Xpert Eleven, aka XI, aka X11, aka FOOTBALL!

Be it the Premier League, the World Cup, or any of the web-games that we play - this is the place for your football discussions.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators, Football Moderators

Xpert Eleven, aka XI, aka X11, aka FOOTBALL!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Whizbang
I always post match stats for every match day to help people review and comment. Figure this is a good spot to do the same for those without access to the other forums.

Match results for 20th May

Lodge Premier League:

Downz with the syndrom - Panda Express 4 - 1 (4 - 0)
Skitter Smackers - Ireland 2 - 0 (0 - 0)
Argonauts - AFC Sussudio 0 - 1 (0 - 0)
Rangers - Liverspool FC 0 - 1 (0 - 0)
The Templar Blades - Golden Knights 2 - 0 (1 - 0)
Drunken Ladyboys Utd - Hull City F.C 0 - 0 (0 - 0)

Division One:

Rickrollers - Listowel Celtic 2 - 0 (1 - 0)
Crazy Canucks - Adamantine Rovers 4 - 0 (1 - 0)
Isilington United - FC Sheikh Moneybags 2 - 2 (2 - 1)
FC Shermanaslovakia - Ghosts Of Suribachi 0 - 0 (0 - 0)
Sorcistoj de Tillery - Marauders 4 - 0 (2 - 0)
Productive Blizzards - Estudiantes United 0 - 3 (0 - 1)
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Re: Xpert Eleven, aka XI, aka X11, aka FOOTBALL!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Whizbang
With two matches left in the season, the Lodge Premier league already has its relegated clubs and the fight for the title is coming down to Hull City and Liverspool, with 1 point seperating. In Division one, things are a bit different. First and second auto-promotion spots have all but been secured, leaving the third spot open for a fight between 3 clubs. The question is....who will take that third spot?

This next week will break hearts, soar spirits, and provide for some fantastic games.

The big questions now are:

Who do you drop in the off-season?
Who do you pick up to replace your dropped players?
Do you run with a shortened club and take your chances with a less-than-full squad?

The off-season is a hectic place in XI as people across the entire game are fighting for quality transfers and people within the league are looking at ways to improve their squad to secure promotion/win division titles. Add to that the amount of friendlies that get offered and that this next season will see a change to the existing structure...and well, you get the idea. With us looking to move towards 3+ divisions and 2 Cups per season, we will be feeling out way through the off-season and this new season as it will be my first run with Cups.

:p
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu May 20, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Isileth
A nice start for me picking up 2 points from the top 2 teams. Shame about the second draw though as I was 2-0 up at one point.

Need a lot of work on my team in regards to transfers, old manager bought loads of midfielders and barely any other players. Need to sell off a lot and try to pick up a few good players, no real money to play with though.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Cyphon88
I'm going to break Liverspool's hearts and legs this coming Monday.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Just to do a quick new user guide here. You can find X11 here: http://www.xperteleven.com/

Anyone is welcome to join, and it's basically a lite-management sim without the need to micromanage every detail of a club that games such as FM require. Some of us, particularly me, find such requirements unendearing and X11 a pretty great alternative that I can spend as much or a little time on as I wish.

I will not, however, spend time explaining the rules as I'm still learning them all myself. Instead, I shall point you here http://www.xperteleven.com/ruler.aspx?RuleID=34 which explains everything you need to know about the game. Any other queries can of course be posted in this thread, and one of us will answer as soon as we can :)

Mech runs his own league, the Lodge Premier League, and has kindly made it available for several of us to join already. If anyone wants to join, feel free to sign up to the game at the link above and then please post here so that Mech is aware that someone wants to join.

Hope to see a few more people join us in the game :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Cyphon88
Stop Pimping, and so more whoring of your team!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Welcome to the forum Cyphon :D

With regards to my start in the game, like Isi I have had a good start. With my temporary team in Lodge Division One (who are bottom of the table), I have already picked up more points in two games than they had throughout the entirety of the rest of the season - six points out of six, compared to the four they had before.

With only two games left, my aim is to try and get them off the bottom of the table before the end of the season if at all possible. I'm currently three points adrift of Adamantine Rovers, so I need to win both of my games and hope that they slip up at least once. With that said, I will be moving to take over Marauders at the end of the season, so my current games are simply serving to give me a feel for the game. I have no idea what scale of task will await me there just yet, though I will probably try and invest in a few youth players alongside the goalkeeper they so badly need.

