Voice Communications

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Voice Communications

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Ash
I must admit I am currently split over voice communications with TOR,
as having so much in game Voice Over I wouldn't like to miss the crucial sentence because
MS was wittering on in my ear (just an example MS ... honest :rolleyes: ).
But I also see there benefit for Co-op play, raids (operations) and PvP.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

Re: Voice Communications

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:41 am

M.Steiner
I think people will have many thoughts on this one hehe

Personally I think voice comms should come down to personal preference basically. Myself and Anny added - "We don't require our members to use voice communications software. Some of our members may choose to use these together, but use of such things will not be a requirement for membership in our group." into the TOR site joining page to briefly cover that as I know some groups have it as a requirement and make all members use it. That sorta attitude doesn't sit well with me though.
I can appreciate the advantages of having it for grouped pvp/pve as well as it being an added social aspect but I've never been one for using them myself for a few reasons.
In the latter days of my time in WoW vent became heavily used and promoted by a big number of the membership and if I'm completely honest here it did leave me feeling isolated and out of the loop from the group at the time, especially when guild chat quietened down because of it. Like the odd one out and sometimes felt like I had to use them to be a part of the group again..
Maybe I'll use them one day but at present I'd much rather stick with the usual text chat and if others feel that way too for whatever reason I think that's their prerogative. I'm of the strong belief that we should never have these as a requirement for that reason. Leave it up to the individual to decide imo and just have them as an option for those who do.
I know my brother has a vent server and I'm sure if he doesn't still own it by December someone else will at some point. If those are opened up and guildies want to get together on there that's perfectly fine by me. I may not be a fan of them myself but I wouldn't object if others want to go ahead if it enhances their gaming experience. I would just hope & request that they're not pushed onto people and that the use of them doesn't start to replace guild chat like it eventually did in WoW to a degree. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
My opinion:

Personally, I have a strong dislike of voice comms. They give me headaches, and I neither have a mic/headset that I could use for them as a result. Having said that, I can see potential benefit of them in some areas. The only time I ever tanked MC in WoW would have been nigh impossible without QD and Ava helping me along on Vent. So that isn't to say I would not consider using them full stop.

TOR is somewhat unique in its story focus though, and as that's what I'll be playing for it has a strong effect on my opinions re: voice comms. I want to be able to follow all story content, and play it in effect as if it were an SP KOTOR game (i.e. telling my own story). What that means is, having people talking all over the dialogue and making me lose track of the plot is going to be a non-starter. I would not even consider voice comms in any situation where I am completing storyline content.

PVP, or random pointless raids like the ones WoW had (should there be any, and should I participate in them) are therefore the only realistic situations where I would consider the use of voice comms - and I honestly don't plan to participate in either for quite a while. That said, I've no objection (nor do I believe I'd have the right to object) to others using Vent/TS should they wish to do so. Would be nice to see some text chat as well though :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:36 am

Ash
Don't get me wrong I had no voice comms for FS2 and Neocron,
I only really started using TS or Vent for EvE and WoW.

And looking back I'm surprised how well QD and BD flew in FS2 considering the amount of chat that went on in game. :weird:
Also we used to do entire Cave runs and Op fights in NC without voice comms and recall Beta testing Tabula Rasa with MS/ BD
without TS or Vent.

I was just testing the water as to how other people see Voice comms in relation to TOR.
Personally I see it like Anny, happy to use for PvP and Operations / Flashpoints but happy to leave alone for normal levelling,
or just sat idling in a server channel to be poked when needed. ;)

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:07 am

Kon
Anubis wrote:My opinion:

Personally, I have a strong dislike of voice comms. They give me headaches
:lol: :lol: That's as far as I got.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Whizbang
I used to be like MS and Anubis where everyone around me would utilize Voice Comms while I never bothered with them. Then I started using them due to raiding and have found them to be handy when used in the appropriate situations. I can see both sides of the debate and understand both sides as I used to be one of those people who would see text chat go unused for minutes at a time and had to remind those using voice comms that there are some of us in chat. :)

I think we should try to integrate both sides of communication into our gaming sessions, unless of course the group we are playing with only supports one side or the other. Would be a bit silly to be the only one on voice comms while everyone else is in text chat. But I think that with careful planning and reminding each other that we might not use one aspect or another we should be able to get around this little hurdle and help create an atmosphere that everyone can enjoy.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Zephir
Like others around here I'm not a huge fan of voice chat.

I may or may not use it for raiding/PvP depending on circumstances :)

Zeph
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”