Joysticks??

Our SC organization can be found here. Come join us!

Moderators: Global Moderators, SC Moderators

Joysticks??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:19 am

Ash
Okay folks as the title suggests what Joysticks/ controllers are you using?

I'll admit I am still using my MS Sidewinder from my FS2 days.

In conjunction with my keyboard for Elite Dangerous I can live with it,
yet I'm slightly concerned that it will not cut the mustard for Star Citizen,
especially if I need to manually aim that turret on the Super Hornet.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

Re: Joysticks??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:35 am

M.Steiner
We were actually discussing Joysticks & HOTAS setups on IRC a month or two ago so I'll drop the log in since it is relevant :thumb:
14:58 @M-Steiner • Do you have a HOTAS setup btw, Anny?
15:00 @[SSX]Anubis • and you mean a joystick setup? Yeah. I still have my gear from Freespace
15:00 @[SSX]Anubis • need to dust it off
15:00 @M-Steiner • Assuming all goes well with the rest of the game and I stick with it, I'd probably get myself flight stick/throttle thingie.
15:01 @[SSX]Anubis • joystick is definitely the way to go imo
15:01 @M-Steiner • Would prefer to use something like that than a controller. I'd be using my brothers wheel for Driveclub as well if it was supported and I could find a place to clamp it over where the PS4 is situated
15:02 @[SSX]Anubis › nods
15:02 @M-Steiner • Not going to buy anything right away (in the new year maybe) but is there any products you guys would particularly recommend?
15:03 @[SSX]Anubis • ehhhh...might be best to ask BD. I could recommend you my stick, but I bought it a decade ago so there's probably better by now
15:03 @[SSX]Anubis • he might know more about up to date ones
15:04 @M-Steiner • Wouldn't want something too over the top and expensive but wouldn't want some cheap piece of crap either. I've seen the Saitek X-55 Rhino pop-up a few times
15:04 @[SSX]Anubis • I was always Logitek
15:05 @[SSX]Anubis • but no idea if they even do them anymore
15:05 @M-Steiner › nods
15:06 @M-Steiner • My brothers steering wheel is a Logitech
15:09 @BlackDove • ah
15:09 @BlackDove • how's it going, what's happening?
15:09 @BlackDove • right about the HOTAS
15:09 @BlackDove • There will be a Star Citizen branded one.
15:09 @BlackDove • Never get a HOTAS if you aren't getting the pedals either.
15:09 @BlackDove • Current "best" HOTAS as far as "<censored> supported and not dropped" is X-55
15:10 @BlackDove • If you are ultra insane with your money, you can get a HOTAS Warthog.
15:11 @[SSX]Anubis • see, far more helpful than me haha :) BD might pitch a fit if I had you get a 10 year old joystick :P
15:11 @M-Steiner • lol
15:11 @BlackDove • I myself got an X65F which is a different kind of HOTAS alltogether, and is a direct replica of the F-16 fighter jet. It cannot be moved though from its centre, as is the case with the real one. In all the fighter jets, the sticks are non movable, but have sensors built in them for most accurate precision. This is advanced shit and is the reason why nobody bought the stick. It's hard to master.
15:11 @BlackDove • But it's the most accurate.
15:11 @BlackDove • You can punch in all these names into youtube
15:11 @BlackDove • and see the reviews for each of them.
15:12 @BlackDove • However 10 year old joysticks work too, but if they're good. Mine is currently 13 years old, still works and is the thing I'm playing SC with currently.
15:12 @M-Steiner › nods
15:12 @BlackDove • SC can be played with key and mouse, joypad, a joystick a HOTAS or two joysticks or a mouse and a joystick etc.
15:13 @BlackDove • PAY ATTENTION THO
15:13 @BlackDove • Oculus Rift. It changes the game completely far as control and immersion.
15:13 @BlackDove • We will all be getting the consumer version of that.
15:13 @BlackDove • Something to keep in mind.
15:13 @BlackDove • Now onto pedals.
15:14 @BlackDove • Pedals have 4 different control functions. Toe brakes and of course, left right movement.
15:14 @BlackDove • Usually in flight sims they're used to roll or yaw the aircraft, but in Star Citizen we have the real world six degrees of freedom
15:14 @BlackDove • Meaning, you can move up down, left right, and forward backward all at the same time.
15:15 @BlackDove • That's what you bind to the pedals usually. The left right, up down movement. Forward backward is done via the throttle in your left hand, and the rest with the stick.
15:15 @[SSX]Anubis • yes, that is very true. When I get Oculus I will definitely get a new HOTAS to go with it
15:15 @BlackDove • It all sounds real complex, but it's actually real simple once you have everything on hand.
15:15 @[SSX]Anubis • Elite had that setup and it was phenomenal
15:15 @BlackDove • Can execute 200 commands or so with just that shit in your hands.