In my Pro League team, the situation is also good. I have inherited a team that was bottom of the lowest tier of the league system, and have already pulled them off the bottom with a strong win. The team is, however, aging, and significant investment in 4-5 youth players will be needed over the inter-season break. COnsidering that, my aim for next season will probably be to be in the battle for promotion (considering there are only 8 teams in the league and three are eligible for promotion). I think promotion itself may be out of reach with a strong youth element in the squad, but we shall see.

Next game I face the league leaders in the Pro League and a mid-table team in Lodge. I aim for a win from both games to keep my 100% winning record alive. We shall see how things go :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Cyphon88
Templar Blades (Lodge League): I'll comment once the change report comes in. But I should be 5th or 4th, which isn't bad for my debutant season in the Lodge Priemer league.

Templar Fosworn (Liga Mundo): First season there, I had a very nice cup run going to the quaterfinals. Now I just need to get the team set up for the long haul, which it is in midfield/goal. But not in attack in defence. It will take time sadly.

Malazan Marines (Master League): First season again. Theres definetly problems with this team, and its going to take a long while to get it sorted. It's the furthest away from being a respectable team. Only the midfield looks reasonable there, even if I have a nice distribution of striker special qualities.

Milan FC [Soon to be Renamed FC St. Pauli-Barca] (Ark Premier League): Well this team is the best statistically of the bunch. But it's been badly managed this last season, players not fully developed, bad formations, and yet it's lower mid table. 4 or so players will have to go at the end of the season, and 4 new young players brought in (at least) to get the team ship shape for the future.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Whizbang
Oh, so we're talking clubs/leagues? Then by all means allow me :nervous:

Liverspool FC (Grand Lodge League) - Currently second in the Lodge Premier League, one point off Hull City FC. Two matches left and I have to deal with Templar Blades at home before heading to Hull City to hopefully fight for the title. This is my fourth season with the league (one of the founding clubs) and I think that my squad should be reaching apex within the next two seasons. Here's to hoping Torres and Souness get enough match experience to see skill gain in the off-season.

A.M Adepts FC (Liga Mundo) - Currently 7th place in the Segunda Liga with a starting record of 1-1-2. Dropped out in the Round of 16 of the Copa del Mar after a penalty shootout with Templar Forsworn. My club is a mix of young and old and I'm hoping I'm able to adjust enough to ensure that the players who might retire after this season are replaced with fresh young faces ready to take the task to hand. Still early in the season so there are plenty of chances for me to correct a poor start to this season.

Azteca United (Ark Premier League) - I applied to this one today via an invitation from the admin of the league who also plays in the Liga Mundo. Hoping to see the club's name change approved to Estrella Damm. Club is a bit of a wreck right now with some players needing serious time on the pitch to correct their horrible lack of form and little match experience. It appears that I might need a few seasons with the squad to ensure that they are able to become a dominant force in this league. Have yet to see just what my competition is like but I have a feeling I'll have my hands full with this one.

Eire Wanderers (Pro League) - After being promoted this past season I have seen nothing but heartache and dismay as I've failed to win one match yet this season. I've already made changes in my squad by sacking some of the older players and bringing in young faces and expect to go back down to the previous division next season. My goal now is to redevelop this club and rebuild it to become something to compete with. As it stands right now, this club will not go far without some serious investment and working.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Cyphon88
Mechanus wrote:Oh, so we're talking clubs/leagues? Then by all means allow me :nervous:

Liverspool FC (Grand Lodge League) - Currently second in the Lodge Premier League, one point off Hull City FC. Two matches left and I have to deal with Templar Blades at home before heading to Hull City to hopefully fight for the title. This is my fourth season with the league (one of the founding clubs) and I think that my squad should be reaching apex within the next two seasons. Here's to hoping Torres and Souness get enough match experience to see skill gain in the off-season.

You got that bit wrong. Let me fix it for you
two matches left and I have to try and struggle to find some way past the formidable Templar Blades
Also this bit
Mechanus wrote: A.M Adepts FC (Liga Mundo) - Currently 7th place in the Segunda Liga with a starting record of 1-1-2. Dropped out in the Round of 16 of the Copa del Mar after a penalty shootout with Templar Forsworn. My club is a mix of young and old and I'm hoping I'm able to adjust enough to ensure that the players who might retire after this season are replaced with fresh young faces ready to take the task to hand. Still early in the season so there are plenty of chances for me to correct a poor start to this season.
This should be
Dropped out in the Round of 16 of the Copa del Mar after Templar Forsworn let me have a penalty shoot out with them, and even let me think I had a chance of progressing
You can thank me later!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Whizbang
I love getting events like this:
Subject: Financial event

Liverspool FC111s chairman arranged a night out with some of the league's other chairmen and they played poker. Your chairman had borrowed some econ from the club's funds as the stakes were high. After a few hours, the air was thick with smoke and it was time to turn over the final cards. Your chairman was shocked when he saw had the winning hand and had won 933 500 econ for your club!

