New Online Campaign Forming

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

New Online Campaign Forming

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:18 pm

Messiah
I wanted to check on interest in a new online campaign to be run in OpenRPG. Players would meet one weeknight per week for approximately 3 hours per night. The premise is as follows.

Initially, your character is a guinea pig in an attempt to discover whether a newly discovered and reactivated stargate is safe for use and exploration. As the campaign progresses, your character will be uniquely qualified, by virture of experience, to act as one of the main explorers through the stargate. The campaign will cover a number of different missions through the stargate and across a variety of environments.

Each player will maintain two separate characters, chosing one of those characters for use in each mission. If a character goes unused for several consecutive missions, s/he will be awarded enough experience to bring the character to the average level of all characters before the next mission.

Each player must take the resonsibility, in turn, of acting as DM for 2-4 sessions covering a mission through the stargate. A player acting as DM may put the party into any scenario he likes, as long as it falls within the D20 structure, necessary additional materials are available to the players, and the challenge is commensurate with the party's capabilities. Each scenario must result in the advancement of the characters by 1 to 2 levels. Each player/DM will take his turn as DM according to a set schedule. Additionally, any items from alternate worlds/scenarios must be accompanied by detailed statistics which indicate their functioning in a standard fantasy world (e.g. if you let the ranger take an Armalite AR-50 sniper rifle out of your campaign scenario, it must have stats detailing range, damage, etc with it).

I will handle the first scenario and the main story lines. In your turn as DM, you are free to work with the dominant story line, create your own side story line, or do something comepletely isolated.

There will be room for up to seven players/DMs: up to six characters in each scenario. Players are free to opt out of any scenario, but should be prepared to declare their intentions at least two weeks prior to the beginning of each scenario, thereby giving the DM time to finalize his scenario for the appropriate number of characters.

I am not going to overthink this. I am sure we will run into snags, but we can address any problems when the time comes. The idea is to have fun, alleviate the stress of running a campaign from any one individual, and hopefully experience something new in the d20 system.

If you are interested, drop a line here and say so. Lets see if we can get enough interest to get this moving.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:43 am

Serberus
I might be up for it but that depends on when it will start as in 4 weeks i go overseas for like 6 weeks or somehting. But im interested non-the less.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:38 pm

Talon
This sounds like a great idea... I am in!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:13 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Is this in addition to or in place of Talon's campaign? Can I be Col O'Neil? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:17 pm

Messiah
It would be in placee of it. We seem to be having trouble getting a quorum for Talon's. I thought this might be a more attractive alternative for some.

And of course, you can be O'Neil. I think I have it scripted where he dies in the first session, can't remember.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:10 pm

CoLdBooT
he's a general these days ;)

sounds interesting but I think i'm going to stick to my original d&d style if I were to play some more d&d.

Nice idea though :) I'm a huge stargate fan! This Friday both stargates and galactica all start their new seasons!!!

woooooooo

finally some good tv on again.

CB
Past - DAoC/SWG
Present - EQ2/Guild Wars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:45 am

Serberus
VG was being lazy so i thought id just say he is interested in the campaign as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:03 am

Messiah
VG?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:43 am

Serberus
Guild wars guy who is in the guild, he is also a personal freind of mine and a reasonable DM/player.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:20 pm

Padishar
VG
aka
Van De Neroc
:cool:

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”