15:16 @BlackDove • Question then becomes can you remember all of those commands and use them quickly.
15:16 @BlackDove • That's the diff between if you're good or not.
15:16 @BlackDove • Anyway, start with X55, WARTHOG and X65F on youtube, type that in and "review"
15:16 @BlackDove • Watch the vids
15:16 @BlackDove • Give you a sense of HOTASyness
15:17 @BlackDove • Other than that, you can always get a cheap joystick and get good results.
15:17 @BlackDove • Most often used one is Logitech 3D Pro or whatever the <censored> it's called.
15:17 @BlackDove • Same as my 13 year old Sidewinder Precision 2.
15:17 @BlackDove • They do their job, but have a limited amount of what you can bind to them
15:17 @BlackDove • Meaning you'll be using them and the keyboard and it gets a bit unwieldly doing that.
15:18 @M-Steiner • Yeah, will take me a good while I think. Was just saying before that since this is pretty much a first for me I'm basically going in and learning shit as a complete newbie
15:18 @BlackDove • One thing to keep in mind.
15:18 @BlackDove • I will tell you a story.
15:18 @BlackDove • (he always tells you a story)
15:18 @BlackDove • Back in the freespace days, I used keyboard and mouse.
15:18 @BlackDove • I was getting pretty good with it.
15:18 @BlackDove • This is back in the day when yofor how good you were was pretty important in the community.
15:19 @BlackDove • I was above average. But that was my ceiling.
15:19 @BlackDove • So I figured I'd switch to joystick.
15:19 @BlackDove • I did.
15:19 @BlackDove • When I did, I went back to NOOB LEVEL EXTRAORDINARE
15:19 @BlackDove • Sure enough, it's a completely different control system.
15:19 @BlackDove • You are bound to suck with the switch and the inexperience of doing it.
15:19 @BlackDove • But I stuck it out. I trained with it a lot.
15:20 @BlackDove • And eventually punched through my ceiling of above average, to get to GODLIKE
15:20 @BlackDove • Couldn't have done it with mouse and key.
15:20 @BlackDove • Same thing here with HOTAS
15:20 @BlackDove • Point being
15:20 @BlackDove • Since you're new to this.
15:21 @BlackDove • I'd suggest joystick or HOTAS from the get go, saves you learning a peripheral and then when you want to get better, you gotta go back to n00b.
15:21 @BlackDove • Might not be that important for you at all, but something to think about.
15:21 @BlackDove • Oh and X52 Pro is a HOTAS many have.
15:21 @M-Steiner • hmm yeah, food for thought.
15:22 @BlackDove • It's cheaper, and older, but many people are good with it.
15:22 @BlackDove • As in, it's good for them, works for them.
15:22 @BlackDove • So punch that one in as well as "review".
15:25 @BlackDove • The idea with real sticks is essentially that control of the aircraft becomes something that goes directly from the brain and into reality.
15:25 @BlackDove • Hence the X65F
15:26 @BlackDove • If you could control it telepathically that would be the ideal, but the next best thing is for you to have your hand on a piece of metal, and have that metal sense VERY SLIGHT MUSCLE INPUTS from your brain and have the aircraft DIRECTLY respond to that input with no lag.
15:27 @BlackDove • All aircraft since the F-16 allow for five degrees of motion because pilots are pussies.
15:27 @BlackDove • But five degrees is essentially nothing and a placebo so that the pilots can orient themselves more easily.
15:27 @BlackDove • The bulk of the work is done via stress gauges.
15:29 @BlackDove • Far as pedals are concerned.
15:29 @BlackDove • I went for the CH pedals, latest version whatever the <censored> it was. CH makes shit for the actual aeronautics industry, but games and shit are a source of revenue too, so they use their expertise to make shit for us as well.
15:30 @BlackDove • If you've got clearance from the DOD or DARPA, they'll sell you the pro stuff too, a stick alone I think costs $30 000 from them.
15:30 @BlackDove • So their shit is extremely durable is what I'm trying to say.
15:30 @[SSX]Anubis • jesus
15:30 @[SSX]Anubis • wtf
15:30 @[SSX]Anubis • 30k???
15:30 @M-Steiner • So assuming I got one of the Saitek setups, I could then just pick one of these 3 to go with it right? http://eustore.madcatz.com/pro-flight-pedals-EU/
15:30 @BlackDove • That's the pro stuff son, the shit in the cockpits of like an F22 or an F35
15:31 @BlackDove • Was getting to that
15:31 @BlackDove • The cheaper rudder pedals from Saitek are durable
15:31 @BlackDove • But they move a bit because it's cheap chinese plastic.
15:31 @BlackDove • You can punch the name in and review, and you'll see people wiggle them
15:31 @BlackDove • They will take the punishment tho, so they are functional
15:31 @BlackDove • The more expensive ones
15:32 @BlackDove • The flight pro ones are on par with CH and probably the ideal
15:32 @BlackDove • Very tight, very precise.
15:32 @BlackDove • http://eustore.madcatz.com/mad-catz-bra ... edals.html