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I just beat the league leaders 3-0 in the last game of the season in the Pro League :) I am greatly pleased, even if he did make 3 changes to his starting 11.

I really can't understand why this team was bottom before I took them over. They're good, and are a good base to build off - age is the only issue. I managed to pull myself up to sixth in two games, and I'm hardly Mr Experienced with this game.

At any rate, I will be bringing in some youth in the closed season - maybe 3-4 players - and building from there. With luck, I could be pushing for fourth or even promotion next season. We shall see :)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Whizbang
Match results for 24th May
GrandLodge League

Lodge Premier League

Liverspool FC - The Templar Blades 0 - 0 (0 - 0)
Roughriders - Argonauts 2 - 3 (0 - 2)
Panda Express - Skitter Smackers 0 - 3 (0 - 2)
AFC Sussudio - Drunken Ladyboys Utd 1 - 0 (0 - 0)
Rangers - Downz with the syndrom 3 - 1 (2 - 0)
Golden Knights - Hull City F.C 2 - 3 (1 - 1)

Division One

Panthers - Rickrollers 0 - 2 (0 - 1)
Estudiantes United - Crazy Canucks 1 - 2 (1 - 2)
Listowel Celtic - FC Shermanaslovakia 1 - 1 (1 - 1)
Marauders - Isilington United 2 - 2 (0 - 2)
Sorcistoj de Tillery - Productive Blizzards 1 - 0 (1 - 0)
FC Sheikh Moneybags - Ghosts Of Suribachi 0 - 1 (0 - 0)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Whizbang
With the draw to Templar Blades today, I'm three points down from the top and 5 goals off. So what I have to do is somehow beat Hull City by 5 goals while preventing them from scoring. Almost impossible considering his squad. But I am happy of finishing 2nd as it shows this club is just about at its peak and should come into that next season and prove to be a solid club for a few years before I have to begin looking at bringing in youth players to replace the aging. All in all a great season and a good way to finish things off.

I do look forward to next season when the league pushes out and becomes much more involved.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Well, I managed to maintain my 100% record for yet another game - very good win over a team far above my temporary one, but it was a very costly one. For my next game, I have two regular defenders suspended, one injured so badly he can't play, and one lightly injured who will have to play to ensure that I can actually field 3 defenders. Oh, and I play 4th in the table too.

I get the feeling my 100% run may be coming to an end this Thursday :(

I am, however, now level on points with Adamantine Rovers - so a point from the game would be enough to take me off the bottom, which is a massive achievement considering the point total I inherited. I am pleased with my experience this season on the whole, and I will be even more so if I somehow miraculously maintain my 100% winning record.

I am also extremely pleased to note that the Marauders, who I will be taking over soon, held Isi even though they're without a manager. Good show lads :p

Finally, good luck on Thursday Mech. They may be long odds, but football can be a funny old game...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Can I ask you guys for advice on transfer policy by the way? In the Pro League the transfer window is still a few days from re-opening, but it appears that I am now able to make bids on more 'long term' auctions that don't close until the window opens. Should I be looking to make use of long term auctions, or merely waiting until their deadline is upon me?

Also, regarding pricing. The impression I get from reading the FAQ is that the highest bid takes it, with a few complexities. With that in mind, assuming for a moment the player was labelled as 200k, what would you look at bidding? Obviously with 200k you'd likely be outbid - but I'm wary of paying over the odds.

Edit: Finally, considering both of my goalkeepers are over 30, one of my investments will likely be in a youth goalkeeper (probably 16 or 17 as advised). Obviously, that massive inexperience is likely to lead to many goals being conceded next season. Is that unavoidable, or should I be looking to buy older specifically for the goalkeeping position?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:57 am

Isileth
Bleh yet another draw for me.

Was 2-0 up one point, however after going 2-1 one of my midfielder got sent off and they suddenly had a loads of chances, held them for ages....until the 90th minute when they finally scored to equalise.

