To those still with us - Who's going to continue playing?

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

To those still with us - Who's going to continue playing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:23 am

M.Steiner
Looking at my calendar today (Fri 13th) I have exactly 5 weeks left before my 6 month recurring sub comes to an end. I have enjoyed myself a lot more since we moved server. I did more pvp on my marauder in the first few days of moving alone than I managed to do in several weeks back on Bloodworthy as it was dying. Playing a couple of republic characters has admittedly been a refreshing change too. There's no doubt about it, had we stayed on Bloodworthy where pretty much all of the game became inaccessible or unusable besides the class story content I would most definitely have unsubbed already as there wouldn't have been any point.. So whatever I do it has been nice to get an extra month or two play out of the game at the very least and I know our guild is safe on a populated server with no chance of it getting shut down or whatever.
I do still enjoy my pvp to a degree too but I will admit, my interest in general is starting to dwindle again. I'm also aware that 1, maybe 2 people of the few that we have left may not be resubbing which will bring our numbers down some more. - Whilst I'm on that subject I'll also say that it's quite sad that so many seemed to stop playing and yet never said a word, just disappeared. I guess some of us are just different :)

I haven't yet decided whether I will resub again next month. My plan changes every other day tbh. When I've been enjoying myself immensely I can't imagine not resubbing, especially when I want to see upcoming events/content and I do like having other guildies around. Then some days I will feel mixed, others it will seem unlikely that I will. I also wouldn't want to let my sub auto renew itself to later realise that several others aren't resubbing, especially as I have to take into account that my subscription plan isn't some £8.99 jobbie or a 17.99 gamecard but 6 month subs are nearly 50 quid. When it comes down to it I wouldn't have subbed in the first place if it wasn't for the group so whilst knowing who will or won't be resubbing won't be the only deciding factor for me it will be high on my list.

So to those of you still with us. Who plans to continue subbing past mid August, who doesn't think they'll be resubbing when theirs expires or who feels there's a chance that they may not?

I'm asking for two reasons really.
1. To gauge just how many of us will still be playing. If there's only going to be a couple of us left playing I likely won't bother resubbing, if there's even a possibility that some of you may not be then I'll be taking that into account too.
2. If I decide not to resub I want to make sure that I can leave the GM spot in the hands of someone who's not only responsible but who will remain active once my sub has expired. However small/inactive our group has become If this is what I decide I don't want to leave those of you who are staying with an inactive person in the GM spot. Seeing who is going to continue to sub past August will allow me to decide this in advance just incase.

Few other things I'll have to think about too is that Guild Wars 2 releases just 11 days after my TOR sub is due for renewal, which I pre-purchased some time ago. Planetside 2 beta is also due to start opening up within the next month as well which I have a beta key registered for. These two alone will deduct significant gaming time away from what I have spent with TOR up until now.
Not just those 2 either but from next month all the way to the end of the year there's Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Rocksmith PC, Hitman Absolution, Assassin's Creed III & Far Cry 3 all of which I'll be wanting to play on release too. Leads me to wonder whether it will even be worth me paying for another 6 month sub considering all of those upcoming titles, regardless of how many people are staying or whether I'm still enjoying the game. Those aren't counting the PS3 games I'm currently working my way through either lol. Lots to consider heh.... :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: To those still with us - Who's going to continue playing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:19 am

Syn'n
As it stands right now, I will not be renewing my sub. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but I feel it is entirely too repetitive. While the idea of running through the stories I haven't done yet is enticing, its just not enough to make me want to renew. I have Torchlight 2 coming out soon and as the first one ate up a lot of my free time, I have a feeling that this one will too. Borderlands 2 also holds some interest for me. I'll still be found floating around but for the most part, it won't be in any game that the majority of us (those in SSX) will be playing. My sub runs out on the 17th of August. If anyone is planning on sticking around, I'll pass off creds and whatnot to them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:25 pm

