Delayed Common Sense

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Change the name or leave it?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Yes (change the name)
40%
No (don't change the name)
60%

Total votes: 30

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:36 pm

undrin
I would like to thank you for clearing that up. It helps everyone to know and remember that everyones input is helpful and useful in this process. As hard as it can be at times to see others viewpoints when they are not the same, it does not mean they are irrelevant.
Xbox One: Auravil come and visit sometime!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Lilleth

As I said, I was sure that wasn't the case, but wanted to get it off my chest.

Cheers :thumb:
/purr
Lilleth 85 Night Elf Druid-Resto (Mannoroth)
Raevynn 85 Night Elf Hunter (Mannoroth)
Zyllah 85 Night Elf Death Knight-Blood (Mannoroth)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 am

QuantumDelta
Well, group based variation on the theme of the name has already happened a lot, for a lot of different reasons.

Having been in one of those as a flavour of the games environment, I think it's fine on a case by case, didn't really do any harm, the important part is the connection to the greater community, though I realise that name was reasonably within reach of SSX connection wise.

The thing is there aren't really any rules bar the ones we make for ourselves, and all that really matters at the end of the day is the bond between the groups.

Whilst I don't think that should be lisence to run off and use any old name, I don't see the harm in some variation here and there to suit the game
(Read: Confederation in a Fantasy game? Community in a war game? eXiles in a hello kitty mmo? :P).

Founding members of groups whether it having had been in SSC or SSX always have a huge influence on the subculture of that group, whether they want to or not and that is always going to matter far more than what a petty name is.
They'll effect the perceived importance of the website, community and other games connected to that group.
Even if the group has the same name as the root organisation there's no real tie between them beyond the founding members anyway, and there are excellent examples of that on display already.

Whilst I actually agree with BDs sentiment, albeit far less vigorously, I think he, and we subsequently, may have overcomplicated this somewhat.

Since I'm obviously a lot less fussed about it than most I don't really have a conclusion other than that, but I figured it was worth throwing in, that it's only as complex or simple as we make it.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
As the transition to phpBB3 is now almost upon us, I'm going to call this poll closed now. Clearly the no vote has won in this instance, however I agree that due to the large proportion of yes voters this issue deserves re-examination at some point in the future. It will likely not be raised again within this current Arbiter term, but I expect that whomever the next Arbiter is will have it in the forefront of their mind considering the strong split amongst the community.

I will leave this thread open for continued discussion of the issue, but I am un-Announcing it - as for now at least it is no longer a pressing issue.

Thank you to everyone who took part in both the vote and debate. Your contributions are valued and appreciated as always.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Return to “Members”