Mind you all in all im quite happy with how its gone so far, the team isnt the best playerwise and im going to be selling off a few and trying to pick up some more, especially where the previous manager neglected to spend any money.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:50 am

Cyphon88
Mechanus wrote:With the draw to Templar Blades today, I'm three points down from the top and 5 goals off. So what I have to do is somehow beat Hull City by 5 goals while preventing them from scoring. Almost impossible considering his squad. But I am happy of finishing 2nd as it shows this club is just about at its peak and should come into that next season and prove to be a solid club for a few years before I have to begin looking at bringing in youth players to replace the aging. All in all a great season and a good way to finish things off.

I do look forward to next season when the league pushes out and becomes much more involved.
I feel a tad guilty. Would of been nicest to fold and let you take it to the last game of the season. But that was one of the few formations I could of done though and maintained keeping all my players with a from above 12 or so. My Midfield's form is shot to pieces, a bit worrying with the CR coming soon. Interestingly though, it was all Liverspool's defenders with high ratings, so I''m hoping that suggests I gave you a bit of trouble, even if I didn't manage to get a shot off.
Anubis wrote:Can I ask you guys for advice on transfer policy by the way? In the Pro League the transfer window is still a few days from re-opening, but it appears that I am now able to make bids on more 'long term' auctions that don't close until the window opens. Should I be looking to make use of long term auctions, or merely waiting until their deadline is upon me?

Also, regarding pricing. The impression I get from reading the FAQ is that the highest bid takes it, with a few complexities. With that in mind, assuming for a moment the player was labelled as 200k, what would you look at bidding? Obviously with 200k you'd likely be outbid - but I'm wary of paying over the odds.

Edit: Finally, considering both of my goalkeepers are over 30, one of my investments will likely be in a youth goalkeeper (probably 16 or 17 as advised). Obviously, that massive inexperience is likely to lead to many goals being conceded next season. Is that unavoidable, or should I be looking to buy older specifically for the goalkeeping position?
With bids, I always wait until the last day to bid, so that I can't be easily overbid and lose a second shot at the guy (when you bid, sometimes if you are outbid, the player loses interest in your team).

In terms of bidding, it's really dependent on the player, your funding, your other transfer targets. Ultimately there's a point where a player is not worth it, and you want to set your maximum bid below that. If you want to spend in other areas, this might lower your maximum bid, and you'd have to pass on this player and wait for another similar player to come along soon. With your 200k player though, I guess I would bid between 400-500k probably, it's really contextual though.

I bought Rusty Knight for my team this year. The aim of course is to play your weaker goalkeeper in games when you should win, and/or their attack isn't very good. This will be made easier in some respects next season, as you can just play them in the cups if you dont want to persue that route. I think with goalkeepers you have to buy old or young, like strikers, there's a dearth of middle aged reasonable keepers in my opinion. It's a shame you're not a VIP, as I'll be selling one of my goalkeepers come the new season.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Cyphon88 wrote:
Anubis wrote:Can I ask you guys for advice on transfer policy by the way? In the Pro League the transfer window is still a few days from re-opening, but it appears that I am now able to make bids on more 'long term' auctions that don't close until the window opens. Should I be looking to make use of long term auctions, or merely waiting until their deadline is upon me?

With bids, I always wait until the last day to bid, so that I can't be easily overbid and lose a second shot at the guy (when you bid, sometimes if you are outbid, the player loses interest in your team).

In terms of bidding, it's really dependent on the player, your funding, your other transfer targets. Ultimately there's a point where a player is not worth it, and you want to set your maximum bid below that. If you want to spend in other areas, this might lower your maximum bid, and you'd have to pass on this player and wait for another similar player to come along soon. With your 200k player though, I guess I would bid between 400-500k probably, it's really contextual though.

