What Faction?

A cult classic goes online! Futuristic warfare in 100 tonne death machines where the screams of your enemies can't be heard over the sounds of explosions!

Moderators: Global Moderators, MWO Moderators

What Faction?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Rock-n-Roll
What faction is everyone leaning towards for MWO?

I've always been partial to mercs. It's where the money is :thumb:

Also, I don't like Liao.

I favor Davion, Kurita and Steiner.

I'm fairly indifferent to Marik.

Also, if and when they show up - The old PL folks have a bit of a grudge against Clan Jade Falcon :mad:

Re: What Faction?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm

M.Steiner
Are the guilds in MWO faction specific btw? Like our clan in Neocron was part of the Fallen Angels faction and each of our members had to be a member of that faction in order to join it.
Or will factions just be limited to the player? So anyone of any faction would be able to join the guild? Or then again maybe you guys don't know yet hehe.

Just asking cos I wasn't sure when I was designing the MWO site. You'll notice that the image on the front page says "Merc corp: Shattered Star eXiles. Server info: currently unknown" but that is just placeholder text for now. :)
If you guys are having to decide on a faction/house for the guild itself as well I'll make sure to add that into the image before the game goes live for you all and have Anny update it :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Rock-n-Roll
It's not known yet but I am guessing on having to choose a house unless you are a MercCorp, then you just go fight for whoever offers you the best contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 pm

BlueFlames
I have a very strong sense of loyalty ... to the highest bidder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Chimera
I think the knee-jerk reaction is for us to be a standard mercenary team and go to the highest bidder. But thinking about it, I think fighting for a specific house could be quite lucrative. Assuming that teams with the same house won't be fighting against each other, we could get a good esprit-du-corps going on with some other teams. I think we should see how it shakes out first, but if I had to choose I'd probably lean toward Steiner, and then maybe Liao.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Whizbang
You can always stay as a Merc unit and then build LP towards the houses you want to get better pricing from when it comes to purchasing mechs/equipment. This will ensure you get to fight for the House|s that you want while still maintaining a Merc unit and getting the benefits from the Houses.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 am

Rock-n-Roll
True. When we played in the Lore league, we were mercs, but I also think that we never fought for anyone besides Kurita. We did good for them early and they locked us up for all time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:33 pm

BlueFlames
Rock-n-Roll wrote:True. When we played in the Lore league, we were mercs, but I also think that we never fought for anyone besides Kurita. We did good for them early and they locked us up for all time.
Kind of funny that it worked out that way, given the Draconis Combine's "friendliness" towards mercs in BattleTech lore.

Back to the point of choosing new loyalties, I'm not particularly opposed to joining one of the major houses, but the game mechanics do feel like they more naturally fit mercenary play. It seems a little Ayn Rand-ian to have a sanctioned, government military, wherein soldiers have to buy their own equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:40 am

BlueFlames
*Ultra-bump*

This topic is becoming relevant again. PGI is starting to pay a little more than mere lip-service to the long-promised community warfare aspect of MechWarrior Online. This is to start with the August 26th patch, which will add basic faction functionality. What they've previewed for the first roll-out includes communal coffers for the faction, affiliation with one of the Inner Sphere houses, one of the invading Clans, or the Mercenary Corps, and a big map of the Inner Sphere that we won't be able to affect, until a later update. Presumably, your faction's affiliation will lead to your in-game successes and failures altering territorial control.

I'm going to venture out on a limb and assume that we want to form an SSX faction, but the question remains, with whom will we affiliate?

My vote is still for the Mercenary Corps, largely for the reasons I stated two years back. It's also worth noting that, while they received a rather savage beating for it, mercenary units garrisoning the outer systems of the Free Rasalhague Republic were some of the first to encounter the Clans and some of the first to salvage some of those sweet, sweet mechs.

As a side-note, does anyone else remember Multiplayer BattleTech 3025? If MWO can get there, in the next couple of months, it will feel a lot more like a game worth playing than the constant grind-fest that it currently is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Chimera
So I had been playing with a Steiner-aligned group, but I don't have a strong sense of attachment to it. If we were to form a faction, I'd have no problem going the merc route.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Rock-n-Roll
BlueFlames wrote:*Ultra-bump*

As a side-note, does anyone else remember Multiplayer BattleTech 3025? If MWO can get there, in the next couple of months, it will feel a lot more like a game worth playing than the constant grind-fest that it currently is.
Yes! This is what I was hoping MWO would become. Basically a more polished version of 3025. That game was crazy fun. Hope to finally have the extra dough laying around to get a new PC and get playing again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 am

Wolfman
I'm in the same boat as you, Rock. I tried this game on my computer when it first came out and it wasn't very smooth for me, so I need to update my computer before I get into it.

Let me know if you get to playing it, that'll make me hurry and get a new computer or maybe I can get mine to work a little better for it.
Wolfman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 am

Ozone
I'm running with a Marik group at the moment. We're tied into Marik TS and have about 15 active units coordinating attacks. Theres a few hardcore guys throughout the groups that schedule drops and create treaties. We had Davion break a cease fire a few days back so I think we're hitting them hard tonight.
I've no true loyalty to the group and know I'd be welcome back on Marik TS even if a merc, so would consider hooking up with you guys if you form a unit.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Return to “Mechwarrior Online”