From the Lead Designer of Tribes and ex-Blizzards

"...and I'm like, baby, this ain't a pick up line, this shit's about to happen. Get ready. Get ready."

Moderator: Global Moderators

Re: From the Lead Designer of Tribes and ex-Blizzards

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:18 pm

SL33PY
Anubis wrote:
SL33PY wrote:btw, isn't neocron free to play now?
Aye, but I believe the servers only get 3% at peak times these days :blank:
that means 30 people online. We could get on crash teh party and own the wastelands in a day
how about it :D we can get QD, anna, SS, and the whole old crew back in :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:
Anubis wrote:
SL33PY wrote:btw, isn't neocron free to play now?
Aye, but I believe the servers only get 3% at peak times these days :blank:
that means 30 people online. We could get on crash teh party and own the wastelands in a day
how about it :D we can get QD, anna, SS, and the whole old crew back in :) :) :)
Whilst it's a nice idea to get a few of us back ingame, I am doubtful it would work. A few of us tried it when pops were around 10% and they gave everyone two free weeks, and we all left by the time the free time had finished (the fact that all our skills had been reset and gear made useless by the balance changes didn't help at all).

It's also worth noting that the reason I left the game originally was low populations - and that was when Terra used to peak at 18%. With it now at 3%....can't see it holding my interest for more than a day or two honestly. Especially since they've moved everyone around out of the Dome so nothing is where I remember it being anymore :(
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:01 pm

Kon
Now that you just mentioned it, I do seem to recall them talking about getting rid of the Dome and reverting back to NC1 locations. I didn't realize they had gone through with it, though. To be honest I preferred NC and TH's art styles, but I was much more familiar with DoY. Seemed like it had the better layout.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:08 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Shamelessly bumping this, as a few of us are now in the beta for this and have setup an "army" (guild).

Whilst it's still early days, this game is a hell of a lot of fun. Reminds me strongly of NC2, but is more developed than NC2 at the same time. Its systems feel more refined, and...deeper.

For example, rather than go out and kill mobs for drops, you call down a mining probe to mine minerals for you - which attracts attention, meaning you have waves of mobs attacking the probe whilst you try to defend it. A much deeper, better, and fun system.

Not a lot of content ingame yet (and plenty of bugs in too), but what's there is a lot of fun so far. I can definately see myself playing this come release.

Also, the beta is presently invite only - if and when I get some invites I'll post here and will distribute to whoever among you wants them. I know there has already been some interest from IRC, but until invites become available have patience :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:44 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:For example, rather than go out and kill mobs for drops, you call down a mining probe to mine minerals for you - which attracts attention, meaning you have waves of mobs attacking the probe whilst you try to defend it. A much deeper, better, and fun system.
You know, this was something I found both extremely fun & unique with Neocron actually. A few of us driving out into the wastes with a buggy, exploring to find our own little spots which we'd often return to, hunting warbots/firemobs for tech parts together.
From the Firefall vids it does admittedly look like a fun way of doing the whole "fight off waves of enemies whilst you defend" idea which is already present in other multiplayers. Done differently ofc but the basic idea is the same, except with some actual meaning behind it and an interesting game mechanic like the mining probe this time. I dunno, there was just something rather fun and relaxing about the whole "hunting" part of NC which I personally like the sound of more than fighting waves of enemies. Maybe just me though :)

Good to hear you guys are enjoying it so much too considering it's still early beta & unfinished. Will look forward to reading more impressions, I'll pop up and have a little watch of Ava playing from time to time too :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I think there's room for hunting in MMOs, but using hunting as a means to gather materials is rather unimaginative these days. Sure it was great back then, and I am sure hunting of some sort will be possible in Firefall, but I think it's a good thing that its role has changed now.

Hunting for fun, rather than profit. That makes more sense to me, and it takes what can often be a tedious task in gathering ore/minerals and makes it interesting and something that you need to group up to do.

Can certainly see where you're coming from, but for me it definately feels like a step forward. Hunting doesn't need to go - just change :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
To shamelessly bump this rather than make a new thread, I have two invite codes for Firefall that I've been granted with the recent mega patch.

If anyone is interested in joining myself, BD and Synn ingame then let me know - first come first serve.

The game is an awful lot of fun even though the content that's ingame is still limited right now. Worth trying if you're even remotely interested :) Also worth noting is the fact that the devs have promised that there will be no more character wipes from this point forward, so if you start a character now you'll effectively be starting your "live" character should you choose to continue playing the game over time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Chaos
Guess i need to pay closer attention to the forums. I got into the beta for this a couple of weeks back. Have already bought a founders pack so I'm definitely gonna be playing. Going by Sydershe atm. Hope to see some others in game soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Any news on the next patch for this yet anyone?

I haven't played in a couple of months for several reasons, but I'll be trying to jump back in when they do their PVE patch. Maybe we can get some grouping done then? :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:23 am

M.Steiner
The PvE milestone?. Saw BD telling QD a couple of days ago that this is probably a month or so away if that helps :)
They're doing some beta weekend events atm too so I read: http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/09/firefal ... -now-open/
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:The PvE milestone?. Saw BD telling QD a couple of days ago that this is probably a month or so away if that helps :)
That's the one, and yes it does help :)

We'll have to sort something out for shortly after its release!

Return to “Firefall”