Fantasy Premier League

Be it the Premier League, the World Cup, or any of the web-games that we play - this is the place for your football discussions.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators, Football Moderators

Fantasy Premier League

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
http://fantasy.premierleague.com

Does anyone play, or does anyone want to play? I've been roped into four leagues this year, and as I was setting the fourth up for a group of friends I thought it might be a nice little game on the side if we managed to setup an SSX League. It's probably not worth it unless we get five or six people to make it somewhat competetive, and I'm not sure what if any interest there will be in the idea, but it might be a nice casual bit of fun for a few of us.

For those unaware of what it involves, you're given a budget when you create your team, and each player in the Premier League is assigned a price. You then spend your budget as you wish to create your team, and when games are played each week (IRL) the players that you have picked accumulate points for things such as appearances, goals scored, and whether the team conceded any goals. You can then transfer players in and out as the season goes on (though at a points cost), and jiggle your team around as you wish to try and improve it and win whatever leagues you are a part of.

In terms of time committment it's somewhat similar to Cyber Nations. You can spend as little as 5-10 minutes a week just choosing your lineup, or you can spend hours trying to work out a good transfer strategy to improve your team (like I have today). It's very flexible and completely up to you what you invest, and your players will carry on accumulating points without you should you not be able to login for x number of weeks.

I'm having fun with it so far this season. Would there be anyone interested in playing?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Fantasy Premier League

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Isileth
Well ive just registered. I know a few people who do this but have never bothered myself, could be fun to add a little extra competition to our football chat in irc. Currently agreeing far to much on who we want to win :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Great :) This way, even if no-one else is interested, we can have our teams duel it out each week and fill each other in on IRC of the results. If a few more are interested, we'll start up a league. If we can get the people, that would probably be the best scenario I think, as we'd be limited in terms of what we could compare and how we could compete over IRC - cumulative scores, for example, would be rather hard to keep track of.

Also, my team is here http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/even ... ?id=597201, though that lineup will change significantly next weekend due to my 7 transfers I made today. I'm not sure I'll be able to see your lineup before next week (though as matches are still to be played your players *may* score points this weekend too), but drop me your link when you get a few and we can start trading blows ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Whizbang
I've been playing for a couple of seasons now and am tied into four leagues myself leaving one open. If this is something that seems like it might go someplace let me know and I'll fill my fifth slot with you lot.

This season's team: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/even ... c?id=84264
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Will do. If we can get two or three more, then we will definately setup a league :)

Any more for any more?

Xpert Eleven league looking for more managers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Whizbang
Already play Xpert11 and looking to play in more leagues? Heard about it but never tried? Never heard about it and don't care?

The Lodge League is currently looking for more managers to help create a second division to its league to help create more competition amongst the current listing of managers. If you think you might be/are interested in joining then log into http://www.xperteleven.com and search for LeagueID: 209937

Hope to see you around.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

Re: Xpert Eleven league looking for more managers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll merge this into the other thread, so we don't have multiple threads on Football Management Sims :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Whizbang
Cheers mate. :thumb:

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Whizbang
Season ended and we just accepted all those that applied. If we can get at least 3 more people to sign up we can split the league into two divisions with 8 teams per division. :)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Isileth
Well first round over, heres my team.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/even ... 70&event=6

We going to go ahead with a league as it stands? Is there a limit to the number you can be in?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Scores won't be finalised for another hour or two yet ;)

Three custom leagues is the limit I think, that's not including the auto generated ones you can join. I see no harm in us making a league, even though there are only three of us atm. If anyone else wants to join, they can do at a later date.

Edit: I've set one up for us, the join code is 597201-365449.

You should go to your Manage Leagues panel, into the Create/Join section, and there you'll be able to enter that code to get into the League.

I've set scoring to start on Gameweek 7 (i.e. next weekend), to make sure that if anyone joins between now and then they won't be at a disadvantage with a newly created team. Whilst people can use that code to join at any stage of the season, if their team is new they obviously would be starting from scratch and probably significantly behind the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Isileth
Ok ive joined.

I'm sure next weeks starting date has nothing to do with Anny coming last this week....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Isileth wrote:Ok ive joined.

I'm sure next weeks starting date has nothing to do with Anny coming last this week....
My innocence in this matter knows no bounds :p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
This has been my second dreadful week in a row, with only a potential Bent hat trick tomorrow able to save it.

I will be pulling away from my current team structure over the course of the next four weeks or so: ditching my reliance on Lampard and Gerrard, changing to a 5-2-3 formation and changing my emphasis to Strikers rather than Midfielders. To try and limit my potential point losses from such a heavy move, I'm going to spread it out over a few weeks to enable the free transfer per week to soak up some of the damage.

I think I'll probably lose 12-16 points overall during the transition, but now that my gamble is turning against me I don't think I can afford to do anything else but change :blank:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:24 am

Isileth
Well if it was dreadful for Anny I hate to think what it was for me.

Not going for anything drastic though as I did well last week, just slowly make changes as I see fit for a while I think. Got my wildcard if I feel like doing a mass change.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I think Bent may just be a new saint to both of us right now Isi :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Isileth
Haha, just a little bit.

Now just need Barry to do well and I might break the average.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:12 pm

SL33PY
I just joined the league as well, this is nice, it has been since Neocron that I joined up in any real SSX activity :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:I just joined the league as well, this is nice, it has been since Neocron that I joined up in any real SSX activity :D
:) Glad to have you on board!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:15 pm

Isileth
Always nice to have someone who scored lower than me join :)

Also starting to get enough players to make it a real competition.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Isileth wrote:Also starting to get enough players to make it a real competition.
Indeed :)

Also, I think this week the results have conspired to ensure that we'll all languish with a poor score. The scores seem to be down across the board - I suspect mainly due to Man Utd's poor showing and the fact that Liverpool/Chelsea played each other.

My reforms to my own team continue unabated however, with a slight modification upon the original designs. Should be starting to take shape properly next week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:23 am

Isileth
Yeah I seem to be on track to do god awful once again, although I do still have 4 more players all in the Villa v City game.

But it seems we picked the wrong tactics, most likely have to use my wildcard to keep up with you once you make those changes, seems its the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 am

SL33PY
Isileth wrote:Always nice to have someone who scored lower than me join :)

*Cough* check again :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:51 am

Isileth
I think we should possibly wait till all matches are played for this week before we start with that business.

And also failing that consider the total scores.

And failing that consider my one good week and just compare against that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:
Isileth wrote:Always nice to have someone who scored lower than me join :)

*Cough* check again :D
I actually happen to think that you probably have the best team of the four of us at the present time SL33PY. Far more balanced in general and the sort of team setup I am working my way towards - removing the onus for point scoring from midfield and changing it to attack, whilst still maintaining a strong enough squad all around to support the attackers.

Isi, you're pretty much spot on with what I realised last week. The tactics are not working at all what with Lampard and Gerrard not firing on all cylinders. I would advise you not to use your wildcard unless you absolutely have to though, and it's something I still massively regret doing the week that you joined - I should have saved it till January at the earliest. If you decide to change - sit down, sort out your team, and plot exactly what moves you need to get there one by one (or in my case two by two) you can slowly start building from the bottom up. All using the wildcard will do is leave you in a situation where if it doesn't work, you don't have any more throws of the dice left because the team will likely be drastically imbalanced (if you're anything like me).

Return to “Football Discussions & Games”