AD&D online or at meets?

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

AD&D online or at meets?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:12 pm

Ozone
Hi all. Just petetioned for joining SSX as a Dark Horizons player and was instantly drawn to this forum. Was a huge AD&D player many a moon back. Do you guys play via software (e.g. Shadows of Amn), Irc meets, or is it a physical meet?

Curiosity abounds.

O3
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:00 pm

BlueFlames
It's actually a little bit of everything... We originally spawned from an anemic Baldur's Gate II division. From there a few IRC campaigns got started (which is the primary means by which we play), and I'll occasionally chronicle a campaign I'm playing offline.
Shattered Star Exiles: A schism. A bond. A squad.
"I don't know what's more twisted: blowing up ambulances or setting it to Huey Lewis." --Inquisitor

Battered copies...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:25 am

Ozone
of Players Handbook, DMG, MM I and II lie about. About 15-18 yrs back buds and I were debating on how incredible this game would be if you could find a way to play it on these 'computer things'. Got to a point of making die rollers and character sheets but no further as we we're all idiots.
Would love some solid info on how you guys and gals go about this and how one can join in because - a) I don't mind failing in my studies, b) I can pick up the modern versions of the manuals on an overextended credit card, and c) If a divorce occurs due to it, I'll probably be too involved to notice.
O3
P.S. Maybe best I don't get info.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:31 am

Inquisitor
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:24 am

Messiah
Hi Ozone.

I am running a campaign that is wrapping up in the next couple of weeks. There are 4 of us currently involved, with four more people having played for various lengths of time in the past 18 months. There has been a campaign running, with a few breaks of more than two weeks, for the past ...... 4 years or so.

We usually meet on IRC at SSXD&D. No one lurks there, so the channel is rarely up except before a game. In the old days (before motorcars and Betamax) we would conduct the game in IRC, using NetMeeting to handle combat. In the lat few years, we have used OpenRPG almost exclusively. It was buggy in the past, but recent patches have made it relatively reliable. The functionality it offers us in an online game are unmatched in any other program of which I am aware. I think most of us involved are very comfortable in the medium.

We use the 3.5 edition rules. I think it is a fairly good system, but I tend not to split hairs (as a DM, unless it suits my ends, of course). We have had no major rules issues in quite a while under the system, and I do not forsee those of us involved switching to any other rules system in the near future, unless it is to move to an entirely different game.

We have been playing every Thursday night for quite a while. Start time, of late, has been 9:30 PM EST, though it is usually 10 PM before things get moving. 12:30 AM is the tartget end time, but, if there are no disagreements, we often play later. We keep it an unspoken rule that it only takes one player to decline to play past 12:30 and we all agree to stop, even if Talon's character is about to slay a dragon or filch a very nicee treasure.

DM's and players from the past two years have included myself, Chimera, Talon, Skydog, Lazlo, WickedBuzz, Rock-n-Roll, and Cypher. Before the SSX was formed, there were another 3-4 players who also participated with this group at times, and we have had maybe another two people to join us for short periods.

There has been some talk of starting a new campaign in the next few months. Talon, Lazlo, Rock, Skydog and myself have all expressed interest. I imagine it will be a 3.5 campaign again.

If you have any interest in playing online with us, please let us know. We are always looking for interested and dedicated participants. If you would like, you are welcome to sit in on our session this Thursday.

Welcome Ozone. Let me know if you have any questions.

My thanks all

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:01 pm

Ozone
for the responses.

I'm incredibly interested but unfortunate that due to studys and living in the UK, can't possibly even pretend to be able to make the meets (I'm in med school and 6 hours ahead of EST).
Will be transferring back to the States within the year plus workload will be considerably less, maybe can look back into it thenabouts.
Cheers anyways, thanks and enjoy.

Re: My thanks all

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:46 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Ozone wrote:for the responses.

I'm incredibly interested but unfortunate that due to studys and living in the UK, can't possibly even pretend to be able to make the meets (I'm in med school and 6 hours ahead of EST).
Will be transferring back to the States within the year plus workload will be considerably less, maybe can look back into it thenabouts.
Cheers anyways, thanks and enjoy.
Ozone, you are in a similar position as me. Basically, RL circumstances preclude you from participating. I finally had to drop out after being a long time player due to RL. No worries though. As your situation changes, room can often be found. I myself should be able to play again come late April, early May.

Try to hook up with us once you get back stateside.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:43 pm

Ozone
Thanks Rock (and all),

Will get in touch when I get back to States (may be a while though). But most definite looking foreward to it.

Be cool and catch ya all within the year.

O3

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”