Person leaving a Group Question?

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Person leaving a Group Question?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:27 pm

M.Steiner
NightDreams wrote:Just to point out Rikimaru left SSX-WOW but is still part of SSX WC3 pls readd him.

Mip
[Edit]See this thread

Not wanting to start an argument and no offence to anyone here but should a person that obviously values raiding more than the community he was part so much so that he left the group because of it, really be part of any of our other groups? I also wouldn't want to see people think they can follow in his footsteps, leave the guild to progress more with raids and expect to remain a member.
What Snowstar did was one thing, leaving the group in order to be able to play closer with his real life friends - fair enough thats fine. Riki left for raids plain and simple.

I'd mentioned to Dodo this afternoon that i thought he should post on the forums and explain it himself since its not my call to say whether or not he should be readded. However for the reasons Riki left the WoW group, if it was my decision it would be no.

*split topic from HERE and added quote for reference* - Pad
Last edited by M.Steiner on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:Not wanting to start an argument and no offence to anyone here but should a person that obviously values raiding more than the community he was part so much so that he left the group because of it, really be part of any of our other groups? I also wouldn't want to see people think they can follow in his footsteps, leave the guild to progress more with raids and expect to remain a member.
What Snowstar did was one thing, leaving the group in order to be able to play closer with his real life friends - fair enough thats fine. Riki left for raids plain and simple.

I'd mentioned to Dodo this afternoon that i thought he should post on the forums and explain it himself since its not my call to say whether or not he should be readded. However for the reasons Riki left the WoW group, if it was my decision it would be no.
I would agree with this. The manner in which Riki left shows, to me, that he doesn't, didn't, and won't value the community we've setup here. He values personal gain through raids, that much seems plain to me, and rather than helping the community he was a part of for so long achieve that gain he preferred to sacrifice that community, and all his friends within it, to get what he wanted a bit quicker.

Imo we don't have a place for people like that here, he shouldnt be allowed to act like that, abandoning the group for his own gain, and expect to remain a member of another group. At the core of the SSX is friendship. People who are willing to throw that friendship away so freely to get themself further in the game are not SSX. Therefore for that reason Riki should not be allowed to remain a part of SSX WC3.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:27 pm

Dodotorpedo
Maybe we should split this and move it to the members forum?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:31 pm

Padishar
Should this be moved to the members section as it pertains to a possible policy/precedance for handling such behaviors?

That way we can help keep this add/remove thread as little cluttered as humanly possible, I could forsee dozens of pages of searching and difficulty attempting to follow discussions if we do such things here.
Last edited by Padishar on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:32 pm

Padishar
LOL, you beat meh to the reply m8 :cool:
Ok moving this thread....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:44 pm

M.Steiner
Cheers Pad. :thumb:
Added a link in my above post to the thread Riki posted when he left the WoW group.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:34 pm

BlackDove
Like I have been saying for the past four years - if a member leaves either by a kick or willingly for reasons that were negative to the SSX, the right for them never to be a part of us is always reserved as long as even one member wills it.

To translate - if even one person doesn't want them around, and they've left, they don't come back. Simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:45 pm

esd
I say given the circumstances of his leaving SSX-WoW, his admittance to SSX-WC3 should be denied.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:06 am

SSX-Killjoy
I do believe that falls under the no-compete issue that has been covered before. You can always leave and join other guilds, etc, you just can't do it in a way that competes against the SSX, and raid content certainly fits that description. :)

Although to be technical it isn't as much of a competition like PvP but more like a Ladder type setup. :)

If Riki is willing to support our efforts in WC3, why not WoW? I doubt we are the bleeding top edge of the WC3 front either.. ;)

So my vote is give him a chance to come back, but if it isn't worth it to him, then .. out with him.. :)
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:42 am

SSX-Ava
Leaving the way he did and for the reasons i see no reason for him to stay an ssx member.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:48 am

Isileth
If someone shows they dont respect the community they really shouldnt be allowed to be part of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:18 am

Galador
I think this situation revolves around a simple but important concept, that is, what one treasures most. Is it game content/game gain or community? The answer to that question, irrespective of the group within SSX in which you belong, is an indication where your true priorities lie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:22 pm

Brittfire
my thoughts...

too quick to judge, much too quick....
TBC update
tomato ketchup will be a required reagent for feign death and rogues can apply huntersmark with a crayon!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:04 pm

M.Steiner
i have decided to leave for the fact that i really would like to be on the forefront of raiding in game and to improve upon my self
He chose raids, personal gain & progression over the SSX group he was part of, his reasons for leaving completely go against what we're supposed to be about in the first place and to allow him to remain in any of other groups after leaving one group for such reasons would be ridiculous. This isn't anything personal against Rikimaru, i would say the same about anyone else that left for the same reasons.