M.Steiner
Syn'n wrote:As it stands right now, I will not be renewing my sub. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but I feel it is entirely too repetitive. While the idea of running through the stories I haven't done yet is enticing, its just not enough to make me want to renew. I have Torchlight 2 coming out soon and as the first one ate up a lot of my free time, I have a feeling that this one will too. Borderlands 2 also holds some interest for me. I'll still be found floating around but for the most part, it won't be in any game that the majority of us (those in SSX) will be playing. My sub runs out on the 17th of August. If anyone is planning on sticking around, I'll pass off creds and whatnot to them.
Yeah, I've been feeling a bit this way myself. I've enjoyed playing both my trooper & sage just recently but at the same time I ask myself what I'm actually working towards. Other than having characters on both sides for the HK droid they'll be implementing and being able to quad buff myself for pvp, my marauder is wearing full war hero gear besides his weapons which are battlemaster. All pieces have been augmented too so besides upgrading his 2 weapons, which wouldn't take me too long, I can't really go any further with him until they add more content.. I've been pvping a lot on my republic characters too but just as a way of leveling them alongside playing their class stories, I don't fancy repeating the process after 50 too as I already have 2 characters which are valor rank 70 and 80 something.

Also I've been quite disappointed by the way some of the planets have been designed too if I'm honest. Up until just recently I always assumed that all of the planets which both factions travel to were like Tatooine. Where one faction is split off into one section of a map with their own quests whilst the other faction is situated in another section. Maybe having some cross-over quests inbetween to encourage world pvp. Like how WoW worked and how the entire world of NC had players of all factions running around and world pvp was always something to be aware of. Hearing people like Anny use TOR's world pvp as a negative towards moving his character to ToFN with the guild, and initially when we chose a pvp server too I figured I'd assumed right. The fact that I personally never encountered republic players or any type of world pvp in any other planets but a couple like Tatooine and Quesh didn't cross my mind at all, I just assumed others like Anny must have if it was that big of a problem and that for me it was down to the population at the time or my leveling speed.
I was wrong and it wasn't until I played Republic that I realised this wasn't entirely the case. Ofc you have Tatooine & Corellia etc which clearly are contested but there are planets like Taris & Balmorra for example... Both factions travel to them and at different levels too, however both sides get their own version of the planet which is basically just a mirror of each other. The reason I hardly ever encountered world pvp in TOR wasn't just because of the population I had previous put it down to or my leveling speed but also because for planets like these both factions aren't even playing on the same world as each other so there is no world pvp there to start with.

Now that there is no designated pvp area on Ilum I was quite looking forward to seeing what the world pvp would be like on such a heavily populated server like ToFN. Even if it's just a few planets that are like this I won't deny that I was extremely disappointed to find out and once again have seen next to no pvp action on both of my republic characters. BioWare could have made some really interesting design decisions here if they hadn't kept the game so solo friendly. I quite like that both sides seem to have quests which eventually take you into enemy territory, like Balmorra where the Republic have quests leading into the Empire's base which Empire players actually see from their perspective on their "world". It would have been very interesting and much more realistic for this to have been done whilst both factions were playing on the same bloody planet. In a game full of war when we're supposed to be enemies.. the opposing faction should always be a threat to us. None of this carebear shit where we're split into our own worlds and the enemy base is just NPCs with no enemy players...
I just wish it had been more like NC for stuff like this, where the faction epic missions would take you all over regardless of what friendly/neutral/enemy faction was nearby. Enemy players were always something to be wary of and group pvp attacks at the Military Base, TG, TH and places like these were not only viable but happened frequently. I remember our days in TechHaven in NC1 where enemy factions started attacking our building on a daily basis at one point. Several of our FA clans had to pull together and start defending the place. Policing entrances and corridors, doing sweeps of the sewer areas. So much fun, much more realistic and it had people actually roleplaying their character and faction who wouldn't normally do so, like myself. How it should be as far as I'm concerned. Not just some silly NPC, no enemy players and split each side up into their own instanced world, Jesus christ.... This game has always lacked the incentive for group play, something like this would have done wonders imo.
I've got a lot of love for BioWare generally and I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon which goes around slagging them off about anything and everything but yeah, mirroring these worlds in a massively multiplayer online game just seemed lazy & stupid to me I'm sorry to say :(

Anyway.. Will see how many others are planning to keep subbing and take into account everything else and then make my mind up before my sub is up. Atm it is looking unlikely that I will but as I said in my other post I'll probably feel differently again in a day or two heh. - It's the 17th of August for me too btw :)
Also I think I said the same to you ingame already, Syn'n, but it's good to hear you'll be sticking around in general too man. Maybe there will be another multiplayer in the future which catches your eye which others here are playing as well, in which case it would be great to have you with us in another game again :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Ash
My subscription is 3 monthly and chances are I will continue to resub,
at this point TOR is the only sub based game I have on the go.
At the speed I am currently levelling I have plenty of mileage left in the class storylines.

