Recruiting Moving Forward

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Recruiting Moving Forward

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
A few of us have been discussing over the last couple of days the way in which the guild should be looking to move forward, recruiting wise, as time goes on. The obvious means of doing so is by grouping with indivduals, getting to know them, and subsequently approaching them about joining the guild. This is how we've approached this issue most of the time in the past, and I think it should remain an important means of recruiting again in TOR - but there are difficulties with that.

Simply put, TOR as a game isn't built the same way as other MMOs have been. It's a lot more solo friendly, and in many ways a lot more restrictive of group play as a result save for certain situations - Flashpoints, Heroics and PVP. So situations in which we can recruit in this regular manner way may be limited. Similarly, the Guild Pre-Launch program means that a lot of people who wanted to be part of a guild are already in guilds right now, limiting the potential recruit pool.

I had a thought earlier that we should consider making use of the official site's Guild Recruitment forum in a limited way. Whilst I am of the view that we aren't, and should never be a "recruitment spamming" group, I don't necessarily see the harm in us posting up a "This is who we are, come visit us and have a look around, and if you think we're right for you then feel free to approach us" thread. With the obvious understanding that any people applying having seen the thread would be subject to all normal recruitment rules and processes of course.

On that point though, I also think we should discuss and clarify exactly what those rules and processes should be for TOR. We've run many MMO groups, each with their own twist on recruitment ranging from "two vouches" to interviews over the chat system. At present, if someone approached us about joining the guild tomorrow, we don't really have any established procedure through which to process their application.

What do people think? I think we should probably discuss and agree on a path forward on this before we do anything, since it affects us all :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Recruiting Moving Forward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 am

M.Steiner
No objection here to us making a post on the official boards as it's a little different to the recruitment spamming messages you sometimes see ingame, something I would not support for a group like ours ofc. To be honest the forum post would not be much different from the pre-launch guild pages they gave us to use really. - When ours went up I edited the description to suit us and made a post in the public forum there just incase anyone discovered us through it. Does no harm really so long as people aren't just given automatic invites and they go through a proper recruitment process.

Rules, well we have 2 on our group site joining page already which are the no multi-clanning on the same server as our guild and that new recruits register here. Oh and to treat each other with respect but that should go without saying heh.
The rest is basically what we don't require which makes us different; don't recruit on gear, class, skill or any of that, don't impose activity limits, don't force people to use voice comms etc..

As for processes. I'll be honest. I went along and accepted it in the past but I've never been a big fan of the 2 person vouch system. For anyone unfamiliar with that it basically meant that a new recruit required at least 2 existing members to vouch for them before any recruitment began and they'd be added to our SSX usergroup on the forum. If people want to use that again I won't kick up a fuss or anything I just don't think it's necessary on top of other processes like the ones below which I think are more effective anyway. I trust the officers we currently have to make fair judgement before hitting invite and by the time this person needed to be added to our forum members list they'd already be in our guild ingame anyhow.

I do think physically grouping up with someone is often the best way of recruiting someone and getting to know them, sometimes over time rather than just the once. In the past this has been one of the main ways we've recruited people - being out and about as an SSX group doing general quests and meeting people along the way. But TOR is a little different in its approach to the multiplayer aspect in that groups are only required for heroics, flashpoints & pvp (which you can join as a solo player and be put into a group anyway). All of ones class story is soloable from what I have found and if someone really wanted to they could go through that without playing with anyone at all, however sad that may be heh. PvP warzones aren't such a good way of getting to know someone either really other than how they play or whatever they talk shit to other players lol. As unless you're just stood about in the middle of a Hutball match or whatever it's difficult to chat much other than the odd directive as there's so much going on. Ilum & other world pvp will likely be different though but I haven't experienced this yet.
If there are a few of us around the same level bracket as the person looking to join then heroics/flashpoints would be ideal I think. Get a group of SSX together and invite the new guy along to join in. Some of them are quite lengthy and there would be several of us there to get to know said person a bit better whilst we're doing them. Though as I say above, this may not always be an option 100% of the time.

