World Cup - Injury Lists

Be it the Premier League, the World Cup, or any of the web-games that we play - this is the place for your football discussions.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators, Football Moderators

World Cup - Injury Lists

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Whizbang
Figured this would be a good place to start listing the players from the nations competing that have been injured and will most likely miss out on the WC Finals.

So far it looks like Didier Drogba out with a fractured elbow and Rio Ferdinand out with an injured knee. I also heard that Jozy Altidore hurt his ankle but it might just rule him out from this weekend's friendly, not the actual finals.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Re: World Cup - Injury Lists

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mmmm. Ferdinand is unfortunate, since he's a great defender, but it's probably for the best if he ends up unable to play. Truth be told I would rather have Terry injured too so that King and Dawson could run with it - them already knowing each other so well from club form, not struggling to gel like Terry and Ferdinand always do (resulting in their commonly poor International performances).

Also, truth be told Ferdinand has played so little this year through injury that it may be best for us to be without him. I would rather have someone in great form than someone who COULD be great if fit and in form.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Whizbang
I'd have to agree with you about Ferdinand. I really don't think he is worthy of a place on the final 23 considering that he didn't play for a proportionate amount of the season. Although it is a shame about Drogba. Like him or not, he was really in form and I think he could have seen some good games during the knockout/Ro16 stages. Now that the injuries are starting to roll in I think we'll see a swing in clubs that were favoured to do well/poorly against others as key players going out injured could swing the tide of games.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Cyphon88
I have to agree with you both on the problems of Ferdinand and the benefits of a Dawson King central partnership. Hopefully King's knee could last the entire tournament under that situation.

A great shame Drogba is out, I was looking forward to him doing some damage against Brazil/Portugal to make the group of death more interesing. You have to admit that without him it becomes the group of near fatal accident.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Whizbang
Dawson/King...pffft!

Carragher/King is a better pairing in the centre and I think one that would result in a stronger, more solid defence than one that Dawson/King could provide.

And that is a 100%, completely factual, utterly biased comment. :p

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mechanus wrote:Dawson/King...pffft!

Carragher/King is a better pairing in the centre and I think one that would result in a stronger, more solid defence than one that Dawson/King could provide.

And that is a 100%, completely factual, utterly biased comment. :p
Whilst I'd dearly like to see Carragher in there, I disagree. The proper pairing is Carragher/King/Dawson/Cole

Carragher should not be playing in the middle because Glen Johnson is too dreadful at defending to be allowed to play. Carragher should start every game at Right Back.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Cyphon88
I beg to differ with you.

The best (defensive) line up is in my opinion

Hart, Cole (WB), Carragher, Dawson, King, Johnson (WB), Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Crouch.

That is england's wtfpwn formation.

But if we have to go with the tired formation of a 4-4-2

Play Johnson, Dawson, King and Cole. Then with Barry as a sitting midfielder to really cover and allow Johnson and Cole to roam forward.

Return to “Football Discussions & Games”