I will also probably pick up GW2 as it is not subscription based.

Also I am slightly time restricted as the latest girlfriend believes I should actually spend time with her.... pfft
what is the world coming too.... :clown:

Long term I cannot honestly say, but for the forseeable future I expect still to be playing.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Not sure honestly. At this point I fully intend to do at least one more class story (currently taking them on a "one at a time basis"), but I won't be doing so until I feel I've taken sufficient break following my Agent.

I am also aware that if BioWare do unspeakable things to my Inquisitor then my odds of resubbing will probably lower drastically. I am incredibly unlikely to be willing to give them money to screw with my things whenever they feel like it.

So yeah, we'll see. For now, I'll probably be back for at least one more cycle.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:19 pm

M.Steiner
Think I've pretty much decided not to resub now.
From the 17th of August I know I'm going to be playing 1 game after the other from Sleeping Dogs, Guild Wars 2, hopefully Planetside 2, Borderlands 2 etc etc and already those are on top of the PS3/console exclusives I'm playing on the side. I just know that I won't be able to help but give TOR very little attention whilst I'm busy with all of those. Even if I played all of them casually there's only so many games I can play at once hehe. To renew my 6 month sub at the same time would probably be a waste of money I think, even before I start considering everything else.

Then there's the content. Got 2 characters who are War Hero & Conqueror ranks already, the former of which already has the best pvp gear acquirable besides his 2 weapons. The only progressing I can do with him (as he is my pvp main) is go for higher ranks which I gain nothing from except new titles, or rated warzone gear which would just change my gear from green to red (no stat changes) but they are only available to 8 man premades and not to solo queuers like myself.. I've been pvping on both of my Rep characters too but I have no intention of getting either of those to rank 70 as well lol. Until they add a truck load of new content I can't really progress any further with him.
I've enjoyed seeing most of the Trooper storyline (my trooper is 40 something) and a bit more of the Consular's too but part of my reasoning for playing those was to enable me to quad buff myself in pvp and to have at least 1 Republic character for obtaining the HK-51 companion. The first of which I can't progress much further in as I've said and the HK companion we have no date for other than the "very near future", whenever that is.

and there's the group. It has been really great being able to play with some of you guys again and some of you for the first time too. Even though the game is much more solo focused than most other MMOs it has been the group that has kept me playing this long.
but.. there's literally just a handful of us left now and with Syn'n most likely not resubbing that's one of our most actives down for starters. Then there's Anny who mentions possibly not resubbing if BioWare do certain stuff to his character. I'll be honest here - BioWare are not going to leave Bloodworthy alone in the state that it is in so his character is going to be affected regardless of what action they take. If they merge it he'll be on a server with a higher population again yet will be away from our active guild, merging could also require a rename depending on which servers merge into which. Or, If they manually force move people like him off the server so they can close it it's exactly the same situation - gets put on a server they're trying to increase the population on, may again require a rename but in this case he could be completely guildless as well as our inactive guild over there would not move with him.
They've locked down character creation for new players on these servers now and they're offering incentives for people to move by themselves too (if a dead server wasn't enough incentive to leave eh? lol. :p). Whatever they do from here there will not be an outcome which sees Bloodworthy remain open and dead in its current form for a few people like Anny to run around solo on. However much some people on the internet like to hate on BioWare they are not stupid enough to piss money & resources away like that so carelessly - If Anny chooses to remain on Bloodworthy instead of moving to ToFN whilst he still can he essentially gives BioWare all the cards. I can't see him moving so in my eyes it's pretty much an inevitability that his character will be negatively affected by their plans, no doubt about it.

With that thinking I'm looking at the guild maybe being down 2 members rather than 1, maybe more since not all of us have posted. Anny not renewing may not be a 100% but if there's any uncertainty there at all it's still the possibility of being another person down which in turn lowers my desire to resub just that little bit more.