Just as an example: Can you imagine what people would say if one day Ava decided to dump SSX-WoW so he could progress faster with AQ40/Nax and had the cheek to think he could do as he pleased in our other groups? He's my brother and even i'd tell him to go **** himself. :p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:40 am

Kon
Pretty much everything has been said. He shouldn't be a part of the SSX in any game.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:55 am

SSX-Killjoy
Brittfire, I can understand how it may look. And I would probably agree with you if this didn't scream "been there, done that.."

The key thing to understand here is that we are about friendship. It is friendship to hang out with your buds, work together to achieve something, play in many types of games together, to get other people interested in what you are interested in.

What isn't being a friend is playing against those you call friends, or refusing to help those you presume to call friends becuase they aren't as good, or capable as you. Now that is not to say that he isn't willing to help the SSX, or that he doesn't have friends in the SSX. He has just shown that that regardless of who is friends are, the game is more important.

I would challenge you to search our forums, the website, our chat logs, etc., for anywhere where we have said the game comes first, or that we aren't bigger than just a game. Our purpose is to have fun regardless of the game that we play. We hold high the belief that being friends is how you have fun in games. Being Friends requires attitudes and behaviours that build it, such has respect, trust, honor, etc. Rarely do you ever have a true friend who you don't respect, honor or trust. So that is our stated goal.

But we have learned, through much sad experience, that competition does not create true friendship. How can you trust someone you are competing against? How can you respect a person who believes that other people are more important that you are as their friend. Whom will you honor if winning is your main goal.

It is best to remember that this is not a debate on if the person was being malicious, or evil, or had bad intentions. Clearly the post and the responses reflect that it is not. This debate is about the character of the person, and whether we want the character of a person who's goal is only the success in a single game. Again, we are bigger than a single game or group of friends, and thus we see a conflict with the character.

I hope that this explains a bit more thoroughly what has been alluded to by most of the people posting here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:14 am

QuantumDelta
This took a while, as I had to consider a lot of things...
And, I've been distracted.

Riki's considerations for leaving were primarily raiding orientated, however it's not like he left for a guild of strangers, he does have RL friends in that guild and I'm sure that measured on his feelings.

Further more, in terms of talent potential and capability, Riki is one of the best rogues on Outland, now, whilst you may think SSX is about friendship - friendship goes beyond a game, the game itself should not sell one into servitude because of such friendship (...).

Riki has not turned his back on us, he's already offered to help us once or twice since he left, as a guild, I'm sure he would still continue to help our rogues if they sought him out for advice.

However, this "OMG THEY LEFT US LETS PUT THE HATE ON THEM" attitude certain, "Well respected" even, people carry around in this organisation is horrific, it frustrates me.

Perhaps I see more to Riki's side of things, but like I said, I don't care about server firsts...
SSX way or World Firsts, anything else for me is a waste.

I don't care about being the best, or the first, I want to push the envolope, I love doing it, I dance on the edge and enjoy it, but that is not for most of the Exiles in WoW, hense, why I moderate myself......often...

Riki probably feels the same way, he wants to forge ahead in the game, he plays for the same reasons I do, not for loot, lol, loot is immaterial, but only to find out just what his maximum potential is.

That is something that could never be realised in our guild, at least not in it's current state.
Although I see a few people suggesting change, I think they're only grasping at straws from frustration at the Huhuran progress.

To put it into perspective, someone leaving their favourite football team (player) because although they are having great times in playing for their dream club, their wasted there, and they will never reach their potential there, it's wrong for it to happen if people don't want to restrict themselves willingly that they should be restricted by others.

Sigh.

Someone told me yesterday a game is to be played to enjoyed, and friends are to be cherished above and beyond a game.

For some people, enjoying a game means different play styles or limits - or no limits, that you can't find in SSX.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:24 am

Kon
Actually, I agree with QD. In IRC I was told he /gquit after he didn't get a raid invite... This is very different.

EDIT: I kind of did the same thing when I bought Guild Wars, so I sympathize with Riki. I decided not to join SSX in favor of my Tribes/BF2 clan, who are very competitive in PvP. I did this not because I don't value SSX, but because I think PvP is fun.

I would think that Riki deserves to stay in the WC3 group.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:47 am

Padishar
Not trying to sidetrack from this discussion, but er... Sorry m8 ya lost meh (maybe its because I am a bit drunk, maybe not hehe).
I don't feel that WoW and GW are even in the same ballpark. Comparing GW which is 2 different Multiplayer games in 1, to WoW (an MMO).
GW is a PvE game and a seperate PvP game, which you said yourself we are not active in the PvP game.....
If there are not enough people to form a PvP group you CANNOT even be apart of the World Championships or Guild vs Guild battles (uh GuildWars) period; no if, ands or buts.