The other process we've used is to have a chat over PM with them instead and sometimes as well as. Not too formal but to see we're they're from, who they might already know, what kinda place they're looking for and what they enjoy doing in the game etc. Then explain to them what we're about and that we're not limited to just being a TOR guild. See how they respond and then decide whether they're right for us and we're right for them. Asking yourself questions like; Is this person likely to stick around on the forums and play other games with us in the future? Will they disappear into thin air if they decide to leave TOR or our group in TOR is no longer active?. Does it sound like they may value endgame content a lot and could this become a problem if one day our group doesn't meet their needs?. All things to think about really if we want this place to grow and stay strong, imo.

So. Imo the recruitment process would work something like this, whish is pretty much how I'm used to doing it;
Bill has a friend called Ben who's interested in joining us. He's been directed to our SSX TOR group site, had a look around and is still interested. Bill and a few other guildies are around the same level as Ben so they all party up and arrange to do a flashpoint together. Ben seems like a nice enough chap and so one of our officers has a little chat with him just to make sure (doesn't matter if you go over some of the stuff he should already know from having visited our site previously, does no harm and makes it clear. See if he has any questions). Then if all is good he's sent an invite and if he hasn't done already he's asked to register on the forums. Once he's done that he can then be added to our forum roster and also added to our forum memberlist so he can participate in the members only forum should he wish, like arbiter polls. - If grouping up as an SSX group like this isn't an option at the time then that step could be skipped but the rest followed as planned. All of this can work the same for someone who found us via the official forums or just noticed us ingame really..
Also whilst I'm not too fond of "trials" we could leave Ben at the recruit rank for a week before bumping him to member and adding him to the various lists as an extra precation if people wanted.

Anyhow!. Those are my thoughts. I do look at this group as a fresh start for us in a way so I'm all for doing things differently if they could work better for us. We've got off to a great start so far I think :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Any other thoughts? Hoping we can get as many opinions as possible, even if they're just agreeing with what others have said :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 am

BlackDove
GODDAMN you people are overthinking this.

If you see someone who you want to invite, give them the offer, tell them what we're about, and if they're willing, just invite them. Make sure they're not a goddamn jackass (you can use me as a measuring stick of "just jackass enough") and if they pass, approach.

Everything else you can deal with later. If the place is not for them, they can always leave for greener pastures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:00 am

M.Steiner
BlackDove wrote:GODDAMN you people are overthinking this.
Well we all have our individual ways of doing things and what we feel is the better approach for our particular community. What I posted is just the way I've looked at and gone about recruiting ever since I've been here is all. Doesn't mean the TOR group has to do the same, just offering my imput.

I may be wrong and I'm sure he'll correct me if so but I'm guessing Anny feels similar to how I do. We haven't had a new group like this in such a long time especially with the amount of players we have so early on. We've had enough needless drama in the past, wars of opinions with members who didn't play the game with us, what's "SSX" or not etc.. Just trying to make the most of this opportunity and plan ahead a little better this time so we can hopefully avoid some of that crap from happening again. Tis why we've tried to discuss other stuff before the game even launched too and since everyone has their own ideas on what's best or not as I said, I think Anny (and me too) just wanted to gather thoughts and agree on a process.
If the place is not for them, they can always leave for greener pastures.
Sure but I'd rather try and make sure that we feel the place is right for them and that they will fit in here too before we go inviting them than risk having new recruits coming and going. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Padishar
I will simply defer to whatever you guys decide on.
Seems in the past decade+ we have done just about everyway there is.
From extremely laid back, such as AC with 700+ members, to EXTREMELY strict :insert a couple old games that caused tremendous amounts of drama amongst us:

Up until now, whenever I have seen someone ask about joining a guild in general chat,
I have PM them and told them to come here and see if they think we are a fit for them.
Thats about it.
Tho I may have a couple cats from work who may come here to join as well, as they just got swtor themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 am

Chaos
If i see anyone that i think would be a good fit i just point them here. I'm gonna keep doing that until we have some sort of consensus on the subject. And I'll go with the majority on that

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Thanks for your feedback guys :)

I think that pointing people here is definately the right thing to be doing, regardless of the means in which we choose to filter recruits. Not only do we have a lot of information about ourselves here on the website which saves us having to undertake lengthy explanations ingame, but pointing people towards the community is absolutely the right thing to do imo. I hope everyone would agree on that one!

Thinking it over, I do wonder if BD is right with regards to us (or at the very least, me) overthinking it a little with regards to trying to establish hard rules that must be followed. Pad's right that we've had just as much success with a casual approach as we have with a strict approach in the past, and perhaps that suggests we should just take each case individually for now and see how that works for us. If someone is satisfied enough that an individual suits us, then that's enough - alternatively, if others want to ask for a second opinion they are free to. Thoughts?

