My plan of action:
City specializing in culture with my main focus being on the Expo Center, shopping and eventually the Pro Stadium where I can host rock concerts to bring in tourists. For these I will build the Department of Tourism at the City Hall.
I intend to start off with clean wind farms either until they start taking up too much space or until they're not efficient enough to keep my city powered 24/7, then upgrade to solar power. Want to keep pollution to a minimum and go as clean as possible. - The fixed solar arrays take up a lot of land though so it would be ideal if I can use the concentrated solar array instead when this time comes. These look like a satellite dish, are much more efficient and take up far less space than the fixed solar arrays which are basically solar panels which you keep extending). To unlock the concentrated ones you need a University in the region with a school of science and then to finally complete the research project to unlock these. - I'm not sure how far up I'll go in education yet but if another nearby city in the region has these then it should unlock for me.
Since I'll be going green and focusing on bringing tourists to my stadium I have no plans for digging oil etc, therefore I will probably look for a city plot which has a high amount of water and build a pumping station for that instead. Any excess can be provided to the region. I'll be building a department of Utilities to unlock this - To note: The City Hall modules like this are region wide so once I place it everyone else will gain the benefits of it too. There's no need to build another. Same for all the other departments.
Will be attempting to build a robust road network and transportation system to support the massive amounts of tourists the concerts will bring in to my city so I will be looking for a city plot which also has options for road and water access to make use of the trains and ferries. Will be building a department of transportation in my city so these will unlock the passenger train station, municipal airport, regional buses and ferries for the region too.
Should have a large commercial area within walking distance of my stadium to provide both shopping and hotels for my tourists. Possibly go for large police coverage too as criminals are attracted to commercial areas and not just casinos.
So in short:
- Culture with the focus on hosting rock concerts at my Pro Stadium. (Building the department of tourism).
- A city plot which has a high amount of water, decent wind and has both a waterfront and rail access. (Building the department of utilities and water pumping station).
- Mass transit system with passenger train, bus terminal, ferry terminal and municipal airport to support the amount of tourists I hope to bring in to my city. (Building the department of transportation).
- Large commercial area for shopping (and hotels).
- Starting off with wind farms but will upgrade to solar power later on.
large police coverage due to my shopping district. (Building the department of safety if I do and this hasn't already been built).
Few other random thoughts:
- Depending what I do with education in my city, we could do with a department of education in the region to unlock high schools etc.
- A University to provide higher level education. This may be good coupled with a city specializing in electronics as your industry won't upgrade without the skilled workers. Though other specializations will probably benefit from a University too, Electronics was the main one I looked into.
- School of Science at the University and complete the research project to unlock the concentrated solar arrays so we don't have to rely on dirty power.
- If someone goes high-tech, consider taking on recycling too. The recycling center will unlock for the region once I've purchased the department of utilities and these will recover the materials you need for producing the processors. Also, if the University is in this city too it will increase the efficiency of your recycling too.
- A Nuclear power plant would be best placed in the city with the University to to avoid potential meltdowns from unskilled workers so University > High-tech industry > Recycling > Nuclear Power Plant could be a good mix for a city.
- Will need a department of safety. If someone is going to need increased police coverage in their city (casino business or lots of commercial) or improved fire service (large industry), they could consider building this module for us. If I go ahead with my police stuff I can always build this though if nobody else has already.
My copy was dispatched today with an expected delivery of "on or before the 11th" so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can join you guys on Friday too. If not it'll be either Sat or Mon. Ava will have his copy for release day though as he ordered from Amazon
^ Those are my plans above at least but if I don't get my copy for friday and someone else in the region has already built some of those department modules I planned on I can always help out by building some of the others for us instead, since they're all supposed to be region wide