You decided from the start to play with friends in a game (which we all do daily, the ssx doesn't exactly cover EVERY game and we have friends all over). You didn't however up and /guildquit out of SSX GW because someone "didn't let you in to a group quest".

What does that have to do with someone being accused of leaving the SSX in WoW, for loot and/or personal gain?

:confused:

*Edit- I am not personally accusing Riki of anything, as I do not know him nor the true things that transpired the way they did. I was only bringing forth attention to a confusing comparison and asking how was it relating to the 'accused'.
Good Journey
Last edited by Padishar on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:52 am

SSX-Killjoy
I am pretty sure this is my first post where I have actually quoted myself:
Now that is not to say that he isn't willing to help the SSX, or that he doesn't have friends in the SSX.

It is best to remember that this is not a debate on if the person was being malicious, or evil, or had bad intentions. Clearly the post and the responses reflect that it is not.
While I do not believe that my post is majority of the spark of QD's irritation, I certainly feel that he was address what I had stated. If all I had said was the first sentence, I could understand why you would feel you should address it, but as shown above I did show that it was not a negative or mean thing that he had done. Nor that there was reason to justify why he left.

Thankfully, QD, you provided your own way of backing up what I said in my post about character. For example, this is your words:
I don't care about being the best, or the first, I want to push the envolope, I love doing it, I dance on the edge and enjoy it, but that is not for most of the Exiles in WoW, hense, why I moderate myself......often...
You don't care about being first or best, but you do want to see what there is out there, ie push yourself to achieve the games limits. Yet, you do not leave the SSX. In fact you lead the SSX. You find those who share your temperment and forge ahead. If you can't find like minded, you go with others outside the SSX to do it. BUT, you never leave the SSX.

That is the crux of the problem. I have not heard nary a word spoken in this thread that would indicate that anyone should not achieve the most that they can achieve in any game. We are not for limiting what a person is capable of doing. We just don't focus on that as a term for existing in the SSX.

Just look around at the many groups that we have. Every single one has a different play style (by game dev design, or just the people there). We don't cut people for playing differently. We don't (typically) scorn people for wanting the best from a game. Every group has the freedom to do what it takes to achieve whatever goals they deem to be for their group. Provided they promote friendship over the game itself. Ultimately games come and go, friends hopefully stick around. :)

QD, you have lead the charge in every game you have played where there was an SSX group. Many times you were already part of a group in a game before the SSX had a group there (or even back when we were SSC, ie Neocron). But, you dug in, made it work for the SSX, took charge, worked with the players, and as always gained the admiration of all those you met. You made friends and kept those friends, and worked always hard and diligently with those friends.

So, let me ask you, how would the people in the SSX WoW-EU group, who have come to depend on you like a parent, if you decided they weren't good enough for you any more and was holding you back; and you left to join another group who you felt had more experience, better equipment, etc. In general, a group that wouldn't hold you back.

Seriously, the SSX is not, nor ever will be about being the best. We have not ever put anywhere that our goals and purposes are to be the best, greatest, or most influential group in game. We can't be. I personally have believed always that people should be here becuase they love being here. No matter whether they play games we are part of or not. The idea of a family has been bandied around many many times. With that in mind, if the goals of game are more important than people you play with, the SSX isn't the place to be.

As you said in your own words:
For some people, enjoying a game means different play styles or limits - or no limits, that you can't find in SSX.
It backs up what I have said above. The only question you haven't answered is: If we aren't good enough in one game for someone, why should we believe that we are good enough in another for them? There is the rub. I will gladly walk away from this discussion if you can provide an answer to that question.

The problem is I don't think you can provide an answer that would alleviate the doubt. If you could, I would imagine you would have already used that excuse to be part of the more experienced guilds in WoW. The ones that don't frustrate you at every turn, and every attempt to help them. What is the frustration worth, if it is so simple to get up and leave the others behind? I am actually more surprised that you do not find the rub against you, that you are not worthy of sticking around with to help with the frustration. To get his elbows dirty and fight the long, good fight. To be the same quality leader you have proven time and time again.

You know that I bow to your courage QD. Your tenacity, and your love of the SSX is known and felt by all that know you. There are only a few people that I know of that the majority of the SSX tends to know and respect. You fall in that short list of people. You lead, and most people follow. You have earned that by always sticking the SSX members no matter the plight or the difficulty, isn't that the definition of being SSX?

So, are you sure it doesn't bother you that someone doesn't think we are worth the effort?