Also, since no-one has objected, I'll put together a thread for us on the official Guild Recruitment forum - probably in the next day or two - and link it here when that's done. Hopefully that will also help in getting our name out there, if nothing else!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:42 am

M.Steiner
How's this?
- We link someone directly to our TOR site joining page which was written specially for recruiting in TOR. This covers everything a new recruit should know, including required forum registration & the no multiclanning rule, how we don't have restrictions on activity, class, skill etc, the arbiter role and how there's more to us than just TOR. It's not essay length either, infact it's pretty short & sweet.
The page will tell them to PM us if they're still interested or to drop by here. I thought this would be better to use than simply slapping the "what is SSX?" on the page once again but write something new which went over everything on 1 page, Anny had a hand in editing that too before it went up. Will also make good use of our group site which I do think we should use as much as we can. :)
(If an existing member knows someone personally they could take the responsibility and tell them this stuff themselves without linking them to the joining page if they would prefer so the process would be depend on the individual and how they found us. Just so long as they can't come back later and say they're sorry but they were never told something they should've been aware of before they joined heh).

- If they're still interested then they PM an officer and we just confirm that they have read up on us and then see if they have any questions. - No "interview" and shouldn't need to cover rules or any of that because if they've read the page as they say or their friend has filled them in then they should already know. (Though one should poke them to come here and register if they still haven't done so after a week or something).

-Invite if happy or send away.

I think that would be as relaxed as I'd like to go personally. Pretty relaxed 3 step process depending on the individual. Stripping things back even further may get more people with us ingame but I'd rather we had a slow intake of new members who join in on the forums too, actually become a part of the community themselves and hopefully stick around and play other games with us in the future than have tons of members who don't and so won't help keeps this group strong, active and around for many years to come.

Also I'm a walking advertisement for the SSX atm with this landspeeder. I've gathered a few newbie crowds today at least hehe. (Though it does have its downsides when you're in contested zones as I'm pretty hard to miss lol.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I think that sounds fine to me. Basically just a formalisation of what I was trying to say before - pointing people here primarily, with a generally casual approach beyond that. Ultimately, as long as the recruiter is happy enough with them to invite them, however they've approached that decision doesn't matter so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Whizbang
M.Steiner wrote:How's this?
- We link someone directly to our TOR site joining page which was written specially for recruiting in TOR. This covers everything a new recruit should know, including required forum registration & the no multiclanning rule, how we don't have restrictions on activity, class, skill etc, the arbiter role and how there's more to us than just TOR. It's not essay length either, infact it's pretty short & sweet.
The page will tell them to PM us if they're still interested or to drop by here. I thought this would be better to use than simply slapping the "what is SSX?" on the page once again but write something new which went over everything on 1 page, Anny had a hand in editing that too before it went up. Will also make good use of our group site which I do think we should use as much as we can. :)
(If an existing member knows someone personally they could take the responsibility and tell them this stuff themselves without linking them to the joining page if they would prefer so the process would be depend on the individual and how they found us. Just so long as they can't come back later and say they're sorry but they were never told something they should've been aware of before they joined heh).

- If they're still interested then they PM an officer and we just confirm that they have read up on us and then see if they have any questions. - No "interview" and shouldn't need to cover rules or any of that because if they've read the page as they say or their friend has filled them in then they should already know. (Though one should poke them to come here and register if they still haven't done so after a week or something).

-Invite if happy or send away.

I think that would be as relaxed as I'd like to go personally. Pretty relaxed 3 step process depending on the individual. Stripping things back even further may get more people with us ingame but I'd rather we had a slow intake of new members who join in on the forums too, actually become a part of the community themselves and hopefully stick around and play other games with us in the future than have tons of members who don't and so won't help keeps this group strong, active and around for many years to come.

