Favorite Realm?

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

What is your favorite D&D campaign setting?

Forgotten Realms
42%
Planescape
No votes
Eberron
No votes
Dragonlance
17%
d20 Modern
No votes
Custom (please describe)
17%
Other (please post)
25%

Total votes: 12

Favorite Realm?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:28 pm

BlueFlames
Pretty self-explanatory question...

A short post on why you made your choice would be nice too.
Shattered Star Exiles: A schism. A bond. A squad.
"I don't know what's more twisted: blowing up ambulances or setting it to Huey Lewis." --Inquisitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:38 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Forgotten Realms was first extensively developed when I first started to play. I've read alot of the novels based there and I just like the Realm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:57 pm

c
Forgotten Realms.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:02 pm

Inquisitor
Dark Horizons-

Custom d20 Future setting

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?se ... w&qid=5697

:)

Other than that, Forgotten Realms, followed by Greyhawk :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:33 pm

c
Cool, I didn't know there was a AD&D Dark Horizons setting :D

And actually, i'm fine with most realms as long as it's not in horrible 3rd edition rules ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:07 pm

BlueFlames
Except the question isn't what you can tolerate, it's, "What is your favorite," Lightspeed. ;)

Obviously, I'm a huge fan of Planescape (the more PS material I read, the more of a fan I become), but I've slowly been developing and fleshing out the realm I thought up for the WOTC realm contest so long ago. The Chaos Plane is still a gritty realm of uncontrollable magic, where the main conflicts are matters of law vs. chaos and evil vs. not much. Naturally, I feel more connected to that which I've created.

What I really like about Planescape over other realms, though, is that it integrates into so many parts of the multiverse. Even if you're running a campaign more or less totally unrelated to Sigil, a short jaunt through can be used as a plot device to move a party from one campaign setting to another. For example, if a group of PCs realizes that, after their five-millionth hour in the setting, Forgotten Realms can get quite old, you chase a baddy through a portal, through a neighborhood in Sigil, through a final portal, and *poof*, welcome to d20 Modern or Eberron or a custom setting or whatever else tickles your fancy. Beside that, PS is numerous settings in and of itself. Sigil is what most people think of and where most DMs have players spend a lot of time, but you've got everything from the Nine Hells of Baator to Mount Celestia, the unrelenting law of Mechanus to the unbridled chaos of Limbo to play with.

I've already alluded to what I don't like... Forgotten Realms... There's some good material there, I'll grant you, but after so many years, it has become the definitive 'generic fantasy setting'. When playing in a generic setting, it encourages players to make generic characters and DMs to create generic quests. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, and those can make for delightful and fulfilling campaigns, but it's generally a gamble. When you're in a group playing another campaign setting, it's usually because the DM has a great deal of interest in that setting and has done a lot of research which can lead to there being a great deal more culture in the various regions and flavor to the campaign as a whole. You don't see as much energy spent on research before a Forgotten Realms campaign because, since people feel it is such a generic setting, they are willing to make a vast number of assumptions, and that just takes something away from the experience.

Okay, that was excessive...
Shattered Star Exiles: A schism. A bond. A squad.
"I don't know what's more twisted: blowing up ambulances or setting it to Huey Lewis." --Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:40 am

Lazlo Hollyfeld
MERP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:30 am

c
BlueFlames wrote:Except the question isn't what you can tolerate, it's, "What is your favorite," Lightspeed. ;)
I've answered that with my first reply already :)

And I agree with you that Planescape is pretty good, it'd be my second choice :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:45 pm

Chimera
Dragonlance. Its caught up in its own rules and at times can be impossible to play, it has a overlying christian mentality that can be quite annoying. But gnomes as mad geniuses and kender as annoying halflings, how can you say no.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:21 pm

Rock-n-Roll
The problem with this pol is that you left out my favorite system...WHite Wolf's World of Darkness. I love that system because its very conducive to RP without getting too hung up on dice rolls. Often, if someone has enough skill you can just give a yes or no on whether they can do something and not have to sweat rolling dice. A very easy system to use (I played Werewolf myself and have read some Vampire materials. I hear some of the other expansions get a little more4 complex)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:03 pm

NF
Arbiter
Though I have no real favorite I tend to favour Birthright as it gives you alot more scope to play around with. Realm management/politics combined with the adventuring provides alot more possibilities than alot of the other modules... Having a stake in the bigger picture tends to give some very unique situations where people choose the realms interests over their own..

From the other modules my pick is Dragonlance.. the christian slant on things is not really an issue for me and I get really caught up in the dragonlance world as I am a big fan of the books...

Must admit some of these modules you guys are mentioning are new ones on me... I'll have to check some of them out.
NF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:55 pm

Chimera
Interestingly, now that white wolf is closing down the world of darkness (ie no more books for it), they are going to release a CCG I hear thats called Pimp: The Backhanding.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:14 pm

The Baron
Chimera wrote:Interestingly, now that white wolf is closing down the world of darkness (ie no more books for it), they are going to release a CCG I hear thats called Pimp: The Backhanding.
No more WoD? Now what will they sell at Hot Topic?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:02 am

Chimera
White wolf will certain elements of the WoD, including Bigfoot: The Malodourousness, Chupacabra: The Sucking, and Leprechaun: The Drunken Jigging.

Uhm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:33 pm

MethysRaven
First of all, I thought we were concerning ourselves only with DnD. :smack:

Secondly, WW just released version 3, though from what I have had the misfortune to hear, it is nothing like v.2. :rolleyes:

As for myself, currently my favorite DnD was a world my friend created based in Forgotten Realms, with his own twists for allowing Dragons and other unusuals for PCs, in 3.0. In a small party, we had a Silver Dragon, a Gold Dragon, a Succubus, and a half-ogre paladin, along with my CN female Drow wizard. :D

So far, from what DnD I have played, I would have to cast my hat in the ring for Forgotten Realms. :thumb:

:evileye: MethysRaven
There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere. -Isaac Asimov
'He attacked me. He had to die!'

PS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:34 pm

MethysRaven
(Besides, Drizzt and crew are FR!)

:evileye: MethysRaven
There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere. -Isaac Asimov
'He attacked me. He had to die!'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:44 am

SSX-Biggie
Although this is thread is over a year old, had to add my 2 cents:

My fave: Ravenloft .

Loved how you had bonuses and penalties for doing evil and good deeds.
BlackDove wrote:You see this is what happens when you give drugs to Bigs.
He starts to love you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:13 am

Padishar
Didn't know this was here, thx for bringing it back Biggie :thumb:

I was never much of a table top D&D player growing up, was more into Palladium's Rifts

Always loved playing D&D on the computer however, esp. Dragonlance. My first games being Dragons of Flame (1989) and the Krynn Series:
Champions of Krynn (1990)
Death Knights of Krynn (1991)
Dark Queen of Krynn (1992)

Dragons; dragonlances; draconians; Solamnic Knight character class; Kender race with racial weapon hoopak; spells are restricted to alignments (White, Neutral, Red Mages) and magic power fluctuates via moon cycles; clerics get to choose a deity and are granted special powers from them......
Dragonlance ftw :cool:

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”