15:32 @BlackDove • So that one is arguably "the best" of them all, but also the most expensive for me.
15:33 @BlackDove • I got the CH ones for cheap off Ebay, well cheap, $95
15:33 @BlackDove • But cheaper than that.
15:33 @BlackDove • But they don't look as good.
15:33 @BlackDove • Prices here aren't like in the US, more like the prices there you're looking at.
15:34 @M-Steiner • Okie dokie. I shall throw some of these names into YouTube later on and check some reviews out
15:35 @BlackDove • Good place to start.
15:35 @BlackDove • Then we can talk further once you do.
15:35 @M-Steiner • Going from what you've said, a combo of the X-55 and pro flight pedals seems like a good choice but I'll see what I think once I've watched some vids.
15:39 @BlackDove • For now.
15:39 @BlackDove • As I said Star Citizen will come with their own branded HOTAS soon.
15:39 @BlackDove • Might be the one to go for as it'll be the newest one and supported.
15:39 @BlackDove • But yes, you're on the right track, that is likely the ideal config. Logically speaking.
15:41 @M-Steiner • True, may also be an idea just to wait for that rather than buy something which is only temporary. Putting aside getting used to completely different controls as you were on about.
15:41 @BlackDove • Well
15:41 @BlackDove • The X55 will not be temporary, it'll last you for as long as it'll work.
15:42 @BlackDove • With all games really.
15:42 @BlackDove • From what I hear it's one of the best sticks ever made, for that price.
15:42 @BlackDove • So you'll do fine with that. Star Citizen stuff is likely to be more expensive due to "branding" and will have its own pitfalls.
15:42 @BlackDove • It's a give or take.
15:42 @BlackDove • X55 may be the best bet even after the SC one comes out. It'll depend on what the SC one is.
15:43 @BlackDove • Doesn't hurt to wait and play with your gamepad in the interim tho.
15:43 @BlackDove • I personally knew I was going to be insane, so I went for the x65f
15:44 @BlackDove • It will relegate me to n00b mode again until I figure it the <censored> out, but them's the breaks.
15:44 @BlackDove • If not, I would've used my 13 year old stick that I've got, or would have likely bought the X55
15:44 @M-Steiner • Saying that, one would assume that the SC branded ones will have been made with SC in mind and that's likely going to be the only game I use it on. Or at least I can't see myself getting into other games with it as it was SC's approach and incredible vision with stuff like the planetside which really helped sell it to me
15:44 @M-Steiner • Will see anyway
15:44 @BlackDove • Yeah, you're right.
15:45 @BlackDove • But it's always good to keep as many doors open as possible.
15:45 @BlackDove • Don't wanna shut any unless you absolutely have to.
15:45 @M-Steiner › nods
15:45 @BlackDove • That SC stick will be surely made in mind for use outside SC too like other sticks.
15:45 @BlackDove • Unless they're completely retarded there at CIG
15:45 @M-Steiner • lol
15:46 @BlackDove • And the thing is once you have the equipment, it's not a big stretch <censored> around with shit like FSX or Microsoft simulators or whatevs.
15:46 @BlackDove • Can learn how to fly real planes with these input systems, as in for reals reals.
15:48 @BlackDove • That way, when you're traveling and the stewardess comes out of the cockpit and says "the pilot had a heart attack, does anyone in this plane know how to fly one" you can say "Yes, I have 5000 flight hours". Then you get to the cockpit and ask them how to transfer power from shields and into photon cannons.
15:48 @BlackDove • http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/01/19
15:49 @[SSX]Anubis • lol
15:54 @BlackDove • AT any rate
15:54 @BlackDove • The result you want is this.
15:54 @BlackDove • Now, he's using track ir, which is how he moves his head. I will be using it too, but a free-ish version of it.
15:55 @BlackDove • TrackIR is another can of worms.
15:55 @BlackDove • But that'll be obsolete once the Rift comes.
15:55 @BlackDove • But this is the pro way to play.
15:55 @BlackDove • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc4Iz7pduI4
15:55 @BlackDove • You are aiming for that.
15:56 @BlackDove • That is when mind and body are one with the control systems.
15:59 @BlackDove • Watch the whole thing, that is what it looks like when you fully take command of the ship. It is your slave and it obeys all of your commands to the letter.
I've decided to stick with my 360 gamepad for the time being. Going to wait until they reveal the official SC branded gear and see how those compare to other HOTAS setups already on the market first (like the X-55 etc), then decide which route I want to go :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I think I'll be dusting out my Logitech Attack 3 from the Freespace 2 days, at least to start with.

