D20 Modern

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

D20 Modern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:00 am

Serberus
Recently Wizards of the Coast released the D20 modern series for D&D. D20 Modern puts the D&D setting into a modern setting and with additional source books you can have futureistic campaigns. I really reccomend that people have a look at the D20 core rule book as some of the new rules in it are really brilliant.

They have redone all of the money systems as well as the base classes. Everything is simplified more to begin with but as your character progresses things become a lot more complex. The new rule system is very nice for the DM as well and alows for a much more...diverce campaign.

This is the official link if your interested.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20modern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:50 pm

Chimera
I think they released d20 modern a while ago actually. Still haven't gotten a chance to play it, but I'm considering it next time I might GM a game.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:35 am

Serberus
Yea D20 was released abouta year or two ago but it doesnt feel that long ago lol. Im currently makeing a campaign for it but its hard to get motivated ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:23 am

Padishar
What you have said about it over TS has definately peeked my interest. I will put checking it out on my TODO list :thumb:

d20 Modern Rocks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:23 am

MethysRaven
Yes, I have actually played d20 Modern, as tabletop is more my opportunity than is console or PC gaming . . .

I have a twisted group of gaming buddies, and we have collectively and/ or in our own groups tried lots of different systems/ games. d20 Modern is one on which we all agree.

If you guys go to try it, by all means post how things go- there's nothing quite like fighting skeletons in an FBI hallway when they don't take damage from bludgeoning (and your characters don't know that).

It's great, try it!

:cool: MethysRaven
There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere. -Isaac Asimov
'He attacked me. He had to die!'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:16 am

Serberus
Heh thats a good way to think. Im Currently building a D20 future using the D20 Modern, Future and Menace Manual souce books. Ive currently done very little as its a bit hard to get motivated as i am usualy a player (forgotten realms) so GMing is differant.

Actualy if people could post a few ides thatd be topz as i have many but i always like to have other peoples takes on thigs. I wont go into Huge detail as VG is gonna be a player and he is an SSX member lol.

So far the setting is a...near future to future setting. Earth has made contact with a race of aliens that are good with energy manipulation and pretty much what im doing is makeing it so that the campaign is still very much our era, but with many scientific break throughs that are highly scientific and under devlopment. As the players progress these will open up and broden the scope of the area.

Thats my thought line atm but if anyone has any other interesting ideas post em :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:03 pm

Messiah
Stargate.

Nearly limitless possibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:07 pm

Serberus
Yea that is something i could look at but im trying to keep away from popular fiction and hitting some less known things that might apeal to people. But yea its an interesting concept that i could look at and with some minor changes could be quite doable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:42 pm

Inquisitor
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:21 pm

CoLdBooT
Guess i'm old school, I grew up playing 2nd edition in forgotten realms :) I never took to the other areas or the newer additions/expansions/games. I did enjoy the dragonlance books just not playing there :)

do you guys play online (voice chat or irc maybe?) very often? I haven't played in quite a few years now myself.

Had a lot of fun with the gods war campaign about 13 years ago or so? (wow)

Now that i've gotten Crystal playing some RPG's I bet she would like D&D as well :)

CB
Past - DAoC/SWG
Present - EQ2/Guild Wars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:34 pm

Inquisitor
I know Max Gaming is doing regular playtests of the above (d20 Future Campaign Setting) every Sunday on IRC, and I THOUGHT we (as in hte SSX) had a regular D&D IRC game going on.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:41 pm

Messiah
The D&d group ended a campaign several months ago. Talon has something in the work, but with a new baby in the house, we are not sure when something might start.

We meet in IRC, but play in OpenRPG.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:09 pm

Inquisitor
If anyone wants in o nthe DH stuff, email Rich at maxgaming.net and tell him you know me (Ed). He needs players, the game is progressing nicely.

And if he doesn't reply, tell me, I'll smack him ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:39 am

Serberus
I never even knew of D&D via IRC its an interesting concept. Although i dont think itd be as good as teh real deal. :sweat:

O and thanku for that link Ed Dark Horizons looks interesting and is something i shall certainly look at. I only have one beef with it and thats the damn website :sweat: confuses the hell out of me :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:52 pm

Inquisitor
The website is, indeed, confusing.

Alot of our energy went into Lore, so, some of hte web presence for the other projects kinda got a little neglected. Brian's only got so much time, and we haven't helped him as much as we needed to to keep that stuff clean.

Live and learn :)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:30 pm

CoLdBooT
The last few times I played was on IRC.

It's actually a fun way to play, I still do prefer playing in real life, but IRC has a few advantages the biggest being it's easy to have side comments with the DM :) You know for those times you want to do something that you don't want the rest of your group to know you're doing it :)

The joys of a CG halfling fighter/theif :)

But seriously one of the fun things is it did allow for splitting up the group and not having one group know what the other was up to, like in a dungeon or other places, made for some interesting adventures you couldn't easily do when playing at someone's house.

CB
Past - DAoC/SWG
Present - EQ2/Guild Wars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:17 pm

Messiah
If you liked IRC, you'll love OpenRPG. Everthing you can get in IRC plus .....

character nodes
die rollers
icons
maps
whiteboard

and so much more. Get the hang of OpenRPG and IRC will seem like the stone age to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:54 pm

CoLdBooT
Yeah I went and took a look at it after your first post, looks pretty sweet.

I wonder if there are still people playing 2nd edition or if everyone has moved onto the newer rules by now?

Heck I still have some original D&D manuals (not AD&D). All the campaign stuff I have though is 2nd edition.

CB
Past - DAoC/SWG
Present - EQ2/Guild Wars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:05 pm

Messiah
I have a couple of crates of the old stuff in the basement. Been playing a long time.

If you are interested, definitely pick up the 3.5 rules, Player's handbook at least. It is very different from what you remember in 2nd Ed. I was wary when 3rd Ed. came out, but I can not imagine going back to 2nd now. The new rules are superior in almost every way.

But that is just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:16 am

Serberus
i recon if you had TS runnin as well the IRC D&D would be pretty awsome. Id deffinetly be up for some if there is a guild one going anytime.

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”