Don't do this to your Assault Mechs

A cult classic goes online! Futuristic warfare in 100 tonne death machines where the screams of your enemies can't be heard over the sounds of explosions!

Moderators: Global Moderators, MWO Moderators

Don't do this to your Assault Mechs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:30 am

BlueFlames
A while back, I stopped regularly spectating matches that lasted longer than my mech. I realized I wasn't learning anything, except how poorly other people built their mechs, so it was more beneficial to just jump out, switch mechs, and move onto the next match. Every now and then, I spot a special breed of terrible, before I get out of the match....
LRMAssault01.jpg
A King Crab with no autocannons and three tons of AMS ammo.... Why?
LRMAssault01.jpg (527.19 KiB) Viewed 16952 times
LRMAssault02.jpg
Where are all of your weapons? How does this loadout consume 90 tons?
LRMAssault02.jpg (543.82 KiB) Viewed 16952 times
Autocannons, people! Don't waste those assault chassis!

Re: Don't do this to your Assault Mechs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:06 pm

BlueFlames
That Cyclops build has been haunting my dreams. I mean, that's a weapon load that you put on a medium mech with a big engine, so that you deal the same damage, while running around at 100kph. I mean, LRM10's still aren't great, but at least with that build, you don't get wrecked the minute a light mech sneaks past your team's main line, and you leave an assault slot on your team open for someone with a mech that can accomplish something.

For comedic effect, I decided to see what you could do with that Trebuchet, if you gave it a small enough engine to match the Cyclops' speed. I'd say don't shield with your left arm, but with a 200-rated engine, you won't be twisting fast enough to shield with anything. Just embrace the ammo explosion, because that's the only way all of those missiles will be consumed in a single match.

Alright, I'll demonstrate a little willpower and refrain from posting about any more assault builds, until I've got some that I know from first-hand experience are worthwhile. (Incidentally, there are some worthwhile Cyclops builds.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:38 pm

BlueFlames
It's well off-peak hours, but I was poking around through the MWO streams on Twitch and ran across a bloke who was tinkering in the mech lab. It was bad.
SquishyLegs.png
That wasn't even the final build. He kept iterating, and it kept getting worse.
SquishyLegs.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 16504 times
Those legs.... I mean, most of the rest of the build is trash too, but the legs provide a quantifiable amount of wrongness.

Yesterday, I got called "dishonorable" for knocking the legs out from underneath a hostile mech. It's 2001 all over again, and we've been playing MechWarrior 4 this whole time. People are still stripping half the armor off of their legs and still bitching about the pilots who exploit the weaknesses of their shit builds.

Now, I'm probably going to find something else to listen to, before I hop into the game to hunt this guy. He's in the same PSR tier as me, which should make the task easy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:55 pm

mushi
that 1/2 ams ammo is just :shake:
and he's on the same tier as you? what the hell am i doing in T3 ? :)

Btw, I've created this google form. Since im not an english native, i had major struggles with MWO slang (I started playing 1y3m ago).
People already contributed, if you notice something is missing, please add on the form

The goal is to show this to Tina and hopefully parts of it get published on the Glossary on MWOmercs.com

:cool:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:15 pm

BlueFlames
PSR tier is pretty meaningless. When it was first implemented, I languished in tier three for absolute ages, while complete newbies raced past me, because their PSR changes were being amplified by a new-player seeding effect. As a result, tiers one through three are all kind of a hodge-podge of skill levels. Tiers four and five are more heavily stacked with new players and a few unlucky souls who didn't escape, prior to exhausting whatever PGI considers to be their early matches.

Not only is PSR meaningless as a measure of skill, it's also meaningless in terms of the game's matchmaker. To reduce queuing times, PGI recently eased matchmaker restrictions, so that the only tiers that are not supposed to be matched against each other are one and five, and there's evidence to suggest that even that restriction isn't absolute.

But to the point, yes, both myself and Captain McNoLegs there are both in tier two.
Btw, I've created this google form. Since im not an english native, i had major struggles with MWO slang (I started playing 1y3m ago).
People already contributed, if you notice something is missing, please add on the form
I added entries for 'Splat,' 'Dakka,' and 'Mordor,' since those were notably missing. I'll keep that sheet in mind, as it does look like it could be a useful resource for non-English speakers.

Return to “Mechwarrior Online”