If I really have to because it's unplayable, I'll look at an upgrade. But...got a lot of memories attached to that stick. I'd rather keep it if I can :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Ash
yeah, think i'll stick with the Sidewinder Precision 2 for a while longer.
Ash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
They can be horribly hard to part with can't they, haha :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:44 pm

BlackDove
After 14 years, my Precision 2 is finally replaced.

Finally got my X65F, and it's a beast. A cold metal precise beast.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

And I got the pedals as well.

Now I gotta set it up properly and modify my armchair. And also buy a computer that can run the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:16 pm

M.Steiner
Very, very nice indeed ^^

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:05 pm

M.Steiner
So, my plan has always been to stick with my 360 pad until the SC peripherals are released but since I've already been playing a lot of this and we probably won't see the latter until the end of this year I decided to get something now.

The 360 pad has been decent enough but I've always planned to upgrade from it and stuff like strafing (which will be a must) can be a bit harder to do on it I'm finding. The thing with switching over later as well is I will have spent so long playing it with a gamepad to then have to get used to using something completely different, I might as well do the switch now really. The SC gear might be priced higher as well and it remains to be seen how well they'll compare to stuff already on the market so I figured I'd buy something now which is sure to last me. Not to spend a fortune, but didn't want to buy something cheap and nasty either. As such I'm expecting a delivery probably Mon/Tue next week!
I went with the X55 and CH Pro Pedals. I've looked at both HOTAS setups and pedals on and off since the end of last year and these seemed like a good pick after a lot of looking around. Not heard a bad thing said about the CH pedals and whilst they don't look as cool (they're going under the desk anyway, who cares?), they cost me less than what a pair of Saitek ones would have too. Win win. The X55 also seemed to fit nicely in the middle between the X52, Thrustmaster Warthog & X65. X55 seems like a great piece of kit for the price and the latter two were quite a bit more.
The X55 will be new but I picked the pedals up off ebay.
I'll no doubt suck with them at first but should hopefully play better and have an easier time with them in the long run. Will post pics when I receive em! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:59 pm

BlackDove
The X-55 is arguably the best choice for everyone to be buying if they're interested in HOTAS-es right now. It is I believe the newest and only really actively supported one. One of the big problems with sticks is the support evaporates after a while, so buying the newest and still supported one is great. That said, most people who bought X52's are still using them today, and swear by them, which is also a good sign.