** NOTE **
I do not know Riki, nor have I played games with him. I have not known his full character, how he plays games, etc; since the beginning of this discussion. My points have all been founded solely on the fact that he left the SSX guild becuase we were not able to get to where he wanted to go. He must be a pretty great guy considering the discussion in his leaving message, and everyone saying how much they were going to miss him. I can only converse about him on the one fact I know, which is never enough to fully judge a person. While Riki maybe the one in question that this has happened with, this discussion should be kept to this one point:

What do we do with a member who may, or may not, be part of several groups, and has left the SSX group in a particular game becuase our group was not good enough for them?

I can see this thread approaching that dangerous ground of seeming to be a personal attack, and I do not want it to become that. Please keep this in mind as we continue this definitely interesting discussion. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:50 am

Brittfire
rikis choice to do wat he did is his own. he plays the game to death, even at work he plays...

qd is right in saying that he has rl friends in drama, and that y he was headhunted, his abilties were seen as benificial to them. for some this may seem as abandonment, but to me and others, i see this an an honour, to be picked above others from all out there to do the job ur best at doing.

to say wow in not as competative as GW or other games is silly, everybody likes to have the adge, wat ever game they're playing and in wow, theres a heluva lot of people to have the edge over...

when the ssx raid, we do it at a pace set for everyone, this pace doesnt always fit everyone, but its how we go it for the benifit of all tyhose playing. i enjoy mc where others dont, becouse i likw the speed clear, the minimal downtime, same as wat is happeniong wit bwl, fast runs, quik thinking, no time to get sloppy, it pushes u to a comfortable limit. but, with
aq40m, just as we had at the start of bwl, we take hours to do very little, we have a spurt of activity, then nothing, as people muddle around relising they arnt actually prepared for wat they came to do :(
short story, some people like to be pushes, like qd said, its a matter of how u play the game and in this case we have a large umber of players in this guild who could surpass their currant level of play given the chance, which is wat riki has done.

wat would u do, play ur monthly fees to play for the sake of playing or to play for the sake of being the best?
TBC update
tomato ketchup will be a required reagent for feign death and rogues can apply huntersmark with a crayon!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:52 pm

Dodotorpedo
Brittfire wrote: wat would u do, play ur monthly fees to play for the sake of playing or to play for the sake of being the best?
Pay for the sake of playing with people in SSX, witch is currently the main reason why I still play WoW.

Though I can understand why Rikimaru did what he did, I personally don't feel it was a good enough reason for him to leave. However I don't think it's a good enough reason to kick him from SSX either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:54 pm

Inquisitor
If it stops being fun, stop doing that.

That even means the SSX.

I know nothing about the details of the depature, other than what's here, and what is here is a little conflicted. I suspect there are things about it that are unknown to all of us, I suppose, yet again, I need to go ask people to try and get a full story.

Leaving becuase you are not getting what you need to enjoy the game is perfectly acceptable, generally speaking. It's not fun for you, you hsould change it.

People do rash, stupid things all the time. So long as those rash, stupid things don't hurt anyone (say, for instance, leaving and making it so hundreds of people are put out, and several others spend days working and money fixing the problems said stupid thing caused), it usually ok to forgive them.

So long as his departure only affected him, and he's behaving in WC3, it's up to the WC3 folks if they want him to play.

The PROBLEM will come, down the road, with people in other groups, who will ask themselves "can we trust him to stay?"

But, honestly, that's his problem. Always having to prove yourself and never getting that automatic pass will make his stay difficult in any group that contains people who were offended by this departure.

Scorn of once trusted friends is not a light punishment, trust is earned, and once lost, hard to re-earn.

For the record, I pay my monthly fees to play with certain people, and that has, at times, held me back from being the best in the game.

I'm already the best at what I do outside the game.
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:07 pm

Isileth
Well from the new information about his leaving I have come to a different conclusion. It sounds as though he didnt quit because he hated the guild or from an argument of some kind but that he wanted more from the game that he couldnt get in ssx. The fact that he has shown himself willing to help out and that he didnt just use ssx to get where he wanted gives the impression he still cares about the group even though he may no longer be in it.
In the end a game is only a game, you dont have to play with friends to still be friends. As long as everyone is still happy with him as a person being in the group I think he should be allowed to stay. This group is a lot more than just a few games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:51 pm

Messiah
There are many people around here who have left and returned, occasionally accompanied by grand statements of discontent. While not everyone agrees with the sentiment, I think we, as a community, tend to be more forgiving than most and we do tend to afford members another chance.

I have seen nothing that indicates any ill will or bad blood. There was never any statement of leaving the SSX as a whole or disagreement with our values. If he wants to play, is having fun, and others enjoy his company, I think this is a non-issue.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

Return to “Members”