I bought Rusty Knight for my team this year. The aim of course is to play your weaker goalkeeper in games when you should win, and/or their attack isn't very good. This will be made easier in some respects next season, as you can just play them in the cups if you dont want to persue that route. I think with goalkeepers you have to buy old or young, like strikers, there's a dearth of middle aged reasonable keepers in my opinion. It's a shame you're not a VIP, as I'll be selling one of my goalkeepers come the new season.
Thanks. So it's all about judgement really with regards to price rather than any fixed figure, and bidding late. makes sense :)

Regarding playing your youth though - from what Mech said to me from next season on, because of the DV, I was under the impression that you basically need to be playing your youth all the time. Won't swapping out ultimately hamper my needing to hit the Form close to the DV for optimal growth in the CR?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Whizbang

My thoughts on the matter:

You can wait till the last day or you can choose to play the waiting game. What you'll soon come to learn is that if someone wants a player, they'll put a maximum bid that they think the player is worth. If you fail to pass that maximum bid, or get a first bid in on a player and they outbid you and you try to re-bid and fail, you'll still lose the player. The goal is to find quality players that many people overlook. That means looking for young, average players with some solid SQs that you can shape to fit your squad. Remember, the transfer window involves every league in XI, not just ours. So there will be many people out there looking for the next big name. That's where finding diamonds in the rough really comes to play off.

As for your keeper question, you'll always be in a situation like the one you describe no matter the position. The best bet is to get them playing time, preferably against squads that they might do better against, but get them playing time no matter what. Form can be trained if necessary. Experience cannot. The more experience, the more shot at a good CR change. Once you've had them a few seasons they will develop into a star player. Just need to get them out there to take a beating.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:07 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Thanks for the advice on transfers from both of you :)

On another note, talking of crazy events - not that I am complaining:
Micah Chase has been addicted to a soap opera for years. Several months ago, Micah Chase's favourite character was killed off, leaving the player a bit depressed. However, due to a huge outcry of protest from the soap's fans, the character has now been brought back to the show, allegedly suffering from amnesia. Micah Chase is thrilled and gains some form as a result.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Whizbang
Match results for 27 May

Lodge Premier League:

Hull City F.C - Liverspool FC 1 - 2 (0 - 1)
Drunken Ladyboys Utd - Roughriders 2 - 2 (1 - 1)
Panda Express - Ireland 0 - 2 (0 - 0)
AFC Sussudio - Golden Knights 3 - 1 (2 - 0)
Downz with the syndrom - The Templar Blades 1 - 1 (1 - 0)
Skitter Smackers - Rangers 2 - 0 (1 - 0)

Division One:

Crazy Canucks - Sorcistoj de Tillery 5 - 1 (2 - 0)
FC Shermanaslovakia - Panthers 5 - 0 (3 - 0)
Productive Blizzards - Isilington United 1 - 0 (0 - 0)
Estudiantes United - Adamantine Rovers 3 - 0 (2 - 0)
Ghosts Of Suribachi - Marauders 4 - 0 (1 - 0)
Listowel Celtic - FC Sheikh Moneybags 2 - 1 (0 - 0)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Whizbang
::Results of the 4th Season of the GrandLodge League::

Lodge Premier League Title Winner:
Hull City FC

Relegated Premier League Clubs:
Ireland
Roughriders
Panda Express

Division One Title Winner:
FC Shermanaslovakia

Promoted Division One Clubs:

FC Shermanaslovakia
Ghosts Of Suribachi
FC Sheikh Moneybags

Most Goals of the Season:

1 Wilbur Etchells D Hull City F.C 18
Gaucho Castelhano F FC Shermanaslovakia 18
3 Anargyros Karapialis MF Rangers 17
Aiden Castillo F FC Shermanaslovakia 17
5 Eddie McAnespie F FC Sheikh Moneybags 16

Most Assists of the Season:

1 Julio Enrique MF FC Sheikh Moneybags 15
2 Conor MacAlson MF Listowel Celtic 14
3 Juan Jos11 Romeo MF Estudiantes United 12
4 Cesar Chase MF FC Shermanaslovakia 11
Patrick Valletta MF Rangers 11

Most XI Team Appointments of the Season:

1 Conor MacAlson MF Listowel Celtic 20 (9)
2 Lennox McPhee D Listowel Celtic 19 (4)
3 Cesar Chase MF FC Shermanaslovakia 18 (5)
4 Wilbur Etchells D Hull City F.C 17 (4)
Arthur Mosely D FC Shermanaslovakia 17 (0)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I am still amazed that I managed a 5-1 win with only two defenders fit, and one half injured :) The 100% streak rolls on into my job at Marauders!

Congratulations to everyone who won plaudits this season too. Will be interesting to contrast them with next season's when they emerge!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Isileth
Bleh, I obviously was the victim of a match rigging scandal, beautiful goal which was disallowed for offside, then a string of cards within a few minutes of each other before giving freekicks to the other team when it was clear diving. Honestly hope the ref situation is looked into next season because its a problem.

Return to “Football Discussions & Games”