The CH pedals are also objectively the best pedals unless you're going for the $600 and above range, which is more pro. I don't know if you looked at the history of CH, but they actually make the "for realz" stuff where you need US Government licensing in order to purchase the military equipment that costs tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. The "game" stuff they sell is just a side business because it's a profitable business. Anything they make has very good longevity, but like military hardware, it's not made "for show".

The CH pedals also come with two nice plastic inserts that you can put at the bottom of the pedal mechanism in order to make them functional for racing games only. Then you can't slide them, you can only use the toebrakes which is ideal for racing games.

But switching over from one control scheme to another will be a bit painful. Well. It can be a LOT painful. To the point where you want to say "Why did I do this, I'm gonna go back to what I used to do". Happened to me before, and it also happened most recently now when I got this HOTAS. But this time I knew to expect it, and so I stuck it out and it's working out better than I ever thought it would.

Remember, you will be utter shit when you start using the stuff. A lot of it will have to do with a) wrong calibration of the hardware in its own hardware program, b) wrong calibration of the hardware with the ingame software (just look at all those sensitivity settings). It will be a job just to sync those two up to be usable.

Admittedly, you'll have an easier time as the X-55 is supported out of the box in Star Citizen. There are default values for it. But you'll still have to wrestle with fine tuning the equipment so it works for you. And picking the correct tension spring.

I'll be able to help you out big time with the pedals by giving you my settings so they'll work with Star Citizen, so that'll be a relief for you, but I'll suggest you do not use them in the beginning. Get used to the HOTAS first. First those 3 degrees of freedom, then the additional 3 with the pedals later. I'll try to break your fall as much as possible. Admittedly I've always had to figure it out alone, which kind of invites frustration, so you maybe won't be that affected by it.

But yeah. Welcome to the club.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:07 pm

BlackDove
Also a side note: I got the TrackIR setup, but I'm gonna advise you not to get one.

The killer app for us, and we will be in the position to experience the true heights of this technology, is the Rift.

You see, first person shooters will never work in the Rift because you don't have a football stadium sized treadmill, and even if you did, most games aren't coded for the decoupled gun movement from the sight.

But for flight sims and racing games, you are supposed to be sitting down. You are supposed to have the HOTAS. Flight stick in one hand, throttle in other. It is a one-to-one ratio of immersion. You can ask any current Rift user, who plays either SC or Elite, the experience is unparalleled.

Look at how natural the whole thing works with head movement. Not to mention the aiming, as he moves the gimbals with his head, at a one-to-one perspective, meaning the gimbal movement makes for really precise aiming. (old build of the game, so pop-in etc. but you get the idea)
Exciting times.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:39 pm

M.Steiner
Aye, I was thinking of doing just that. Get used to switching over and using the HOTAS first and then start to bring the pedals in when I feel a little more comfortable with it. Rather than try and take both on at once. Fully expecting to suck with it at first (and that's when I've got it all set up lol) but looking forward to their arrival.

And yeah. Definitely gonna keep my eye on the rift for when the consumer model comes out (hopefully before the end of this year and not be *too* expensive). Just thinking about the potential of that (before watching the vid) in a game like SC gets me excited. Gonna be an incredible experience that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:48 pm

BlackDove
If you can, do some searches on X-55 configurations people have, as well as their sensitivity and deadzone settings in the control profile for the driver/software of the device in windows.

Get prepped that way a bit to see how others prefer their settings.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 pm

M.Steiner
Looks like we had the same thought on that as I have this bookmarked too :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:41 pm

BlackDove
Great, of course because the X55 is the default, this part'll be easy for you.

It was like pulling teeth for me. But great that you're on top of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
BlackDove wrote:But for flight sims and racing games, you are supposed to be sitting down. You are supposed to have the HOTAS. Flight stick in one hand, throttle in other. It is a one-to-one ratio of immersion. You can ask any current Rift user, who plays either SC or Elite, the experience is unparalleled.

