For Rome!

A cult classic goes online! Futuristic warfare in 100 tonne death machines where the screams of your enemies can't be heard over the sounds of explosions!

Moderators: Global Moderators, MWO Moderators

For Rome!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:39 am

BlueFlames
... My mind might have ventured into the wrong game for a moment.

However, I have been derping about with Centurions in MWO last night and today. Specifically, I've been working on my CN9-AH that I got as a loyalty bonus for spending embarrassing amounts of money on the game, and holy crap, I've made a beast. This is a loadout that really plays to the Centurion's strength: that big shield on the left arm. You can let rip with your SRMs, twist right to let your arm absorb incoming fire, then twist back to loose another volley. Once you've opened up the armor on part of your target, you can add your machine guns to the mix to tear up the equipment and internal structure of the exposed section.

I thought I was going to hate this design, because I'm not one for close range combat, but I've had little trouble getting in close, Additionally, the CN9-AH got a missile range boost during the quirkening, so it's SRMs actually perform a little more like MRMs from MechWarrior 4. I also tend not to care for a mech being helpless after running out of ammo, but with five tons of SRMs, the ammo bins will probably outlast the match.

"But BlueFlames! I'm not an idiot, and therefore did not spend so much money on a free game to be given the CN9-AH by the devs!"

That's alright, because you can pretty closely approximate the design on the CN-9A, which can be bought for C-bills. This design will play much the same way, volleying your missiles, then twisting away. You lose the 9-AH's missile range bonus, but you trade it for a reduction in your lasers' burn time. Those lasers have a little more utility than the machine guns too, given their longer range and greater effectiveness against armor, though they won't be as effective at cutting off unarmored components. If you want to try other variations, you can lose the AMS in favor of different equipment. Shaving another half ton of armor will open up the possibility of BAP, which will aid your team's missile support mechs, since you'll be in close enough to use the BAP's ECM-canceling ability. Alternatively, you can add CASE to the right torso, and move the ammo bins back to that section, with the addition of another half ton of SRM ammo.

A word of caution, if you do leave the ammo stuffed in the legs: Many people are apparently familiar with Centurions packed with SRMs. In my first three matches with the CN9-AH, I lost a leg in two of them to people who I suspect were looking to kick off an ammo explosion. If you can (and it's hard in SRM range), try to keep your legs behind whatever cover you can, or just plan on using half a ton to install CASE in one of your torso sections.

Return to “Mechwarrior Online”