileth
Yeah some of the missions, especially ground missions are very mmo like.

However the fleet battles are pretty fun. 20+ allies against hundreds of enemies. However even within that it has the very annoying go back and get something from the place the previous missions required you to go. In that the first step in the mission will be kill 60 frigates, then kill 40 cruisers, then kill 20 battleships. All these ships appear together in the same groups but obviously you cant stop the Gorn unless you do it in the right order.

However the way they expand can be pretty fun, that battle eventually swells to facing a wall of some 200 mines with battleships all round the edge protecting a giant dreadnaught.

The grouping system is also very good, as you can just jump straight into a mission and be put into the start of another group or get playing on your own till others pop up, works quite well. Certainly removes any waiting for groups and spam.

The fact you can die and respawn as many times as you like does remove all challenge from the game however. But at the same time you need it because of how easy it is to die in a lot of the missions.

I think it might be worth buying if it wasnt monthly payments because over time I would get my moneys worth, but im not going to sit down and play it constantly. However lifetime subs are some $200, so think I will pass on that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Scorpius
I'm 50/50 atm about getting the game the killer question is this. What are the Klingons like ? I've heard they've been relegated to monster play like in Lord of the Rings MMO is this true ?
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:38 am

Padishar
I got a key as well, will check out the beta for StarTrek and see.

My current online free time tends to be spent between WoW and Champions online.
Offline is Dragon Age of course ;D

I got Mass Effect 2 on preorder for next week and will DEFINATELY be checking out new StarWars MMO from Bioware :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:38 am

Futile Resistance
Scorpius wrote:I'm 50/50 atm about getting the game the killer question is this. What are the Klingons like ? I've heard they've been relegated to monster play like in Lord of the Rings MMO is this true ?
Lots of PvP play. I think after my 3rd quest I was given 7 PvP centered quests.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:42 pm

SSX-Wedge
Well.... I was in Beta. And Yes I bought the game as well. The Collectors Ed. Anyone else gonna do anything with this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 am

NF
Arbiter
Must admit I'm liking this game. It's not going to get any awards for originality but the ST theme definitely adds to it. Have to say I thought the Federation is a bit dull but the Klingons are great fun :)
NF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 am

Stracius
SSX-Wedge wrote:Well.... I was in Beta. And Yes I bought the game as well. The Collectors Ed. Anyone else gonna do anything with this?
So that's where you've been hiding. You're missing a war, man!
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:00 am

SSX-Wedge
I havent had that much time to play yet. Its tax time. Plus RL Put it this way... Ive had the Game for 2 days... its not even out of the box it came in yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:27 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Anyone who wants to add me as a friend it is SSX-Killjoy@SSX-Killjoy. Is there an SSX Fleet created yet? And if not, is there anyone who knows what it take to do so?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:35 pm

Whizbang
SSX-Killjoy wrote:Anyone who wants to add me as a friend it is SSX-Killjoy@SSX-Killjoy. Is there an SSX Fleet created yet? And if not, is there anyone who knows what it take to do so?
You'll need 5 active people online to create a fleet. Not sure if it costs anything or if you just need the bodies.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:39 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Okay then.. Well we have 1... do we have 4 others? I also already have some 40K solar credits so far.. so that can be used to help pay for a fleet if necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Scorpius
Not released in the UK as of yet. Well I've not been able to find a shop selling it.
Will the servers be split between regions ?
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Messiah
I picked up a copy of STO today. It will probably be tomorrow night before I get it installed. I'll give it a try.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

Return to “Star Trek Online”