Also I'm a walking advertisement for the SSX atm with this landspeeder. I've gathered a few newbie crowds today at least hehe. (Though it does have its downsides when you're in contested zones as I'm pretty hard to miss lol.)
I can agree with something like this. Ultimately we want to show we're a relaxed group of people, many of whom have been together for almost a decade and have common bonds and interests and are looking for people who are interested in that sort of culture. We're not interested in power-gaming or achieving things at the expense of our own members or others in games. We are here to have fun and share good times, not be twats to people for some pixelated gain. I'm sure we all have a good sense of judgement to spot potential members and having a chat with them will help in expressing what we're about while sussing out their own goals/needs. No rush in bringing in people as those who are of the right mindset will naturally find their way here in due course. I say keep it simple and let's not over complicate things by making obstacles to get past. We'll find new members in our journeys, and it seems there are many to be had in this game.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Just put the promised thread together, sorry about the delay! And many thanks to MS for proofreading it for me :)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthre ... ost1618719

Feel free to bump it with meaningful comments ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Maclen
Greetings everyone. I am Maclen008/Spearmajor from Anarchy Online. I dont know if any of you remember me or not :). I am a long time friend of Chaos/Velindia here. Been here with him since AO. I would also like to join you guys :)

I am Evelynn, a 13 Mercenary. Everetta, a level 11 Sorcerer. And Nelcam, a 32 Juggernaught on Shadow Hand. I would prefer to have just Evelynn in though for the time being, until I get higher in levels.

Availability: Roughly between 3pm gmt - about 5pm. Then again around 3am gmt - about 6 am or even 7 am some nights lol.

(all those times in EST are 10am - about 12 or 1 PM) Then again at about 10PM - About 2 or 3AM. (I have probably one of the wierdest schedules.)

See you all soon :).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Welcome aboard Maclen - friends of existing members are always more than welcome, and it's also great to see someone else from AO around the place :)

No problem at all with regards to only having one of your characters in the guild - you can put in as many or as few as you like, with the caveat that your don't multiclan with your other characters, as that's a rule we have used for many a year now.

Drop a line to one of us ingame, and we'll sort you out with an invite - or alternatively drop Chaos a line and he'll slap one of us ;)

Look forward to seeing you ingame! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 am

M.Steiner
Hey Maclen ^^
I shall look forward to meeting you ingame, good to have you with us! :)

Feel free to make yourself at home here on the forums too btw :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
New thread, since BioWare have reworked their forum structure and asked people to re-post threads in the new location if they want to keep them.

Recruitment Thread

Bumps still welcome :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Syn'n
Greetings

I'm an associate of Chaos/Velinda from Anarchy Online like Meclan above and I was interested in joining your guild.

I go by either Corupted or Syn'n. Syn'n is my main currently at a 30ish Sorc.

Normal hours of availablilty are generally anytime but mostly 10AM-4PM PST (6PM-12AM GMT) and 6PM-10PM PST (2AM-6AM GMT) Sunday-Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Welcome to our marauding crew Syn'n :) As with Maclen, it's great to have new faces joining us - friends of existing members even more so!

PM one of our officers when you're ingame (and they're online), and we'll sort you out with an invite :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:15 pm

M.Steiner
Welcome aboard, Syn'n. Great to have another new face around the place! :)
If you need anything just ask :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:41 pm

GypsyGuns
Greetings

I've just started up on SWTOR and would like to sign up to Shattered Star Exiles. My real life mate is a member and recommended the group. He said I should say NF recommended me - whatever that means lol. He's buggered off to mexico for a week so not even friends with him on SWTOR yet as I only installed the game tuesday.

Got two chars on SWTOR, Gypsydarkside and Gypsyblaster, currently playing on blaster but I switch about a fair bit.

I've been playing lotro a fair bit recently and had a couple of cap lv85 wow char for a short time, but a bunch of us all started wow together about 6 months ago, but it fell apart.

Enjoy lotro a lot but let's face it, swords vs lightsabers, arrows vs blasters, I think SWTOR has it. Also I joined lotro and wow late and feel I missed a lot of the content, quiet like to be involved in a mmo from the initial game, so SWTOR fits that as well.

Anyway hope someone will sign me up in game and I can become a fun member

cya in game

Gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:54 pm

M.Steiner
Hey man. Welcome to the forums :thumb:
The initial days of a new MMO & group are usually some of my favourites too, when everyone is progressing and experiencing things for the first time and the game is fresh. Not quite the same when a game has been out for some time and it's a one time experience only.

We'd love to have you with us anyway. I'll keep a lookout for you at the times when I am online but here's a list of our officers and their alts incase you're waiting around and one of us will throw you an invite. :)

See you ingame! ^^

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Welcome, welcome, welcome :) Great to have another new recruit aboard!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 am

enlightened
Welcome!

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”