Look at how natural the whole thing works with head movement. Not to mention the aiming, as he moves the gimbals with his head, at a one-to-one perspective, meaning the gimbal movement makes for really precise aiming. (old build of the game, so pop-in etc. but you get the idea)
Exciting times.
This was the setup that I tried at Eurogamer Expo last year, albeit for Elite. It truly is an amazing experience, and an amazing way to play the game.

One day when I have my own place I hope to get that setup. I really, really sucked at it, partly because of genre rust and partly because even though I'd used a HOTAS setup before it feels so different and alien when you're under Rift. But once you've adapted, I think it'll be an unparalleled gaming experience.

Truly, very exciting indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:50 am

M.Steiner
Do you guys know if they've alluded to what the eventual pricing may be for the consumer model btw?
Looking at their site, the latest dev kit is $350 so around £226. Are the retail versions going to be priced around the same do we know? or maybe a bit more / less?. That pricing point doesn't seem too bad really, cheaper than what I would have gussed at least.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:50 pm

BlackDove
It'll likely be sold at cost, but the problem is the quality.

They won't release until the quality of the tech is there for it to be without issues, but the tech in some small parts does not exist yet.

I know Samsung will be making 4k mobile phone screens this year, probably by Q4, or if delayed, by Q2 next year. After all, the Rift just uses their parts in the assembly. The problem is probably running that 4k screen at an acceptable framerate.

That said, it'll likely be sold at cost because of facebook. They will want to get the tech in as many hands as possible, in order to dominate the VR market completely. There's money to be made in having a monopoly within specific markets.

Expect it to be around the price of DK2, maybe a bit higher depending on the prototipity of the technological components within the device.

This is where they were at last year by the way, and his speeches are good to watch because he abso-lutely does not give any <censored> about discussing the problems with the tech in an open way, which is what he says in the intro (it's a lot of mobile talk because of Samsung's Gear VR, which is inserting one of their phones as the screens, but it's the same thing more or less, as the Rift uses the mobile phone screen as well):
He's due for another speech soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:58 pm

M.Steiner
My new toy arrived :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:22 pm

NF
Arbiter
Very nice! I've always wanted one of these Rhinos.. Quite jealous!
NF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:35 pm

BlackDove
M.Steiner wrote:My new toy arrived :D
Yeap, looks almost the same as mine.

Time to start sucking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 am

Ash
Finally shelled out for a X55, this thing is huge, I was expecting it to be larger than my last stick, but when you factor in the throttle it is big.
And thus based on the X55 I have to believe BDs' X65 is straight out of the space shuttle!!!

MS do you have a Star Citizen Schema you would be prepared to part with?
Otherwise its off to the RSI forums (with multi mode schema).

:sweat:
Ash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:28 am

BlackDove
MS has it all, he can guide you through it. Give you the .xml too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:50 am

Ash
Cheers BD.
Ash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:48 am

M.Steiner
Grats on the X55, Ash!. It looked kinda big in the pics and videos I'd seen of it but I never took any measurements so was a little surprised when I unboxed it all :lol:
As for schema/profile. I'm using this. Up to the "Additional Crap" part.
The only change I made was to rebind (ingame) Fire Group 2 to use the same red trigger as Fire Group 1.

I did run into some confusion a week or two ago when some of my stuff wasn't working (the throttle iirc) and realised they weren't mapped ingame but I figured out why that was. The keys are mapped in both the Rhino software (.pr0 file) and the game itself (.xml), and both work together to give you the complete setup. What you need to do is open up your task manager, find X-55 Rhino Profiler and make sure "run this program as an administrator" is ticked (I think this made a difference for me but I could be wrong) and that you have always selected the Star Citizen profile for it in the system tray. I leave my PC on for long periods of time so when I rebooted and loaded the game up to find my controls not working it took me a while to figure out what was wrong as I hadn't changed anything and the game hadn't been patched either. Was all down to the fact that I'd forgotten to re-load the Rhino profile.

I did start and attempt to remap everything in the game itself from scratch to match the above scheme but it was driving me mad heh. Once I figured out what I'd done wrong with the above I just stuck with that. Much easier to just dump those files in and go. Works fine when you're doing it right lol :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:29 pm

BlackDove
Why didn't you upload your .xml for him?

Return to “Star Citizen”