I've felt like this for a few days now so as it stands I won't be renewing. I could still change my mind but I'd say that's doubtful now that I've given everything a lot more thought.
Since Ash is the only person to reply who expects to be subbing for the forseeable future I'll make sure to leave GM on him before my account expires, should I not change my mind. If the game goes f2p as a few people here have been predicting for some time now I see no reason why I wouldn't pick the game up again when I'm not playing so many other games, providing others here are still playing or returning to the game that is. I do really want to see more content added like new warzones, the HK companion, new events, new planets and storylines etc so I'd still like to check those out. Just doesn't seem worth renewing for right now for the reasons above :)

Anyway!. Until then I'll see ya'll ingame until my sub runs out and I hope to be able to play Guild Wars 2 (releasing 28th Aug) / Planetside 2 (in beta atm) with some of you in the coming weeks. Both will be free to play at release (once you own a copy) so if you haven't given those a look have a think about it, would be nice to start another group together somewhere! :thumb: :D
(also apologies for another long post. My bad lol)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:17 am

Ash
Sounds like its imperative that I get any alts in guild whilst i can.

Chances are I will carry on playing until I've compelted all the class quests that I'm interested in,
not sure what I'll do after that, but at the rate I'm going it could be F2P.

:clown:
Ash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:56 pm

M.Steiner
Seems that TOR has done quite well compared to TSW after reading this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08 ... d-suffers/. Sad to see another game suffering especially since it was only released last month.

As for me I took a break from gaming for several days a week or two ago as I was getting headaches. I've been ingame a couple of times since then but the break kinda made my mind up as I haven't had much of a desire to login recently, apologies for hardly being around. Haven't missed playing so much, just the group :)

So yep:
I've got 3 days left before my account becomes inactive so I'll be on at least once before then so I can transfer GM. Still need any characters inviting btw, Ash? (or anyone else). Just give a time before friday and I'll try and be on :thumb:

I did read this btw:
ChazDoit: I’m not much interested in Flashpoints and Operations but will I be able to purchase other features like full access to Warzones, purchase extra character slots, bank slots, and travel features?
Damion Schubert: Yes! When the Free-to-Play option goes live, players will be able to purchase key upgrades to their game experience allowing them to bypass some restrictions, and this list will expand as time goes on. We will have more information about some of these in coming weeks.
If you can just buy full access to the content & features you want like the warzones as this sounds then I'd be much more interested in playing again when F2P is added, assuming there's lots more pvp content for me to checkout. We shall see!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Ash
Don't worry about the character thing MS,
I have enough with 3 Imperial and 2 Republic toons.

Ash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Considering the current status of the guild following this thread, I've moved this forum out of the Spotlight section for the time being.

If some more of us return to the game and get some more general activity going again (either when F2P happens or before), I'll move it back. For now though, I think it makes more sense for it to be in the Game Discussions section as there isn't as much active interest here now as there is for MWO.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 am

M.Steiner
Well well. It seems those who didn't move their characters when they were allowed to do so by themselves have been forcibly migrated to a higher population server yesterday, just as I thought would happen. Thought I'd post this since not all of us moved over. Not as a "I told you so" but I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I wasn't sure if people were actually aware :thumb:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/server-consolidation

Hopefully ToFN was still the only destination server for Bloodworthy and those of you (inactive or not) who left characters on there for whatever reason have still ended up on the same server as our guild, and didn't get shoved in the middle of no where like I feared for Anny. Anyone able to confirm where people got moved to?
I may not be playing anymore but if I ever play again when it's F2P it'd be nice to know that we're all on the same server again and not spread all over the place :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Ash
Can't check at the moment as the PC is still being rebuilt but will do as soon as is possible.

Ash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Same stance from me I'm afraid. If they force a name change, I'll probably never go back.

Not surprised, but at the same time very unhappy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Chimera
Nope. Done with it. Nothing to see or do here.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Chaos
I transferred all my characters over before my account went inactive, so no worries there. I plan on at least checking it out again once it goes free to play. Until i see how things are then, i can't say whether i will continue or not.

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”