Current Mechs?

A cult classic goes online! Futuristic warfare in 100 tonne death machines where the screams of your enemies can't be heard over the sounds of explosions!

Moderators: Global Moderators, MWO Moderators

Current Mechs?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 am

BlueFlames
I'm curious what everyone is currently piloting. With all of the nerfing that the Stormcrow has taken recently, I've jumped into my Adder. With all of the omnipod quirks and the recent un-hardwiring of its center torso Flamer, I have been using this configuration. I'm not sure if I'm willing to call that a final design yet. I'm still thinking about replacing the ER Medium Lasers for ER Small or Small Pulse Lasers to get it to run a little cooler, but those ERMLs just compliment the PPC so nicely at range. The lopsided weapons configuration also allows you to use your left side as a shield, similar to the Hunchback.

Incidentally, if you don't see me in the Adder, then you'll probably see me in my Hunchback 4P, which since my last update has had its firepower reduced, in favor of a 275-rated engine. While I wouldn't mind fitting BAP again, maximizing your torso-twist speed in any of the asymetric Hunchbacks does so much to increase your endurance in battle.

Finally, I'm playing a little more regularly again to build up a stack of C-bills, because the Shadow Cats are coming, and if I'm a sucker for anything, then I'm a sucker for the Shadow Cat.

Re: Current Mechs?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:33 am

Ozone
I'm not running any clan mechs, just IS. I've also recently jumped back into the game after a few month absence. Doing a few CW drops last night I've decided that my Hunchie SP (standard 4ml and srm) does well when modded out, as does my medium lasered out Battlemaster. Medium lasers (IS at least) still the go to weapon. Going to run a few drops in My Atty D this weekend to see if it still holds up.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:04 pm

NF
Arbiter
I've finally been able to get a few games of MWO in recently after a long absence and must admit I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. Gimme a week to get up to speed and then I'll be picking your brains I'm sure!
NF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:02 am

BlueFlames
So I'm just going to drop my Dakka Crow here, before I proceed.

Do you remember how in MW4, there was no discernable difference between the UAC20 and the LBX20, besides the UAC weighing an extra ton? Well, when the most recent patch rolled back some of the negative laser quirks on the Stormcrow, I worked it back into my rotation with a configuration (linked above) that I had been toying with, prior to the debuff. Oh god. If you see anything that is stationary for even a moment, double-tap with the UAC, and then open the chat to apologize for making all of your target's armor disappear.

My first match to test this configuration was on Canyon Network, which is basically perfect for a fast medium mech with a whacking-great autocannon to sneak about. I got three kills relatively effortlessly, including another Stormcrow that had the ill-fortune of trying to make a laser build work in close-quarters against a UAC20.

The real trick is remembering which side is your shield side. Most mechs have right-side biased weapon loadouts or, if they have symetrical hardpoints, can be configured to have a right-side biased loadout. The Stormcrow has no omnipod for the right arm or torso that includes a ballistic hardpoint, so you have to build with a left-side bias and remember to twist the opposite way from what you're used to, when taking fire.

Once you get used to shielding with your right, this mech is oodles of fun. If you're going to invest in a Clan omnimech (or pull a stinking Clanner's corpse out of a Clan mech), then the Stormcrow has my highest recommendation. It's versatile, mobile, and surprisingly tanky for its weight. I've run mine configured for LRM support, laser sniping, mid-range laser boating, and now autocannon brawling, and it simply does all of it superbly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 am

Chimera
That's funny Blue. I have the exact same build for my Stormcrow. I've been going back-and-forth between that and the Huginn. I'm hoping they'll tweak the Trebuchet a bit more soon, favorite thus far.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

Return to “Mechwarrior Online”