Group Membership Communications

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
esd wrote:Yes, transparency was a key aim of the SSX at it's outset. Let's not forget that just for the sake of some voice chat server details.
Agreed. Im certainly against any form of private members only forum, I would be even if there was a good reason for having one. Having it just to store server info is just....unnecessary.

Creating one for any reason would be like a step back to the SSC to me, and thats certainly a backwards step for us imo.
Last edited by Anubis on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:17 pm

esd
Though on the flipside... if a secret's being kept anyway, does it matter what medium it's being kept on?
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:13 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Well the secret shouldn't really need to be kept in the first place, and it wouldnt be practical to keep it if the people who use that server are the ones wanting a public voice comms server just as IRC is public. By keeping the server info secret you're basically barring anyone from outside the SSX EVER stopping by.
Plus, the WoWEU vent/TS server info was never needed to be kept private, and that never had any major issues (that I'm aware of) with trolling outsiders. And even if the server did get those sort of problems, thats what SA's are there for. If its going to be a global SSX server then there will likely always be someone awake to moderate things if things get out of control, just like IRC.

Creating a forum for it would just encourage keeping secrets from outsiders. Not something that I think we should be doing.

Btw, still not sure if we want US WoW server info on or off this page. I will probably leave it off for now unless someone tells me otherwise. Hopefully I will get the page finished this weekend. Had a busy week homework wise or it'd be done sooner.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:16 am

esd
Well the secret shouldn't really need to be kept in the first place,
That's the real question. Why does this information need to be kept secret?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:24 am

Inquisitor
Off the page anny, and they are keeping the details secret to keep out random WoW people since it can't be moderated 24/7.

Its up to the person who pays the bills. That's where that decision belongs. Can we not discuss a decision thats not been made yet as if it had been ;)

If they want to share their vent server, we need to talk about the details of communicating that connection info without giving their admins a headache ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:39 am

Stracius
The only other option I can see that would satisfy all parties would be to set up a seperate vent server for everyone to use.

Question is, if a seperate one is set up would it get any use? (And who would foot the bill?)
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:00 am

M.Steiner
I don't see how vent/ts is ever going to become anything like IRC if the information for it is going to stay hidden away but oh well. Like anny mentioned too, the entire time that EU was using Vent the details for it were always viewable on both the forums and the website, a link to the site was on the official outland forums and the details for it were quite often given out over /rs on raids (even the odd ones that had non ssx members in). In all that time even though i didn't use vent myself i've never heard of any non ssx member coming on the server to cause trouble so i find myself asking why anyone would want to do that on the US one.. Meh.. anyway.
I also hate the idea of hiding stuff in private forums too tbh, i thought we learned from that and had things out in the open. I know nothings really been decided yet but just airing my view. The forum that was made the other day isn't "too" bad i don't suppose, so long as it stays the way it is. That being that nobody but Ed is able to post in there.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:44 pm

Inquisitor
Until I figure out a better way to do it, I can post teh US Vent info in that private forum. If someone can get me that info I can post it there, only members can see it.
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:15 am

Kon
1) Why not post it here if it has to be secret? There is ZERO reason for that read-only forum Quiz just put up.

2) I still don't understand how it is supposed to be secret, and yet people want to make if a requirment for membership at the same time. Also, in my Vent, there is no password for the US WoW server. This must have been added recently, and the only reason I can see for it is Trib. But Trib is gone, so....what the heck people? Who and why are we trying to keep out?
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:22 am

esd
Kahn wrote:1) Why not post it here if it has to be secret? There is ZERO reason for that read-only forum Quiz just put up.
Because this forum is viewable to anyone, not just members. Log out and see.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:32 am

Stracius
Kahn wrote:Who and why are we trying to keep out?
From what I can gather, other WoW guilds with vent servers have issues with arsehats jumping on it and sewing discord. They (our members using vent) don't want to put passwords on the server and deal with people forgetting what theirs was.

Question. Can the vent server be moved if problems should arise and we need a new address? If so, howabout we leave the info public and see how it goes. Just leave it in a sticky in the general or members forum.

I'd think if we were going to have problems with random people causing problems on vent, we'd be seeing them posting in the forums too considering they're not member-only access either.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:39 am

QuantumDelta
Stracius wrote:
Kahn wrote:Who and why are we trying to keep out?
From what I can gather, other WoW guilds with vent servers have issues with arsehats jumping on it and sewing discord. They (our members using vent) don't want to put passwords on the server and deal with people forgetting what theirs was.

Question. Can the vent server be moved if problems should arise and we need a new address? If so, howabout we leave the info public and see how it goes. Just leave it in a sticky in the general or members forum.

I'd think if we were going to have problems with random people causing problems on vent, we'd be seeing them posting in the forums too considering they're not member-only access either.
No, not very easily, moving vent servers means (normally unless you have a really good host) buying a new one.
It's easier to repass it but people in the WoW US group don't wanna pass it.
The WoW EU group is much more laid back about it, though Plov has the ultimate say on what happens.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Stracius
Soooo

We've had the member's only forum with the ventrillo info posted.

Anyone putting it to use? Just curious.

Return to “Members”