Transition Preparations

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Transition Preparations

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
As I mentioned in the thread regarding our name, we're soon going to be going a transition of sorts, or a 're-branding', as both the Main Site and the forums make the switchover to a new style and a new platform respectively.

In order to prepare for this, Ed has sensibly suggested that we cleanup the forum wherever possible to ensure that we don't take masses of useless data with us to phpBB3. To this end, you may notice some changes over the next few weeks prior to the transition. Currently, the following are planned:

1) Deletion of all posts/threads within the "Archive" forum. - DONE

2) Deletion of all Usergroups, including Moderation Groups, attached to currently Archived forums with the exception of the Global Moderators Usergroup for obvious reasons. - DONE

3) Deletion of the archived Oblivion and Tabula Rasa forums, and the threads they contain. - DONE

4) Merging of the Freespace 2, Dawn of War, and Dark Horizons: Lore forums into a new "Single Player Games" archived forum. - Not to be done

5) Deletion of all Accounts over a year old with no posts in the last year, and fewer than 5 posts overall. (Note: The criteria for this purge may be tightened, should we see masses of unused accounts created within the last year). - DONE

6) Archival of the Guild Wars and Age of Conan Groups. - DONE

Please note that this list may grow if I discover other elements that need attending to - I will post in this thread should this happen to keep you all abreast of what is going on in regards to this cleanup.

- Anny
Last edited by Anubis on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Stracius
I'm rather fond of the FS2 forum, as well as the DH:L one. I'd suggest keeping these (at least the FS2 one) seperate from the Single Player Game forum. They still serve purpose from time to time. Besides, they're hardly single player games :p .
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:I'm rather fond of the FS2 forum, as well as the DH:L one. I'd suggest keeping these (at least the FS2 one) seperate from the Single Player Game forum. They still serve purpose from time to time. Besides, they're hardly single player games :p .
Fondness is a fair point - I too would be very sad to see the FS2 forum go since it was my first group, but (imo at least) it's not a good reason to keep them considering the contents will still be kept in our Archive.

The problem is that neither has been in any way an active group since late 2005/early 2006, and it is very doubtful that either will revive into an active group again in the future (and indeed, it would be impossible in Lore's case). However fond we are of having that forum tagged at the bottom of the index, it *is* little more than clutter in the database - clutter that it's fairly unnecessary to move over. And it's not much of a cleanup if we're only deleting one forum and renaming another :blank:

If people feel strongly about it we *can* keep them, though you should bear in mind that all archived groups will becoming subforums of the Archive forum after the move anyway - so they will not be visible from the index regardless). I just feel that, in all honesty, it's two database entries we don't really need when the tales they tale will still be stored elsewhere.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:56 pm

undrin
I suggest closing the AoC forums as I am not sure that it will reactivate any time soon also.
Xbox One: Auravil come and visit sometime!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:23 am

Kon
I'd vote to keep the FS2 forum separate, as 3.6.10 is looming (the MediaVPs are already out), and I know that I will definitely be spending some quality time with the multiplayer. Of course I can't speak for the others, but I hope others are just as enthusiastic. ;D
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:14 am

Anubis
Site Admin
undrin wrote:I suggest closing the AoC forums as I am not sure that it will reactivate any time soon also.
Thanks, noted, I've added that to the list. Such a shamethat the game has tanked so hard - the group seemed to be doing really well at one point.

As for the FS2/Lore forums, anyone else agree with Kahn and Strac? I can scrap that point and just keep the forums seperate if people want me to. Won't be doing anything for a few days at least, so feel free to interject with your thoughts before then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:42 am

M.Steiner
I do still think (as i did when i suggested archiving those forums in the first place) we need to be careful with stuff like this. Different people are always gonna be fond of certain groups and we can't keep doing the same in the future for every group that's special to someone and just leave them be. To be completely honest i think they avoided the archive for long enough as it was heh.
Half the problem i had with the index before though was that the amount of inactive group forums in the archive looked really bad being visible on the same page as our active forums, didn't really give a good impression to new visitors imo. But, since all these will be subforums of the archive in BB3 and they won't be visible from the index anyway, i don't mind so much if we leave them alone i guess.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
As an update, all of these are now done save for the forum merger, which I am still mulling over whether or not to proceed with.

The criteria for the removal of disused accounts remained as is stated in the above post, as there was no obvious influx of masses of disused accounts over recent months.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 am

Anubis
Site Admin
So everyone is aware, I have decided not to merge the forums, as I am not sure it is entirely necessary and, in the end, would make relatively little difference to the size of the database in comparison to the account clearout.

However there has been a clearout of General Forum Stickies (as you may have noticed) by BD - who noticed the very outdated state of most of them. Thanks to him for that. Whilst it will make no real impact on the size of the database, it means one less job to do after the move :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 pm

undrin
Great job and thank you for all the good work.
Xbox One: Auravil come and visit sometime!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:40 am

Stracius
I didn't notice that the Archive was emptied out before dumping a post into it. Figured I'd give a heads up in case it needs to be taken care of before causing any problems.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:58 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:I didn't notice that the Archive was emptied out before dumping a post into it. Figured I'd give a heads up in case it needs to be taken care of before causing any problems.
It won't cause issues - emptying it just means that we are porting less - seemed little point carrying 400 'junk' posts with us for no reason.

Mods feel free to still use the Archive as normal, I'll just delete anything that has made it's way there again before we move.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Syro
I would be happy to do house cleaning on the LoTRO forum. Save a few posts that would have meaning for folks. Delete the rest. I will take responsbility for it, since I was deeply involved in most of it. What do you think, Stracius?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:15 pm

BlackDove
No need.

You should leave all posts as they are. Never know what they'll be good for in the future, if for anything, they distinguish the past activity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, no need for anything like that. We are not deleting former group posts as a rule, save in the case of Oblivion and Tabula Rasa that managed only 40 or so threads between them.

Emptying the Archive was simply done to get rid of junk - and former group posts/threads certainly don't fall into that category :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 pm

BlackDove
For the record, I'd gut you like a stuck pig if you tried to delete any Freespace stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:58 am

Syro
Haha, BlackDove. :lol:

I have a lot of junk posted in LoTRO; I am sure it has value to someone. ;)

All good. :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Ozany
Been trying to keep track of all the suggested changes and those already implemented, but I have a question. Has anyone suggested anything as far as the screen shot gallery? I like seeing how the other groups are doing, but I only play EvE and sometimes I have trouble figuring out what game the screenie is from. Some are self evident from the days I played Final Fantasy (Chocobo's look the same).

Is it possible to make sub-folders of screenies from each game?

By no means do I want to create any more work for you guys as you have done so much as it is. I also know that some of the screenshot names include the game title. But there are some that I can't decipher where they are from. Just an idea.
Ozany :thumb:

P.S. Great work on the main page :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:24 pm

M.Steiner
This seems to be a popular request hehe.
Anny is going to re-add a tab feature to the gallery page which we used to have, once BB3 is up and running (shouldn't be long now with any luck). Once he's got that working there will be links near the "next/previous" buttons which will have group names listed "WoW|FFXI" etc, and clicking one of those will display just the screenshots for that particular game. ;)

http://www.shatteredstar.org/forums/vie ... 6668#56668
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “Members”